PDA

View Full Version : Be careful what you wish/vote for

landrun
11/5/2012, 01:24 AM
If Obama wins (and there is a good chance he will - if not, the majority of polling firms can no longer be trusted) and the voters in Virginia, Ohio, or Pennsylvania vote their state blue, they have no reason to complain when they find themselves getting unemployment checks and food stamps - and then finally on wellfare when their ue checks expire. Obama has never been your friend. And if you get duped twice, it is your own fault.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/november-surprise-epa-planning-major-post-election-anti-coal-regulation/article/2512538#.UJbkMoW1-AI

SanJoaquinSooner
11/5/2012, 01:39 AM
The majority of polling firms have the race within the margin of error - too close to call with 95% confidence. So the trust factor shouldn't come into play - unless someone wins with a large margin.

hawaii 5-0
11/5/2012, 01:57 AM
I thought the Poles picked Obama to get enough electoral votes with a 75% chance to win it.

We'll see tho. Way too close.

As far as the scare tactics, we've all heard it, as well as Hope & Change v2.0 from Romney's promises.

5-0

StoopTroup
11/5/2012, 12:16 PM
I thought the Poles picked Obama to get enough electoral votes with a 75% chance to win it.

We'll see tho. Way too close.

As far as the scare tactics, we've all heard it, as well as Hope & Change v2.0 from Romney's promises.

5-0

You taking a week off after today or gonna hang around no matter what? I was thinking I didn't want to really see this forum for awhile no matter who wins or loses.

Like I've eluded for about the last four years...our Lives go on and these political ramblings from people who might not even be able to vote (You know...felons :D ), that we will all just make the necessary steps to adjust whatever we need for ourselves or our Families. Some folks seem to think President Obama has stolen America from them but I've noticed that the internet is still running and OU Games are still being played and Hawaii is still a nice place to visit and for some...a great place to grow up or live. Hawaii is even the Birth Place of one of many of our greatest Americans. :D

Enjoy your Day tomorrow and good luck to whoever you are voting for.

SicEmBaylor
11/5/2012, 01:28 PM
I wish for Gary Johnson, but I will likely vote for "abstain."

Who I wish to win and who I will vote for are two different things. I'd vote for him if I could, but thanks to byzantine Oklahoma ballot access laws I can not.

KantoSooner
11/5/2012, 01:41 PM
Second the Gary Johnson comment. We're currently limited, in this state, to voting to limit our civil liberties or our economic liberties. Kind of like choosing between being mauled by a pack of pit bulls or chewed on a by a 700 lb sow. Thanks for lack of write in candidacies Oklahoma,it's probably saved at least 3-4 hours in vote counting over the past 100 years.

Oh, and Sicem, your little teddy bears are going down this weekend. Karma's a bitch and she paid RGIII about two centuries worth last year.

jkjsooner
11/5/2012, 01:43 PM

That's one guy's analysis. He used results from the polls but none of the polling groups have made that assertion.

Funny you say to be careful what you wish for. If I had a dollar for every active or retired government employee I know who votes Republican I'd be a rich man.

My brother is a meteorologist for the national weather service in a medium sized city. He's strongly conservative bitching about government spending on this and that. I pointed out to him that we now live in a world that is radically different than the one that existed when the NWS was formed. Our forecasting is done via computer models. Our data can be shared globally. Do we really need a bunch of fairly highly paid meteorologists sitting in offices in every medium sized city?

Sure, we need the guys who take the measurements via balloons or airplanes. We need the guys who program and tweak the computer models. We will always need some regional offices. We need the researchers. None of this is done at the medium offices. I hear they use their expertise and experience to tweak what what the computer models are telling the. Okay, is that worth millions of dollars a year per office? Would the private industry consider that a bang for their buck?

And believe me plenty of conservatives have talked about privatizing the NWS...

That inquiry didn't go over well with him. I should have minded my own business and I did apologize for sayng that but I do think the points were valid even if they shouldn't have been said.

