PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with Leach?

GDC
11/7/2012, 08:32 PM
http://www.lostlettermen.com/mutiny-against-leach-brewing-at-wazzu/

Breadburner
11/7/2012, 08:54 PM
They better stick with him or they will continue to suck....

olevetonahill
11/7/2012, 09:22 PM
Sounds Like he tryin to make Men out of em and they still want the Sugar Tit

One of the players actually ****in CRIED? Just because he had to answer the Media?
Get out.

VA Sooner
11/7/2012, 10:31 PM
He knows how to coach so I suspect this is his way of weeding out the babies on the team.

Maybe he needs Adam James to come in as a motivational speaker at one of their practices...

SCOUT
11/7/2012, 10:42 PM
Leach could always be our offensive coordinator like the good ole days.

We're getting the band back together...

8timechamps
11/7/2012, 11:13 PM
I've been following Leech the whole season, and he's pretty much held the same ground since day one. Sounds like the player culture in Pullman is pretty weak, and he's holding all the players accountable. It's a hard nosed approach to coaching, but he's the master of the turnaround. In a few years, all the WSU fans and players that are upset will be the first ones in line to pat the Pirate on the back.

HateTheWhorns
11/8/2012, 11:03 AM
He got started the same way at TTU. I had a cousin on the BOR at the time and there was much discussion about getting rid of him somewhere during the first year or two of his hire. There were still a lot of Dykes supporters around, he ruffled a lot of brass feathers, and some had issues about his frequent visits to local drinking establishments (poor public image).

badger
11/8/2012, 11:16 AM
He got started the same way at TTU.

The biggest difference between Texas Tech and Wazzu situations seems to be that he got to follow Spike Dykes' retirement at Tech and at Wazzu, has to make a perennial Pac 12 loser into a an actual Pac 12 program. Now granted, Tech never was in the national title or Big 12 title discussion till Leach showed up, but he had the benefit of following a successful coach, in a fertile recruiting state, in a football conference. Wazzu, despite their Rose Bowl appearance against us (yay, Hybl and Q!), is mostly the Kansas of the Pac 12 when it comes to football.

The big problem right now is that he needs better players in Pullman, and I'm not sure publicly embarrassing his current players is a good recruiting method. For the most part, his criticism of Adam James et al was not public or not that centered ("fat little girlfriends" could apply to many and his locker room stuff was released afterward)

stoops the eternal pimp
11/8/2012, 11:56 AM
He got started the same way at TTU. I had a cousin on the BOR at the time and there was much discussion about getting rid of him somewhere during the first year or two of his hire. There were still a lot of Dykes supporters around, he ruffled a lot of brass feathers, and some had issues about his frequent visits to local drinking establishments (poor public image).

This..Losing is a culture...when someone comes in that tries to change that culture, there will be mutiny.

badger
11/8/2012, 12:11 PM
Maybe he needs Adam James to come in as a motivational speaker at one of their practices...

He might need the money. After daddy's failed senate campaign he was reportedly still soliciting donations after the fact to try to recoup losses... and it's not like ESPN's welcoming daddy back with open arms to resume his Thursday night college football gig

I never saw this article before, but it looks like fun so I'm going to link it (http://sportsbybrooks.com/how-craig-james-faked-adams-football-career-29974)

Token CJK5H

SoonerInLubbock
11/8/2012, 12:18 PM
I think this just shows the difference in toughness between football in the south and football in the north west. In the south a lot of these kids grow up working at a young age. Start chuckin hay or working a cotton field at the age of 12, you will see a big difference in work ethic.

goingoneight
11/8/2012, 12:53 PM

Trey Millard would have to be moved to linebacker then.

nutinbutdust
11/8/2012, 01:03 PM
Lmao! just saw the pirate on fox college football. He said after the loss to Utah something like: " if two of our players met one of their players in a dark alley, my guys would get their butt kicked!"

badger
11/8/2012, 01:21 PM
More here. (http://seattletimes.com/html/budwithers/2019614539_withers06.html)

My take: Stupid kids.

$24,126 to $37,208

You are being paid about $24,000 to $37,000 (the in-state and outta-state tuition/fees/room/board estimate given by Wazzu) to play football. At least, because that doesn't include tons of other expenses involves in playing football. It is your job and there's not many places out there that will pay you that much to play football.

