PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 3

badger
11/12/2012, 12:03 PM
Anyone else play this and get thoroughly frustrated with it?

I thought the idea sounded cool --- an AC game (i've played through every other one for the main consoles, not the sidebar handheld console ones) based in Revolutionary War 'Mercia. **** yeah!

And then, the following happens:

1- Walk into rocks, walk into walls, walk into tons of things that I shouldn't be able to walk into.
2- Run up the wall... fall. Run up the ledge... fall. Run up many things that look I should be able to run up and NOT fall, or at least be able to grasp the top... and fall.
3- Climbing the same tree over and over for viewpoints. Oh look! ANOTHER ONE OF THESE DAMN IDENTICAL TREES TO CLIMB! derrrrrrrp
4- Side mission fail due to environmental snafu --- you mean those redcoats that are completely ignoring me are suddenly chasing after me? GONG!!!!! GONNNNNNNNG! The alarm is sounding! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-ooooooooooooooo! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-oooooooooooo!
5- Ninja horse... can only walk on smooth surfaces... that you cannot see, because everything is covered in snow. Oh dammit, my horse got stuck in a ****ing rock. Bye bye. Awww, he's neighing at me not to leave him. Poor horse. (whistle) Hey! The horse just re-appeared out of nowhere!
6- I'm on a boat! I'm on a boat! Sh!t, the boat just crashed into a rock... another rock... it's stuck on a rock and other ships are firing cannons at me... rock rock rock... **** **** ****

Anyways, if you have played AC3, tell me how wrong I am (or agree) or just share your own misery stories. It's incredibly how buggy and glitchy and just DAMN ANNOYING this game is!

Midtowner
11/12/2012, 12:20 PM
It's not a horrible game. Pretty compelling storyline. I've only run into your horse bug one time. Also, on what planet can horses not swim?

The combat is really repetitive, there are like 3-5 kinds of bad guys to kill plus bosses. Stealth missions are annoying, I once got sucked into completing part of the main mission just because I had stopped playing I guess in the wrong place.

achiro
11/12/2012, 12:59 PM
Glitchy as heck. I put it down to play Halo4 and haven't picked it up again. I will eventually to finish the storyline but don't know if I'll bother with full sync on each mission like I have on the others.

badger
11/12/2012, 01:05 PM
Glitchy as heck. I put it down to play Halo4 and haven't picked it up again. I will eventually to finish the storyline but don't know if I'll bother with full sync on each mission like I have on the others.

Full sync is full-on frustration. You may find yourself thinking "I could totally do that, I'm gonna reload from the checkpoint to get the full sync!" and after 20 failed attempts and 20,000 f-bombs, you WILL LET IT GO :P

badger
11/12/2012, 01:06 PM
SPOILER NUISANCE: At one point, you and the present day group fly to Brazil for a little sparkly piece o' nothing. And then... ho hum, you're back in the abandoned cave. Seriously?! Stupid stupid stupid stupid!

achiro
11/12/2012, 01:09 PM
SPOILER NUISANCE: At one point, you and the present day group fly to Brazil for a little sparkly piece o' nothing. And then... ho hum, you're back in the abandoned cave. Seriously?! Stupid stupid stupid stupid!

The game is full of crap like that. Cut scene, end cut scene, walk 20 feet to go through a door, another cut scene starts, end cut scene 10 minutes later, then you have to run from one end of a map to the other to get to another cut scene...

badger
11/12/2012, 02:06 PM
The hunting part is kind of fun. The first time I encountered a cougar I was really surprised and then I was like "Oh yeah, this is a cougar, not a cute little zoo kitty"

Also, if anyone playing it has forgotten that you need to level up your "*** Bros," hehehehehehehe, hold LB (not sure what PS3 button is) and hit X so that you can send them off to Quebec or wherever for trainin' missions.

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2012, 02:32 PM
The PC version has yet to be released, but I intend to grab it on release day.

PC gaming>console gaming>mobile>board games>playing doctor.

Err...wait...

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2012, 02:38 PM
Along the same lines as AC3, I decided to give 'Dishonored' a try. They have some similar elements, but the setting is totally and completely different.

Dishonored is absolutely fantastic -- highly underrated.

StoopTroup
11/12/2012, 03:09 PM
I've noticed that the best games are hard to find on the shelf of places that sell used games. You might keep that in mind unless you are someone that has to have the next Version or the newest games before everyone else.

