PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Early

8timechamps
11/6/2012, 01:00 PM
So, who's leaving for the NFL after this season?

Juniors on the NFL radar:

Kenny Stills
Trey Millard
Tony Jefferson
Aaron Colvin

Of the four, I think Jefferson and Colvin are probably the most read for the move. I think Millard is physically ready, but you don't see a lot of fullbacks taken early, so he may want to stick around another year (I'm not convinced he'll play FB at the next level). I don't think Kenny is ready for the move, but he may think otherwise.

Did I leave any underclassmen off the list?

badger
11/6/2012, 01:07 PM
It doesn't really matter if you're a first round pick or not anymore (unless you're a high pick, in which case you can usually get the entire contract guaranteed and pick up endorsement dealios too), as the rookie slotted scales means that rookies all get lower wages now.

Soooo... does that encourage juniors to come out early (because some want to get paid as soon as possible, even if it's less than Sammie's $50 million) or encourage them to stay (because there's no additional financial incentive regardless of your draft stock)?

8timechamps
11/6/2012, 01:10 PM
It doesn't really matter if you're a first round pick or not anymore (unless you're a high pick, in which case you can usually get the entire contract guaranteed and pick up endorsement dealios too), as the rookie slotted scales means that rookies all get lower wages now.

Soooo... does that encourage juniors to come out early (because some want to get paid as soon as possible, even if it's less than Sammie's $50 million) or encourage them to stay (because there's no additional financial incentive regardless of your draft stock)?

Sort of. It will keep some guys in college (the one's that aren't sure if they'll even be drafted), but for guys that know they are going to play, it won't do much. The point is that the sooner they get in the league, the sooner they start the clock on the scale. Plus, $500k is still a ton of money for most of the kids that come out.

swardboy
11/6/2012, 01:14 PM
Unfortunately for the sure-fire #1's the new player deal limits it to mid-$20 mill range (wasn't Cam Newton's deal about $24 million?). Wait, I'm feeling sorry for them?

8timechamps
11/6/2012, 01:17 PM
Unfortunately for the sure-fire #1's the new player deal limits it to mid-$20 mill range (wasn't Cam Newton's deal about $24 million?). Wait, I'm feeling sorry for them?

Yeah, there is a different set of guidlines for the first round players. I've read and reread the CBA, and I still don't fully understand the rookie deal. It was intended to keep rookies from making more than proven veterans, and had a small side-effect on players coming out early. Some have speculated that agents have already figured out ways around it, and ways to keep the big money coming in.

Poor Cam. To me, it's sad that he's getting $24 million to play football. But, to him, he probably feels like he got burned, since his contract was around half of Sam's.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2012, 01:23 PM
The rookie scale may affect the financial factors, but it doesn't change the risk of getting injured while playing for "free".

badger
11/6/2012, 01:31 PM
The rookie scale also had a positive for the players union, IMHO: The top rookie deals are 100 percent guaranteed. No matter how much Carolina loses, Cam gets every penny that he signed for!

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2012, 01:37 PM
Back to predicting players - it's hard to do because who knows what is going on inside those young skulls.

As far as who is most NFL ready IMO, is this order:
1) Jefferson
2) Millard
3) Stills
4) Colvin

I don't think Stills or Colvin should go. I hope none of them go.

Curly Bill
11/6/2012, 01:38 PM
Back to predicting players - it's hard to do because who knows what is going on inside those young skulls.

As far as who is most NFL ready IMO, is this order:
1) Jefferson
2) Millard
3) Stills
4) Colvin

I don't think Stills or Colvin should go. I hope none of them go.

No way! Its:
1. Jefferson
2. Colvin
3. Millard
4. Stills

Curly Bill
11/6/2012, 01:39 PM
Jefferson would be a damn fool to come back. How much better can he get, and yeah I know they can all improve. He needs to start getting paid!

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2012, 01:55 PM
No way! Its:
1. Jefferson
2. Colvin
3. Millard
4. Stills

I can see Colvin having more upside but he wasted a year at safety and the ND game showed he could still learn a thing or 2. I'm not sure Stills will get a lot better, but he looks pretty good now that we're not trying to play him as the inside receiver.

rock on sooner
11/6/2012, 02:18 PM
Of those four, only Jefferson would be a first day pick. If he stays
and continues to be a stud or even get a little better, he'd be a first
rounder.

