PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Lead Increasing in Continuing Vote Counting

Midtowner
11/10/2012, 07:50 AM
As results trickle in, the President's lead is growing. It is now over 3 million votes.

Also, interestingly enough, Romney got 1 million fewer votes than McCain did in 2008. Guess that kind of blows up all that talk from Fox News about the base being excited, eh?

Also, it would appear Romney's 47% remark was pretty spot on considering that's the % of vote he appears to have won.

http://www.google.com/elections/ed/us/results

olevetonahill
11/10/2012, 08:00 AM
Who GAS?
Its Over,

LiveLaughLove
11/10/2012, 08:04 AM
Who GAS?
Its Over,

Not the gloating. These sad sacks actually think they have won something.

The stock markets seem to disagree, and I would imagine all of the people that have been laid off in the last few days would disagree also.

I pray those that got laid off were Obama voters. They'll know how to still collect a check if you know what I mean.

okie52
11/10/2012, 08:05 AM
As results trickle in, the President's lead is growing. It is now over 3 million votes.

Also, interestingly enough, Romney got 1 million fewer votes than McCain did in 2008. Guess that kind of blows up all that talk from Fox News about the base being excited, eh?

Also, it would appear Romney's 47% remark was pretty spot on considering that's the % of vote he appears to have won.

http://www.google.com/elections/ed/us/results

47% was the number that wouldn't vote him.

How many millions of votes down was Hussein?

olevetonahill
11/10/2012, 08:18 AM

The stock markets seem to disagree, and I would imagine all of the people that have been laid off in the last few days would disagree also.

I pray those that got laid off were Obama voters. They'll know how to still collect a check if you know what I mean.

Well to be honest, I think a Lot of us would be laying some smack down If Romney had won.

To me its over. LESS than 1% of the country's population decided which way we were going . I firmly believe as Ive stated in the past that we are Fast headed for the Water falls and no paddle. HOW fast Just depended on Who was guiding the canoe

Midtowner
11/10/2012, 08:22 AM

The stock markets are sliding because of the fiscal cliff. Personally, I hope we go over the cliff. It seems one way, maybe the only way to really get our budget under control. Big cuts for government and entitlements along with tax hikes for everyone. Painful, but fair. The markets will bounce back though in the long term. They always do.

What an awful thing to pray for, but a real case study into why you lost. The "makers vs. takers" false dichotomy isn't going to do anything but further polarize the population and continue to be an electoral goldmine for Democrats.

Midtowner
11/10/2012, 08:25 AM
Well to be honest, I think a Lot of us would be laying some smack down If Romney had won.

To me its over. LESS than 1% of the country's population decided which way we were going . I firmly believe as Ive stated in the past that we are Fast headed for the Water falls and no paddle. HOW fast Just depended on Who was guiding the canoe

The gloom and doom just isn't justifiable. Things are more than likely going to be just fine. The Speaker of the House has said some very encouraging things regarding his newfound belief that ObamaCare is the law of the land and that they won't be holding our country hostage this time to score big ideological points. It appears the party line is going to be responsibility and coming together with Democrats to craft a compromise. Hopefully, Republicans will relent on the $250K tax hikes and Democrats will relent on cutting entitlements immediately rather than speculatively at some later date.

kevpks
11/10/2012, 08:53 AM
What happens in the stock market and job market a few days after the election doesn't really tell us much, does it? Oh, and here come the unions:

http://news.yahoo.com/labor-tax-rich-dont-touch-safety-nets-085703375.html

In all seriousness, it looks like they had a much better ground game than GOP backers.
An analysis by the Sunlight Foundation, which tracks money in politics, found that unions and other Democratic-leaning groups were far more successful than outside conservative groups in targeting money toward winning House and Senate campaigns. The SEIU spent more than 70 percent of its funds on winners, for example, while Karl Rove's American Crossroads and its nonprofit affiliate had only a 6 percent success rate.

It's not likely the unions will get close to what they're after but the pendulum seems to be swinging back in labor's favor. I'm well aware of the doomsday scenarios for the economy that many of you foresee, but this attitude that moochers looking for a handout swung the election is a faulty premise. This was a highly structured grass roots effort that mirrored much of what Bush did in 2000.

