PDA

View Full Version : Mike Stoops does or does not have the defense blitz Geno Smith?

Tear Down This Wall
11/11/2012, 04:35 PM
Well?

Curly Bill
11/11/2012, 04:36 PM
I'm going with NOT.

I think we'll fear he'll run by us if we do. I'm saying we play contain for the most part. Dude will likely have all day to throw.

rock on sooner
11/11/2012, 04:38 PM
Ima gonna guess just a few surprise blitzes, when ya least expect it.
Plant Mr. Smith on his butt one or two times and he'll hear those
"footprints" the rest of the game.

OU_Sooners75
11/11/2012, 04:42 PM
Their OL is not very good. In fact from what I've seen of them their OL is no better than KUs.

If our DL can dominate, we will likely spy Smith and play man up on the receivers.

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2012, 05:07 PM
We'll go after him a few times. He can hurt us running, but not nearly as bad as Klein could.

8timechamps
11/11/2012, 07:06 PM
This is a trick question, because Geno Smith is NOT a running quarterback. Seriously, the guy runs less than Landry.

So I voted for Sandwich....mmmmmm

StoopTroup
11/11/2012, 07:18 PM
I'm just trying to remember when Mike had his head up his a$$.

I'm still hanging my hat on Defensive Savior.

JiminyChristmas
11/11/2012, 10:47 PM
Yes, I think he does have the defense to blitz Smith if he wants. Probably shouldn't do it much though with their style.

I thought the 7 DB and 0 LB package against Baylor was very interesting and I bet we see it a bunch against WV. Should be more successful even since Smith is not the runner that Florence is. I really think the thought behind it is, yes, we will be vulnerable against the run, but this limits big plays and quick scoring drives. The defense for Baylor, and WV for that matter, are so bad, that we should outscore them easily if we make them grind out long drives. Statistics prove that once you get to around play number 10 in a drive, the offense is going to make a mistake of some kind.

StoopTroup
11/11/2012, 11:16 PM
You know...20th was actually pretty close to what I thought we'd be ranked defensively. Is it worth 1.5 Million? I guess that depends on whether or not you really hated Brent Venables. I have always thought they worked great together but we made sure that wasn't ever going to happen again. At least not without spending a small fortune for our Defensive Coaching Staff.

I'm glad Mike is back but I sure hope he doesn't start asking for more money anytime soon. I'm cool with a raise if we win it all in the next two years.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1042/p1

trpltongue
11/12/2012, 06:25 AM
The only problem is that you can't have offensive turnovers if you play this style of defense. Looking at the Baylor game, if we don't turn the ball over the game isn't anywhere nearly as close. Even if we don't score points on those 2 drives, we at least change the field position and make Baylor go on 80yrd, 8 minute long drives rather than the 6 play 35 yrd drives they got off of turnovers. That easily cuts 7 points off the board for them. The rest of the way out I doubt we'll play the same defense. Mike even mentioned the coaching staff re-evaluating their defense against Baylor.

If for some reason we do play the same 5db defense, Landry better be a hell of a lot better than he was against Baylor. He threw 1 pick but they easily should have had 2 others.

Along those same lines, the db play better improve as well. Again, we only gave up 2 big plays but Baylor QB missed open receivers on at least 3 other plays that would have gone for 30+ yard gains after the receivers beat the safetys / corners.

thecrimsoncrusader
11/12/2012, 07:29 AM
The only problem is that you can't have offensive turnovers if you play this style of defense.

Actually you can. Oklahoma just has an atrocious front seven by Oklahoma standards.

FirstandGoal
11/12/2012, 09:08 AM
Actually you can. Oklahoma just has an atrocious front seven by Oklahoma standards.

True, but we have what we have and that isn't going to change by Saturday. I didn't get to see the game and I'm trying to find it on youtube so I can watch parts (the parts we screwed up on) of it and see what it looked like. HolyKyle's highlights are awesome, but they're highlights. If anybody finds the video online, please let me know.