SoonerorLater
11/6/2012, 03:07 PM
If i'm Jeffereson I'm gone. He really doesn't have much to gain and a lot to lose. Colvin and Stills would be 4 to 7 round picks. They have some work to do IMO. Millard is different. He probably won't improve his draft situation unless there is some hoopla created around him next season. I think he is ready but weather to go is a close call.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2012, 03:17 PM
I think the NFL teams would be drooling over a stud like Millard. Many NFL teams really use guys that are big, can block and can catch a pass from either the FB or TE positions. The fact that he can run doesn't hurt either.

8timechamps
11/6/2012, 10:59 PM
The rookie scale also had a positive for the players union, IMHO: The top rookie deals are 100 percent guaranteed. No matter how much Carolina loses, Cam gets every penny that he signed for!

True, but the NFLPA didn't care about the rookie guarantee. They wanted to make sure that proven veterans weren't getting paid less than unproven rookies. You're right, as long as a player actually plays, then they get 4 years guaranteed. That's a nice benefit for those guys.

Curly Bill
11/7/2012, 08:42 AM
Millard would be very attractive to teams that use an H-back. That being said, none of em are going to use a high draft pick on that position, but I think Millard could have a long and well compensated career.

BoulderSooner79
11/7/2012, 09:40 AM
Millard would be very attractive to teams that use an H-back. That being said, none of em are going to use a high draft pick on that position, but I think Millard could have a long and well compensated career.

Agreed. My only claim is that Millard is NFL ready, but teams don't seem to use high draft picks for his position. But that won't change next year either, so I hope he is having fun in college.

8timechamps
11/7/2012, 02:36 PM

Agreed. Millard is a bit of an enigma for the NFL, he's the ideal runner, but isn't going to be a halfback. Whichever team ends up with him will end up with an excellent player.

SOFSooner
11/7/2012, 08:43 PM
I worked with Tony Jefferson's uncle while deployed to the Horn of Africa, I don't know how often he talked with him but he told me that he is looking really hard at committing to the NFL draft after his Jr year. But again it is only hearsay in my book, so take it for what it is worth.

8timechamps
11/7/2012, 11:24 PM
I worked with Tony Jefferson's uncle while deployed to the Horn of Africa, I don't know how often he talked with him but he told me that he is looking really hard at committing to the NFL draft after his Jr year. But again it is only hearsay in my book, so take it for what it is worth.

Not surprised. He's ready. I would hate to see him go, but love seeing OU kids make it to the NFL.

htownsooner7
11/8/2012, 10:47 AM
Agreed. Millard is a bit of an enigma for the NFL, he's the ideal runner, but isn't going to be a halfback. Whichever team ends up with him will end up with an excellent player.

He would be a perfect fit for the Texans. We use a hybrid TE/FB a ton and they actually get the ball a lot.

OU_Sooners75
11/8/2012, 10:58 AM
The rookie scale may affect the financial factors, but it doesn't change the risk of getting injured while playing for "free".

College players aren't paying for free unless you are playing in D3.

BoulderSooner79
11/8/2012, 11:24 AM
College players aren't paying for free unless you are playing in D3.

That's why I put "free" in quotes. I just mean for far less than what a pro contract pays. And many D1 players that aspire to be pros don't put much value on the education aspect of their college career because they don't get marketable degrees or even get the diploma.

EatLeadCommie
11/8/2012, 02:20 PM
Jefferson may be a top 10 pick.

JLEW1818
11/8/2012, 04:24 PM
Of those four, only Jefferson would be a first day pick. If he stays
and continues to be a stud or even get a little better, he'd be a first
rounder.

1st round is on the first day only. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
11/8/2012, 04:31 PM
I think Jefferson is a guy who could receive a 1st round grade and get picked in the 2nd round in this draft..

rock on sooner
11/8/2012, 04:54 PM
1st round is on the first day only. ;)
Hmmm, okay, I thought it was first and second on the first day and 3 thru 7
on the second...

stoops the eternal pimp
11/8/2012, 05:04 PM
Changed a couple of years back

SoonerNomad
11/8/2012, 06:22 PM
I don't think any of them are ready to go. Tony Jefferson is a good college player, but he is not a sure first or second round draft choice. Maybe he'll hear differently from the scouts, but I don't see it. I am glad we have him and I hope he stays for another year, but for those saying he has nothing left to prove I disagree. The others on your list are even less likely to be sure fire pros than Jefferson.

