PDA

View Full Version : No Gabe Ikard

8timechamps
11/10/2012, 07:54 PM
I knew that Darlington started at center, but I thought that was just to give him some game experience. Nope, Ikard missed the entire game with a head injury suffered in practice (I am assuming a concussion). What did our O-line do to the football gods?

AzianSooner
11/10/2012, 08:32 PM
fantasticly!

StoopTroup
11/10/2012, 08:32 PM
Not sure but I was watching the ND BC Game and really thinking about our guys and my first thought was..."Just how banged up are we right now?"....

I know Stoops will never spring anything about our Injury situation but it just feels like we are still able to beat mediocre Teams like Baylor but the next three games will really need our Defense to shut down WVU, lil brother and tcu.

AzianSooner
11/10/2012, 08:33 PM
Tough one is at TCU.

StoopTroup
11/10/2012, 08:34 PM
I like how the OP seems to have an effect on which ads pop up.

I wonder what kind of ads pop up if someone does a thread about Lee Corso's Cornhole Game. :D

8timechamps
11/10/2012, 09:24 PM
Not sure but I was watching the ND BC Game and really thinking about our guys and my first thought was..."Just how banged up are we right now?"....

I know Stoops will never spring anything about our Injury situation but it just feels like we are still able to beat mediocre Teams like Baylor but the next three games will really need our Defense to shut down WVU, lil brother and tcu.

I've kind of been in denial about how patch-work our O-line has been, but I'm starting to see it. It is so bad that I don't think any of the back-ups have even seen game action. At one point today, if one of our guys would have gone down, we would have played an completely untested lineman. Hopefully Gabe gets healthy this week.

As for the remainder, it's really going to come down to how the defense plays, but it showed pretty well today that it can stop high powered passing attacks, and that's what we'll be seeing the rest of the way. It'll keep it interesting.

soonerbldr
11/10/2012, 09:28 PM
I've kind of been in denial about how patch-work our O-line has been, but I'm starting to see it. It is so bad that I don't think any of the back-ups have even seen game action. At one point today, if one of our guys would have gone down, we would have played an completely untested lineman. Hopefully Gabe gets healthy this week.

As for the remainder, it's really going to come down to how the defense plays, but it showed pretty well today that it can stop high powered passing attacks, and that's what we'll be seeing the rest of the way. It'll keep it interesting.

They can stop the pass but not the run evidently... Baylor ran all over us. We still can not stop a truly balanced team.

StoopTroup
11/10/2012, 09:31 PM
Seeing Julian Wilson in there today is one of those moments where you notice guy late in the season beginning to get more PT as the Season is coming to a close and when you are playing Baylor close in the 4th qtr. He made a couple of good plays.

StoopTroup
11/10/2012, 09:33 PM
They can stop the pass but not the run evidently... Baylor ran all over us. We still can not stop a truly balanced team.

Bob made note that they were trying to stop the big plays when we play QBs with an arm.

Randle will be a handful when lil brother comes to Norman if we don't start stopping the run a bit better.

8timechamps
11/10/2012, 09:34 PM

What do you mean by "stop"? To me, a win = stop. We played a nickle almost the entire game, so we sacrificed a little to the run. Baylor, while being a pathetic defensive team, is still one of (if not the) best offensive teams in the country. We gave up a lot of yards on the ground, but in the end, they needed to throw the ball to try to win, and it was too little, too late.

Widescreen
11/10/2012, 10:04 PM
Seeing Julian Wilson in there today is one of those moments where you notice guy late in the season beginning to get more PT as the Season is coming to a close and when you are playing Baylor close in the 4th qtr. He made a couple of good plays.
What do you mean? He's been playing a lot for several weeks. Not particularly well but he's played a ton. I suppose he's the best we have at that position.

StoopTroup
11/10/2012, 10:38 PM
I suppose he's the best we have at that position.

That's what I mean.

BoulderSooner79
11/11/2012, 01:52 AM
What do you mean by "stop"? To me, a win = stop. We played a nickle almost the entire game, so we sacrificed a little to the run. Baylor, while being a pathetic defensive team, is still one of (if not the) best offensive teams in the country. We gave up a lot of yards on the ground, but in the end, they needed to throw the ball to try to win, and it was too little, too late.