And... no offense Cougar fans, especially the ones that cart the flags around the country to Gameday each weekend, but it's Wazzu. If you can't make it at the lowliest Pac 12 program, you are not going to make it elsewhere. Either do your job or take out thousands in student loan debt like the rest of us.

agoo758
11/8/2012, 01:35 PM
Sounds Like he tryin to make Men out of em and they still want the Sugar Tit

One of the players actually ****in CRIED? Just because he had to answer the Media?
Get out.

To be fair to Travis Long (the crier), I hear he is just an emotional guy who is moved to tears alot, and that incident had nothing to do with what Leach said.

I've read from a few places that he is one of the few on that team who actually TRY and CARE

badger
11/8/2012, 01:43 PM
To be fair to Travis Long (the crier), I hear he is just an emotional guy who is moved to tears alot, and that incident had nothing to do with what Leach said.

I've read from a few places that he is one of the few on that team who actually TRY and CARE

I tried to find a video, but the incident was described by the media as... weird. And it had nothing to do with a crying lineman.

Basically, the media knew that after the Utah loss that there was something odd, because Mikey routinely doesn't talk to them until 30-40 mins after the game ends at least. But this time, he apparently only made them wait less than 15 minutes.

After this usual coach Q&A session, media members usually request which players they want to talk to for postgame comments. HOWEVER, Mikey decided that rather than accept media requests (they were ignored if there were any), the entire offensive and defensive lines were ushered into the tiny little interview room to answer for their performances directly to the media.

In other words, Mikey (who I think loathes the media and treats them as a necessary inconvenience similar to Bob Stoops) used the media in his "coaching." I can just picture him in the locker room after the loss "OK you linemen, since you were zombies out there, take your dead non-effort directly to the media. You are going to answer to our fans and the public directly for your embarrassing performance."

badger
11/8/2012, 01:59 PM
Oh Mikey :)

Start at 21:15:
w1Jh0U8KyzI

If you can't see, here's what he said:

Hell, let’s just make this a kind, gentle the rest of the way. I’m going to try it the other way. Go ahead, ask me some questions.”

(Question about how the team can have success this season, answered with heavy sarcasm) “Well, I think they’re doing everything they can to be successful. I think as a team we’ve had a lot of guys participate and they’ve had a lot of fun and they’re trying as hard as they possibly can and everybody wants to win really bad that they’re trying just so hard and I couldn’t be prouder of them and everybody’s done everything we could and this program this year, we’ve taken it as far as we possibly can and we couldn’t be happier with it, because we’ve tried that hard and I think next year’s going to be even better because everybody’s great and everybody’s done a perfect job and I like the way everything’s going.”

(On Travis Long) “Great effort, great mentality, the type of guy that kind of personifies what we’re after, the mentality that we need the whole team to share, although he’s outnumbered. But you know … (heavy sarcasm) Everyone on this team is a great partner, win or lose, no matter how hard they try and there’s a lot of love in the room, all the time, totally.

“Is this better? You like this better? I’ve adjusted. I’m adjusting to your whims and your guys’ desires. I’ve been guided this direction. How’s it going?”

FirstandGoal
11/8/2012, 03:07 PM
Heh, the football world is a much better place with Leach in it. :cheerful:

EatLeadCommie
11/8/2012, 03:13 PM
That press conference is frigging fantastic. He just tells it like it is. Poor Mike.

badger
11/8/2012, 03:16 PM
That press conference is frigging fantastic. He just tells it like it is. Poor Mike.

He blames himself first after the Utah loss. Perhaps he just wanted to give the players a taste of what he experiences after those embarrassing loses week after week --- having to answer to the media and public for their lack of effort.

I really do think that they put sh!t together and the survivors of the late-Sunday conditioning punishment drills will get to experience a signature win still this season. Who's left to embarrass?

vs. UCLA (Dad's Weekend)
at Arizona State
vs. Washington (Apple Cup)

Any of those are good candidates. The Washington fans were nice to us when we visited Seattle, so how bout UCLA for being d00shes back in 2005? (they really were -- they were pathetically bad)

Mississippi Sooner
11/8/2012, 03:34 PM
So, how are the girls up there? Are they little and fat?

MichiganSooner
11/8/2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks for putting up the video, Badger. Love those Mike Leach interviews.

DrZaius
11/8/2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks for putting up the video, Badger. Love those Mike Leach interviews.