Stay and play another year and get better. That's what I would do. (It might explain why I was in undergrad for nine years, but that's a different issue).

Since71ASooner4Life
11/8/2012, 08:34 PM
I'm not so sure Kenny Stills is an NFL player period. He's made some really nice plays, but in my book he hasn't made enough great plays to offset the number of drops he's had.

DrZaius
11/8/2012, 09:49 PM

Good point. But still it is a lot of money and never forget that a lot of players situations at home can be bleak financially. I always hope everyone stays their full 4 or 5 years but even I like getting the bling and my ratio bling is pathetic.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/13/2012, 05:03 PM
So, who's leaving for the NFL after this season?

Juniors on the NFL radar:

Kenny Stills
Trey Millard
Tony Jefferson
Aaron Colvin

Of the four, I think Jefferson and Colvin are probably the most read for the move. I think Millard is physically ready, but you don't see a lot of fullbacks taken early, so he may want to stick around another year (I'm not convinced he'll play FB at the next level). I don't think Kenny is ready for the move, but he may think otherwise.

Did I leave any underclassmen off the list?

Kenny Stills- pre workouts, 4th-5th round
Trey Millard-pre workouts, 4th-5th
Tony Jefferson- late 1st
Aaron Colvin- I have no idea..wouldn't be good for him to come out this draft..lots of good corners in this draft.

There was a lot of scouts at the iowa state game, mostly looking in on the defensive backfield..Lots of love for jefferson with the only complaints being he leaves his feet way to much to make a tackle instead of wrapping up..But they love his ability to cover a lot of field in a short time.

Salt City Sooner
11/13/2012, 05:33 PM
Would love to see TJ fall to Cincy w/ that Palmer pick in the early 2nd; we SOO need a safety to get Mays outta there. It's not a huge stretch, but I'd also be a little surprised if it happens.

OkieThunderLion
11/14/2012, 04:04 PM
Problem is the NFL Draft is still heavily measurables driven.

Kenny Stills 4.3 40
Tony Jefferson 4.65

I hope everybody gets good advice.

OkieThunderLion
11/14/2012, 04:05 PM
Tony Jefferson- late 1st
Aaron Colvin- I have no idea..wouldn't be good for him to come out this draft..lots of good corners in this draft.

No sense even discussing Millard.

Stills - 2
Colvin - 2
Jefferson - 4

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2012, 04:09 PM
Right now, Colvin might receive a 2nd round grade but still be hanging around in the 4th-5th because there is a lot of similar corners out there...

And i would love to see Kenny stills run a 4.3

OkieThunderLion
11/14/2012, 04:15 PM
Right now, Colvin might receive a 2nd round grade but still be hanging around in the 4th-5th because there is a lot of similar corners out there...

His on-campus times last winter were better than everyone not named Peterson and Bassey, in the Stoops era. Including; M Bradley, B Jones, Clayton, Murray, all guys who ran high 4.3s/low 4.4s at the NFL combine. Perkins too, pre knee injury.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2012, 05:13 PM
His on-campus times last winter were better than everyone not named Peterson and Bassey, in the Stoops era. Including; M Bradley, B Jones, Clayton, Murray, all guys who ran high 4.3s/low 4.4s at the NFL combine. Perkins too, pre knee injury.

I think the problem he will encounter draft position wise will be similar to DeMarco..Good 40 but the guys watching film will go "Where is it?"...Who knows? He could sneak up to 2 but he would have to jump several others that are pretty good athletes with game film to show...

stoops the eternal pimp
11/14/2012, 05:17 PM
I currently have 7 WRs with first round grades..So maybe 2nd/3rd is more accurate.

8timechamps
11/14/2012, 07:07 PM
Tony Jefferson- late 1st

There was a lot of scouts at the iowa state game, mostly looking in on the defensive backfield..Lots of love for jefferson with the only complaints being he leaves his feet way to much to make a tackle instead of wrapping up..But they love his ability to cover a lot of field in a short time.

I always appreciate your insight on these kinds of things. So, let me ask you about a couple of guys that are definitely coming out:

Demontre Hurst & Justin Brown

Thoughts? I feel like Demontre is a 4/5 round guy (and possibly undrafted), while JB could be a late 2 early 3. I think JB could excel at the next level.

soonergirlNeugene
11/14/2012, 07:25 PM
I'm just glad this one wasn't another thread about ppl leaving before the end of the 4th quarter.

