PDA

View Full Version : Back to Baylor mediocrity?

badger
11/7/2012, 11:25 AM
All right people, poll time. Baylor beat us last year for the first time ever. In dishonor of that feat, let us enjoy their found-again mediocrity.

Vote for three days anonymously.

badger
11/7/2012, 11:31 AM
Note: Baylor must beat at least two of the following opponents to finish the season bowl-eligible at 6-6 (they are currently 4-4):
@OU, KSU, Tech, Pokes

Kansas, the current Big 12 loser, trails Baylor by one game in Big 12 standings (after losing to them last week) and must have a +2 game margin to not finish last. They have three games left:
@Tech, ISU, @WVU

I chose 60 for a special reason: They have only 60+ to one opponent so far this season, West Virginia (losing 70-63 at Morgantown).

Art Briles was a hot coaching commodity last season, but is he still after losing RG3? He reportedly makes $1.3 mil at Baylor annually.

Breadburner
11/7/2012, 11:31 AM
Just like Halloween U.....!!!!!

deweydw
11/7/2012, 12:04 PM
Note: Baylor must beat at least two of the following opponents to finish the season bowl-eligible at 6-6 (they are currently 4-4):
@OU, KSU, Tech, Pokes

I though you could be a 5 game winner and be bowl eligible. Or is that next season. :confused:

badger
11/7/2012, 12:35 PM
I though you could be a 5 game winner and be bowl eligible. Or is that next season. :confused:

Most media is still talking about bowl eligibility at 6 wins, so perhaps it's only 5 if there's bowl spots to fill out?

In which case, would a bowl take the ninth-place Big 12 team? Probably not, especially since most rules state that bowls cannot take lesser-win teams ahead of eligible teams with more wins... not that bowls are clamoring for a fanbase that has to cover part of their already-small stadium seating with an endzone tarp.

Mississippi Sooner
11/7/2012, 12:40 PM
Man, having 6 win teams in bowls is bad enough. The fact that they now have a contingency plan to allow 5 win teams if necessary should scream out to everyone what a mockery the bowl system has become. We seem to be getting ever closer to handing out participation ribbons.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2012, 12:40 PM
In which case, would a bowl take the ninth-place Big 12 team?

Maybe that's the evil genius behind keeping the name "Big 12". Bowls won't know ninth place is next to last.

badger
11/7/2012, 12:59 PM
Man, having 6 win teams in bowls is bad enough. The fact that they now have a contingency plan to allow 5 win teams if necessary should scream out to everyone what a mockery the bowl system has become. We seem to be getting ever closer to handing out participation ribbons.

I actually could not find anything to cite that, so don't quote me. In fact, I've read of plans to axe lower bowls and up the ante to 7 wins for bowl eligibility, but that likely wouldn't happen till 2014 at the earliest.

They are money losing ventures for participating teams, so with most football programs in the red already anyways, lower tier bowls are likely going to become Dodo birds.

Mississippi Sooner
11/7/2012, 01:01 PM
I actually could not find anything to cite that, so don't quote me. In fact, I've read of plans to axe lower bowls and up the ante to 7 wins for bowl eligibility, but that likely wouldn't happen till 2014 at the earliest.

They are money losing ventures for participating teams, so with most football programs in the red already anyways, lower tier bowls are likely going to become Dodo birds.

It's from Wiki, but apparently it is true, at least for this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_NCAA_football_bowl_games

StoopTroup
11/7/2012, 01:32 PM
mediocrity?
I thought that was what they were last year? Seriously...it's back to near the cellar for them. At least their new cellar will make it comfortable when 40,000 OU Fans invade Waco to watch The Sooners play a Scrimmage.

badger
11/7/2012, 01:50 PM
mediocrity?
I thought that was what they were last year? Seriously...it's back to near the cellar for them. At least their new cellar will make it comfortable when 40,000 OU Fans invade Waco to watch The Sooners play a Scrimmage.