Like I've said before on here, I'm not the biggest fan of unions. As an adjunct professor in Chicago, you made half of what union members made until they finally let you join. Then you were at the bottom of the heap regardless of how high your student evals were. Summer classes always went by seniority. However, I'll never understand why some republicans characterize hard working Americans as moochers because they're in a union as they did with teachers in Wisconsin.

TUSooner
11/10/2012, 09:03 AM
Who GAS?
Its Over,
You know it's never over around here.

olevetonahill
11/10/2012, 09:17 AM
You know it's never over around here.

True, Ima keep poppin off My Obammy jokes :love-struck:

rock on sooner
11/10/2012, 10:13 AM
True, Ima keep poppin off My Obammy jokes :love-struck:

I thot you wuz gonna say you'd keep poppin corks.:biggrin:

FaninAma
11/10/2012, 10:15 AM
Obama got 8 million fewer votes than last time. His primary campaign stategist admiited they went as negative as they could and nuked Romney last spring and summer with hundreds of millions in negative ads. It depressed turnout and the Democrats turned out their base. But in the process they poisoned the well on bipartisanship even more than it already was.

Good luck to your side trying to reach out to those who didn't vote for you.

LiveLaughLove
11/10/2012, 10:20 AM
The stock markets are sliding because of the fiscal cliff. Personally, I hope we go over the cliff. It seems one way, maybe the only way to really get our budget under control. Big cuts for government and entitlements along with tax hikes for everyone. Painful, but fair. The markets will bounce back though in the long term. They always do.

What an awful thing to pray for, but a real case study into why you lost. The "makers vs. takers" false dichotomy isn't going to do anything but further polarize the population and continue to be an electoral goldmine for Democrats.

Yeah that huge decline the day after the election had nothing at all to do with the election.

Just as Patraeus' resignation and the drone strike weren't mentioned until after the election. All just coincidences. Right.

As for my prayer, I don;t want those that voted for Romney punished for the votes of those others. The folks that voted him in, get what they deserve. Unfortunately, the rest of us will suffer too, including our kids that didn't even get to vote, but will be saddled with this huge debt. The more minimal it can be on those of us the better. I've no sympathy for idiots that voted for the Idiocracy.

Peddle the pollyanna elsewhere. You guys raked Bush over the coals mercilessly. You were in no mood for "bipartisanship" then. You haven't minded as your guy divided this country by class and racial lines just to win an election, so spare me.

We are a divided nation. We're not going to just be milquetoast for you. Or him.

FaninAma
11/10/2012, 10:25 AM
Kevpks, you are forgetting that employers have a silver bullet in dealing with the unions.....they ship their jobs out if the country.And please explain all the new layoffs announced after the election..

The voters elected the Democrats they get to face the results.

BTW Europe says hello.

FaninAma
11/10/2012, 10:28 AM
Mudtowner, what do you suppose the 62% of those who live in families making less than $50K expect from Obama and the Democrats.....less social program spending?

kevpks
11/10/2012, 10:30 AM
Kevpks, you are forgetting that employers have a silver bullet in dealing with the unions.....they ship their jobs out if the country.And please explain all the new layoffs announced after the election..

The voters elected the Democrats they get to face the results.

BTW Europe says hello.

True. It's pretty hard to outsource a teacher though, but I'm sure the GOP is trying to find a way : )

I would also like to see proof that democrats cause economic collapse in the US. Is there historical evidence of this?

LiveLaughLove
11/10/2012, 10:35 AM

Maybe so, but not I. I would have just been relieved and thankful. Unfortunately, God ordains our leaders, and he does so for one of two reasons.

As a reward or a punishment. We have been blessed with some of the greatest leaders the world has ever known. Men of high moral character and near genius minds. That was back when we feared God and had his wisdom.

We mock him now, we kill his children by the millions, and we (a dwindling few it seems) pray that he stays his wrath. We get exactly what we deserve.

I present you, Barrack Hussein Obama.