Collier11
11/14/2012, 07:41 PM

True but the guy never misses tackles, so he could just go from good to great in that aspect...right?

StoopTroup
11/15/2012, 12:55 AM

If someone put together a good highlight reel for him for just this year...I think it would have people thinking about him earlier but it all depends on the need for corners next Season and how Teams Depth are looking. I know I'm partial but I think he's really saved our bacon a lot this year.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/15/2012, 09:39 AM
I'm interested to see Hurst actual height...I would say you are right on with Hurst...

Justin Brown...He could climb into a middle of the board status, but there is a lot of quality WRs in this draft...right now, there is still murmuring of inconsistent hands from him..That has gone back to his PSU days..

stoops the eternal pimp
11/15/2012, 09:42 AM
If someone put together a good highlight reel for him for just this year...I think it would have people thinking about him earlier but it all depends on the need for corners next Season and how Teams Depth are looking. I know I'm partial but I think he's really saved our bacon a lot this year.

He is still rough in technique as a corner and the guys I have talked to said he needs another year...Notre Dame game really displayed that and had some coverage issues in some other games were the WRs luckily just dropped the ball..Great athlete, will be a tremendous corner..

The problem with him leaving now at that position since it is mostly technique issues is that at that position, there isn't a lot of time from coaches to teach that...

stoops the eternal pimp
11/15/2012, 09:43 AM
True but the guy never misses tackles, so he could just go from good to great in that aspect...right?

Right..I mean, it was the only issue, and it's a minor one..That's just not a technique you can do in the NFL but that can easily be fixed...They just want more film of him wrapping up.

8timechamps
11/15/2012, 02:36 PM
I'm interested to see Hurst actual height...I would say you are right on with Hurst...

Justin Brown...He could climb into a middle of the board status, but there is a lot of quality WRs in this draft...right now, there is still murmuring of inconsistent hands from him..That has gone back to his PSU days..

Out of the two (Hurst & Colvin), I thought Hurst was going to end up the better CB. As it turns out, Colvin looks to be the better of the two. I too felt like Colvin needed another year, but I didn't know if that was just me really wanting him to stay another year, or if it was substantiated. It'll be interesting to see what he does.

StoopTroup
11/15/2012, 03:11 PM
He is still rough in technique as a corner and the guys I have talked to said he needs another year...Notre Dame game really displayed that and had some coverage issues in some other games were the WRs luckily just dropped the ball..Great athlete, will be a tremendous corner..

The problem with him leaving now at that position since it is mostly technique issues is that at that position, there isn't a lot of time from coaches to teach that...

I understand. I hope whatever happens is what's best for him as he really seems to be one of the guys that plays with heart out there.

Collier11
11/15/2012, 10:29 PM
Right..I mean, it was the only issue, and it's a minor one..That's just not a technique you can do in the NFL but that can easily be fixed...They just want more film of him wrapping up.

read an article today about Jeffersons adjustment since Mike came back, he has gone from 5.7 to 8.8 tackles per game

stoops the eternal pimp
11/16/2012, 11:10 AM
He is the player that I said would benefit the most from Mike's return... Not surprised to see increased production.

I typically I lean towards the leave early side on a lot of players, but Colvin, because of the position he plays, really could benefit from the extra year.

PrideMom
11/16/2012, 11:15 AM
Kenny Stills will probably go, but he really needs to stay and learn to finish his routes........

starclassic tama
11/16/2012, 11:22 AM
not to mention colvin could use some bulk. i doubt he is 175 soaking wet

Curly Bill
11/16/2012, 01:44 PM
Stills should stay and learn to pick his feet up when he runs. He trips over the yardlines too often.

OkieThunderLion
11/17/2012, 11:17 PM
Out of the two (Hurst & Colvin), I thought Hurst was going to end up the better CB. As it turns out, Colvin looks to be the better of the two. I too felt like Colvin needed another year, but I didn't know if that was just me really wanting him to stay another year, or if it was substantiated. It'll be interesting to see what he does.

I don't think Hurst is a next level prospect. Would be surprised if he's drafted.

OkieThunderLion
11/17/2012, 11:18 PM
Tony Jefferson just doesn't have the speed to warrant a high selection.