Tear Down This Wall
11/12/2012, 11:05 AM
It doesn't matter that he doesn't run regularly. Baylor's crappy quarterback had his season high rushing against us. Notre Dame's freshman quarterback, whose passes hang up like punts, ran all over us.

Geno Smith has run for close to 100 before. Our final three opponents have quarterbacks who will pull the ball down and run if needed.

The problem with not blitzing is obvious - (1) it allows the quarterback more time to throw, (2) it give the quarterbacks big chunks of green to run through on the off chance that we are getting pressure.

If you watched the K-State/TCU game Saturday, you saw a defensive unafraid to blitz a quarterback who can scramble well. They threw off his timing in the passing game, sacked him a ton, and caused a couple of turnovers.

I think our coaches don't trust our players, and that is why we're not blitzing.

Given the nature of the final three opponents offenses, it wouldn't surprise me if we rung up one more loss on the season due to a quarterback burning us with his feet. Our defensive coaches seem resigned to the fact that we can't defend the run and have given up on pressuring quarterbacks with the ability to scramble.

Sad, really. But...guess Barry was right about the ability of this year's defensive line.

owenfieldreams
11/12/2012, 11:28 AM
I've compared Smith to Seneca Wallace.......he's a pass first, run second QB. He gets a lot of criticism on WVU boards for not running enough, particularly when pass plays break down and there are clear running lanes.

If he plays to form Saturday, we should be able to defense the Mountaineers well.

goingoneight
11/12/2012, 01:05 PM
Baylor on Saturday is a prime example of what I was saying about the whole Venables-M. Stoops argument. We still had meltdown games in 2000-2003 once or twice a year with Mike on hand. It's going to happen if the offenses you play are good enough.

PalmBeachSooner
11/12/2012, 02:30 PM
Baylor on Saturday is a prime example of what I was saying about the whole Venables-M. Stoops argument. We still had meltdown games in 2000-2003 once or twice a year with Mike on hand. It's going to happen if the offenses you play are good enough.

I wouldn't call the Baylor game a defensive meltdown. It was obvious that we sold out to stop the passing game. I rarely saw more than one LB on the field and for the most part a four man DL. We were begging Baylor to run and that's what they did. The two OU turnovers made this game a lot closer than it should have been.

sooneron
11/12/2012, 02:44 PM
I don't think he will, as per, the genius that sat behind me on Saturday. "He don't trust Harris back there..."

SoonerorLater
11/12/2012, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't call the Baylor game a defensive meltdown. It was obvious that we sold out to stop the passing game. I rarely saw more than one LB on the field and for the most part a four man DL. We were begging Baylor to run and that's what they did. The two OU turnovers made this game a lot closer than it should have been.

A helmet sticker for you sir. I thought it was agreat job by the defense. It was clear from the start that we were not going to let them get comfortable in their passing game. The turnovers plus the fact that their running back is pretty good made the game closer than it should have been.

As to blitzing Geno Smith. Maybe a little here and there. We will see if WV wants to try the same tactic Baylor did , spread the field and do a lot of QB runs. Actually Baylor tried to do the same thing Florida did to us with Tim Tebow.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/12/2012, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't call the Baylor game a defensive meltdown. It was obvious that we sold out to stop the passing game. I rarely saw more than one LB on the field and for the most part a four man DL. We were begging Baylor to run and that's what they did. The two OU turnovers made this game a lot closer than it should have been.Sounds about right, but if their QB was a more accurate passer, and/or if the receivers held on better, we could have been throttled.

8timechamps
11/12/2012, 04:11 PM
I don't think some of you realize how little Smith tucks the ball and runs. Not only does he rarely run, if he does, he's not going to kill any defense (maybe a BE defense, but not a big boy defense). I'm telling you, he may be slower than Landry. His strength is his arm. He has a cannon, and if hot, can put the ball into tight spaces. Baylor's Nick Florence is a young Michael Vick compared to Geno Smith.

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2012, 04:25 PM
Sounds about right, but if their QB was a more accurate passer, and/or if the receivers held on better, we could have been throttled.

