PDA

View Full Version : firearms enthusiasts please assist

SoonerLaw09
11/7/2012, 03:10 PM
I'm thinking of getting a permit and purchasing a handgun or two. What with the election results last night, you never can tell how long they'll be available.

So I'd like some recommendations from some knowledgeable folks. Looking for something fairly easy to use for the average person, but with good stopping power and reliable. I'm no sharpshooter but I can hit the paper at 25 yards more often than not.

olevetonahill
11/7/2012, 03:14 PM
Again, every time we have these discussions it has to start with, What kind of Firearms experience do you have?

Little to none? Start with a 38 or 357 Mag revolver, Ruger is probably one of the best out there Ya wont have any Jams they are simple and easy to use

olevetonahill
11/7/2012, 03:16 PM
If you do get a CCP thren borrow a Semi auto Pistol to qualify with, that way IF you decide thats what you want later you are still qualified

jk the sooner fan
11/7/2012, 03:20 PM
I'm thinking of getting a permit and purchasing a handgun or two. What with the election results last night, you never can tell how long they'll be available.

So I'd like some recommendations from some knowledgeable folks. Looking for something fairly easy to use for the average person, but with good stopping power and reliable. I'm no sharpshooter but I can hit the paper at 25 yards more often than not.

ok - 1. drop the stopping power thing right now - thats been debated ad nauseum by gun enthusiasts/experts/et al - and .....well, too much to type

2. do you want a revolver or a semi-auto? do you have any familiarity with a specific type of firearm?

3. do you want a gun that you can use for both home defense AND conceal carry? or do you want one for each?

i have a S&W .44 magnum with a 6" barrel for sale :D

olevetonahill
11/7/2012, 03:21 PM
ok - 1. drop the stopping power thing right now - thats been debated ad nauseum by gun enthusiasts/experts/et al - and .....well, too much to type

2. do you want a revolver or a semi-auto? do you have any familiarity with a specific type of firearm?

3. do you want a gun that you can use for both home defense AND conceal carry? or do you want one for each?

i have a S&W .44 magnum with a 6" barrel for sale :D

How much?

I aint had a Hand cannon in years , Bout broke my wrist with the last one :welcoming:

jk the sooner fan
11/7/2012, 03:24 PM
$650! nickel plated
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/jksantee/7aa2902f.jpg

olevetonahill
11/7/2012, 03:29 PM
Nice weapon, I'd be puttin me some Pachmayrs on that thing tho :chuncky:

SoonerLaw09
11/7/2012, 03:37 PM
To try to answer all the followups: I have a lot of experience with rifles, very limited pistol experience. One for home defense and one for concealed carry. Prefer semi-auto (I have shot .22 and .45 semi autos). I have actually never used a revolver. I heard that Glocks were very user-friendly.

jk the sooner fan
11/7/2012, 03:39 PM
Nice weapon, I'd be puttin me some Pachmayrs on that thing tho :chuncky:

yeah i've considered doing the same in all honesty - not sure why i still have the original grips on it

olevetonahill
11/7/2012, 03:42 PM
To try to answer all the followups: I have a lot of experience with rifles, very limited pistol experience. One for home defense and one for concealed carry. Prefer semi-auto (I have shot .22 and .45 semi autos). I have actually never used a revolver. I heard that Glocks were very user-friendly.

Then if yer that familiar I'd suggest a Glock 40
Unless you JUST want 2 seperat Pistols then the 40 would werk for both

olevetonahill
11/7/2012, 03:43 PM
yeah i've considered doing the same in all honesty - not sure why i still have the original grips on it

Those wood grips with that checkering would tear the hide off a Palm after much shootin

jk the sooner fan
11/7/2012, 03:47 PM

ok - well you have a TON of choices for home defense. personally there are two ways of looking at home defense. if you want to go pistol - and you think you're going to put the gun in a night stand drawer and rarely pull it out - then get a revolver because you can stuff a revolver in a drawer for 10 years, pull it out - and it will shoot.......a semi-auto requires maintenance

you can also go with a SHTF (**** hit the fan) shotgun - like a Remington 870.....many people believe that the noise associated with the action on a pump shotgun is the first line of defense

i personally am not comfortable with a long gun for home defense as i think it limits your options

i am not a huge fan of Glock - but many many others are

i AM however a HUGE fan of Springfield Armory products

a GREAT carry gun with stopping power is the Springfield XDs in .45 acp. it comes with a standard 5 round magazine but has a 7 round mag with a grip extension - so if you've got a big hand - it'll fit better. .45 acp is a 1911/big round - and this compact XDs shoots super sweet

so thats what i carry

for home defense, I go to the Springfield XDm in .40 caliber (but you can also get this in .45 if you want to have the same round) in the 4.5 inch frame.