I do think he can play at the next level. But I still see him as a 4th rounder.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/17/2012, 11:35 PM
I don't think Hurst is a next level prospect. Would be surprised if he's drafted.

There are 4-5 Hursts playing any given Sunday so he could stick somewhere. The reason being is that he is solid fundamentally but just doesn't have any instincts. Those guys tend to be favored because coaches can trust them to be in the right position every time. It also doesn't hurt him that for some reason cornerbacks are more injury prone than any other position around.

8timechamps
12/18/2012, 09:12 PM
Tony Jefferson and Aaron Colvin have submitted papers to be evaluated for the upcoming NFL draft. Jefferson said if he is projected in the first round, he will enter this year's draft. Colvin, at this point, just wants to know where he stands.

Stills and Millard have not submitted papers, but that doesn't mean they won't.

PLaw
12/18/2012, 09:41 PM
Seriously, I think they should all stay.

BOOMER

rdusooner
12/19/2012, 09:01 AM
I hope they all stay, but I say that only because I am completely and totally selfish

badger
12/19/2012, 09:11 AM
More on Tony Jefferson here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Is_OU_safety_Tony_Jefferson_stayin g_or_going_His_answer_as_of_tonight/12-18225)

The experts can disagree, but that lockout year was absolutely the wrong year for not-high draft picks to come out early. I think one of our fifth rounders that year was cut, when any other year, he'd be a shoo-in for the roster. I don't recall who it was.

Other than that, if you're good, you're golden, even if you're not a high pick. Stoops' former argument, pre-slotted rookie scale, was that if you don't wait till you're a first rounder, you're leaving a lot of money on the table --- Sammie's guaranteed $50 million, for example.

Now, if you know you're going to get drafted, it seems to be the best decision to get in the NFL and make your money asap and not risk injury, off-field issues or declining stock value.

Thoughts?

Ruf/Nek7
12/19/2012, 09:19 AM
Jefferson is for sure ready and should go. I hate saying that but the young man is a great talent and deserves the next level. With that being said, I don't think Colvin, Millard, or Stills should go. Of those guys, Millard is best prepared for next level but his position should keep him in college one last year. As for Colvin and Stills, i think of a couple of guys that had great careers at OU that just never panned out in the NFL and those two are Reggie Smith and Jaquin Iglesias. To me, stills-iglesias & Colvin-Smith are very similar and could suffer the same fate if they went too early. This though, will not matter as this is the last thing these young men think about.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/19/2012, 09:30 AM
Tony Jefferson and Aaron Colvin have submitted papers to be evaluated for the upcoming NFL draft. Jefferson said if he is projected in the first round, he will enter this year's draft. Colvin, at this point, just wants to know where he stands.

Stills and Millard have not submitted papers, but that doesn't mean they won't.

The problem is that even if Jefferson receives a first round grade, There is going to be about 20 DEs/DTs receive a first round grade..Dline is going to be hot again this year, so it's possible he gets pushed down further than he wants.

badger
12/19/2012, 09:39 AM
The problem is that even if Jefferson receives a first round grade, There is going to be about 20 DEs/DTs receive a first round grade..Dline is going to be hot again this year, so it's possible he gets pushed down further than he wants.

is this another "defense wins champions" draft, a la the year after the Ravens won it all (2000, I think)?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/19/2012, 09:40 AM
What will hurt Jefferson is speed on film, not in the running game as far as closing, but in the pass game...The leaving his feet is correctable stuff and won't matter.

Colvin needs to stay IMO, because he could move himself up with another year of learning the position..and putting on some weight.

Stills is kind of a jack of all trade, master of none type player..I agree with the iglesias bit but Iglesias couldn't play a physical game at all..I remember he scorched through the Bears rookie camp and everyone thought he was a steal for them..I told one of their scouts to wait til they get the team in..He won't be able to get open against a NFL corner..and that pretty much happened.

I have Stills as a 3rd round pick right now..I don't know that he can improve on that and i don't know where he is degree wise....either way is going to be about the same for him.

MI Sooner
12/19/2012, 09:44 AM
I don't see how Millard's stock can get any higher unless he switches positions or we get him the ball a lot more, neither of which are likely to happen.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/19/2012, 09:45 AM
is this another "defense wins champions" draft, a la the year after the Ravens won it all (2000, I think)?