Last year was the year they finally beat us. If they were mediocre, what does that make us? Meerkats? :(

StoopTroup
11/7/2012, 01:56 PM
Last year was the year they finally beat us. If they were mediocre, what does that make us? Meerkats? :(

Not sure why you have to go there. Maybe you can cheerlead for them Saturday? :D

RGIII was the only thing they had going for them.

We are OU. You seem to have forgot that.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2012, 01:56 PM

We were mediocre last year at the time we played them and we still should have won. We were kickin' their butz until R. Lewis got hurt and the pass rush went out the window.

My only regret in that game was that Bob didn't play for OT. Come on Bob, give us some bonus football!

StoopTroup
11/7/2012, 02:01 PM
We were mediocre last year at the time we played them

I don't even think that's true. We had injuries and some let downs but even before the letdown in Stoolwater...we could have won the Big XII with a win there. If OU Mediocrity is one game away from winning the Conference every year...I think it's proof of why so many crybaby Universities have left the Big XII to be cellar dwellers and Mediocre Teams in 3 other Conferences.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2012, 02:11 PM
I don't even think that's true. We had injuries and some let downs but even before the letdown in Stoolwater...we could have won the Big XII with a win there. If OU Mediocrity is one game away from winning the Conference every year...I think it's proof of why so many crybaby Universities have left the Big XII to be cellar dwellers and Mediocre Teams in 3 other Conferences.

Compare the games against ISU, Baylor, OSU and Iowa to the team that started 6-0. We were an average team, but I'm not bitchin' about it. Almost all our skill players were hurt on offense. One of our biggest strengths on defense was a consistent pass rush with R. Lewis and Alexander. Lewis went out early in the Baylor game and never played again. Alexander dislocated his shoulder in the ISU game and was playing with 1 arm and was ineffective after that. We just were not the same team and you could see the beatdown from the Pokes coming from a mile away. It was what it was and I don't see much that the coaches could have done about it other than entertain us more with some OT football at Baylor :)

badger
11/7/2012, 02:27 PM
Maybe you can cheerlead for them Saturday?
I will cheerlead for Baylor when you plant a big fat kiss on Kim Mulkey.

8timechamps
11/7/2012, 02:39 PM
Fortunately for Baylor, Kansas is still in the Big XII.

Art Briles would be a dynamite offensive coordinator.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2012, 02:41 PM
I will cheerlead for Baylor when you plant a big fat kiss on Kim Mulkey.

Thanks a lot for that image, Badger.

:grumpy:

tycat947
11/7/2012, 04:20 PM
Guess I didn't know Hypocrite U ever left mediocrity! They still are in Wacko, right?

tycat947
11/7/2012, 04:25 PM
They also have their own T Bone, aka Drayton McLane (former Astro owner). Of course, being a private school no one ever knows what's going on at Hypocrite U.

badger
11/7/2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks a lot for that image, Badger.

:grumpy:
Hell, at least I didn't post an image of Kim Mulkey. Would you like me to post an image of Kim Mulkey?

FACT: I will post ONE IMAGE of Kim Mulkey for EVERY point that OU allows next Saturday. The thread that this will be posted in will be none other than the "This season thus far... in pictures."

FACT: If we shut Baylor out instead, Sherri Coale will make an appearance instead on THIS thread.

FICTION: Kim Mulkey will not make your face melt a la Raiders of the Lost Ark

MERCY RULE: If OU outscores West Virginia's 70-point total and beats Baylor too, there will be no Kim Mulkey photos posted here, or on the basketball forum, by me ALL FOOTBALL season.

bluedogok
11/7/2012, 11:35 PM
I think Briles can have the same type of team that Grant Teaff had there, a competitive mid-pack team in the Big 12 with and occasional good team. Unless he just wants to stay at Baylor, I think he goes elsewhere, UT goes after him after Mack.

kevpks
11/8/2012, 03:04 PM
OK. I've talked enough politics for a bit. Baylor. Are they in town yet? Let's kick their asses.