they're both polymer guns - i have a light mounted on the bottom rail of my XDm for home defense. i'd personally stay away from red dot lasers but that is a personal choice

the springfields come in both solid black polymer and the two toned sliver over black

XDshttp://onthefiringlines.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/xds451.jpg

XDm (9mm pictured) http://sgcusa.com/images/supporting_images_large/Springfield_Armory_XDm_9mm_C.jpg

jk the sooner fan
11/7/2012, 03:48 PM
Then if yer that familiar I'd suggest a Glock 40
Unless you JUST want 2 seperat Pistols then the 40 would werk for both

a glock 40 cal is actually model #'s 22 and 23 (22 is full size, 23 is sub compact).....i had a 23 and sold it - the glock grips just dont fit my hand very well....great gun - just not my first choice - but definitely a personal thing

go look at the guns - put them in your hand -see how they feel

olevetonahill
11/7/2012, 03:59 PM
a glock 40 cal is actually model #'s 22 and 23 (22 is full size, 23 is sub compact).....i had a 23 and sold it - the glock grips just dont fit my hand very well....great gun - just not my first choice - but definitely a personal thing

go look at the guns - put them in your hand -see how they feel

OH Definitely . Go to a range and try several out, If they dont fit yer hand and they dont feel comfortable then keep tryin till you find one that does

I keep a 357 Wheel gun here close . Dont normally carry one but if I do its a semi auto .7;39 by 25 No particular reason I have that one othere than I bot it cheap with a broken firing pin . I have less than 75 bucks in it after buying a new Pin

jk the sooner fan
11/7/2012, 04:06 PM
sometimes those older guns are the ones that are the most reliable and most comfy!

olevetonahill
11/7/2012, 04:12 PM
sometimes those older guns are the ones that are the most reliable and most comfy!

Its a CZ52, its kinda fun to shoot, a box of 50 runs me about 22 bucks if I remember right Cant remember specs but I think the round exits at about 1650FPS so it has some stoppin power if needed

Tulsa_Fireman
11/7/2012, 04:28 PM
I can't stress enough the shotgun idea for home defense. Throw 00 down a hallway with a mod choke and watch whatever's standing in the way turn into vapor. AAAAAAND there's a fantastic chance the lead that doesn't end up in the ne'erdowell's face won't exit the home and end up in your neighbor's.

You'll hear all the tactical BS about long arms in close quarters but the fact remains there should be an open line to 911 and a manageable weapon that's simple to fire with a reliable mechanism that ensures if the trigger is pulled, the home invader is taking a dirt nap. There's simply a better option than a hand gun for this scenario and that is the shotgun. Specifically something economical and duty driven to serve the expressed need.

I introduce to you the Remington 870 Express synthetic with an 18" barrel. Coming in at under $400, this model has amazing functionality with an available 7 shot tube and with its short length, is controllable in close quarters. This gives an alternative use as well for the bird hunters out there because an 18" barrel makes for a FANTASTIC brush gun as opposed to a 26" or 28" barrel. An open field gun it's not, but to not have one in the cabinet is a disservice.

You're obviously not going to carry an 18" 870. But for home defense, it simply doesn't get any better than this.

jk the sooner fan
11/7/2012, 04:31 PM
i'm not sure i'd call all that tactical stuff about long arms in close quarters "BS" - but whatever

SoonerLaw09
11/7/2012, 04:54 PM
Sounds like there is a trip to H&H in my near future...thx for the rec on the Remy shotgun too. Might have to look into that.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/7/2012, 05:40 PM
It IS BS. ESPECIALLY when speaking of home defense.

