PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Leaves Washington State, calls coaching staff "Abusive"

agoo758
11/10/2012, 09:59 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8618108/marquess-wilson-washington-state-cougars-leaves-team-alleges-abuse-coaching-staff

My take: People really need to more careful when throwing the word abuse around. Because it can do great damage to peiople who don't deserve it.

This usually applies to women when they call ex husbands or boyfriends "abusive", but can also apply in this case.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/10/2012, 10:01 PM
Wah!

Wishboned
11/10/2012, 10:01 PM
You can't suspend me. I quit!

agoo758
11/10/2012, 10:06 PM
I have to say I'm a bit suprised. I was excepting him to walk into leaches office and apologize. I guess I just expect too much out of people. Wilson pretty much destroyed his career for no reason.

StoopTroup
11/10/2012, 10:27 PM
I wish the NCAA would let him fill a spot on Tubberville's Roster. He could use another guy to slap. :D

8timechamps
11/10/2012, 11:08 PM
I have to say I'm a bit suprised. I was excepting him to walk into leaches office and apologize. I guess I just expect too much out of people. Wilson pretty much destroyed his career for no reason.

Me too. I guess when you're used to slacking off and still being a star, your head is too big to learn a valuable life lesson.

Something tells me Leach isn't kicking the dog over this.

nighttrain12
11/10/2012, 11:17 PM
I guess it depends on if any more players back him up. This is one of those accusations you pretty much have to make as you go out the door.

badger
11/10/2012, 11:47 PM
KU fired Mangino, citing abuse of players.
KU hired Turner, knowing that he would never abuse the players.
So instead, opponents abused KU players while Turner befriended them.

nighttrain12
11/11/2012, 12:57 AM
Leach's team was a 16 point underdog tonight and after a 7-7 first Q, they got outscored 30-0 in the 2nd Q. Sounds like his team quit on him.

StoopTroup
11/11/2012, 01:16 AM
Leach's team was a 16 point underdog tonight and after a 7-7 first Q, they got outscored 30-0 in the 2nd Q. Sounds like his team quit on him.

Just saw that score on ESPN. They must be hallucinating bruins out their a$$es on the new legal Hydro up there.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/11/2012, 01:44 AM
Let's play multiple choice here...

You're a senior Wazzu wide receiver with some talent stuck in a program that hasn't done poot your entire career there. You get a new coach, Leach, who is known to not be a player's coach as was your previous coach, Wulf. But, he has the distinct advantage of having been wildly successful at one of the nation's most forlorn tumbleweed bins, and has major cred in the passing game.

This coach also may, in an effort to get you to do things the way he wants them done, call you a miserable drip of a c*m-fart out the butt of the lone remaining fat little drag queen following last call at the local gay bar.

Choose one of the following:

a.) Say, "Yessir, I am a miserable drip, I will correct it and get better and help the younger guys too so we can be the start of something good here."

b.) Shut it down for the year and just start looking forward to graduating and getting ready for the NFL combine.

c.) Pitch a fit, take your ball and go home, and do everything you can to undermine the whole staff on your way out the door which, if the wrong people are listening, could contribute to robbing your former underclass teammates of some opportunities for success in the near term.

This cat chose "c." Correct? What was it I heard the other day... "Adversity does NOT build character. It exposes it."

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2012, 02:01 AM

I doubt it destroyed his career. It will cause him to be grilled harder at the NFL combine, but if he can tell good story and convince them he won't be a problem, he'll be okay.

Soonerfan88
11/11/2012, 02:06 AM
Somehow I don't think the coaches in the NFL are going to care about his feelings too much either. If he isn't meeting expectations there, he won't have to walk out. He will be quickly cut during the preseason.

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2012, 02:16 AM
Somehow I don't think the coaches in the NFL are going to care about his feelings too much either. If he isn't meeting expectations there, he won't have to walk out. He will be quickly cut during the preseason.

I disagree. Mental toughness is a big factor in the NFL and the teams do a lot of interviewing at the combines and workouts. It's not just 40 times and vertical jumps. Wilson is a talented player, so he'll be drafted, but doing poorly in those interviews could cost him big $$ in draft position. If he's smart (or quits being dumb), he'll seek coaching on how to handle those interviews. Hint: blaming Mike Leach for being a big meany won't fly.

agoo758
11/11/2012, 02:24 AM
I doubt it destroyed his career. It will cause him to be grilled harder at the NFL combine, but if he can tell good story and convince them he won't be a problem, he'll be okay.

What story do you hear more? Player whines and quits team, then remerges as an NFL star a year later? Or player whines and quits team, goes undrafted, out of the nfl after a short tryout never to be heard again?

