PDA

View Full Version : Has Chuck Long taken over our offense?

hvhurricane
11/10/2012, 05:35 PM
Why do we think we have to force the run? Our offensive talent dictates that we should be a pass first offense,with about an 80/20 split for pass/run. We should not be trying to control the clock by forcing the run. They are the worst defense in the country, but we are trying to slow the game down with the run game? We should be up-tempo all the time and spreading them out. We have shown all season long that we can pass the ball at will with the up-tempo philosophy, but we are determined to slow the game down with the run, with minimal results.

picasso
11/10/2012, 05:39 PM
I seem to recall Stoops mentioning the fact that we can't run up tempo the entire game because our players will kill over dead from lack of oxygen.
But yeah, the hell does he know anyway.

SoonerorLater
11/10/2012, 05:40 PM
I don't think we are forcing the run. We are moving the ball, controlling the clock and we are 5 of 7 on 3rd downs. It gives our defense a rest. Also we have given up just 17 points to an offense that would love to get into a shootout scenario. This is a good game plan.

hvhurricane
11/10/2012, 05:50 PM
We can either go up-tempo and blow the game wide open or we can force the run, speed up the game and allow them to stay in the game. They are a horrible defensive team and can't cover our wide receivers or get consistent pressure on the QB.

SoonerorLater
11/10/2012, 05:55 PM
A caveat would be we do need to hold on to the ball

goingoneight
11/10/2012, 06:01 PM
This is the worst defense in the country. There is no excuse for this performance.

OU_Sooners75
11/10/2012, 06:18 PM
I would take chuck long over this predictible offense any day of the week!

hvhurricane
11/10/2012, 07:25 PM
Kevin Sumlin could never get promoted to the OC at OU, but we can let Josh Huepel learn on the job? And for the record, I was on the Sumlin bandwagon since he was the OC at A&M when he used Reggie McNeil in his first game ever to upset us when we were ranked #1 in the country. We don't even come close to maximizing our potential on offense.

SoonerorLater
11/10/2012, 07:26 PM
I don't have a problem with the game plan on this one. To me they looked like they were never going to let Baylor get into an uptempo passing attack. OU succeeded. The grind it out running was part of it. Eliminate the turnovers and OU did it right.

BoulderSooner79
11/10/2012, 07:33 PM
I think the wind has something to do with the plan. LJ didn't look very accurate with the wind at his back.

soonergirlNeugene
11/10/2012, 07:34 PM
Hope we don't play like this next week vs the couch burners.

OU_Sooners75
11/10/2012, 07:44 PM
I think the wind has something to do with the plan. LJ didn't look very accurate with the wind at his back.

What did the wind effect? The play selection?

They passed all over the field. They once again kept arguably the best offensive player rather silent (Millard).

It dang sure wasn't their defense.

At one point I mentioned to my brother I think the players are just going through the motions waiting for next week.

C&CDean
11/10/2012, 07:45 PM
Hari kari. Do it. All y'all. That'd help a lot.

C&CDean
11/10/2012, 07:45 PM
Well everybody but the arteest. We need arteests.

8timechamps
11/10/2012, 07:49 PM
True freshman Ty Darlington played the entire game at center, while it's really good to get guys experience, it can certainly slow down an offense. I think that has a lot to do with why the run wasn't flowing as well today.

Secondly, I think Landry was in a zone early in the game, and when it seemed like receivers were dropping ball after ball, he lost his rhythm, and the offense sputtered. Then he went full-Landry for a bit. But, overall, I got the feeling that the gameplan was very conservative, and that Stoops could turn up the offense at will.

At this point in the season, we know what we have. We know what we are. We beat the team that beat us last year, and a win is a win. I don't think WVU will even come close to beating OU. The Sooners shouldn't lose another game this year.