The simple fact of it is that two things need to happen. The intruder needs to 1) leave or 2) die/become incapacitated. Throughout this, the smart tactical option regardless of circumstance is to immediately involve law enforcement and take a defensive position to ensure your family's safety. There is no advantage to a family's wellbeing in using a tactical firearm offensively in close quarters room sweeping. The only time that should even be a consideration is in the effort to gather your loved ones so you can assume that defensive position, and even then, only in as limited a manner as possible to get them to your "Alamo" as quickly as possible withOUT interaction with the threat. To engage offensively is a fool's game and the stuff of our boys overseas with metric **** tons of back-up, not Joe the Machinist who's seen a few cop shows and throws a lot of lead downrange on the weekends.

After all, the end result is to again, ensure your family's wellbeing first and foremost. If you're sweeping your kitchen with your snazzy new Glock 40 or your 870 Marine, you're exposing yourself unnecessarily. Putting yourself in a position with an unknown number of assailants to corner you, blindside you, get the jump on you, whatever term you like to use that equates to you being up **** creek and your family in the back room without a paddle now that Joe Burglar has your snazzy new Glock 40 or your 870 Marine.

You get your family, you hold your Alamo with deadly force, and you make your intentions (and the fact that the law is en route) well known. And everyone, except for the idiot that peeks his head around the corner thinking you're bluffing, stays healthy and wise.

And again, the best tool for that sound tactical strategy is a shotgun, period point blank. And yes, a big ol' 30" Browning O/U will work for that, let alone a hall sweeper like that 870. It's just point and click, baby.

olevetonahill
11/7/2012, 05:40 PM
If ya go the 870, Dont plan on the "SOUND" stoppin a bad guy. If ya got a perp comin in yer shack SHOOT that mother ****er

olevetonahill
11/7/2012, 05:44 PM
One thing here TF, The man AXED about Hand guns. :snowman:

cleller
11/7/2012, 05:46 PM
Having done lots of pistol shooting over the years, the 40 cal Glock semi-autos are hard to beat. They are also very easy to clean, BUT you have to take it apart a little bit, which can be unnerving until you've done it a few times. It would be best to have someone familiar walk you thru it. Once you get the hang of it, its no big deal.
If that idea scares you a good ole Smith and Wesson revolver is a good, reliable alternative. The trigger pull on a revolver is a little more difficult to master, and takes some practice. You need to get in sync with the timing of the gun, and know when to squeeze, and avoid jerking the trigger. I personally like the "L" frame model 681. Its stainless with fixed sites, .357. It will also shoot .38 special ammo. Kicks a little more than a Glock, especially shooting the .357 ammo.

It boils down to semi-autos are easy to fire, and have larger capacities. Double that of a revolver. You must be comfortable loading a magazine (clip), and more care must be used in unloading and making them safe.
Revolvers are more basic and fool proof, easy to load and unload, but harder to load in a hurry. It is easier to make sure the gun is unloaded, thus somewhat safer, IMO.

One little thing I overlooked. With the Glock you can attach a very nifty little flashlight/laser sight under the barrel. It is fantastic. You can turn the light or laser on or off simply with one finger. It slides off and on very easy. Provides a good light. Very helpful.

Whatever you get, some time at a range shooting a pistol course will really help you feel more comfortable.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/7/2012, 05:49 PM
But he later added this...

One for home defense and one for concealed carry.

And in my opinion, a handgun isn't even close to the right choice for home defense.

For concealed carry however, let me introduce you to the John Holmes of handguns.

http://www.billsgunsaz.com/Pix/Taurus%20Judge/Taurus%20Judge.jpg

If this don't get folks real dead, real quick, they can't get dead.

olevetonahill
11/7/2012, 05:51 PM
But he later added this...

And in my opinion, a handgun isn't even close to the right choice for home defense.

For concealed carry however, let me introduce you to the John Holmes of handguns.

:welcoming:

I prefer a Wheel gun myself . Had an Ole boy tell me once that he had 17 rounds to my 6. I just looked at him and said , Ya plan on missing that many times?

Lott's Bandana
11/7/2012, 06:56 PM

Please take a look at this thread, I was in a similar quandry. I now have 3 handguns and each has its own niche.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?159136-Handgun-recommendation&highlight=handgun

Lott's Bandana
11/7/2012, 06:58 PM
Sounds like there is a trip to H&H in my near future...thx for the rec on the Remy shotgun too. Might have to look into that.