BigTip
11/5/2012, 04:12 PM

What are the German's picks?
How about the Italians?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

lol

BigTip
11/5/2012, 04:20 PM
That's one guy's analysis. He used results from the polls but none of the polling groups have made that assertion.

Funny you say to be careful what you wish for. If I had a dollar for every active or retired government employee I know who votes Republican I'd be a rich man.

My brother is a meteorologist for the national weather service in a medium sized city. He's strongly conservative bitching about government spending on this and that. I pointed out to him that we now live in a world that is radically different than the one that existed when the NWS was formed. Our forecasting is done via computer models. Our data can be shared globally. Do we really need a bunch of fairly highly paid meteorologists sitting in offices in every medium sized city?

Sure, we need the guys who take the measurements via balloons or airplanes. We need the guys who program and tweak the computer models. We will always need some regional offices. We need the researchers. None of this is done at the medium offices. I hear they use their expertise and experience to tweak what what the computer models are telling the. Okay, is that worth millions of dollars a year per office? Would the private industry consider that a bang for their buck?

And believe me plenty of conservatives have talked about privatizing the NWS...

That inquiry didn't go over well with him. I should have minded my own business and I did apologize for sayng that but I do think the points were valid even if they shouldn't have been said.

I'm not sure of your point. Were you telling him he better vote Democratic so his superfluous job will be safe even though it will continue to be a drain on the government coffers?

hawaii 5-0
11/5/2012, 04:48 PM
You taking a week off after today or gonna hang around no matter what? I was thinking I didn't want to really see this forum for awhile no matter who wins or loses.

I'm not making a prediction on this election.

I've put my 2 cents in about why I'm voting and I'll live with the results regardless of who wins.

I won't either crow or eat crow.

I will continue to bash public figures at my pleasure.

OK, time to mail in a few more ballots. I think I'm down to 10 or 12.

5-0

okie52
11/5/2012, 05:12 PM
I wish for Gary Johnson, but I will likely vote for "abstain."

Who I wish to win and who I will vote for are two different things. I'd vote for him if I could, but thanks to byzantine Oklahoma ballot access laws I can not.

Still can't get past your acceptance of Johnson's open border policy because I know you want 0 immigration, illegal or otherwise.

SicEmBaylor
11/5/2012, 05:49 PM
Still can't get past your acceptance of Johnson's open border policy because I know you want 0 immigration, illegal or otherwise.
Aye. I also oppose the libertarian position on free trade agreements.

The problem is, I'm not a true libertarian. I'm a paleoconservative, but I tend to ally with the libertarians rather than support the neoconservative wing of the Republican party. I also refuse to reward their bad behavior.

Plus, although I disagree with libertarians on a small handful of issues, I'd rather err on their side of liberty than err on the side of GOP machine.

okie52
11/5/2012, 05:54 PM
Aye. I also oppose the libertarian position on free trade agreements.

The problem is, I'm not a true libertarian. I'm a paleoconservative, but I tend to ally with the libertarians rather than support the neoconservative wing of the Republican party. I also refuse to reward their bad behavior.

Plus, although I disagree with libertarians on a small handful of issues, I'd rather err on their side of liberty than err on the side of GOP machine.

You wouldn't have those conflicts with Ron Paul...at least on immigration he and Johnson are polar opposites.

SoonerorLater
11/5/2012, 06:19 PM
I guess this is what it has come to. In this country the best people we could find are Mitt Romney and Barack Obama. Oh yeah, Gary Johnson too. Nobody can convince me our system isn't broken. It's like having to choose between liver and brussel spouts for dinner. I'll hold my nose and vote for Romney.

BigTip
11/5/2012, 11:41 PM
It's like having to choose between liver and brussel spouts for dinner. I'll hold my nose and vote for Romney.

Almost a good analogy. But I'll say it's like choosing between a dinner of liver and brussel sprouts vs drinking a glass of anti freeze. One is unpalatable but is suppose to be good for you. The other will kill you.

TAFBSooner
11/6/2012, 01:49 PM
. . . thanks to byzantine Oklahoma ballot access laws I can not.