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2012, 03:11 PM
I've noticed that the best games are hard to find on the shelf of places that sell used games. You might keep that in mind unless you are someone that has to have the next Version or the newest games before everyone else.

I didn't mind buying used games when I had an Xbox. It's usually a much better way to go unless you're just dying to have something at release date.

However, you can't buy PC games used. Unless it's ebay I suppose.

StoopTroup
11/12/2012, 03:20 PM
We have a PS3 and a XBOX Kinect that just took a dump. I need to see what's up with it. We don't play any PC games anymore.

badger
11/12/2012, 03:28 PM
Unless you love the AC series, avoid AC3. Look up the cutscenes on youtube, or watch someone else walk into the mountains and run up and fall over obstacles that shouldn't be obstacles in the first place.

Troop, our PS3 crapped out on us right around the beginning of the year. Would play blu rays, would NOT play game discs. So, we turned in everything for a 3DS... we haven't played it too much, but it looks cool I guess

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2012, 03:32 PM
Unless you love the AC series, avoid AC3. Look up the cutscenes on youtube, or watch someone else walk into the mountains and run up and fall over obstacles that shouldn't be obstacles in the first place.

Troop, our PS3 crapped out on us right around the beginning of the year. Would play blu rays, would NOT play game discs. So, we turned in everything for a 3DS... we haven't played it too much, but it looks cool I guess

I love AC, but the controls take a lot of getting used to. It even takes me awhile to get used to them again when I haven't played one of the games for awhile.

Killerbees
11/12/2012, 05:19 PM
I am done with it. Too glitchy to worry about full sync.

Seems like QA in general is going down the last few years on games. Mainly talking about the established series.

I will give Dishonored a go. It looked like a combo fighting game, and I dont like them.

badger
11/12/2012, 05:53 PM
I am done with it. Too glitchy to worry about full sync.

Seems like QA in general is going down the last few years on games. Mainly talking about the established series.

I will give Dishonored a go. It looked like a combo fighting game, and I dont like them.

Read "The Trenches" comic? The comic itself isn't that funny, but it has tons of funny stories about video game QA that are worth reading. Here's a link (http://trenchescomic.com/tales)

It seems that the problem isn't a lack of QA, but rather, an unwillingness to change bugs and glitches before a game's initial release (in this internet era, they usually release patches right after release) so that they can make it to market by the holidays.

I miss the one-liners of the original game. The absurdity of Middle Easterners speaking in English just adds to the humor, but when they repeat the same lines over and over as your assassin does crazy things, it's just perfect, so I repeat them now. We are also calling the new guy "Ezio" even though we all know he's "Connor," because after three Ezio games, who gives a crap about "Conner." So, "DAMMIT EZIO!" everytime something goes wrong. :D

"Why is he doing that?"

"He's going to hurt himself. And when he does, I'm not going to help!"

OUTrumpet
11/12/2012, 05:58 PM
For some reason, I'm not encountering a lot of these glitches problems, but I don't think I'm very far. Completed full sync through chapter 6 with most missions only requiring one to two play-throughs of some missions, most you can get a full sync the first shot. The only exception was the General Braddock quest, and I couldn't shoot the dang barrels. Kept wanting to aim and shoot at them. Found out didn't have to aim a little later.

Conner doesn't seem as well developed as Ezio unfortunately.

Only glitch I've encountered is the game freezes up sometimes, but that could just be my XBox as it's freezing on other stuff too. Little confused about how the game enters into 'bullet-time' sometimes, but is very inconsistent. Conner runs around like a bad-***, then others he's derping about.

I love the pirate missions.

Badger, on the boat missions, the less sail you have the easier it is to maneuver. When I need to turn sharply, take the sail all the way down to none.

And when doing free roam, don't hold down A. Just use the Right Trigger and you won't fall.

badger
11/13/2012, 09:47 AM
Protip: You will do the most badarse fighting maneuvers if you just BUTTON MASH.

I got the idea while watching baby badger hitting the keyboard buttons on one of her toys a last week. It was so cute, that I decided to mimick it in AC3:
1- Hold right trigger
2- Hit ALL FOUR buttons, X Y A and B as much as possible, even rubbing my finger across all four so that they all get hit pretty much simultaneously.
3- ???
4- Ezio... errrr, I mean Connor... is now pulling out his pistol, his arrows, everything to finish enemies. He's taking two musket redcoats and making them stab each other with their muskets, and THEN they fire them into other enemies. He's tripping them, sliding behind them, finding random stuff to volley himself off up, while burying his hatchet in skulls, in stomachs, in their legs, KILL KILL KILL.