TUSooner
11/10/2012, 10:37 AM

I can no longer refrain from saying, in the nicest way I can manage, without doubting your sincerity, that your seemingly cynical, spiteful, and materialistic brand of Christianity makes me wonder. Have you ever actually read the New Testament? Did you ever notice what it says -- consistently -- about money, wealth, the rich, and the poor? I realize that it doesn't stoop to prescribing any public economic policy. But I would hope it would at least temper the malice you evidently feel toward any part of society that might somehow threaten your personal wealth and comfort.

kevpks
11/10/2012, 10:54 AM
We have been blessed with some of the greatest leaders the world has ever known. Men of high moral character and near genius minds. That was back when we feared God and had his wisdom.

We mock him now, we kill his children by the millions, and we (a dwindling few it seems) pray that he stays his wrath. We get exactly what we deserve.

Which leaders were a reward from God? Just curious.

TUSooner
11/10/2012, 11:02 AM
Which leaders were a reward from God? Just curious.

I don't think he was referring to B. Franklin and T. Jefferson, seeing as how they liked wine and boobies and France and stuff. Probably not A. Lincoln, the arch-Federalist.

TUSooner
11/10/2012, 11:08 AM

You refer to the victims of the last 20 years of war we've been waging? Maybe God is getting fed up with religious hypocrisy. He seems to have mentioned that the last time He was down here in Person.

olevetonahill
11/10/2012, 11:43 AM
I thot you wuz gonna say you'd keep poppin corks.:biggrin:

Heh

LiveLaughLove
11/10/2012, 11:59 AM
I don't think he was referring to B. Franklin and T. Jefferson, seeing as how they liked wine and boobies and France and stuff. Probably not A. Lincoln, the arch-Federalist.

King David committed adultery and murder, but he repented and was a man after God's own heart. I think we were definitely blessed with our founders.

They created a Constitution that, while not perfect, was as close as it could be.

We have had some great ones, some not so great, and now some very terrible.

As for being a hypocrite, if you only knew as I have said before. I don't claim perfection, but I certainly haven't been a hypocrite here.

As for wars, we have slaughtered more innocent children than all wars combined in all of history. Adults aren't the innocent. God has wiped out whole wicked civilizations before. Do you really think he is squeamish about war?

SouthCarolinaSooner
11/10/2012, 12:21 PM

Maybe so, but not I. I would have just been relieved and thankful. Unfortunately, God ordains our leaders, and he does so for one of two reasons.

As a reward or a punishment. We have been blessed with some of the greatest leaders the world has ever known. Men of high moral character and near genius minds. That was back when we feared God and had his wisdom.

LMAO, go back to your cave skyfundie

TUSooner
11/10/2012, 12:29 PM
King David committed adultery and murder, but he repented and was a man after God's own heart. I think we were definitely blessed with our founders.

They created a Constitution that, while not perfect, was as close as it could be.

We have had some great ones, some not so great, and now some very terrible.

As for being a hypocrite, if you only knew as I have said before. I don't claim perfection, but I certainly haven't been a hypocrite here.

As for wars, we have slaughtered more innocent children than all wars combined in all of history. Adults aren't the innocent. God has wiped out whole wicked civilizations before. Do you really think he is squeamish about war?

I have read legal petitions from semi-literate prisoners that made more sense than some of that. But you do get credit for answering.

LiveLaughLove
11/10/2012, 12:45 PM
I have read legal petitions from semi-literate prisoners that made more sense than some of that. But you do get credit for answering.

From you that's a compliment. I would begin to worry if I started making sense to you. Wisdom is foolishness to the fool.

Soonerjeepman
11/10/2012, 01:06 PM
To Mid...I see your point, but with that you must add obama got 10 mil less as well...make equal statements. I also contend that 51% to 49% or even 52% to 48% DOES NOT constitute an "overwhelming majority" as has been stated. That's 5.2 people to 4.8 people. Basically 1 more out of 10 preferred obama.

So, say what you will but no obama didn't win an overwhelming majority.

As far as gloating if Romney won, no, more relief. Not a huge Romney guy, but was wanting a "change" as obama would say.

rock on sooner
11/10/2012, 03:02 PM
To Mid...I see your point, but with that you must add obama got 10 mil less as well...make equal statements. I also contend that 51% to 49% or even 52% to 48% DOES NOT constitute an "overwhelming majority" as has been stated. That's 5.2 people to 4.8 people. Basically 1 more out of 10 preferred obama.