I tell you this, if you like his interviews you will love his book. One of my favorites. He is a pretty interesting dood. In fact he coached baseball at first and would just wear opposing teams out because he said it did not make sense not to score. Funny a rubber dog poo. He even pees on a dog.

badger
11/9/2012, 09:11 AM
He has been full of quotables this year. I could have dedicated a thread to nothing but Leach quotes/videos this football season if everything else wasn't bogging me down(baby badger especially).

I haven't done a meltdown update in weeks. I will probably have to after texags blows up following Bammer winning by 70. Baylor fans have a different sort of meltdown, so I can probably do them after we beat them by 60. And then, West Virginia upsetting OSU at Stillwater should be a good OP blowup.

But till then... I'll try to find some more Mikey for all of you to love.

badger
11/9/2012, 11:03 AM
OK, I present to you: What you may have missed from Mike Leach this season:

On Sept. 22, Wazzu came very close to winning its Homecoming against Colorado, but fell one point short, 35-34. The loss dropped Wazzu to 2-2 (and it started a six-game losing streak that continues to this day) and was highly disappointing for everyone, and we can understand, because Colorado used to be in the Big 12 and they have sucked ever since getting rid of jerk Gary "Not only was she a girl..." Barnettt.

U3Vbxsw64Oo
Again, if you cannot view...

“The biggest thing is our mentality. We’re a mentally weak team, and that’s got to change and the thing is sit’s a decision and I think it starts with us as coaches. We need to change the mentality of this team. As a team we’re afraid to be successful so when we get ahead we want to relax and enjoy it, which is crazy, if you consider the offseason, if you consider practices, how much you work and how long you work at getting a handful of plays in a season and even a career, to not make the most of them is unfathomable and as coaches we’ve got to change it. As players there’s got to be a certain amount of accountability. So we want to go complacent when we’re ahead and then we want to panic when something good happens for the other guy and physically we’re not that bad. We’re not that bad physically, but mentally? We’re afraid to be successful, we’re afraid to win. I don’t know if we’re afraid of the responsibility that comes with winning, but we need to go out there and take a lot of pride in our individual battles and winning them. And do it consistently and do it every snap and right now we don’t do that. We let setting – time, place score – we let that impact it and that’s crazy and unless we get that changed, our results are going to be the same. That has to change.”
The entire transcript is here. (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2012/sep/22/impassioned-mike-leach-assesses-tough-loss/)

I remember when they did this after beating Texas in the 2001 Big 12 Championship. Why do I remember it? Because they wouldn't stop playing the video when we went out to Boulder the next year:
cW1DXEDazFU

Here's what Leach said a few days later:
yRRQPdAWexM

Hearing about Wazzu blow this lead kind of reminds me of reading about the 1999 Sooners, Stoops' first year. They were ahead and then would blow leads because they weren't used to winning and didn't know how to close out wins.

So, chin up Wazzu fans. You'll get there.

badger
11/14/2012, 02:18 PM
FS Arizona just did a radio interview with him (before the UCLA game, but it broadcast today) that is worth a listen:
Link (http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/common/global_audio/271/30369.mp3)
He talks about running the spread in cold weather, the similarities in transition between starting at Tech and starting Wazzu and banning twitter.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure his Monday presser was fun. Here's the video:
I-PvupOC_8E
EDIT: Leach's demeanor through all of the abuse questions is... well, BORED. It starts at about 3 minutes I think.

EDIT2: He describes Texas Tech fans pregame fun and weather comparisons at about 9 mins :)

birddog
11/14/2012, 02:33 PM
Obviously everyone is wrong but mike

badger
11/14/2012, 02:37 PM
Also, LOL and kudos to this Wazzu fan:
Linky (http://deadspin.com/5959805/the-washington-state-fan-chugging-fireball-whiskey-at-saturdays-game-deserves-our-acclaim)

Spoiler: ESPN caught him chugging whiskey early in the UCLA/WSU game :)

cleller
11/14/2012, 02:49 PM
Oh Mikey :)

Start at 21:15:
w1Jh0U8KyzI

If you can't see, here's what he said:

That whole thing is a little uncomfortable. Leach is his own guy, and a proven winner, but it seems like things other than just the football team are bothering him. There are things going thru Leach's head that I'm sure go thru Bob or Mike's head also, but they know when to put the brakes on.

