PDA

View Full Version : Something to remember

TUSooner
11/9/2012, 01:29 PM
"It is only as we fully understand opinions and attitudes different from our own and the reasons for them that we better understand our own place in the scheme of things." S.I. Hayakawa, Symbol, Status, and Personality 35 (1963).

FaninAma
11/9/2012, 01:36 PM
"It is only as we fully understand opinions and attitudes different from our own and the reasons for them that we better understand our own place in the scheme of things." S.I. Hayakawa, Symbol, Status, and Personality 35 (1963).

That sounds very nice but can you apply what that statement means in terms of the political division that has a stranglehold on this country? The bottom line is you can try very hard to see the point of the persons you disagree with but it still comes down to how much you are willing to compromise what you believe in. If you compromise too much then you never had any firm beliefs to begin with.

SoonerorLater
11/9/2012, 01:58 PM

While this is a philosophy we might want to visit if we joined some type of encounter group, I would be more inclined to think the following may be more appropriate.

"Perhaps the fact that we have seen millions voting themselves into complete dependence on a tyrant has made our generation understand that to choose one's government is not necessarily to secure freedom."

Friedrich August von Hayek

Soonerjeepman
11/9/2012, 02:04 PM

good grief...only the libs come up with this $hit when they are in power...seriously the dems have had just as much NON-negotiating as the pubs...but they bring it up when it's convenient. Go tell this to the dems and obama when they were craming aca down our throats...whatever.

TUSooner
11/9/2012, 02:13 PM
I forgot that you geniuses already have all the answers and know everything. So there's no need to consider any other viewpoints.
All that tells me is that you'll never get any smarter.

TUSooner
11/9/2012, 02:15 PM
That sounds very nice but can you apply what that statement means in terms of the political division that has a stranglehold on this country? The bottom line is you can try very hard to see the point of the persons you disagree with but it still comes down to how much you are willing to compromise what you believe in. If you compromise too much then you never had any firm beliefs to begin with.

Sheesh. It doesn't mean you have to accept other views, just understand them, so that you can see where yours fit into the big picture. But like I said, if you have all the answers already, why bother learning anything more.

TUSooner
11/9/2012, 02:22 PM
good grief...only the libs come up with this $hit when they are in power...seriously the dems have had just as much NON-negotiating as the pubs...but they bring it up when it's convenient. Go tell this to the dems and obama when they were craming aca down our throats...whatever.

It takes a lot of anger and paranoia to react like that to an innocuous quotation from 50 years ago.

And by the way, S.I Hayakawa was a Republican Senator.

There's a great big wonderful world out there, if you'd get your head out the bubble for a minute.

Curly Bill
11/9/2012, 02:25 PM
TU, glad you could come around to enlighten everyone with your superior wisdom. We are indeed greatly indebted to you.

So much so we can even overlook your condescending tone.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/9/2012, 02:27 PM
"Understanding is boring. Conflict is exciting." -Bourbon St Sooner

LiveLaughLove
11/9/2012, 02:33 PM
Sheesh. It doesn't mean you have to accept other views, just understand them, so that you can see where yours fit into the big picture. But like I said, if you have all the answers already, why bother learning anything more.

Not hard to understand. We have. You want. You call us names to de-humanize us. You justify stealing what we have. You have the majority so you get to do so.

Did I miss anything?

SoonerorLater
11/9/2012, 02:34 PM
"If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.

Master Po (from TV series Kung Fu)

Has nothing to do with anything I just wanted to post it.

StoopTroup
11/9/2012, 02:37 PM
Here's to four more years of conflict...a broke America with 2000 rich guys and you chewing on the heads of radioactive mudbugs and flossing with a cypress twig.

YEEHAW ! ! !

Curly Bill
11/9/2012, 02:39 PM
Here's to four more years of conflict...a broke America with 2000 rich guys and you chewing on the heads of radioactive mudbugs.

YEEHAW ! ! !

Is this what has turned you into a raving fool?

jkjsooner
11/9/2012, 02:41 PM
Not hard to understand. We have. You want. You call us names to de-humanize us. You justify stealing what we have. You have the majority so you get to do so.

Did I miss anything?

We/you, who are you talking about?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obama-wins-8-10-wealthiest-154837437.html

TUSooner
11/9/2012, 02:45 PM
"If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.

