PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Bowl Awarded Rights to SEC vs. Big 12 Champions Bowl

Sabanball
11/6/2012, 08:31 PM
....starting in Jan. 2015 and running for at least 12 yrs. ESPN paid $80 mil for the rights--I think this is a 'win-win' for both of our conferences....I have a feeling our two fan bases will be spending some New Years in NOLA together in the near future....

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/11/sugar_bowl_is_awarded_sec_vs_b.html#incart_river_d efault

agoo758
11/6/2012, 08:52 PM
So it gets to be a home game for the SEC every year? Nice.

DrZaius
11/6/2012, 09:13 PM
How generous of your TV network.

OUNASH
11/6/2012, 09:25 PM
They should have alternated these sites between Dallas and N.O. I hate playing in the Sugar Bowl. New Orleans is a sludge pit.

humblesooner
11/6/2012, 10:01 PM
I wonder if this eventually becomes a national semi-final. If not, I don't see any it being a Championship Bowl. How many times wil the Big 12 and/or SEC champions not be in a 4 team playoff?

yermom
11/6/2012, 10:52 PM
timing does seem odd. dilutes the Cotton Bowl, it seems.

8timechamps
11/6/2012, 10:54 PM
Guess I'll never go to that game. What a ****ty place to host. The Superdome needs to be leveled.

tycat947
11/6/2012, 10:58 PM
So it gets to be a home game for the SEC every year? Nice.

EXACTLY!

soonervegas
11/7/2012, 12:19 AM
New Orleans > Dallas > Glendale

agoo758
11/7/2012, 01:22 AM
I'm so tired of ESPN equating home bowl wins with "dominance?"

Remember Miami? Remember when they got to play every national championship in their home stadium?

Remember in the early 90's when they stopped doing that? Remember when they started losing a bunch of those games?

Breadburner
11/7/2012, 07:20 AM
Yup...This sucks....

stoopified
11/7/2012, 07:45 AM
Guess now we know how the Big 10 feels playing in the Pac12 backyard.

PrideMom
11/7/2012, 09:57 AM
Who thought this up? I can't stand LSU, and playing them in their back yard is like going to a gun fight with a knife. What a incentive NOT to win the BIG XII.

colleyvillesooner
11/7/2012, 10:00 AM
That blows. Should have alternated. New Orleans sucks. I know alot of people like it, but that stadium BLOWS.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/7/2012, 10:02 AM
Sabanball, I typically have your back...but i don't see how this is a win-win...

fwsooner22
11/7/2012, 10:02 AM
I will never set foot in that place again. Why in the world would the Big 12 agree to play in their backyard ? Won't get a dime of this season ticket holders money.

colleyvillesooner
11/7/2012, 10:10 AM
Sabanball, I typically have your back...but i don't see how this is a win-win...

Cause it's not :)

badger
11/7/2012, 10:19 AM
Hold on guys. I know that Louisiana is in SEC country and I know that we are still bitter about the 2003 (technically 2004) Sugar Bowl, but this can expand the conference's footprint.

Consider this: The SEC championship game has always been in Atlanta and you don't see Georgia dominating jack sh!t. Georgia is like the Big 12's Texas --- great recruits in a great recruiting state with easy access to top talent... and they blow it.

Lester is as incompetent as they come, as the end of the Bammer game shows. He might have won with Nick Satan's players, but he hasn't won since.

Expect LSU to blow this "advantage," if there is one, much like Georgia has been blowing it's SEC title game "advantage" for years.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/7/2012, 10:28 AM
Awesome! More OU games down here in Nawlins. Come on down. We'll treat you well.

We didn't lose that 2004 game because it was in New Orleans. We lost it because the O line decided to take off that game against K State and got our QB hurt.

badger
11/7/2012, 10:31 AM
Awesome! More OU games down here in Nawlins. Come on down. We'll treat you well.

We didn't lose that 2004 game because it was in New Orleans. We lost it because the O line decided to take off that game against K State and got our QB hurt.

Third and Long also reportedly apologized to Kejuan after the game for not running the ball as much. And then the next year, Kejuan ran even less when we got some freshman named Adrian Peterson. Poor Kejuan.

HToady
11/7/2012, 10:36 AM
New Orleans > Dallas > Glendale

+1 in that order. While Scottsdale is a very nice location, the Fiesta has no business being a BCS bowl.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/7/2012, 10:52 AM
To those of you griping about the Sugar Bowl being given the rights to the "Champions Bowl"... Are you out of your flipping minds? This is the best possible news for the Big XII conference that we could even dream of.

Think about it: As it stands right now we are guaranteed a minimum of 3 Big Bowl slots- The Fiesta, Cotton, and Sugar. Not only do we get a chunk of that $80 mil that ESPN is ponying up... but we get those Big Bowl payouts as well. What's more, is we potentially some years could have up to 5 Big Bowl slots- the three bowls aforementioned, plus two playoff slots. That's not real likely to happen, but it could.