Bass Pro and Academy are good places to buy. H&H is a good place to try.

I'm fortunate to be able to purchase at the BX...saves me a bit.

olevetonahill
11/7/2012, 07:06 PM
Bass Pro and Academy are good places to buy. H&H is a good place to try.

I'm fortunate to be able to purchase at the BX...saves me a bit.

You can buy guns on base?

jk the sooner fan
11/7/2012, 07:59 PM
i know nothing about guns, or tactics

ignore anything i say as its all BS

Lott's Bandana
11/7/2012, 11:27 PM
You can buy guns on base?

Yes. I was shocked when I found that out. They actually have an excellent selection of handguns, long arms...not as much. The tax savings is a benefit hard to ignore.

olevetonahill
11/8/2012, 05:44 AM
Yes. I was shocked when I found that out. They actually have an excellent selection of handguns, long arms...not as much. The tax savings is a benefit hard to ignore.

Is The TAX the only savings for purchasing anything on base?

jk the sooner fan
11/8/2012, 07:55 AM

and this is pure BS - just like your opinion on tactics

its personal choice - but to say that a handgun isnt the right choice for home defense is to dismiss MILLIONS of gun owners who have gone that route

if you dont possess the requisite gun handling/shooting skills - and you think all of your home defense situations are going to be "in the hallway" - then sure, an 870 is a great choice

handguns are an excellent choice if thats suits your abilities and personal needs

Lott's Bandana
11/8/2012, 08:52 AM
Is The TAX the only savings for purchasing anything on base?

Pretty much. Otherwise the prices are pretty competitive with the retail world.

olevetonahill
11/8/2012, 09:52 AM
Pretty much. Otherwise the prices are pretty competitive with the retail world.

Is that for every thing else to? Like Food an stuff?

Tulsa_Fireman
11/8/2012, 09:55 AM
and this is pure BS - just like your opinion on tactics

its personal choice - but to say that a handgun isnt the right choice for home defense is to dismiss MILLIONS of gun owners who have gone that route

if you dont possess the requisite gun handling/shooting skills - and you think all of your home defense situations are going to be "in the hallway" - then sure, an 870 is a great choice

handguns are an excellent choice if thats suits your abilities and personal needs

I'm sorry, poo poo. Did I twist your feelers? Step on your big ol' 12" ego? Maybe I was mistaken when I said that the Taurus Judge is the John Holmes of handguns. YOU'RE the John Holmes of handguns.

And again, I don't give a damn if you're Audie Murphy. If you're sweeping your home by your lonesome with a handgun, you're an idiot. Period. I will be as bold as to say you could give a rip if you put your family in danger because you're such a massive idiot, worried more about swinging your massive thunder hog in some II Amendment macho party than smart, effective home DEFENSE that ensures you and yours walk away unscathed.

But hey, rock on, thunder hog. Swing that massive man-killin' meat. You ain't gotta impress me, I'm already impressed.

delhalew
11/8/2012, 10:40 AM
Let's not over think this. If it throws lead, feels good in your hand, and can be worn on your person, it's a good choice.

Just do like Vet said, and use a semi when you get your permit.

Lott's Bandana
11/8/2012, 12:20 PM
Is that for every thing else to? Like Food an stuff?

Oh no! The Commissary is phenomenally inexpensive. I save tons of $$$ when I go there and stock up.
The only drawback is it is a 20 mile round trip and I have remember to take my gun out of my car before I go.

Lott's Bandana
11/8/2012, 12:24 PM

Peem'd ya.

jk the sooner fan
11/8/2012, 12:33 PM
the commissary charges cost plus 5% - not a bad deal at all if there is one close

i'd have to drive to fort worth to use it

the px really doesnt save you much except for the fact you dont have to pay a sales tax - but wal-mart, etc are pretty competitive with AAFES anymore

olevetonahill
11/8/2012, 12:48 PM
Oh no! The Commissary is phenomenally inexpensive. I save tons of $$$ when I go there and stock up.
The only drawback is it is a 20 mile round trip and I have remember to take my gun out of my car before I go.