A lot of teams with needs that need to be addressed on D..quickly..A lot.

I am going through my scribbled up mock for myself and i'm in the middle of the 2nd still seeing guys who will probably get 1st round grades.

OkieThunderLion
12/19/2012, 10:00 AM
As for Colvin and Stills, i think of a couple of guys that had great careers at OU that just never panned out in the NFL and those two are Reggie Smith and Jaquin Iglesias. To me, stills-iglesias & Colvin-Smith are very similar and could suffer the same fate if they went too early.
I thought Reggie would be a NFL starter. I didn't think Iglesias would ever play in the league.

Difference with Colvin and Stills is their 40-times. Both can fly! Reggie was 4.6 and Iglesias 4.5.

Ruf/Nek7
12/19/2012, 10:00 AM
This is a very defensive heavy draft. The only reason being that the QBs at the beginning of the year (LJ, Barkley) fizzled out and do not garnish the same attention they got in the beginning. John Gruden's qb confidential will be mediocre this year.

8timechamps
12/19/2012, 02:08 PM

Good point. Also, who is going to be in the market for a safety in the first round (and it would have to be a team that wanted to go safety as their first overall pick). I know Kiper had TJ as a first rounder (not sure if he still does), but looking at the projected draft order, and team needs, I'm with you...I think TJ would fall to the second round.

badger
12/19/2012, 02:45 PM
Also, who is going to be in the market for a safety in the first round

When Randy Moss blew up secondaries in the league initially, the Packers used their first three draft picks the next year on corners. I'd say that if anyone was in the market for a first round safety, it would be someone going against a top receiving threat.

NFC East teams: Larry Fitzgerald (Cards), Dez Bryant (Cowboys), whoever Eli is throwing to (Giants)
NFC North: Megatron (Lions), whoever Rodgers is throwing to (Packers)
AFC North: AJ Green (Bengals)
AFC South: Andre Johnson (Texans)
AFC East: Whoever Brady is throwing to (Patriots)

Scott D
12/19/2012, 07:28 PM
psst...Fitz is in the NFC West....for now.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/20/2012, 03:04 AM
More on Tony Jefferson here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Is_OU_safety_Tony_Jefferson_stayin g_or_going_His_answer_as_of_tonight/12-18225)

The experts can disagree, but that lockout year was absolutely the wrong year for not-high draft picks to come out early. I think one of our fifth rounders that year was cut, when any other year, he'd be a shoo-in for the roster. I don't recall who it was.

Other than that, if you're good, you're golden, even if you're not a high pick. Stoops' former argument, pre-slotted rookie scale, was that if you don't wait till you're a first rounder, you're leaving a lot of money on the table --- Sammie's guaranteed $50 million, for example.

Now, if you know you're going to get drafted, it seems to be the best decision to get in the NFL and make your money asap and not risk injury, off-field issues or declining stock value.

Thoughts?

His argument still holds for the most part, the reasoning is just different. GMs tend to give 1st round picks a LOT more slack than other picks because of the negative repercussions of that pick being a bust. Now, if you go out early, slip to the 3rd and suck you are going to be gone a lot faster than if you were a 1st rounder and sucked.

Honestly, outside of Colvin and maybe King, we don't have any guys that are prototype NFL players (King as a 3-4 offside DE). Landry not coming out last year was the best thing in the world for him as he can be drafted as a backup and carry a clipboard for 15 years.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/20/2012, 09:19 AM
I believe Lane Johnson at right tackle can be included into that...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/20/2012, 12:03 PM
I believe Lane Johnson at right tackle can be included into that...

True but we have so many OL in the league right now that people are just taking them on reputation now.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/20/2012, 12:54 PM
True but we have so many OL in the league right now that people are just taking them on reputation now.

he did solid work all season, but the ND game and his owning Jackson Jeffcoat before his injury really pushed him up the boards...

If he can find a way to convince people he can play LT, he has a chance to move into the 1st..I think there is no way he is still around in the 3rd..

Reminds a lot of people of Nate Solder who really just needed reps.

Collier11
12/20/2012, 07:15 PM
a few mock drafts out there having Johnson in the 1st

8timechamps
12/20/2012, 08:03 PM
A lot will go into the combine numbers, but I think once teams get to really evaluate Johnson, he'll end up a first rounder.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/21/2012, 09:49 AM
Its all about position for him. More than combine numbers...If someone drafts him to play LT, he is a 1st rounder..A few teams think he can...But if it's to play RT, probably a little later.