What's the alternative? Do you yearn for the Orange? Anyone who thinks Miami is less of a cesspool than 'Nawlins hasn't speant enough time in Dade County. And guess what... that is not only "SEC" country, it is also "ACC" country. So unless we are playing a west coast team in the Orange we will generally be at a decided fan support disadvantage regardless. Not to mention... Driving distance? 'Nawlins, check. Miami... mmmm, not so much. You can, but it's pretty tough. Besides, 'Nawlins is what you make of it. It can be a great place to visit if you focus on the highlights and steer clear of the poo.

How about this angle: Stoops and co. have a Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and Cotton trophy. Who wants some Suga'? Daddy does. That's right, daddy likes him some Suga'! Could there be anything better than whuppin' some SEC *** in their own back yard?

Scott D
11/7/2012, 06:44 PM
odie, I prefer to think of it as Jerruh couldn't get out of his own way again if he couldn't get Arlington into the picture for this.

PLaw
11/7/2012, 06:47 PM
Really, really sux. This game should have been at Jerry World, hands down.

Bummer

Sabanball
11/7/2012, 07:02 PM
Who thought this up? I can't stand LSU, and playing them in their back yard is like going to a gun fight with a knife. What a incentive NOT to win the BIG XII.

I figured you guys would be excited about this and have the attitude 'anywhere, anytime' when given an opportunity to play regularly against an SEC opponent in what will definitely be a very high profile bowl. This game will create some great matchups that we all want to see. And in the early or middle part of January, I'd rather hang out in NOLA than a lot of other places, including Dallas.

By the way, the cotton bowl DID bid on this game. Who's fault is it that they got outbidded?? Don't blame the SEC for that. You need to take that up with the Big 12 office and cotton bowl people.

BajaOklahoma
11/7/2012, 07:19 PM
I hate New Orleans. Sorry, TU.

Scott D
11/7/2012, 09:19 PM
I figured you guys would be excited about this and have the attitude 'anywhere, anytime' when given an opportunity to play regularly against an SEC opponent in what will definitely be a very high profile bowl. This game will create some great matchups that we all want to see. And in the early or middle part of January, I'd rather hang out in NOLA than a lot of other places, including Dallas.

By the way, the cotton bowl DID bid on this game. Who's fault is it that they got outbidded?? Don't blame the SEC for that. You need to take that up with the Big 12 office and cotton bowl people.

the cotton bowl stadium is inferior, case closed.

tycat947
11/7/2012, 09:27 PM
the cotton bowl stadium is inferior, case closed.

The Cotton Bowl Classic is held at Jerry World and the Cotton Bowl stadium is where the OU-tu game is held. I believe the Cotton Bowl Classic (JerryWorld) is who was bidding on this game.

MichiganSooner
11/7/2012, 09:56 PM
I was hoping for Dallas due to proximity. five hour drive instead of around 11. Don't like the sound at Cowboys Stadium; for example, not able to hear band to well during pregame/halftime. I grew up in Michigan. Goal of every Big10 team was to go to Rose Bowl where it was generally a home game for USC/UCLA. Out here, OU has been tied to Orange for years and lately the Fiesta. Dallas gave the Big12 teams something of a homefield advantage in terms of driving to the game and attendance by DFW people who might cheer for the Big 12 team.

BlownGP
11/8/2012, 09:23 PM
Guess I'll never go to that game. What a ****ty place to host. The Superdome needs to be leveled.

You need to be leveled. They just spent millions on renovations. The place is awesome and there's 100s more things to do and see than snobby *** Dallas.

PrideMom
11/9/2012, 11:41 AM
At one time the Big XII actually played in the St Louis Rams arena, why can't we do that again?? Or in San Antonio that was fun!!

SoonerorLater
11/9/2012, 11:48 AM
Been to New Orleans twice in my life. There won't be a third time.

soonergirlNeugene
11/9/2012, 11:57 AM
Also hate this development. The Superdome holds less people than our home stadium. I think any year LSU isn't the SEC team should be better, but I still remember making the trip for the 2003 title game and how dramatically that otherwise fun city transformed into a cesspool of complete *******s. Before 2003 I'd been there five times, but not once since so I suppose things could have changed a bit. Though I've heard it's only a shadow of what it used to be these days. Still think it's crap that not a single BCS bowl is in our footprint.

8timechamps
11/9/2012, 12:27 PM
You need to be leveled. They just spent millions on renovations. The place is awesome and there's 100s more things to do and see than snobby *** Dallas.

Sorry if you took that personal, but I can't stand New Orleans. I have met a lot of really great folks from there, and there are a lot of folks that love New Orleans, I'm just not one of them. I think it's a dirty city (literally). I don't live in Dallas, so I couldn't give two ****s if it were there, or not.

If it was going to stay in the south, I would have preferred anywhere over NO. Oh, and I don't care how much money they put in the stadium (which was largely the result of it nearly being destroyed by a hurricane), it's still a rat hole to me.