A lot of ifs. The passing game was tough for both side due to the wind, not just our strategy to take away the pass. And if they had had more success, we certainly could have made adjustments to match the situation. As long as the scoreboard was in our favor, there was no such motivation. The game wasn't as close as the score. BU was in the situation that they needed 2 x 8 pt TDs with a successful on-side kick in between at the end of the game which means OU had 99.5% odds of winnning at that point. It made for a ho-hum game, but we were much closer to throttling BU than the other way around.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar plan against WVU, but it wouldn't be a good plan against the Pokes. I hope we show a little more fire from now on too. I expected a little letdown against ISU after the ND game, but I thought we would come out charged up at home against BU. Didn't look that way to me, but "fire" is a hard thing to judge.

PLaw
11/12/2012, 05:27 PM
Sounds about right, but if their QB was a more accurate passer, and/or if the receivers held on better, we could have been throttled.

RLIMC - hmmm??? Florence was leading the No. 2 passing offense into Norman. They had some drops, but they are one of the best passing attacks this year.

Boomer

11/12/2012, 06:23 PM
RLIMC - hmmm??? Florence was leading the No. 2 passing offense into Norman. They had some drops, but they are one of the best passing attacks this year.

BoomerLookit all the guys BU had open and Florence missed them, as well as the passes he hit that were dropped. I still contend we got lucky there. I know the wind was a big factor.

11/12/2012, 06:43 PM

Boomerlots of drops on sat., and lots of inaccurate passes to guys who were open.

OU_Sooners75
11/12/2012, 06:53 PM
lots of drops on sat., and lots of inaccurate passes to guys who were open.

Quite a few of those drops were because of good plays by the defenders.

It was a boring game to watch, IMO, because it just seemed like the entire team was goiing through the motions.

It seemed like the players weren't really excited about playing against Baylor.

11/12/2012, 07:41 PM
Quite a few of those drops were because of good plays by the defenders.

It was a boring game to watch, IMO, because it just seemed like the entire team was goiing through the motions.

It seemed like the players weren't really excited about playing against Baylor.We had better be amped on WVU, since they have(nasty)scoreboard on us, and know it, and believe we are beatable...and, they have a losing streak they want to stop.

We have essentially been pooh-poohed by the ESPeNis media recently. I wasn't impressed last week either, and think we're very beatable right now.

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2012, 07:51 PM

It seemed like the players weren't really excited about playing against Baylor.

So I'm not the only one that thought the team was uninspired. I usually try not to infer what is going on inside the players heads, but the last 2 weeks the team looked flat to me. There are no "big" games left like KSU, UT or ND left to play. But a BCS bowl would be nice and any of the last 3 teams we play can beat us and take that away if we our guys are not ready for a fight.

11/12/2012, 08:01 PM
So I'm not the only one that thought the team was uninspired. I usually try not to infer what is going on inside the players heads, but the last 2 weeks the team looked flat to me. There are no "big" games left like KSU, UT or ND left to play. But a BCS bowl would be nice and any of the last 3 teams we play can beat us and take that away if we our guys are not ready for a fight.Agree. I don't even think we were really inspired to play K-State, since we throttled them so badly in Manhattan last year.

8timechamps
11/12/2012, 11:13 PM
So I'm not the only one that thought the team was uninspired. I usually try not to infer what is going on inside the players heads, but the last 2 weeks the team looked flat to me. There are no "big" games left like KSU, UT or ND left to play. But a BCS bowl would be nice and any of the last 3 teams we play can beat us and take that away if we our guys are not ready for a fight.

Make it three of us. I almost started a thread about the game being boring, but I thought maybe it was just me. I don't know if I'd say the team looked flat as much as it seemed we turned up the energy level when Baylor was close, then dialed it back when they weren't. I hope it's something we can do, like flipping a switch, and be able to turn it on when needed...and not a sign that there is some issue with just being flat.