PalmBeachSooner
11/14/2012, 03:06 PM

He was OC for one season. Those good ol' days were short lived. Oh, and we were 7-5 that season, but after the preceeding Blake years that felt like a national champioship season.

badger
11/14/2012, 03:29 PM
He was OC for one season. Those good ol' days were short lived. Oh, and we were 7-5 that season, but after the preceeding Blake years that felt like a national champioship season.
So what did the actual national championship season feel like? :D

:( i have to ask because i didn't arrive at OU until 2001 :(

OkieThunderLion
11/14/2012, 04:01 PM
When the whole nation moved to the spread offense, Leach lost his gimmick.

Wishboned
11/14/2012, 04:01 PM

Like ending a nightmare and entering a dream.

StoopTroup
11/14/2012, 04:06 PM

Mayne it did for you but it was Y2K the night we lost to Mississippi in Shreveport. We just got hammered in that POS dirt parking lot as we figured Hung Over and Hungry would be best if the END OF THE WORLD had taken place by morning. :D

I swear....that really did blow but Y2K was as much BS as all this seceding from the Union some folks are promoting. If things workout though....this means next year...we will win the National Championship.

cleller
11/15/2012, 10:19 AM

Being on campus that season would have been a hoot and a half.

OkieThunderLion
11/15/2012, 10:31 AM
Like ending a nightmare and entering a dream.

Soaked in every second of it, because I knew I may never see another.

badger
11/15/2012, 10:41 AM
I'm gonna throw some numbers out there for you all to consider:

Lost 30-6
Won 24-20
Won 35-27
Lost 35-34
Lost 51-26
Lost 19-6
Lost 31-17
Lost 24-17
Lost 49-6
Lost 44-36

And some more numbers:

Won 64-21
Won 59-7
Lost 42-24
Won 31-27
Lost 28-25
Lost 44-14
Lost 44-21
Lost 43-28
Lost 30-7
Won 37-27
Lost 30-27
Lost 38-21

Do you notice any difference between the scores?

One is Mike Leach's first season at Wazzu. The other is Paul Wulff's final season at Wazzu.

Anyways, I just bring this up because I had been under the impression that Wulff's final season was filled with blowouts, whereas at least Mike's teams are keeping losses close... Wazzu seems to be a perennial close-loser.

But that's only if you look at Wulff's final season. Go back a few more (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Wulff) and you'll see that Wulff's final year was the ONLY season that he had close losses. The other seasons? JUST losses.

So, Leach and Wulff's back-to-back seasons have similarities, in that there's a lot of close losses. The difference? Mike did it in his first year, while Wulff did it right before getting fired in his final (WSU was also his alma mater)

kevpks
11/15/2012, 10:49 AM
They need to stick with him unless he breaks an actual law. It's their best hope of winning.

MountainOkie
11/15/2012, 11:22 AM
That whole thing is a little uncomfortable. Leach is his own guy, and a proven winner, but it seems like things other than just the football team are bothering him. There are things going thru Leach's head that I'm sure go thru Bob or Mike's head also, but they know when to put the brakes on.

Meh, everybody else in America is PC. You need at least one dude that just speaks straight from the mind that God gave him...and a wonderfully strange, unique mind it is too.

DarrellZero
11/15/2012, 01:08 PM
Meh, everybody else in America is PC. You need at least one dude that just speaks straight from the mind that God gave him...and a wonderfully strange, unique mind it is too.

This. These people act as if upsetting someone is tantamount to murder.

We've become a nation of women. Sigh.

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2012, 01:14 PM

You gonna take that, Badger?

badger
11/15/2012, 01:20 PM
You gonna take that, Badger?

F*** no! That's insulting to us women!

More appropriate wordage: We've become a nation of Pokes. Sigh.

Pokes get offended at everything, from the media, to twitter, to the bricks in their stadium, to any mentions of planes doing anything except flying.

I'm not offended... but Pokes would be. :stunned: :les: [hairGel] :eddie:

MountainOkie
11/15/2012, 01:26 PM
"The battle of the sexes will never be won by either side, there's too much 'fraternization' with the enemy." Quote by somebody, I'm too lazy to look it up.

olevetonahill
11/15/2012, 01:30 PM

Buncha Poosies

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2012, 01:46 PM
"The battle of the sexes will never be won by either side, there's too much 'fraternization' with the enemy." Quote by somebody, I'm too lazy to look it up.

The other way I heard it was when women took up pole dancing as an aerobic workout, the men won the battle of the sexes.

MountainOkie
11/15/2012, 01:50 PM
The other way I heard it was when women took up pole dancing as an aerobic workout, the men won the battle of the sexes.

Yeah, I'd expect to hear things like that in Boulder too.