Does anyone here want to defend Oklahoma's lack of ballot access for third parties (professional politicians excepted)?

okie52
11/6/2012, 01:51 PM
Does anyone here want to defend Oklahoma's lack of ballot access for third parties (professional politicians excepted)?

Not me but pretty sure the Pubs and dems aren't going to bust their *** to see this issue gets to the public.

LiveLaughLove
11/6/2012, 01:55 PM
Almost a good analogy. But I'll say it's like choosing between a dinner of liver and brussel sprouts vs drinking a glass of anti freeze. One is unpalatable but is suppose to be good for you. The other will kill you.

One is a big government Republican, the other will and has killed babies by the thousands.

One if those is not ideal, the other is down right evil. Makes it an easy choice for me.

SouthCarolinaSooner
11/6/2012, 02:09 PM
One is a big government Republican, the other will and has killed babies by the thousands.

One if those is not ideal, the other is down right evil. Makes it an easy choice for me.
There were about 24,000 abortions per year in Massachusetts while Romney was governor. You don't pick and choose who you label a baby killer based of their political identification, do you?

LiveLaughLove
11/6/2012, 02:16 PM
There were about 24,000 abortions per year in Massachusetts while Romney was governor. You don't pick and choose who you label a baby killer based of their political identification, do you?

I'm not voting for Mass governor. I'm voting for President, and one is pro baby killing and the other isn't.

One will pick conservative justices that will hopefully overturn that abomination. One will not.

One will stop spending our money on those killings, one will continue to do so.

Pretty easy to understand actually.

jkjsooner
11/6/2012, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure of your point. Were you telling him he better vote Democratic so his superfluous job will be safe even though it will continue to be a drain on the government coffers?

A couple of points... I'm not saying his job is superfluous. I'm saying plenty of conservatives have said so. I'm also pointing out the hypocrisy of conservative farmers and government. They love to take the government's money but turn around and complain about all the other spending the government does. It's never their job or their pet program. It's all those other programs.

LiveLaughLove
11/6/2012, 02:28 PM
A couple of points... I'm not saying his job is superfluous. I'm saying plenty of conservatives have said so. I'm also pointing out the hypocrisy of conservative farmers and government. They love to take the government's money but turn around and complain about all the other spending the government does. It's never their job or their pet program. It's all those other programs.

How about the government just quit supplying money to anyone except defense? You know, like the Constitution intended.

Then the states and local citizenry can decide what to do with all of that extra money for themselves.

Or do you mean hypocrisy like rich millionaire actors telling the rest of us we don't pay enough to help the poor while they tweet from their multi-million dollar private estates?

Or do you mean the hypocrisy of Boxer's husband making billions from the war efforts while she castigated Bush for those same wars?

Hypocrisy all around it seems to me.

jkjsooner
11/6/2012, 02:37 PM
How about the government just quit supplying money to anyone except defense? You know, like the Constitution intended.

Exactly my point to my brother. Those people he votes for do not value the work he does.

Then the states and local citizenry can decide what to do with all of that extra money for themselves.

Or do you mean hypocrisy like rich millionaire actors telling the rest of us we don't pay enough to help the poor while they tweet from their multi-million dollar private estates?

Or do you mean the hypocrisy of Boxer's husband making billions from the war efforts while she castigated Bush for those same wars?

Hypocrisy all around it seems to me.

I'm talking about people I know. I'm not picking out random hypocrites.

LiveLaughLove
11/6/2012, 02:51 PM
Exactly my point to my brother. Those people he votes for do not value the work he does.

I'm talking about people I know. I'm not picking out random hypocrites.

I'm sorry. I read

I'm also pointing out the hypocrisy of conservative farmers and government.

as being pretty general and non-specific to me. I know who Barbara Boxer is. I can name actors that want to spend my money while keeping theirs.

Your brother could get a good job as a meteorologist outside of the federal government, if there is a demand. I have no clue if that is the case, but I would think you would want to check those other options out before you settle on your degree.

Still, sounds like a good guy, and being conservative that means he isn't scared of working, so I predict he will always land on his feet.