As far as gloating if Romney won, no, more relief. Not a huge Romney guy, but was wanting a "change" as obama would say.

Jeep, I think that a lot of what many of the Dems are talking about is
some of the exit polling results...e.g. a little more than 60% said they
thought the wealthy folks should pay more of the so-called "fair share".
That said, as several have observed, raising taxes on the wealthy won't
do much for the deficit but it will give a little more revenue to the gov't.
I don't want to rehash several earlier threads about how to bring down
the deficit, but will say more taxes, big spending cuts in the next two
to four years, all across the board, 'cept the military are what's needed.
Boehner has only lip service agreement with Obama now. He can't
control his caucus so, until and unless REAL compromise happens,
we're in for more of the same.

SouthCarolinaSooner
11/10/2012, 05:54 PM
From you that's a compliment. I would begin to worry if I started making sense to you. Wisdom is foolishness to the fool.
Who is he going to strike down first, wise one? Was Sandy a judgement?

pphilfran
11/10/2012, 06:01 PM

One out of ten?

If it is 52/48 it is 4 out of 100

TAFBSooner
11/10/2012, 08:07 PM
Who is he going to strike down first, wise one? Was Sandy a judgement?

According to one top Republican, Sandy helped Obama win. If Sandy was an act of God (He being omniscient and all), what does that say about God's judgement on the election?

“The president was also lucky. This time, the October surprise was not a dirty trick but an act of God. Hurricane Sandy (http://www.salon.com/2012/11/08/karl_rove_reaps_the_whirlwind/) interrupted Mr. Romney’s momentum and allowed Mr. Obama to look presidential and bipartisan” -- Karl Rove, 8 November 2012, Wall Street Journal Op-Ed

If you remember, Katrina, and the incompetent Bush administration response to it, accelerated the downward slide of Bush's popularity, and was a big part of the poisoning of the Republican brand by 2008. God was just being pre-emptive this year.

Or maybe acts of Nature aren't aimed at specific people or groups, after all.

Soonerjeepman
11/11/2012, 01:06 AM
One out of ten?

If it is 52/48 it is 4 out of 100

lol...true..my bad with the math. Or 1 out of 25, so .4 out of 10...so less than a 1/2 of a person out of 10..right? Basically not much~

StoopTroup
11/11/2012, 02:06 AM

I think I packed it in last night as most of the answers no matter who they were coming from came in some form of frothy stale beer smell that even a bucket of febreeze couldn't cover up.

Nice of you to at least keep trying to have a decent conversation about what occurred and why some of us thought it was way more than because of a Hurricane. If anything the President lost voters in that area rather than bleeding heart votes because he handled the situation there so well.

So many folks want to argue about what can't be undone and avert their eyes to why this President won another term. Yes there are extreme liberals in the Democratic Party. Yes there are extreme Ultra-Conservatives and one issue Voters on the right. It just doesn't make what you, me and others have to say about why we didn't follow so many on the right in voting for Mitt Romney. I had multiple reasons and one is that I really felt that had Romney not promised to get rid of the Affordable Healthcare Act and instead presented a fix to it and agreed on some middle Ground so that it would have been a Government run, Government Funded Program...He would possibly gotten more votes.

It still wouldn't have gotten mine as I think this notion that he is a good man was always on thin ice and that he just changed on so many positions along the way, especially in the Debates, that I just didn't believe him about anything.

Folks who didn't like President Obama haven't like him since he was elected in 2004 and did little to help defeat him. The many techniques you and I have tried to explain to many people after this election fall on deaf ears and instead become merciless personal attacks for very little reason as President Obama will still be POTUS for another four years and they will either die from the disappointment or it seems...continue to make the same mistakes that will lead to the Dems in the White House in 2016.

Preibus or whoever they pick to replace him with really needs to make some serious changes as they have done little since Perot got GH Bush fired. They have failed to head the GOP into the future.

When folks say things like LLL...It has to be obvious that this Forum is what most of us think it is...a waste of hot air. Serious topics are turned into a$$ blasts and serve only to make people who would all fight to the death against anyone who would attack this Country into enemies who have nothing in common. It's silly and pretty sickening.