Id have to Go when I come for a Game and stock up on stuff then

StoopTroup
11/8/2012, 03:27 PM

You can buy a really nice and very fun bb gun handgun to start learning to shoot with. Matter of fact...if you can ward off an attack with that....you won't even need a real gun.

diverdog
11/8/2012, 09:05 PM
Here is my two cents....get a mean *** dog.

We have had a bunch of home evasions in my area and not one homeowner was able to defend themselves. However, one families dog got a pound of flesh from an intruder.

sanantoniosooner
11/8/2012, 09:06 PM
Home evasions are a good thing.

diverdog
11/8/2012, 09:17 PM
Home evasions are a good thing.
LOL. Stupid auto correct.

Invasions.

olevetonahill
11/8/2012, 09:22 PM
LOL. Stupid auto correct.

Invasions.

Auto correct .
yer an Idiot
I have a Bunch of Guns, Guess what? The ****in thieves Stay away .

diverdog
11/11/2012, 05:31 AM
Auto correct .
yer an Idiot
I have a Bunch of Guns, Guess what? The ****in thieves Stay away .

Vet;

So did the people they robbed.

These guys would watch a home and usually kick the door down during dinner. They were extremely fast and good. Unless you carry a firearm on your hip in your house you would not be able to stop them.

olevetonahill
11/11/2012, 09:00 AM
Vet;

So did the people they robbed.

These guys would watch a home and usually kick the door down during dinner. They were extremely fast and good. Unless you carry a firearm on your hip in your house you would not be able to stop them.

I live on the side of a Hill in the middle of 42 acres, My Security Cam and Dogs let me know If any one is coming. A weapon is always with in reach. 2 right beside me as I type
Tell em come on

Tulsa_Fireman
11/11/2012, 12:30 PM
I just stole your giant wood weiner, I mean "antique bottle capper", while you wasn't looking.

Me and Johnny Mack got a date tonight.

soonerboomer93
11/11/2012, 02:40 PM
i know nothing about guns, or tactics

ignore anything i say as its all BS

I don't think that was his point. I think his point is regarding someone who isn't trained in tactics.

You really think it's good for a 1/2 asleep untrained individual to be sweeping his house with a hand gun, or is it safer for them to sit in one spot, with 911 on the phone?

Turd_Ferguson
11/11/2012, 03:00 PM
You really think it's good for a 1/2 asleep untrained individual to be sweeping his house with a hand gun, or is it safer for them to sit in one spot, with 911 on the phone?Since I have balls, not ovaries, plus wife and kids in the house, I'll be "sweeping".

I'm not trained, but I do know how a firearm works. :biggrin:

Curly Bill
11/11/2012, 03:01 PM
Since I have balls, not ovaries, plus wife and kids in the house, I'll be "sweeping".

I'm not trained, but I do know how a firearm works. :biggrin:

Werd! 911 is for p*****s!

bluedogok
11/11/2012, 03:39 PM
99% of the time a response from 911 will be after the crime has been committed. Unless there happens to be an officer in your neighborhood the response time will take too long.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/11/2012, 07:30 PM
Hence the reason you START law enforcement, protect your family, and take a DEFENSIVE position until law enforcement arrives.

I mean seriously. Is your insured TV worth getting killed over? Putting yourself in a position where you can have your firearm taken and your wife raped and killed while you bleed out in the living room?

Turd_Ferguson
11/11/2012, 07:38 PM
Hence the reason you START law enforcement, protect your family, and take a DEFENSIVE position until law enforcement arrives.

I mean seriously. Is your insured TV worth getting killed over? Putting yourself in a position where you can have your firearm taken and your wife raped and killed while you bleed out in the living room?I ain't worried about any material thing in my house. However, if somebody breaks through any opening in my house, they're more than likely going to come across one of my cubs...and when they do, expect to meet Papa Bear.

bluedogok
11/11/2012, 07:46 PM
For one thing you don't let them get close enough to get your weapon. If they have intentions to "rape and kill" they are going to anyway whether you try to be defensive or not. To me taking them out is being defensive if they are threatening you. Waiting for the police to arrive will do nothing but give them the time because most aren't going to hang around and wait for the police to show up. In a home invasion most of the time you aren't going to have the time to "START law enforcement" (whatever that means), you are only going to have time to defend your house. In most cases a criminal performing a home invasion are doing it with the intent of harming persons so you aren't going to prevent a murder/rape from happening unless you defend yourself whereas a burglary while no one is home they are looking to avoid the resident. If you want to sit back and play victim you are more than welcome to.