Master Po (from TV series Kung Fu)

Has nothing to do with anything I just wanted to post it.

It is an improvement on your usual stuff, nonetheless.

StoopTroup
11/9/2012, 02:45 PM

Oh...here we go....

The voice of reason and Peace and Goodwill Towards All Men.

JohnnyMack
11/9/2012, 02:46 PM
I will kill all the white people if you elect me to a second term.

- Barack Obama

TUSooner
11/9/2012, 02:46 PM

Did I miss anything?

What name have I called you?

TUSooner
11/9/2012, 02:47 PM

Come on! It's not even crawfish season.

Curly Bill
11/9/2012, 02:48 PM
Oh...here we go....

The voice of reason and Peace and Goodwill Towards All Men.

I prolly would be if I were on the "happy pills!" ;)

JohnnyMack
11/9/2012, 02:49 PM
I fully support and endorse the reelction of Barack Obama.

- Adolf Hitler

Me too.

- Joseph Stalin

TUSooner
11/9/2012, 02:49 PM
TU, glad you could come around to enlighten everyone with your superior wisdom. We are indeed greatly indebted to you.

So much so we can even overlook your condescending tone.

My pleasure. You're welcome!

Bourbon St Sooner
11/9/2012, 02:50 PM
It's Friday. Is it time to drink yet?

Curly Bill
11/9/2012, 02:54 PM
I'm picking up a new assault rifle tomorrow. I figure it increased in value by at least $100 Tuesday evening. I should be indebted to Obammy for making that happen. :)

Petro-Sooner
11/9/2012, 03:00 PM
You guys are funny.

TUSooner
11/9/2012, 03:00 PM
It's Friday. Is it time to drink yet?

I'll be at the Avenue Pub, 1732 St Charles at 5 pm ish.

TUSooner
11/9/2012, 03:02 PM
I'm picking up a new assault rifle tomorrow. I figure it increased in value by at least $100 Tuesday evening. I should be indebted to Obammy for making that happen. :)

You may need 2 and some extra clips. I hear the Bolshies are already on the march to take away the nation's wealth and give to stupid lazy poor people in Detroit and Louisiana.

KABOOKIE
11/9/2012, 03:04 PM
I fully support and endorse the reelction of Barack Obama.

- Adolf Hitler

Me too.

- Joseph Stalin

JohhnyMack has not been funny or smart since 2008 - KABOOKIE.

smooth3d
11/9/2012, 03:04 PM
I find it awfully strange some are so quick to jump down OP's throat and call him a liberal. And when he tell you it's quote from a republican from 50 yrs ago then it gets quite. As was said just because people have different idea's does make them wrong or right or vice versa. It's a lot of hate in the red party. Then y'all wander why people think badly of some republicans. Of course this is going to be taking out of context.

Curly Bill
11/9/2012, 03:05 PM
You may need 2 and some extra clips. I hear the Bolshies are already on the march to take away the nation's wealth and give to stupid lazy poor people in Detroit and Louisiana.

I already got a Mini-14. I needed a mean-looking evil black rifle to go along with it! And I'll buy several extra magazines. ....and bullets.

JohnnyMack
11/9/2012, 03:06 PM
JohhnyMack has not been funny or smart since 2008 - KABOOKIE.

You however have maintained your streak of being a humorless red *** in Cal Ripken, Jr.-like fashion.

KABOOKIE
11/9/2012, 03:08 PM
I find it awfully strange some are so quick to jump down OP's throat and call him a liberal. And when he tell you it's quote from a republican from 50 yrs ago then it gets quite. As was said just because people have different idea's does make them wrong or right or vice versa. It's a lot of hate in the red party. Then y'all wander why people think badly of some republicans. Of course this is going to be taking out of context.

Wow you're a GD genius.

KABOOKIE
11/9/2012, 03:09 PM
You however have maintained your streak of being a humorless red *** in Cal Ripken, Jr.-like fashion.

Don't hate.

SoonerorLater
11/9/2012, 03:29 PM

I guess I missed the part where we determined it is a given that Republicans aren't liberal. Secondly if the OP didn't want to be jumped on he wouldn't have posted such outrageous comments. :smiley_simmons:

StoopTroup
11/9/2012, 03:36 PM
I guess I missed the part where we determined it is a given that Republicans aren't liberal. Secondly if the OP didn't want to be jumped on he wouldn't have posted such outrageous comments. :smiley_simmons:

That kind of sounds like a few GOP's statements on rape and abortion. I guess he had it coming...?