PalmBeachSooner
11/15/2012, 02:16 PM

Fantasmagoric.

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I'd expect to hear things like that in Boulder too.

More misplaced Boulder smack.

MountainOkie
11/15/2012, 05:23 PM
More misplaced Boulder smack.

So I take it you aren't from Boulder?

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2012, 06:22 PM
So I take it you aren't from Boulder?

In the distant past. But pole dancing aerobics was a nationwide fad, as I recall. Saw it on the national news. The hippie chicks in Boulder would be against it, if you want to stereotype.

MountainOkie
11/15/2012, 06:32 PM
In the distant past. But pole dancing aerobics was a nationwide fad, as I recall. Saw it on the national news. The hippie chicks in Boulder would be against it, if you want to stereotype.

I wasn't knocking the pole dancing, I think women are free to do whatever they want. I was knocking the divisive gender war slant on it.

Oh, and I've actually been there and interacted with faculty from CU, so this isn't "stereotyping" it comes from actual experience.

Finally, I could do without the "holier than thou" act Boulder. Thanks so much.

Just try not to let me bother you so much in the future.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/15/2012, 07:09 PM
You took the first shot at HIM, stud.

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2012, 07:14 PM
And I was just attempting a bit-o-humor - I should stop that. But I probably won't because I crack myself up!

:)

MountainOkie
11/15/2012, 09:02 PM
You took the first shot at HIM, stud.

This goes back aways Tulsa, besides this is a private fight.

MountainOkie
11/15/2012, 09:07 PM
And I was just attempting a bit-o-humor - I should stop that. But I probably won't because I crack myself up!

Sure you were Boulder. Just like the last time you went about baiting me. You're full of it.

I do realize that you want my attention, but I just don't like you in that way. Sorry. :) ...friend.

olevetonahill
11/15/2012, 09:11 PM

You fly upside down Nekked?
Me too

olevetonahill
11/15/2012, 09:12 PM
This goes back aways Tulsa, besides this is a private fight.

Sure you were Boulder. I'll remember that the next time you go about baiting me.

I know you want my attention, but I just don't like you in that way. Sorry. :) ...friend.

So yer sayin this is a Lovers spat? Ok we let you 2 love birds settle

MountainOkie
11/15/2012, 09:24 PM

Thanks Vet. Kisses. ;).

olevetonahill
11/15/2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks Vet. Kisses. ;).

Im all for keepin Harmony on the board :courage:

Now is there any news on Mike?

8timechamps
11/15/2012, 10:01 PM
Keep it classy folks. Back on subject please...

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2012, 10:08 PM

Must be a lost love - MountainOkie don't ring a bell.

olevetonahill
11/15/2012, 10:19 PM
Keep it classy folks. Back on subject please...

Heh I did I axed if there was any news :encouragement:

BoulderSooner79
11/15/2012, 10:27 PM
Heh I did I axed if there was any news :encouragement:

Leach ain't been fired yet.

olevetonahill
11/15/2012, 10:45 PM
Leach ain't been fired yet.

But did CJK5Hs?

Scott D
11/15/2012, 11:43 PM
But did CJK5Hs?

Word is he's kicked Adam out of the house because while at Texas Tech Adam failed to K1H. Allegedly from the shouting at the doorstep, the word Mama's Boy came out a lot, and the final phrase was You're Not My Seed.

olevetonahill
11/15/2012, 11:45 PM
Word is he's kicked Adam out of the house because while at Texas Tech Adam failed to K1H. Allegedly from the shouting at the doorstep, the word Mama's Boy came out a lot, and the final phrase was You're Not My Seed.

Good to hear his Dooshness is carryin on

badger
11/16/2012, 09:23 AM

Oh yeah, AJ did not K1H, or as it will from now on be known, AJDNK1H :P

badger
11/20/2012, 09:27 AM
Apparently college football players whining about abuse and quitting teams isn't exclusive to Mike Leach.

Linky (http://newsok.com/minnesotas-kill-player-quit-over-discipline/article/feed/464810)

Like Leach, Kill is trying to change a losing culture at Minnyhaha and is taking over for a failboat of a coach in Tim Brewster (the gophers were BAD under Brewster!)

Tear Down This Wall
11/20/2012, 10:54 AM
His offense is now old, and he refuses to address the defensive side of the ball.

As long as he is committed to not changing and accepting that there are also defensive and special teams elements to a football team, he will fail.