Boomer.....
12/21/2012, 10:00 AM
Not sure how accurate, but:

Tony Jefferson to Enter 2013 NFL Draft
Published Dec. 20, 2012
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Sources have told WalterFootball.com that Oklahoma junior safety Tony Jefferson is planning on skipping his senior season and entering the 2013 NFL Draft. Jefferson enjoyed a strong 2012 regular season that saw him lead the Sooners in tackles. He was named a Second-Team All American and a First-Team All-Big XII Conference selection. The consensus view has Jefferson as a second-day pick next April.

Entering his bowl matchup with Texas A&M, Jefferson has 113 tackles, two interceptions and three passes broken up this year. He was one of the few Sooners who came to play against Kansas State. Jefferson had 14 tackles with a tackle for a loss versus the Wildcats. The junior was excellent at making tackles on perimeter runs at the line of scrimmage even though he was lining up 10 yards off the ball.

Jefferson had excellent games to lead the Sooners' defense against Notre Dame and Iowa State. He performed well versus other teams, including UTEP and Texas Tech.

Jefferson has been a play-maker and leader of the Sooners' defense since he arrived in Norman. He was the Big XII Freshman of the Year in 2010. Jefferson started nine games and recorded 65 tackles with seven tackles for a loss, two sacks, two interceptions and seven passes broken up. He was even better in 2011 when he had 74 tackles with four interceptions, 4.5 sacks, 7.5 tackles for a loss, three passes broken up and one forced fumble.

The 5-foot-10, 212-pound Jefferson is an excellent pass-defender who covers a lot of ground in the deep part of the field. He does a good job of picking up receivers running deep and has the athletic ability to play man coverage on tight ends. Jefferson was very good in run support as a junior. The athletic and instinctive safety has a high ceiling for the NFL.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

stoops the eternal pimp
12/21/2012, 12:50 PM
I saw Dean Blevins sent out a tweet saying a couple of guys are leaving early because "workout methods led to costly injuries" to others at OU...interesting.

Mjcpr
12/21/2012, 12:54 PM
I saw Dean Blevins sent out a tweet saying a couple of guys are leaving early because "workout methods led to costly injuries" to others at OU...interesting.

We've heard this kind of thing for years about Jerry Schmidt. Is there some truth to it?

badger
12/21/2012, 12:55 PM

Back before Stoops disallowed random callers into his weekly show, one bravely dared to ask whether the injuries that top pros Adrian Peterson, Demarco Murray and Sam Bradford had anything to do with OU's strength and conditioning.

Stoops was pissed but answered anyway, saying that football is a tough game and that those three are making a lot of money in NFL, partially from their strength and conditioning at OU.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/21/2012, 01:00 PM
I should correct myself..It's a solid source that dean is reporting said that..The tweet

Solid source tells me pair of Sooners "prolly coming out b/c they say workout methods led to costly injuries " to others who stayed.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/21/2012, 01:02 PM
We've heard this kind of thing for years about Jerry Schmidt. Is there some truth to it?

pm sent.

OkieThunderLion
12/21/2012, 02:53 PM
From my experience, a few players have used Schmidt as a scapegoat for their failures. Others have given him total credit.

8timechamps
12/21/2012, 05:38 PM
Injuries happen everywhere. What I question is the amount of knee injuries suffered during practice. Not sure there is a way to safeguard against that.

Boomer.....
12/21/2012, 06:25 PM
Unfortunately injuries are just a part of the game. Teams have to be very lucky to avoid multiple significant injuries. When teams go light in practice and don't hit, tackling suffers in games which is evident throughout football.

Scott D
12/21/2012, 06:26 PM
Unfortunately injuries are just a part of the game. Teams have to be very lucky to avoid multiple significant injuries. When teams go light in practice and don't hit, tackling suffers in games which is evident throughout football.

improper training can lead to weakened ligaments and tendons in certain joints.