In short, PROFIT.

setem
11/13/2012, 02:26 PM
Damn game was super short! I like the story line but the game play did not live up to the hype.

I want a whole game based on Achilles and a whole game based on Hatham and then mordern era games.

8timechamps
11/13/2012, 02:53 PM
My son was dying to get AC3, so we pre-ordered it, and I picked it up on release day. He played it the first Friday night he had it, and hasn't played it since. I'm assuming it's because of the things mentioned here.

Now he wants Halo 4, any reviews?

I'm a PC gamer, and am currently addicted to Civilization V. Anyone play that?

badger
11/13/2012, 02:56 PM
My son was dying to get AC3, so we pre-ordered it, and I picked it up on release day. He played it the first Friday night he had it, and hasn't played it since. I'm assuming it's because of the things mentioned here.

How old is your son, just out of curiosity? $60 games should not picked up and dropped for another $60 game to be picked up and dropped if he's not footing the bill himself :)

Or at least that's what I'm going to tell baby badger when she's old enough to be begging for the latest toys :P

8timechamps
11/13/2012, 03:04 PM
How old is your son, just out of curiosity? $60 games should not picked up and dropped for another $60 game to be picked up and dropped if he's not footing the bill himself :)

Or at least that's what I'm going to tell baby badger when she's old enough to be begging for the latest toys :P

I have two, one 13 and the other 17. I really have no issue with buying games. Between the two of them, they get plenty of use, and at some point get sold back for credit. It really isn't a regular routine, it just happens that he really wanted AC3 and Halo4. Other than the Call of Duty games, the only games he gets regularly is NCAA Football. But, I'll be honest with you, I'm a pushover for pretty much anything they want. And they know it.

badger
11/13/2012, 03:26 PM
So you're the guy in the commercial that gets told "nine dollars" when they want to get credit for a used game, eh? :D

To answer your original question, used to play Civ 5 and appreciate that you cannot stack endless units on one square anymore. Alas, our Windows program has saved endless Internet History et al so our system is outta disk space and everything will need to be cleared soon, Civ 5 included, heh.

Halo 4 should be better than AC3. It's Microsoft's signature series and the only exclusive worth mentioning that they have, so they are not going to do a crappy game with it (and yes, I know it's technically Bungie, not Microsoft)

SicEmBaylor
11/13/2012, 04:39 PM

Yep. I was addicted to all of the Civ games. I spent hours of my life as a kid with Civ I and Civ II. I didn't play Civ III all that much but I played the hell out of Civ V. Civ V is a bit too arcadish and I miss the old mechanics, but it does have its virtues.

SicEmBaylor
11/13/2012, 04:41 PM
So you're the guy in the commercial that gets told "nine dollars" when they want to get credit for a used game, eh? :D

To answer your original question, used to play Civ 5 and appreciate that you cannot stack endless units on one square anymore. Alas, our Windows program has saved endless Internet History et al so our system is outta disk space and everything will need to be cleared soon, Civ 5 included, heh.

Halo 4 should be better than AC3. It's Microsoft's signature series and the only exclusive worth mentioning that they have, so they are not going to do a crappy game with it (and yes, I know it's technically Bungie, not Microsoft)

Bungie is the production studio/developer while Microsoft is the publisher. Microsoft is a publisher -- they don't produce "in house." Micrsoft, EA, Activision are publishers while studios such as Bungie, 2K, Bethesda, etc. are all developers.

SoonerLaw09
11/13/2012, 04:55 PM
I don't console. PC games have better graphics and are generally less buggy, esp. if you wait to get them for about 6 months so the developer has a chance to patch any problems (and the price drops to $20). I will most likely pick up AC3 and Dishonored next Summer.

achiro
11/13/2012, 06:01 PM

Halo 4 campaign is super short. I honestly think you could finish it in an hour, maybe less, on easy and skipping cut scenes. If they only want it for the campaign, rent it. If they like the online multiplayer, this one is much improved with a weapons "load out" instead of a mad dash to the best weapon on the maps.

GottaHavePride
11/13/2012, 09:57 PM
Funny, my die-hard Halo friends say Halo 4's multiplayer is worthless...

I'll play the big RPGs on a PC, but I prefer consoles for goofing around. Though even Skyrim and the Dragon Age games I play on consoles. The last PC RPG I played extensively was Neverwinter Nights. Great game. NWN2 was buggy as hell, and never got patched correctly.