TUSooner
11/9/2012, 03:40 PM
On second thought, let's forget it; we're better off when we ignore each other!

StoopTroup
11/9/2012, 03:48 PM
I prolly would be if I were on the "happy pills!" ;)

I know I've got your goat when you lower your posts to medications. Anytime I see that I know your about to lose your mind. That's not my intention but if it's that damn easy...you should probably have your levels checked.

pphilfran
11/9/2012, 03:48 PM

Too bad neither the left or right can comprehend this simple statement...

TUSooner
11/9/2012, 03:58 PM
Too bad neither the left or right can comprehend this simple statement...
What the **** are you saying, ***hole!? :tongue:

SoonerorLater
11/9/2012, 04:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmYLrxR0Y8

pphilfran
11/9/2012, 04:38 PM
What the **** are you saying, ***hole!? :tongue:

I understand what you are saying....but you are still full of ****.... :)

Mississippi Sooner
11/9/2012, 05:20 PM
YOU ARE ALL FULL OF ****!!!11!!!!1

Soonerjeepman
11/9/2012, 05:29 PM
It takes a lot of anger and paranoia to react like that to an innocuous quotation from 50 years ago.

And by the way, S.I Hayakawa was a Republican Senator.

There's a great big wonderful world out there, if you'd get your head out the bubble for a minute.

lol...no paranoid anger...just stating what I see...

Sooner98
11/9/2012, 05:32 PM
I can't recall...on the first Wednesday of November 2004, were Democrats on the "Kumbaya/understand the opinions of the other side" bandwagon that they are on today?

Soonerjeepman
11/9/2012, 07:25 PM
I can't recall...on the first Wednesday of November 2004, were Democrats on the "Kumbaya/understand the opinions of the other side" bandwagon that they are on today?

um...I would venture to say no~

smooth3d
11/9/2012, 07:52 PM

If I remember correctly we was upset that we had the a weak nominee in Kerry nobody really knew where he stood on issues, similar on how y'all feel about Romney.

TitoMorelli
11/9/2012, 08:10 PM

At least Dems are gracious in victory.

Uh-oh.

Thursday, November 08, 2012
MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (KABC) — A dead pig clad in a Mitt Romney T-shirt was left at a Republican campaign office in Manhattan Beach.

Manhattan Beach Police had to discard the pig’s head and its feet in a trash bin, but not before several passersby saw it.

“I thought it was a dead body because of the way he approached it,” said Manhattan Beach resident Andy Gaeta. “And then when he lifted the shirt, he saw the head wrapped in barbed wire and it’s cut in half, the whole skull was. It looked like something from a butcher’s market.”

The pig was laid out at the doorstep of the Republican headquarters on Highland Avenue.

Well, gracious maybe compared to Texas or Pokie State fans...

kevpks
11/9/2012, 09:35 PM

Uh-oh.

MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (KABC) — A dead pig clad in a Mitt Romney T-shirt was left at a Republican campaign office in Manhattan Beach.

Manhattan Beach Police had to discard the pig’s head and its feet in a trash bin, but not before several passersby saw it.

“I thought it was a dead body because of the way he approached it,” said Manhattan Beach resident Andy Gaeta. “And then when he lifted the shirt, he saw the head wrapped in barbed wire and it’s cut in half, the whole skull was. It looked like something from a butcher’s market.”

The pig was laid out at the doorstep of the Republican headquarters on Highland Avenue.

All that wasted bacon. I regret my vote already.

Harry Beanbag
11/9/2012, 10:13 PM

Uh-oh.

Texas fans would have smoked it and ate it. Poke fans would have ****ed it in the ***.

hawaii 5-0
11/9/2012, 10:48 PM

Just sayin' that nationalized healthcare was originally a Republican idea.

5-0

Sooner98
11/9/2012, 10:51 PM
um...I would venture to say no~

Oh that's right, they were on the "let's destroy George Bush and the entire Republican Party at any cost" bandwagon.

yermom
11/9/2012, 11:14 PM
he did a good job by himself ;)