PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever turned a chalk board into a dry erase board?

cleller
11/8/2012, 04:57 PM
I've been tasked with exploring the best way to get rid of a 10 foot long chalk board, and replacing it with a dry erase board. I hear large dry erase boards are pretty expensive.
There are products on the market, I think, to paint your chalk board, turning it into dry erase. Seems like kind of a gamble, but would be great if it worked. Anyone seen it done.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-chalk-board-dry-erase-board-8810079.html

Saw a video at youtube from IdeaPaint. Their paint will turn just about anything into dry erase, they say. They seem to be the leader. Rustoleum also has a product.

StoopTroup
11/8/2012, 05:28 PM
I don't like Racist Chalk Boards. ;)

DenverSooner751
11/8/2012, 06:52 PM
We did this at my office, instead of wallpaper or paint we turned the entire wall into dry erase using Rustoleum's dry erase paint. Worked like a champ for us, should be able to work on a chalkboard. For the cost its worth a shot!

StoopTroup
11/8/2012, 07:48 PM
Just a quit look at the options for Dry Erase Boards....it seems the Rustoleum method gets a lot of thumbs up.

The thing that got me to thinking was that if you didn't get a true Dry Erase...you might not get the magnetic board properties that some of them have. I think I would like having the magnetic option if I was spending the dough to replace the old green boards.

Also...will you get Stimulus Money if you stay with a Green Board? :D ;)

cleller
11/9/2012, 09:57 AM
Hadn't thought about the magnetic part of that. This is actually going up in a church, so I thing they'd be willing to give up magnets for money.

The old blackboard is 10 feet by 4 feet. A traditional dry erase board anywhere near that size would run from $750-$1000. Incredible. The paint is expensive, too. By the time you prime it, then buy the IdeaPaint it will be around $250. A good savings, though.

Now, I see that Rustoleum has a magnetic primer. Hmmm. However, the Rusoleum kit I saw reviewed at Amazon got some bad reviews for not wiping clean. Several of those had put it over wood, plywood etc, may be part of the problem. Rustoleum looks cheaper.