And, from his comments and demeanor, it looks like he won't fail gracefully.

badger
11/21/2012, 03:40 PM
I don't agree with you on many things here Tear Down This Wall, but I'm sure that we would agree that while it's fun to have Leach be in college football, he's not the type of coach that a top program would want to have in their own program as head coach... coordinator, sure, but not head coach. A two-win season at OU would get him fired, even if was in his first year, even if he followed a bad coach like Boo Blake. But at Wazzu, he'll get at least another season or two to right the ship.

In any event, the latest on Leach: He addressed the abuse claims again and also talked about offseason expectations here. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/11/20/mike-leach-washington-state-struggles/1717957/)

Nothing really of note in the Leach presser -- he talked about spousal allergies or something after he started hacking in the press conference room, but mostly meh. The press seems to be a very small group (not that Pullman is huge) so they seem to not really know what to ask that's new anymore.
jRhpA72uJMM

In any event, keep signing your books against Craig James (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1182888-mike-leach-calls-craig-james-a-******-escalates-war-of-words), Mikey. Here's hoping you can annoy the Pac 12 more in your second season than in your first.

Tear Down This Wall
11/21/2012, 04:45 PM
Agree. Wazzu ain't big, nor the press that covers it.

My whole problem is, I like a coach who takes the whole team seriously. For Leach, it seems like more of an academic exercise to him: what can I get away with on the offensive side of the ball?

He rode Hal Mumme's wave in the late 90s, spent a year here, and then was gone.

I'm just not impressed with him as a coach...and, am becoming less impressed with him as a person. Some people who acts like buttholes at least have some championship hardware to back up their attitude and philosophy.

You can easily stick guys like Urban Meyers and Nick Saban in the butthole column, but you have to respect that their method of buttholism has delivered championships. Leach hasn't even as much as shared a conference title.

Someone at Wazzu needs to tell him to shut up until he can produce results on the field. He understood what he was signing up for at that place.

Why he should be so bitter about the crappiness of its players/atmosphere is beyond me. Did he think they sucked before because of the championship attitude of the players and administration? I mean, what kind of football history does Wazzu have? It isn't a secret that they suck more often than not.

hvhurricane
11/21/2012, 04:56 PM
I tried to say the same thing when he first got hired but was quickly trashed on the board. I don't t think he truly understood what he was getting into at Wazzu. I have been there and it is a complete ****hole. That is going to bs a very hard program to turn around. If he doesn't change his attitude he doesn't make it to a third year. People will only put up with that stuff if you are winning.

badger
11/21/2012, 05:05 PM
what can I get away with on the offensive side of the ball?
lol - reminds me of when I've played madden/ea ncaa football on xbox. You NEVER punt on fourth down... and if it's any down with a mile to go, just like up a Hail Mary and try to keep the ball as long as possible. Defense is a needless waste of time... GIMME THE BALL BACK SO I CAN HAIL MARY IT AGAIN!

I tried to say the same thing when he first got hired but was quickly trashed on the board. I don't t think he truly understood what he was getting into at Wazzu. I have been there and it is a complete ****hole. That is going to bs a very hard program to turn around. If he doesn't change his attitude he doesn't make it to a third year. People will only put up with that stuff if you are winning.
About the only way you can win at minor schools in major conferences is to be quirky. I'm not gonna count Mike Leach out just yet, just because of this sh!tty first season up there. When a coach's hair starts to turn gray though, they're probably too old to change their ways or their attitude, so either they're going to start winning, or this is Leach's final stop in college head coaching.

So long as he improves in year 2 - and based on the fact that he's playing a ton of freshmen this year you have to think he will - he'll get a year 3.

badger
11/23/2012, 09:44 PM
Leach to haters: Stop killing hookers!

WSU: 31, Warsh: 28 (OT)

Not only did a huge Wazzu defensive lineman intercept Warsh and run it back to the 5 in overtime, Leach got accosted by a fan as they all streamed onto the field in Pullman post-victory.

Congrats, Cougs.

olevetonahill
11/23/2012, 09:47 PM
Maybe his team is Growing up right before our eyes :welcoming:

bluedogok
11/23/2012, 09:52 PM
Maybe his team is Growing up right before our eyes :welcoming:
That can happen once you get rid of the malcontents....

badger
12/13/2012, 09:14 AM
VINDICATION! (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8741659/washington-state-cougars-review-finds-no-coach-abuses)

Last month, Wilson "resigned" from the team after alleging physical, verbal and emotional abuse by new coach Mike Leach and members of his staff. Wilson complained that coaches would "belittle, intimidate and humiliate us." He did not provide details.