Here's the one that did it for me...

There was no reason for that comment and it's the stupidest comment I've ever seen on here and even more stupid than those who throw personal insults around. I can't take someone like that seriously. It's just a debate technique. It's not about politics. It's about finding out if someone can stay on point during a debate without resorting to such tactics. It's obvious you continue to win most of the battles. Great Posts.

TUSooner
11/11/2012, 09:57 AM
I think I packed it in last night as most of the answers no matter who they were coming from came in some form of frothy stale beer smell that even a bucket of febreeze couldn't cover up.

Nice of you to at least keep trying to have a decent conversation about what occurred and why some of us thought it was way more than because of a Hurricane. If anything the President lost voters in that area rather than bleeding heart votes because he handled the situation there so well.

So many folks want to argue about what can't be undone and avert their eyes to why this President won another term. Yes there are extreme liberals in the Democratic Party. Yes there are extreme Ultra-Conservatives and one issue Voters on the right. It just doesn't make what you, me and others have to say about why we didn't follow so many on the right in voting for Mitt Romney. I had multiple reasons and one is that I really felt that had Romney not promised to get rid of the Affordable Healthcare Act and instead presented a fix to it and agreed on some middle Ground so that it would have been a Government run, Government Funded Program...He would possibly gotten more votes.

It still wouldn't have gotten mine as I think this notion that he is a good man was always on thin ice and that he just changed on so many positions along the way, especially in the Debates, that I just didn't believe him about anything.

Folks who didn't like President Obama haven't like him since he was elected in 2004 and did little to help defeat him. The many techniques you and I have tried to explain to many people after this election fall on deaf ears and instead become merciless personal attacks for very little reason as President Obama will still be POTUS for another four years and they will either die from the disappointment or it seems...continue to make the same mistakes that will lead to the Dems in the White House in 2016.

Preibus or whoever they pick to replace him with really needs to make some serious changes as they have done little since Perot got GH Bush fired. They have failed to head the GOP into the future.

When folks say things like LLL...It has to be obvious that this Forum is what most of us think it is...a waste of hot air. Serious topics are turned into a$$ blasts and serve only to make people who would all fight to the death against anyone who would attack this Country into enemies who have nothing in common. It's silly and pretty sickening.

Here's the one that did it for me...

There was no reason for that comment and it's the stupidest comment I've ever seen on here and even more stupid than those who throw personal insults around. I can't take someone like that seriously. It's just a debate technique. It's not about politics. It's about finding out if someone can stay on point during a debate without resorting to such tactics. It's obvious you continue to win most of the battles. Great Posts.

I pretty much came to same conclusion when I realized how stupid it was of me to be thinking about some those "a$$ blasts" while I was brushing my teeth last night. I'm not so much put off by the ignorance and venom coming from some usual suspects; that's a given and won't change. Plus, there were a occasional sensible observations scattered in there. But I was starting to be mad at myself for getting angry enough to think the things I was thinking about a few of our fellow SFs. You seem to have kept your cool much better than I did.

Yes, there's a ton of misguided, willful ignorance on both ends of the spectrum, but this is the home of the RW version. They have their script, they know their lines, and there's no adlibbing allowed. So if you throw out something that's not in their book, they just read the next line in their script and plow right ahead. As I said before, theirs is an immutable universe built on flawed inferences piled upon faulty assumptions, with one or two valid principles twisted and buried under all the extraneous dogma.

It's like when lawyers cite some lofty and indisputable principle of law, but fail to make any valid connection between that principle and the facts of the case.

By the way my personal favorite was when someone (I can't find the post) howled at Sandy's victims for complaining about being without power. Along the lines of "How dare those yankee moochers expect government relief. They've only been without power for 4 days! Serves them right for voting for Obama." It was consistent with the poster's two-tone view of society. For me that was the absolute depth of ignorance.

I'm stepping back from the tar baby and taking a few deep breaths. Perspective perspective perspective.

FaninAma
11/11/2012, 12:35 PM
TU, Stoop, the problem is that both sides feel their opinion is correct and they are unwilling to objectively look at the other side's position. The only way to see who holds the more legitimate opionions/principles is to let the democratic process play out and see the results of the electorate's choices.