...and most anger about theft has nothing to do with theft of items, it has more to do with the loss of ones feeling of security and sanctity of home being violated. I know that I was pissed more about that after having our house burglarized twice in a year.

StoopTroup
11/11/2012, 08:22 PM
Werd! 911 is for p*****s!

Have you thought about just wearing a vest loaded with c4 and just taking them all out when they break in. I'd be really impressed by that. :wink:

C&CDean
11/11/2012, 08:28 PM
Lots of gay going on up in this one.

Who carries a handgun to a shotgun party? Sheez people.

colleyvillesooner
11/11/2012, 09:52 PM
Curious as to where Dean falls on the sweep or defensive position issue.

Turd_Ferguson
11/11/2012, 09:56 PM
Curious as to where Dean falls on the sweep or defensive position issue.

Doesn't matter...Dean has a SeaWhiz on his front porch.

The noise in the back ground is STEP farting...

AcR-oGeBXmc

soonerboomer93
11/11/2012, 11:48 PM
There's a fine line between brave and stupid.

If your kids/wife are in a location you secured, isn't it safer (for you and them) to stay in that location?

You go out sweeping and someone gets the jump on you, they're no longer safe.

Turd_Ferguson
11/11/2012, 11:54 PM
There's a fine line between brave and stupid.

If your kids/wife are in a location you secured, isn't it safer (for you and them) to stay in that location?

You go out sweeping and someone gets the jump on you, they're no longer safe.I guess you live in a two room house. One room where your family stays at all times, and the other room where the bad guys break in. If that were my case, then I'd agree with you. I don't think that's the case for most people.

olevetonahill
11/11/2012, 11:57 PM
Stupidest bunch of Horse **** argument Ive heard since ST went on his last rant

Heres The Deal, You do what you have the experience and Knowledge and comfort level of doing .
End of ****in story , Yer Welcome

Turd_Ferguson
11/12/2012, 12:00 AM
It's colder than a witches titty in a brass bra tonight...

Turd_Ferguson
11/12/2012, 12:04 AM

Heres The Deal, You do what you have the experience and Knowledge and comfort level of doing .

Howard, You have to understand that there are young, progressive, wet behind the ears, young, knowitall, liberal, dumbasses that know better than us.

Also, your a pasty white guy :biggrin:

olevetonahill
11/12/2012, 12:12 AM
Howard, You have to understand that there are young, progressive, wet behind the ears, young, knowitall, liberal, dumbasses that know better than us.

Also, your a pasty white guy :biggrin:

You aint Talked to Flag bout that have ya

Tulsa_Fireman
11/12/2012, 12:12 AM
This isn't an issue of call the cops and let 'em save the day NOR is it an issue of curl up in a ball and suck your thumb while Johnny Robber shafts your wife.

Hell yeah you vaporize the son of a bitch.

But you do it on YOUR terms, protecting your own. And you put yourself in the best position to do so, which is in a defensive position with your family behind your weapon with the drop on anyone that crosses whatever practical or tactical line you've established in the structure of your home. And you hold that line until someone A) ends up dead or B) the cops get there and assist with the removal of said persons. If you guys want to cowboy, no one's stopping you. But you're foolish to do so, ESPECIALLY when your family is counting on you.

olevetonahill
11/12/2012, 12:14 AM

This isn't an issue of call the cops and let 'em save the day NOR is it an issue of curl up in a ball and suck your thumb while Johnny Robber shafts your wife.

Hell yeah you vaporize the son of a bitch.

But you do it on YOUR terms, protecting your own. And you put yourself in the best position to do so, which is in a defensive position with your family behind your weapon with the drop on anyone that crosses whatever practical or tactical line you've established in the structure of your home. And you hold that line until someone A) ends up dead or B) the cops get there and assist with the removal of said persons. If you guys want to cowboy, no one's stopping you. But you're foolish to do so, ESPECIALLY when your family is counting on you.

