PDA

View Full Version : Jenni Carlson

kevpks
11/11/2012, 12:09 PM
I think the dumbest thing about this article is that it assumes that OU is auditioning for a BCS at-large spot. We're not auditioning for anything. Win out and we're in. If you look at the standings, it's full of conference champs and SEC teams (only two of which can go). If someone wants to say it's debatable whether we'll win out, I agree. We need a better turnover margin and more consistency. However, someone who thinks we're looking for style points has no clue how the BCS system works.

http://newsok.com/article/3727654#disqus_thread

cherokeebrewer
11/11/2012, 01:21 PM
Jenni catches a lot of flak, but that article seems pretty decent to me...

StoopTroup
11/11/2012, 02:15 PM
A nut rolls into a squirrels foot when the wind is high....especially in Fall weather.

kevpks
11/11/2012, 02:26 PM
For this article to meet my standard of good or decent, it would have to actually analyze the BCS landscape. If you are going to write an article about OU's BCS chances, doesn't it make sense to actually discuss other at-large contenders? Whether the Sooners win the next three games by 1 point or 30 points, they're still in a BCS bowl.

SicEmBaylor
11/14/2012, 03:02 AM
Things I wish Jenni Carlson would stop doing:
-Writing about sports.

Things I wish Jenni Carlson would start doing:
-Making me a sandwich.

SoonerMarkVA
11/14/2012, 10:56 AM
Wishes about Jenni Carlson you'll likely be granted:

badger
11/14/2012, 12:13 PM
I sometimes wonder if her name were Jerry Carlson if you all would lay off poor Jenni sometimes.

However, since I'm a (SPOILER ALERT) chick, I'm free to disagree with her without being accused of being sexist... b!tch.

Here's my strongest case for OU not needing to worry about anything except winning out: The BCS standings:

1 Kansas State 10-0
2 Oregon 10-0
3 Notre Dame 10-0
4 Alabama 9-1
5 Georgia 9-1
6 Florida 9-1
7 LSU 8-2
8 Texas A&M 8-2
9 South Carolina 8-2
10 Florida State 9-1
11 Clemson 9-1
12 Oklahoma 7-2
13 Stanford 8-2
14 Nebraska 8-2
15 Texas 8-2
16 Oregon State 7-2
17 UCLA 8-2
18 USC 7-3
19 Louisville 9-1
20 Louisiana Tech 9-1
21 Michigan 7-3
22 Rutgers 8-1
23 Texas Tech 7-3
24 Oklahoma State 6-3
25 Washington 6-4

Now, you might look at the numbers initially and thing OMG! There are only 10 spots in the BCS and OU is No. 12! That means that we are out!

If you said that, you haven't been paying attention to the BCS at all during the BCS era. Smack smack smack. Slap slap slap.

Here is how the BCS will REALLY work out, if everyone wins out as much as they can:

Championship: KSU (Big 12) vs. Oregon (Pac 12)

Notre Dame has had too many close wins to be in the same league as those two dominating everyone. That said, Notre Dame is definitely in an at-large guaranteed spot, as is No. 4 Alabama if/when they win the SEC:

Another game, probably Sugar: Notre Dame (stupid indy) vs. Alabama (SEC)

There is a guaranteed spot (unfortunately) for the top ACC and Big East teams, which will likely be the Orange:

Orange: Florida State (ACC champ) vs. Louisville (Big East champ)

And, with the bowl bans and sh!t in the B1G, they'll get their usual Rose Bowl spot, and because they give a damn about tradition, look for them to at-large a Pac 12 team, Stanford is eligible:

Rose Bowl: Nebrasky (B1G champ) vs. Stanford (Pac 12 at-large)

Now, that leaves the DREADED Fiesta Bowl. Obligatory curse words: F*** f*** f***!!!!! There is NO CHANCE IN HELL that the SEC does not get an at-large team when six ****ing teams ranked in the top ten (poll bias much?). So, one spot goes to the SEC. I'm not going to bother naming who it is. Let them bicker about it while chanting their conference's name. Morons.

Fiesta Bowl: SEC at-large versus .... US.

The only other option is Clemp at this point (ranked ahead of us at No. 11) but I think we can all recall what they did with their BCS invite last year (WVU crushed them into orange juice at the Orange Bowl). They travel well, they're rabid, but nobody travels as well as OU, except... an SEC school. And as per the BCS rules, no more than two from a conference get a BCS invite.

So... us versus the SEC. In the damned Fiesta Bowl. Woot. :mad:

TheUnnamedSooner
11/14/2012, 01:18 PM
I sometimes wonder if her name were Jerry Carlson if you all would lay off poor Jenni sometimes.

If her name were Berry Trammel, she would get even more flak.

badger
11/14/2012, 01:34 PM
If her name were Berry Trammel, she would get even more flak.

I said that I sometimes wonder... and then, yes, I realize that in general, sports fans hate sports media, regardless of who it is.

ddub0224
11/14/2012, 02:05 PM
Clemson only has two games left, the last notable game being against South Carolina who could still be a top 10 team at the time they play.

badger
11/14/2012, 02:10 PM
Clemson only has two games left, the last notable game being against South Carolina who could still be a top 10 team at the time they play.

Sadly, Clemp and Bowden State are in the same ACC division, so no knocking each other out in the ACC championship game

goingoneight
11/14/2012, 03:36 PM
OU-Clemson and Alabammer-Notre Lame are awesome bowl matchups IMO.

I could live with that, too. Because I think KSU could beat Oregon.

badger
11/14/2012, 03:56 PM
OU-Clemson and Alabammer-Notre Lame are awesome bowl matchups IMO.

I could live with that, too. Because I think KSU could beat Oregon.

I think it would be justice (or funny) to see OU go up against the defense led by someone they used to call "Vulnerables"

FtwTxSooner
11/15/2012, 04:42 PM
If texass wins out, yes I know an extremely unlikely case, it is possible they'll finish in the top 14 of the BCS standings. If that happens, a BCS bowl can choose them over us, even though we still could be higher ranked after winning out our season.

Scott D
11/15/2012, 04:58 PM
If texass wins out, yes I know an extremely unlikely case, it is possible they'll finish in the top 14 of the BCS standings. If that happens, a BCS bowl can choose them over us, even though we still could be higher ranked after winning out our season.

be fair, if that happens it's because you know who campaigned like the whore he is.

Mississippi Sooner
11/15/2012, 05:21 PM
Yeah, but if that happened, we could do something really cool like...oh, maybe fly a banner over the stadium to remind them who won the RRS. Derp.

mainline13
11/15/2012, 11:05 PM
Things I wish Jenni Carlson would stop doing:
-Writing about sports.

Things I wish Jenni Carlson would start doing:
-Making me a sandwich after we have sex.

FIFY, and now I will agree with you.