PDA

View Full Version : Bad start to the weekend for Baylor

kevpks
11/10/2012, 01:11 AM
You thought their football team's defense was bad? At least they won't be losing before the game even starts. I say that, but if any team could find a way, it's Baylor.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/baylor-trailed-season-even-tipped-off-000131686--ncaab.html

Minutes before the No. 19 Bears' season opener against Lehigh on Friday afternoon, referees assessed Baylor a team technical foul when they caught a player dunking during a portion of warmups when NCAA rules prohibit it. As a result, the Lehigh star C.J. McCollum went to the foul line and sank two free throws without a second even elapsing off the clock, giving the Mountain Hawks a 2-0 lead before tipoff.

King Crimson
11/10/2012, 03:38 AM
yeah well, according to a lot of people Scott Drew's teams have been surviving exceptions of virtue for longer term success.

11/10/2012, 11:05 AM
Why can't they dunk during warm ups? It's my understanding a dunk is not exclusively showboating.

ouflak
11/10/2012, 11:26 AM
It does seem odd. It's a valid shot that requires some degree of athleticism and coordination. Doesn't hurt to practice it.

SoonerorLater
11/10/2012, 01:06 PM
I don't know. If it's a really crappy team and you can put an intimidating exclamation point then I might be tempted to give them a couple of free shots. Seriously this is BB, you dunk it in a game given the chance. Why not in warm-ups?

bluedogok
11/10/2012, 01:31 PM
More overbearing NCAA rules that serve no real purpose.

StoopTroup
11/10/2012, 01:36 PM
It's an old rule that's been in place for a long time. It might have out grown its usefulness as a way to promote good sportsmanship. Div. I may look to get rid of the rule if they want but I think it serves a bit of a purpose in that if rivalries (or just two teams even) can't follow something as easy as warm-up rule then shaking hands and saying "Have a Good Game or Good Luck" maybe it ought to be canned. We can just toss out sportsmanship and penalties for any bad sportsmanship and go with a total thug ball type of game.