OUTromBoNado
11/14/2012, 07:51 PM
Ezio was a badass. Conner is a whiny b!tch.

Turrible optional objectives are turrible. "Don't push or shove any one," during a winding, turning chase season has to be my favorite. The mobile eavesdrop where the guys you're tailing detect you just for being in the eavesdrop zone is a close second.

8timechamps
11/14/2012, 08:25 PM

Yep, that's me. Most of the games my kids get are played to death, so by the time they want to trade them in, they're almost worthless. Still, it's better than nothing.

I started buying most (read: all) of my PC games on Steam. It's worked out well, because about two months ago my home PC crashed. Fortunately, everything I had on Steam was still there.

TanTanFeil
11/15/2012, 02:31 PM
It is incredibly disappointing. I thought it was going to be really awesome. I'l just stick with Halo 4. Halo never disappoints.

Jacie
11/15/2012, 07:03 PM
Am a fan of Civ V but lately have been playing World of Tanks . . .

SicEmBaylor
11/15/2012, 07:04 PM
Am a fan of Civ V but lately have been playing World of Tanks . . .

Love WoT as well, but I suck at it.

SoonerAtKU
11/20/2012, 11:54 AM
Bungie is the production studio/developer while Microsoft is the publisher. Microsoft is a publisher -- they don't produce "in house." Micrsoft, EA, Activision are publishers while studios such as Bungie, 2K, Bethesda, etc. are all developers.

Bungie actually doesn't do Halo any longer. They let Microsoft buy out the IP, and now it's developed by in-house 343 industries which was created essentially to carry on the Halo franchise after Bungie. Bungie is developing a new IP now for release next year.

With that said, Halo 4 is really good, particularly the multiplayer. The wife and I are enjoying it a great deal.

badger
12/17/2012, 04:10 PM
So I decided to finish Sequence 12 just to see how it ended.

What a letdown. Don't finish Sequence 12. Go hunt bears or something instead.

C&CDean
12/17/2012, 04:43 PM
Nobody posting in this thread may ever, EVER call me nerdly for my Potterfetish. Sheez. Geeks.

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 05:10 PM
So I decided to finish Sequence 12 just to see how it ended.

What a letdown. Don't finish Sequence 12. Go hunt bears or something instead.

What is Sequence 12?

Anyone play War-game: European Escalation? I love strategy games, and this one is the hardest I've come across.

achiro
12/17/2012, 05:14 PM
Nobody posting in this thread may ever, EVER call me nerdly for my Potterfetish. Sheez. Geeks.

It's the cape and wand you wear that make you a nerd, nerdly.

badger
12/17/2012, 05:15 PM
What is Sequence 12?

Anyone play War-game: European Escalation? I love strategy games, and this one is the hardest I've come across.

Remember when Mario ended with World 8-4? Sequence 12 is like 8-4. I'm telling you do NOT go into Koopa's castle and rescue the real princess!

SicEmBaylor
12/17/2012, 05:19 PM
I'm enjoying AC3 after finally getting through the overly torturous "tutorial" phase that I swear lasted 6 hours.

Howver, I may play me some Minecraft tonight.

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 05:20 PM
Remember when Mario ended with World 8-4? Sequence 12 is like 8-4. I'm telling you do NOT go into Koopa's castle and rescue the real princess!

Where do I find this Sequence 12? I loved me some Mario brothers.

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 05:21 PM
I'm enjoying AC3 after finally getting through the overly torturous "tutorial" phase that I swear lasted 6 hours.

Howver, I may play me some Minecraft tonight.

Minecraft is the game my youngest plays 75% of the time. It's like digital Legos.

SicEmBaylor
12/17/2012, 05:26 PM
Minecraft is the game my youngest plays 75% of the time. It's like digital Legos.

Better actually since you can't step on the damned things!

badger
12/17/2012, 05:29 PM

Imagine the creepers going BLAM! when you step on one. It might bring a smile to your face instead of a cringe :)

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 05:53 PM

Excellent point Sic'Em!

Midtowner
12/17/2012, 05:57 PM
Ever since I started playing AC3, I have this odd urge to kill any redcoats in sight. It is unknown whether I can control this urge.

olevetonahill
12/17/2012, 06:18 PM
Ever since I started playing AC3, I have this odd urge to kill any redcoats in sight. It is unknown whether I can control this urge.

Now thats ironic aint it? I just bot an Assault rifle and I have an urge to start killin dumbassed lawyers