I felt like the game was over after the first OU drive. For some reason this year, I can tell you what kind of game it's going to be after two offensive/defensive possessions. I've never really seen an OU team like this before this season. Not worrisome, just odd.

soonercastor
11/13/2012, 12:57 AM
Lol because he's black he must be a dual threat QB.

colleyvillesooner
11/13/2012, 01:11 AM
I don't think some of you realize how little Smith tucks the ball and runs. Not only does he rarely run, if he does, he's not going to kill any defense (maybe a BE defense, but not a big boy defense). I'm telling you, he may be slower than Landry. His strength is his arm. He has a cannon, and if hot, can put the ball into tight spaces. Baylor's Nick Florence is a young Michael Vick compared to Geno Smith.

Once again you don't know what you are talking about. He has 83 yards rushing. Don't get much more Dual threat than that.

;)

OkieThunderLion
11/13/2012, 09:39 AM
Lookit all the guys BU had open and Florence missed them, as well as the passes he hit that were dropped. I still contend we got lucky there. I know the wind was a big factor.

Wind was a HUGE factor for Baylor's touch passes. Florence was trying to put a lot more air under the ball than Landry was, and it hurt them.

OkieThunderLion
11/13/2012, 09:43 AM
Once again you don't know what you are talking about. He has 83 yards rushing. Don't get much more Dual threat than that.

;)

Geno only has 83 yards rushing, and Florence only had 200+, before going for 80+ against OU. If Mike goes with the 4-0-7 defense again. You can expect Smith to double his season output as well!

Tear Down This Wall
11/13/2012, 10:36 AM
Guys, Baylor sucks and their quarterback sucks. The are f'ing 4-5, with two of those wins against Sam Houston State and UL-Monroe, okay?

They also beat half-assed SMU, and ... Kansas. Their lone Big 12 win is against Kansas.

Those goatf*ckers shouldn't have been within four touchdowns with us. There was no reason for our defensive coaches to go into a shell against a team that had to make a fourth quarter comeback against f'ing UL-Monroe.

What the hell planet are you people living on? They suck. In any normal universe, their quarterback has -83 yards rushing against us.

What in the hell has happened to the expectation level of our defense? Dropping seven to defend against Baylor because they might burn us if we blitz? Those guys are nothing but collapsible cardboard penis hats!

Crazy.

11/13/2012, 11:27 AM
Motivation, caused by fear and respect. Didn't appear to happen last week. We had better amp it up for the NE Toofless Couchburning Hillbillies on Sat evening. Otherwise, we might become known as collapsible cardboard penis hats.

From another board:

"Yes. We get everyones best shot. If the team comes in not focused at night in Morgantown......it will be more embarassaing than the Fiesta bowl when they took it to us back 5-6 years ago. Dangerous team."

8timechamps
11/13/2012, 02:31 PM

;)

He might as well be a running back that throws occasionally!

8timechamps
11/13/2012, 02:36 PM
Guys, Baylor sucks and their quarterback sucks. The are f'ing 4-5, with two of those wins against Sam Houston State and UL-Monroe, okay?

They also beat half-assed SMU, and ... Kansas. Their lone Big 12 win is against Kansas.

Those goatf*ckers shouldn't have been within four touchdowns with us. There was no reason for our defensive coaches to go into a shell against a team that had to make a fourth quarter comeback against f'ing UL-Monroe.

What the hell planet are you people living on? They suck. In any normal universe, their quarterback has -83 yards rushing against us.

What in the hell has happened to the expectation level of our defense? Dropping seven to defend against Baylor because they might burn us if we blitz? Those guys are nothing but collapsible cardboard penis hats!

Crazy.

I really think Mike and Bob took the "better safe than sorry" approach. Mike pretty much admitted it in the post game press conference. We'll never hear it (because it was a win), but I think with hindsight being 20/20, they would do it differently if they got a do-over.

I don't think we'll see the same thing against WVU. First, because they run a completely different offense, and second, because what we ran clearly left us vulnerable to the run.

Still, you have to give Baylor some credit. They do have the best offense in the country, and we did keep them below their season average...and we won the game.