What I say Bro? Huh? What I say :encouragement:

picasso
11/12/2012, 12:48 AM
I can't stress enough the shotgun idea for home defense. Throw 00 down a hallway with a mod choke and watch whatever's standing in the way turn into vapor. AAAAAAND there's a fantastic chance the lead that doesn't end up in the ne'erdowell's face won't exit the home and end up in your neighbor's.

You'll hear all the tactical BS about long arms in close quarters but the fact remains there should be an open line to 911 and a manageable weapon that's simple to fire with a reliable mechanism that ensures if the trigger is pulled, the home invader is taking a dirt nap. There's simply a better option than a hand gun for this scenario and that is the shotgun. Specifically something economical and duty driven to serve the expressed need.

I introduce to you the Remington 870 Express synthetic with an 18" barrel. Coming in at under $400, this model has amazing functionality with an available 7 shot tube and with its short length, is controllable in close quarters. This gives an alternative use as well for the bird hunters out there because an 18" barrel makes for a FANTASTIC brush gun as opposed to a 26" or 28" barrel. An open field gun it's not, but to not have one in the cabinet is a disservice.

You're obviously not going to carry an 18" 870. But for home defense, it simply doesn't get any better than this.
I'm related to police officers in the city and they recommend a shotgun for the fact that after you shoot and possibly miss, the intruder can't take it from you and kill you with it. Unless it's a pump that is.

StoopTroup
11/12/2012, 02:31 PM
I nearly put a guys eye out with this baby...

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vintage-Plastic-Toy-Gun-Tracer-Star-Trek-Disc-Gun-Works-Great-Discs-Included-/00/s/MTE5N1gxNjAw/$%28KGrHqZHJFcE+d9n7z2wBQZ1W6qBmw~~60_35.JPG

jk the sooner fan
11/12/2012, 08:13 PM
I don't think that was his point. I think his point is regarding someone who isn't trained in tactics.

You really think it's good for a 1/2 asleep untrained individual to be sweeping his house with a hand gun, or is it safer for them to sit in one spot, with 911 on the phone?

you think your adrenaline wont kick in and 'wake you up' if you truly think you're face with an intruder - or do you stumble thru the house in a stupor when checking on threats?

and regardless of what his point was - he completely dismissed a common home defense method - used by millions - as idiotic

it's one thing to say "i favor this" but another to say "your method is stupid"

it's just ignorant

FirstandGoal
11/12/2012, 09:27 PM
I'm related to police officers in the city and they recommend a shotgun for the fact that after you shoot and possibly miss, the intruder can't take it from you and kill you with it. Unless it's a pump that is.

Yep, I used to work with a buncha cops and they all recommend a shotgun as the weapon of choice for home security for someone who doesn't have very much experience with firearms

olevetonahill
11/12/2012, 09:38 PM
Yep, I used to work with a buncha cops and they all recommend a shotgun as the weapon of choice for home security for someone who doesn't have very much experience with firearms

Even thats wrong to a degree Hon.
You cant just throw out a Blanket statement like that.
Like I said earlier. Its what ever comfort level and experience you have,
A Shotgun or hell ANY weapon in the hands of some one inexperienced scares the hell outta me

jk the sooner fan
11/12/2012, 10:37 PM
there's a reason some LEO' recommend shotguns

it should be obvious but i'll let you all form your own opinion as to why

i'd be curious to know if those same LEO's use shotguns themselves - i'd bet not

olevetonahill
11/12/2012, 10:58 PM
there's a reason some LEO' recommend shotguns

it should be obvious but i'll let you all form your own opinion as to why

i'd be curious to know if those same LEO's use shotguns themselves - i'd bet not

Like I said Jon, It mostly depends on your level of Training and Experience
I have a Shot gun , Yet I keep a semi and a 357 right here By my desk Have an SKS with a 30 rd Mag close to the bed
But I feel very comfortable with these weapons and have fired 1000's of rounds thru em all

I also Dont have neighbors close that I have to worry about a stray rd hitting , I live alone in the Woods, If some one is coming in my shack then I can be almost 100% sure its some one who is intent on committing suicide , So Ill be glad to help them out .

If I Lived in close quarters in a city with small children in the shack Id prolly just keep an 870 handy
Different weapons for different situations

jk the sooner fan
11/12/2012, 10:59 PM
yep