That's what it looked like to me. We were willing to let them drive with the run game as long as we stopped the big pass plays *and* we had a decent lead. Is was a good strategy even if it was frustrating. Same strategy would probably be a good one next week too, but not against the OSU. The Pokes can get explosive plays out of their run game.

boomersooner28
11/11/2012, 08:29 AM
When Shead went down I dropped my head in disbelief and asked "WHYYYYYY!"

FirstandGoal
11/11/2012, 09:05 AM
Serious question.

Do we actually have anybody in reserve that can play on the O line if anybody else goes down?
Why has this area become so problematic for us?

tulsaoilerfan
11/11/2012, 09:12 AM

Nickle hell we played alot of the game with 6 or 7 Db's and no Linebackers; seems like the strategy was to limit the big plays and make them earn it yesterday

VA Sooner
11/11/2012, 10:53 AM
Lots of DBs out there with the occasional Shannon breaking through the lines and stopping Bears at the LOS or behind. They limited the big plays except for one but I thought the secondary covered very well most of the night. The run defense will need some help against OSU and WVU though... unfortunately, some game film now.

zeke
11/11/2012, 11:44 AM
Stoops & his assistants are outstanding dealing with injuries and patching together guys who were not slated as starters.
We bash them constantly about shoulda done this or that, or why is this or that guy playing....but I cant name another coach that is as good at getting the best out of a team with the injuries that OU has had to deal with over the last several years.

hawaii 5-0
11/11/2012, 11:58 AM
Nickle hell we played alot of the game with 6 or 7 Db's and no Linebackers; seems like the strategy was to limit the big plays and make them earn it yesterday

I noticed this as well.

A good Offensive Coordinator up in the booth would take full advantage of that.

The middle looked very soft.

5-0

Okie35
11/11/2012, 12:23 PM

Can any team do that though? Name me a team this year that have done that when a team was actually balanced. Mind you we didn't play balanced against KSU or ND.

bluedogok
11/11/2012, 03:21 PM
That's what it looked like to me. We were willing to let them drive with the run game as long as we stopped the big pass plays *and* we had a decent lead. Is was a good strategy even if it was frustrating. Same strategy would probably be a good one next week too, but not against the OSU. The Pokes can get explosive plays out of their run game.
Yep, it seemed to work much better than watching Griffin to Wright over the top all the time in last years game.

8timechamps
11/11/2012, 03:36 PM
Serious question.

Do we actually have anybody in reserve that can play on the O line if anybody else goes down?
Why has this area become so problematic for us?

Nobody that's seen any game action. That's why losing Shead would have been the absolute worst thing that could happen. When Gabe is in there, at least we have Darlington ready, and Gabe can play any position on the line (if we needed to move him). We've just been razor thin on the line all year.

bluedogok
11/11/2012, 03:49 PM
Ar least they haven't had to move a LB and wide receiver to QB after losing the first four QB's to season ending injury like Maryland has.

8timechamps
11/11/2012, 03:53 PM
Ar least they haven't had to move a LB and wide receiver to QB after losing the first four QB's to season ending injury like Maryland has.

Or like OU did under Blake.

bluedogok
11/11/2012, 04:04 PM
That was due more to an idiot coaching staff rather than injuries....

8timechamps
11/11/2012, 04:22 PM
That was due more to an idiot coaching staff rather than injuries....

True. I'm pretty sure everything Blake did during his tenure was "idiot coaching".

StoopTroup
11/11/2012, 04:59 PM
Nobody that's seen any game action. That's why losing Shead would have been the absolute worst thing that could happen. When Gabe is in there, at least we have Darlington ready, and Gabe can play any position on the line (if we needed to move him). We've just been razor thin on the line all year.

I'm excited about Farniok. My Son and I got to meet him after the Red and White Game. Great guy. Dude is huge. I hope he continues to develop into a great player for us.

bluedogok
11/11/2012, 05:09 PM
True. I'm pretty sure everything Blake did during his tenure was "idiot coaching".
I think we are seeing a similar run in the Flatirons nearby....

8timechamps
11/11/2012, 07:04 PM
I think we are seeing a similar run in the Flatirons nearby....