Moos revealed in his memo that he received a text message from Wilson after the UCLA game "where he recanted the allegations of abuse made in a letter written by he and a relative and sent to the media earlier that evening."

Wilson's text to Moos was included in emails released by the school Wednesday in response to a Freedom of Information Act request from a number of media organizations including the AP.

"Mr. Moos this is marquess ... With that letter I wasn't trying to accuse the coaches of hitting players or anything. I was just trying to put it in different terms and now everything is getting misinterpreted and I didn't mean it like that at all ... I simply was trying to get my story across and get my name cleared instead of having it say I'm suspended for breaking team violations ... That could mean like I did drugs or something ... I was never trying to harm the university or the program with it."

swardboy
12/13/2012, 02:53 PM
What's going on with Leach?

sooneron
12/13/2012, 03:05 PM
http://deadspin.com/5968060/it-is-totally-out-of-control-heres-the-letter-that-started-washington-states-investigation-of-mike-leach

badger
12/13/2012, 03:07 PM
What's going on with Leach?
Off landing a 4-star QB (http://washingtonstate.scout.com/a.z?s=137&p=8&c=1&nid=5158020), winning the Apple Cup (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDsQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sbnation.com%2Fcollege-football%2F2012%2F11%2F23%2F3683680%2Fwashington-state-washington-2012-results-score&ei=MTXKUKKcGYbc2QXw14DIBQ&usg=AFQjCNEtO5LzmoX_zIr6XC5BVDJoAXWg7A&bvm=bv.1355272958,d.b2I), feeling vindicated (see above link in above post)

nutinbutdust
12/13/2012, 03:13 PM
Apparently college football players whining about abuse and quitting teams isn't exclusive to Mike Leach.

Linky (http://newsok.com/minnesotas-kill-player-quit-over-discipline/article/feed/464810)

Like Leach, Kill is trying to change a losing culture at Minnyhaha and is taking over for a failboat of a coach in Tim Brewster (the gophers were BAD under Brewster!)

My favorite is the quote from the player on this one....

"The reality of the situation is college football is a dictatorship," Barker said Sunday. "Coaches are making a subjective evaluation about who is good enough to get a scholarship and who gets to play." AJ Barker player who quit the gophers.

All I have to say about his quote is "DUH!".

jkjsooner
12/13/2012, 03:17 PM
My favorite is the quote from the player on this one....

"The reality of the situation is college football is a dictatorship," Barker said Sunday. "Coaches are making a subjective evaluation about who is good enough to get a scholarship and who gets to play." AJ Barker player who quit the gophers.

All I have to say about his quote is "DUH!".

I wasn't offered a scholarship back in my day. Must have been a subjective evaluation of a dictator.

Soonerfan88
12/13/2012, 05:23 PM
Which one of you is posting on Deadspin as CJK5H? :glee:

guzziguy
12/13/2012, 09:21 PM
An OU recruiter visited my HS to look at another player my senior year. While there he watched most of the practice. Since I participated in that practice I can honestly say I was scouted by OU. Then I always finish with the statement that I could have had an OU scholly but for three small things. I needed to be 1. bigger, 2. faster and 3 any good at all.

I would probably have whined that it was too hard too.

Sooner70
12/14/2012, 07:32 AM
Appears Leach exonerated on latest charges. Houston Chronicle carried a short article in Sports section yesterday "Washington State finds no abuse":

"An internal investigation into a former player's allegations by Washington State football coaches didn't turn up any evidence of such abuse", AD Bill Moos said.

"A dozen players were interviewed by Moos' staff, & all reported they were having a positive experience under head coach Mike Leach & his assistants, Moos said". AP contributed to this report.

olevetonahill
12/14/2012, 08:21 AM
Appears Leach exonerated on latest charges. Houston Chronicle carried a short article in Sports section yesterday "Washington State finds no abuse":

"An internal investigation into a former player's allegations by Washington State football coaches didn't turn up any evidence of such abuse", AD Bill Moos said.

"A dozen players were interviewed by Moos' staff, & all reported they were having a positive experience under head coach Mike Leach & his assistants, Moos said". AP contributed to this report.

Yea The kid apologized, So Leach and every one else needs to forgive him and sing ****ing Cumbaya with him