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2012, 02:55 AM
What story do you hear more? Player whines and quits team, then remerges as an NFL star a year later? Or player whines and quits team, goes undrafted, out of the nfl after a short tryout never to be heard again?

I haven't seen many stories of seniors with NFL talent quitting teams, so I don't have data on that. I've only seen him play in a couple of games, but he looked like he had a lot of potential and he is always touted by announcers as a player to watch in the game. I'm just going by that. And I never said he would be an NFL star; I just said he can get by this impulsive act of stupidity if he puts it behind him.

Flagstaffsooner
11/11/2012, 07:30 AM
forlorn tumbleweed bins:D

tulsaoilerfan
11/11/2012, 09:15 AM
Kid could be telling the truth, you know? Amazing that you all pile on the kid when you don't know the whole story

Flagstaffsooner
11/11/2012, 09:31 AM
The little snot nose should transfer to texass where he could whine with Mack.

Flagstaffsooner
11/11/2012, 09:42 AM
Kid could be telling the truth, you know? Amazing that you all pile on the kid when you don't know the whole story

I would tell you to grow up and grow some balls, but I realize that dosen't happen in tulsa.;)

cleller
11/11/2012, 10:05 AM
I'm another one of the "one year with Leach has made me a fan for life" crowd, but would like an objective look at things.

I don't hold with cry babies, and think the Wilson kid should have stuck it out. But, that's not the situation. Could something be going on? Leach has not been close enough to keep my attention this year, but his team has not turned around as quick as we may have hoped.

They got trounced in the 2nd quarter last night, but I see they came back in the 3rd and 4th and only lost 44-36 vs a good UCLA team. Who knows? When Leach was here, he had many fewer headaches. He had Heupel to brainstorm with. The finest coaches in the world all around him. Pretty easy to be the get-along guy in that situation.

tulsaoilerfan
11/11/2012, 12:03 PM
I would tell you to grow up and grow some balls, but I realize that dosen't happen in tulsa.;)

I don't live in Tulsa; all im saying is i think its bs that people are piling on the kid; no one knows what really happened and until they do they should shut up; everyone here gets all pissed off if anyone bad mouths the OU kids so give this kid a break.

Okie35
11/11/2012, 12:20 PM
I don't live in Tulsa; all im saying is i think its bs that people are piling on the kid; no one knows what really happened and until they do they should shut up; everyone here gets all pissed off if anyone bad mouths the OU kids so give this kid a break.

He was suspended. I won't say he did this out of spite but its bad timing. How would anyone believe what he's saying? If other teammates come out and say this then yea

birddog
11/11/2012, 12:35 PM
Hard to believe leach isnt doing something wrong after the James shed deal and now wazzu stuff. Maybe not abuse but something's definitely amiss

Okie35
11/11/2012, 12:47 PM
Hard to believe leach isnt doing something wrong after the James shed deal and now wazzu stuff. Maybe not abuse but something's definitely amiss

Kids not getting playing time or neglected in practice are taking it too hard.

EatLeadCommie
11/11/2012, 01:21 PM

The James thing was pretty much proven to be bogus. This current thing seems to be pretty obviously about a kid with a hurt ego who sees his NFL prospects decline when his playing time declines. His feelings are hurt, so he drums up "abuse" allegations because he knows Leach is tainted from the previous allegations. This is about hurt vaginas and little more.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/11/2012, 01:22 PM
I just hope Leach 1)isn't guilty of ACTUAL abuse. 2)if he's innocent, as I suspect, doesn't get into any real trouble with the WSU bigwigs. If the kid is a bum, trying to ruin a fine man, then I certainly don't wish him well. Leach has coached for many yrs. without those type of charges leveled at him, until the James kid did that at sandaggy.

agoo758
11/11/2012, 01:23 PM

Regardless of how a coaching staff may act, it's quite immature to just up and quit in the middle of the season, especially if you are a leading receiver and a NFL prospect.

I am going to give a reputable. 20 plus year coach who has found success everywhere he's gone the benefit of the doubt that he's not an evil sadist out to destroy his players.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/11/2012, 01:24 PM
The little snot nose should transfer to texass where he could whine with Mack.That would be my recommendation as well.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/11/2012, 01:56 PM
Marquess Wilson killed five hookers.

StoopTroup
11/11/2012, 02:27 PM
Marquess Wilson killed five male hookers.

FIFY

MyT Oklahoma
11/11/2012, 07:07 PM
I wish the NCAA would let him fill a spot on Tubberville's Roster. He could use another guy to slap. :D

Thank you Sir, may I have another?