Collier11
12/21/2012, 08:30 PM
Maybe I am Naive but Schmidt has worked for Stoops for a long time, despite certain rumors Stoops continues to employ him and players continue to come here. If there was an issue I would hope it wouldve been addressed and fixed. Didnt Malcolm Kelly come out later and apologize and say he was not fair about his criticism of Schmidt?

cvsooner
12/21/2012, 09:11 PM
Maybe I am Naive but Schmidt has worked for Stoops for a long time, despite certain rumors Stoops continues to employ him and players continue to come here. If there was an issue I would hope it wouldve been addressed and fixed. Didnt Malcolm Kelly come out later and apologize and say he was not fair about his criticism of Schmidt?

Kinda. He was mad at Schmidt for changing the running field surface. Smitty said the pro scouts asked him to make the change.

http://newsok.com/article/3228732/1207953381

cvsooner
12/21/2012, 09:13 PM
More here:

http://newsok.com/article/3227938/1207806428

Pro scouts were not impressed with Kelly's attitude is the way I remember the whole thing.

picasso
12/21/2012, 09:30 PM
Kelly royally effed up when he didn't return for the '08 season. He could have padded up some serious stats.

Soonerfan88
12/21/2012, 10:59 PM
Kelly was smart to leave when he did. He knew his knees/legs weren't going to take much more so took what money he could get. I don't blame him for leaving and don't hold grudges for what he said during a frustrating time.

blacktop
12/22/2012, 12:01 AM
I get that Tony Jefferson is our leading tackler & garnered All-American & Big 12 honors but I don't think he is ready for the NFL. The last 4 games of this season showed me a Tony J. that needs another year of fundamentals. His coverage & especially his tackling was NOT at an All-American & Big 12 level. I just wasn't impressed. Am I the only one who saw it?

Collier11
12/22/2012, 12:26 AM
its not about if he is ready, it is about if his stock will get any higher...Ask STEP, im sure he would tell you the same

BoulderSooner79
12/22/2012, 01:36 AM
I get that Tony Jefferson is our leading tackler & garnered All-American & Big 12 honors but I don't think he is ready for the NFL. The last 4 games of this season showed me a Tony J. that needs another year of fundamentals. His coverage & especially his tackling was NOT at an All-American & Big 12 level. I just wasn't impressed. Am I the only one who saw it?

TJ could stay 20 more years and he wouldn't be able to tackle that Austin kid in space - nor could anyone else. Bottom line is our secondary was being asked to do too much - especially TJ. He was trying to help cover the deep receiver and be our main LB at the same time. And all our DBs were playing man coverage most the time which takes more energy than zone, and the tired legs showed late in the game. I don't think the NFL guys will give a rats azz about how that worked out as long as TJ does well in the combines.

starclassic tama
12/22/2012, 02:36 PM
Jefferson has had a great year and I don't think his stock can improve much. to my untrained eyes (and someone like STEP or jkm should correct me if I'm wrong) Jefferson has more responsibility than any player on OUs defense has had in awhile. when you are all over the field like that playing against those offenses you are bound to get exposed a little

CatfishSooner
12/22/2012, 06:08 PM
A player on last years team that I am friends with told me Schmitty is too hard on the players (which leads to some of the injuries), especially the O-linemen .... I don't know if that's true or not.

picasso
12/22/2012, 09:34 PM
Kelly was smart to leave when he did. He knew his knees/legs weren't going to take much more so took what money he could get. I don't blame him for leaving and don't hold grudges for what he said during a frustrating time.
That's an odd way of looking at it. Had he stayed he would have possibly been on a national championship team. Which possibly could hold more water in his future endeavors than the measly contract he signed. I don't hold any grudges on players leaving early. Just an observation.

8timechamps
12/22/2012, 11:59 PM

I think some weakness was exposed with the entire defense toward the end of the season. However, given that TJ is going to play in the NFL, the question is when? IF he is projected to be a first rounder, he'd have to be a little goofy not to go. Rarely do I think a kid should return to college if they are a lock for the first round. Landry was an exception. The way he ended last year brought up a lot of questions. I actually think LJ is better for having stayed his senior year.

Stoops has openly told the press that if one of his guys can be first round guys, he almost always encourages them to go that way. He says first round money is "buy your mom a house, and set yourself up for life" kind of money, and any round after is "buy a car and a house, then have 50 more years I have to live on what I made" money. Stoops says in all of those cases, coming back as a senior and finishing your degree is absolutely the smartest decision.

Collier11
12/23/2012, 06:03 PM
Our secondary played great all year, our LBers and DL at times left them to do it all though. There is a reason that TJ got 2nd team AA