Tear Down This Wall
11/13/2012, 02:40 PM
I can't bear the thought of losing to the King of Collapsible Cardboard Penis Hats, Dana Holgorsen. If we lose to WVU, we are losing to a school that doesn't even think twice about defense.

Awful.

Now that we have these two crappy schools in our conference, my dream is for WVU to become so beaten down that they toss Holgorsen and he's forced to take his gimmicky offense to a D III school like his mentor, Hal Mumme at McMurry.

My dream for TCU is that they become so beaten down that they cut Patterson loose and we hire him as co-defensive coordinator here. We need a DC or co-DC who doesn't quiver at the thought of line up opposite of Baylor.

Tear Down This Wall
11/13/2012, 02:47 PM
I know this: TCU put pressure on the kid from Baylor, he ran for -8 yards against them, was sacked three times and threw four interceptions...and TCU beat the hell out of him and Baylor 49-21 at Waco.

Are we saying that we can't expect the same thing out of our defense that Gary Patterson gets out of TCU's defense? TCU's defense is more talented than our? A defense built on Mountain West Conference competition?

Come on, man.

8timechamps
11/13/2012, 03:12 PM
I know this: TCU put pressure on the kid from Baylor, he ran for -8 yards against them, was sacked three times and threw four interceptions...and TCU beat the hell out of him and Baylor 49-21 at Waco.

Are we saying that we can't expect the same thing out of our defense that Gary Patterson gets out of TCU's defense? TCU's defense is more talented than our? A defense built on Mountain West Conference competition?

Come on, man.

You know you can't compare what one team did to another, and what we did. For example: We beat Iowa State 35-20, then KSU Struggles to beat them 27-20. By the comparison logic, we should have beaten KSU. The point is, you never know.

OU_Sooners75
11/13/2012, 07:13 PM

Come on, man.

Good ****ing Lord man!

You need to change you handle to "ChickenLittleTheSkyIsFalling"

WOW....HOLY ****ING SHT MAN!

Jason White's Third Knee
11/14/2012, 08:40 AM

Boomerlots of drops on sat., and lots of inaccurate passes to guys who were open.

The wind was 25mph.

Tear Down This Wall
11/14/2012, 11:09 AM
You know you can't compare what one team did to another, and what we did. For example: We beat Iowa State 35-20, then KSU Struggles to beat them 27-20. By the comparison logic, we should have beaten KSU. The point is, you never know.

Yes. We should have beaten KSU...all who were in attendance agree...and, again...lack of QB rush allowed them to get by us. Mike needs to get after the quarterback - statue, scrambler, or runner.

PalmBeachSooner
11/14/2012, 03:27 PM

This is true but I'm sure the defensive look they were seeing confused them and disrupted their timing. The whole premise was to disrupt their passing game and that's exactly what they did.

PalmBeachSooner
11/14/2012, 03:32 PM

Come on, man.

TCU did what they had to do. They aren't OU and can't put up points like we can. They had to do all they could to shut them down. OU slowed them down and out scored them. Take away the meaningless TD at the end and the two turnovers and the OU-Baylor score would have been more lopsided.

goingoneight
11/14/2012, 03:39 PM
Am I the only one here who thinks OU fell asleep on Baylor and could have done a lot better against them? Seems like the prevailing opinion is that OU was out-classed by Baylor. I certainly thought we COULD HAVE lost, but never felt like we would once our guys woke up.

8timechamps
11/14/2012, 07:10 PM
Am I the only one here who thinks OU fell asleep on Baylor and could have done a lot better against them? Seems like the prevailing opinion is that OU was out-classed by Baylor. I certainly thought we COULD HAVE lost, but never felt like we would once our guys woke up.

No, you're not alone.

First, I thought Landry came out ON FIRE, and after a couple of drops in back to back drives, he definitely lost some rhythm. I honestly never felt like Baylor was in the game, and that the Sooners kind of went through the motions. I felt like we could turn it up if needed, but it never really came to that (with two exceptions: just before half, and when Baylor got within 2 points), in both cases, we pulled away.

StoopTroup
11/15/2012, 12:50 AM
We still have a good team no matter what some of you think.