No question about it. They brought in a guy that "loves the program", and unfortunately for them, he's in way over his head. I'm interested to watch CSU over the next few years. My oldest son has grown up and been friends with a kid that got signed to play O-line. He should play next year, so it gives me kind of a rooting interest.

8timechamps
11/11/2012, 07:05 PM
I'm excited about Farniok. My Son and I got to meet him after the Red and White Game. Great guy. Dude is huge. I hope he continues to develop into a great player for us.

Now that you bring him up, he actually has played some this year. So, he could certainly play if needed. I know Stoops raved about him in the offseason. When he gets to a level that he is able to play every down, he's gonna be really good.

bluedogok
11/11/2012, 07:07 PM
Like I tell a CU alum co-worker, CU hired their John Blake....except they look worse.

I think CSU probably made a good hire off the Bama staff. I always liked watching CSU when Lubick and Bradlee Van Pelt were there, they were a fun team to watch on those MWC Thursday night or late Saturday night games.

8timechamps
11/11/2012, 07:08 PM
Like I tell a CU alum co-worker, CU hired their John Blake.

I think CSU probably made a good hire off the Bama staff. I always liked watching CSU when Lubick and Bradlee Van Pelt were there, they were a fun team to watch on those MWC Thursday night or late Saturday night games.

Yeah, that was fun. I went to a couple of those Thursday night specials (one at the AFA and one in Ft. Collins). They'll never been at the level of OU, but it could be a nice little program for them.

StoopTroup
11/11/2012, 07:14 PM
Now that you bring him up, he actually has played some this year. So, he could certainly play if needed. I know Stoops raved about him in the offseason. When he gets to a level that he is able to play every down, he's gonna be really good.

Yep. Just like Wilson on D...they have been sneaking him a bit here and there. There is lots of little things we all miss from time to time. I don't usually go back through plays looking for them but when you meet a kid this huge...you remember him when they put him in...lol

StoopTroup
11/11/2012, 07:16 PM
Like I tell a CU alum co-worker, CU hired their John Blake....except they look worse.

It took me a few seconds to figure out what the hell you were talking about (Flatirons) and then my Ski Trips to Colorado kicked in and it hit me. lol.

They definitely have to be thinking things over a bit by now wouldn't you think?

bluedogok
11/11/2012, 07:25 PM
It took me a few seconds to figure out what the hell you were talking about (Flatirons) and then my Ski Trips to Colorado kicked in and it hit me. lol.

They definitely have to be thinking things over a bit by now wouldn't you think?
Since we get some news of the CU situation daily it is interesting. My co-worker wants him gone because they just look like they are regressing.

StoopTroup
11/11/2012, 07:30 PM
Since we get some news of the CU situation daily it is interesting. My co-worker wants him gone because they just look like they are regressing.

I don't blame them for passing a reefer law....lol ;)

8timechamps
11/11/2012, 09:43 PM

I'd have to agree with your co-worker. I thought they may have found something to build on when they beat WSU, but they have actually played worse since that game. If they don't clean house after this season, it's going to set the program back further than it already is.

nighttrain12
11/12/2012, 12:42 AM
Saw Gabe again tonight on the Scoreboard at the Thunder game. He gets some great seats there.

HateTheWhorns
11/12/2012, 05:01 PM
Saw Gabe again tonight on the Scoreboard at the Thunder game. He gets some great seats there.

And your point is what exactly?

CatfishSooner
11/12/2012, 10:41 PM
Was he drinkin beer like Romar?

BoulderSooner79
11/12/2012, 11:45 PM

If he's well enough to attend a Thunder game, he should be well enough to play?

nighttrain12
11/13/2012, 01:39 AM

Just a fan sighting, nothing more. Oh, he was with a hot chick also.

olevetonahill
11/13/2012, 06:14 AM
Just a fan sighting, nothing more. Oh, he was with a hot chick also.

Pics er it dint happen :very_drunk:

Jason White's Third Knee
11/13/2012, 08:18 AM
When Shead went down I dropped my head in disbelief and asked "WHYYYYYY!"

You are doing it wrong. You are supposed to look up to the sky and yell, "NOOOOOOOO!"

I've never seen our o line this beat up. I've never seen out d line this boring either.