8timechamps
11/11/2012, 07:13 PM

Go back and read the stories about this kid over the past few months. He was the BMOC before Leach got there, and then he became just another player that Leach was calling out. I've watched WSU play three times this year, and he played in two of those games. He gave up on plays, didn't block when he clearly should have, or just flat out took himself out of plays. My opinion of the kid isn't baseless.

StoopTroup
11/11/2012, 07:22 PM
Thank you Sir, may I have another?

Insert Repeating gif.....lol

Seamus
11/11/2012, 07:27 PM
Lot of wizard's sleeves on the Paloose ...

StoopTroup
11/11/2012, 07:28 PM
I don't live in Tulsa;

I know that I knew this after meeting you at one or two (was it?) Tailgates. I forget from time to time. I was going to buy a hockey pkg this year but we decided to just go when we can again this year.

We almost bought a 66ers pkg until I found out they moved from the Civic Center to the Spirit Center in Bixby. We decided to make a few Thunder Games and Shock Games instead of drop the dough on the 66ers. I was pretty sad as I took lots of kids last year to their games and this year...I'm really doubting now that I'll even go to one game unless it's free. You should have heard the deal I turned down for Season Tickets. I almost had them coming to pick me up and take me to the games....lol

MountainOkie
11/11/2012, 08:17 PM
Explain this to me: You volunteer to go out onto the field and get tackled, hard, play after play by 200 lb. plus dudes. You spend the entire next day/parts of next week soaking in hot water for the bruising and the pain. If you're lucky you go through the season without a serious injury, but it's very possible you can get injured and require surgery, you can even get messed up for life.

You have no problem with any of that. But if some coach says some "mean" words to you (perhaps deserved, perhaps not) that's what you can't handle? That's the abusive part of the game of football?

bluedogok
11/11/2012, 08:42 PM
When you've had your *** kissed all your life and told how great you are...then yeah, to a guy like that, he considers it abuse. Everyone is supposed to treat him like his crap don't stink.

badger
11/12/2012, 09:30 AM
I read a Wazzu take on the matter.

In a nutshell, the player in question was a top WR talent and expected to go fairly high in the NFL draft --- likely first round.

THIS WAS A FACE SAVING MOVE.

After three measly minutes of Sunday evening conditioning following the UCLA loss, this top draft pick receiver decides that he's had enough of college drills and crap and was ready to move on to the pro level.

After he had quit (or got suspended), his stepfather et al realize the consequences of such actions -- he was being labeled as a quitter, as a guy with no work ethic that had been spoiled his entire life with yes-men "good job, good effort, you're the best in the world, kid!" types that never questioned his awesomeness. Suddenly, he was not a first-round prospect anymore.

He needed an excuse for "quitting," and fast. He couldn't wait anymore, because EVERYone was labeling the prima dona drama queen as a spoiled brat that was a coach's nightmare --- someone who thought they were above practice (que Allen Iverson: "Not an actual game, we're talking about PRACTICE!"), someone who thought they were above coaches, someone who thought they were above their teammates.

The only way he can justify leaving the conditioning drill and being "suspended," and quitting the team on his own accord by virtue of not returning after quitting the conditioning drill, was to cling to the Adam James/Craig James drama of the Tech days.

He said Mike and his assistants physically abused him.

FACE SAVING MOVE.

If Mike wasn't in the middle of coaching duties this season, I wouldn't be surprised if he sued this brat and his family for slander/libel!

CatfishSooner
11/12/2012, 10:57 PM
I guess the step-dad wrote the monologue

badger
11/13/2012, 11:24 AM
I guess the step-dad wrote the monologue

Wilson: Step-daddy! I'm home
Stepdad: WTF, son! Shouldn't you be at football practice right about now?
Wilson: Eff football practice, I'm going to the NFL!
Stepdad: ...come again?
Wilson: NFL!, step-daddy! You said that after three years of pretending to be a college athlete, I could go the NFL and... GET PAID!
Stepdad: ...oh dear lordy lord.

(damage control, lawyering up and emails sent to media later)

Leach: Oh great, an Adam James sequel.
Media: Sorry, what did you say about confirming Wilson's account that you physically abused your players???
Leach: There is no truth about it at all.*
Media: So you did physically abuse your players, then?
Leach: No, no, no. Next question.*

*Actual Leach quotes

My goodness, broke Craig James must have a smile on his face right about now. He might not be a U.S. Senator, he might have depleted his SMU-ill-gotten fortune, ESPN might not be looking to re-hire him and his no-talent son is probably going to be living at home longer than most post-college kids should, but dag nabbit, he's killed five hookers again!**

**CJK5H