PDA

View Full Version : OU/Baylor 1999: Holy Mackerel

cleller
11/5/2012, 09:31 AM
Ran across these highlights at Youtube.

Talk about reckless abandon, that OU team was riding a wave 50 feet high.

HWy67SwhmPM

PrideMom
11/5/2012, 09:43 AM
In the year 2000, OU was up 50 points at the half, and Heupel did not play in the second half at Baylor. Baylor has improved considerably since then..... still they have no defense, but they will score this Saturday. And finally, a 2:30 PM game time!!

Tear Down This Wall
11/5/2012, 09:55 AM
Baylor sucks. Oklahoma and Baylor should never have been in the same conference.

kevpks
11/5/2012, 10:46 AM
I remember that game. Torrance Marshall in beast mode.

King Crimson
11/5/2012, 11:11 AM
i sorta miss the thin double stripe on the pants. flat enamel crimson helmet.

Widescreen
11/5/2012, 11:17 AM
In the year 2000, OU was up 50 points at the half, and Heupel did not play in the second half at Baylor.

That was also the game where Heupel jacked up his elbow. That, as much as the lead, was why he didn't play in the 2nd half. He was never the same after that (at least in terms of having any zip on his throws).

Soonerjeepman
11/5/2012, 11:52 AM
wow...stoopsie's visor bill is huge...LOL...OU not use to visors...

but yes they are on fire on D...

cleller
11/5/2012, 03:19 PM
They are on fire on both sides of the ball, but the D is just slamming every play, it seems.

Of course this is a highlight reel, but their attitude comes thru loud and clear. Its like they resent the opposing offense being on the field with them.

C&CDean
11/5/2012, 03:24 PM
Before y'all get all wound up, this is ****ing Baylor we're talking about. It ain't like we were playing Jenks or Union.

C&CDean
11/5/2012, 03:25 PM
This was your fathers' Baylor even.

8timechamps
11/5/2012, 03:25 PM
Does anyone remember the OT game against Baylor in the 90's? We were not good, and it took OT to beat Baylor at home. One of our DBs started crying in an interview afterward. THAT'S how bad it was during that era.

SicEmBaylor
11/5/2012, 03:34 PM
Kevin Steele should have gone to the 50 yard line after the UNLV game and committed ritualistic seppuku.

Aries
11/5/2012, 03:38 PM
Does anyone remember the OT game against Baylor in the 90's? We were not good, and it took OT to beat Baylor at home. One of our DBs started crying in an interview afterward. THAT'S how bad it was during that era.

I was at that game. It doesn't seem like nearly that long ago....

LASooner
11/5/2012, 04:23 PM
Before y'all get all wound up, this is ****ing Baylor we're talking about. It ain't like we were playing Jenks or Union.

I think the point is, when was the last time you saw OU play with that level of fire against a Baylor or anyone not named Texas? That's what I miss about those early Stoops teams, they played with emotion.

cvsooner
11/5/2012, 04:51 PM
And Baylor 1974 was one tough cookie. Man. I didn't think we were gonna get a win. It was 28-11 and it was really close until the final minutes. Baylor went on to win the SWC and go to the Cotton Bowl, I think. We won Switzer's first national title that year. He caught all kinds of grief about struggling against Baylor...his rather curt reply was "these guys are really good." Baylor's coach...Guy Morris, I think his name was...man, he could coach.

cvsooner
11/5/2012, 04:52 PM
I think the point is, when was the last time you saw OU play with that level of fire against a Baylor or anyone not named Texas? That's what I miss about those early Stoops teams, they played with emotion.
Uh, against Tech just a couple weeks ago? Florida State last year?

8timechamps
11/5/2012, 07:53 PM
I was at that game. It doesn't seem like nearly that long ago....

That's because the game I was thinking about didn't go into OT. You were probably at the 2005 game. The one I was thinking about was in 1997, and it ended 24-23 (I think we intercepted a pass in the endzone to end the game). I don't know why I was thinking it went into OT.

cleller
11/5/2012, 10:23 PM

Exactly. Fire and emotion, plus a high degree of talent and concentration. This was just the second game these guys had played under Stoops.

bluedogok
11/5/2012, 10:24 PM
And Baylor 1974 was one tough cookie. Man. I didn't think we were gonna get a win. It was 28-11 and it was really close until the final minutes. Baylor went on to win the SWC and go to the Cotton Bowl, I think. We won Switzer's first national title that year. He caught all kinds of grief about struggling against Baylor...his rather curt reply was "these guys are really good." Baylor's coach...Guy Morris, I think his name was...man, he could coach.

Guy Morris was the Baylor coach before Briles, he was a player at TCU in the early 70's. Grant Teaff was the long time Baylor coach (72-92) who won two SWC championships.

engineer24
11/5/2012, 10:59 PM
In the year 2000, OU was up 50 points at the half, and Heupel did not play in the second half at Baylor. Baylor has improved considerably since then..... still they have no defense, but they will score this Saturday. And finally, a 2:30 PM game time!!

I was at that game.... In the 2nd half Baylor got a pick 6 off the backup OU QB (Nate Hybl?) The whole Baylor stadium erupted! LMAO

LostCreekSooner
11/6/2012, 09:29 AM
wow...stoopsie's visor bill is huge...LOL...OU not use to visors...

Hahaha on the visor!

Roy Williams horse-collar at the very end. :)

OkieThunderLion
11/6/2012, 09:54 AM

2005 was the OT win over Baylor.

Had 3 close wins over them during Blake era, but none in OT.

OkieThunderLion
11/6/2012, 09:55 AM
Roy Williams horse-collar at the very end. :)
That was his go-to move.

OkieThunderLion
11/6/2012, 09:57 AM
Defense was so much more fun before all offensive coaches switched to the spread!

OU created that monster, at least in the Big 12.

8timechamps
11/6/2012, 01:06 PM
2005 was the OT win over Baylor.

Had 3 close wins over them during Blake era, but none in OT.

Maybe you didn't read down the post, I realized at some point that the game I was thinking about was in 1997. It took an interception in the endzone, in the closing seconds to secure the win. That Sooner team went 4-8. Sad times.

Tear Down This Wall
11/6/2012, 01:30 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=252950201

2005...not just overtime...double overtime. AD out, Jacob Gutierrez running wild for 173 and a pair of scores.

LASooner
11/6/2012, 05:05 PM
Uh, against Tech just a couple weeks ago? Florida State last year?

I'm sorry, this is just not the case. The fire you see in that 99 video is not evident in either of the 2 games you mentioned. They played hard in those games, but the emotion is just not there in this team and it's probably a reflection of what you see in Stoops now as opposed to then.

AzianSooner
11/6/2012, 11:11 PM
Defense then was way better than now in all area

soonerboy_odanorth
11/7/2012, 09:34 AM
Man, those guyse were like a bunch of Mexican jumping beans the way they were bouncing around every play. I forgot what that looked like. Those guys were so excited, not just to be winning, but to be kicking someone's *** up and down the field like they had been kicked in the years previous.

FWIW, I do think we have seen it just once this year... Big D. They were pretty firey that day. Sure would be nice to see us get some of that back. Maybe if we had more success against ND we would have seen it then. But in retrospect they seemed a little clinched up vs. ND as opposed to loose and fired up.