PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever saved a sick animal of some kind

MamaMia
11/4/2012, 05:32 PM
and nursed them back to health?

Watching the movie 'Andre' reminded me of something similar that happened to me when I was in the 4th grade living in Cold Bay Alaska. I helped save a baby seal I found on the beach that had pneumonia. I had the help of a LPN Nurse and a marine biologist from Russia. :)

pphilfran
11/4/2012, 05:52 PM
A couple of baby blue jays that blew out of a nest...one lived and the other stayed through the summer and would land on your head...it would scare the **** out of you when you felt the air from it's wings...

Also a red tail hawk that was hit by a car....nothing broken and after a few days it flew off...it was never very friendly...

MamaMia
11/4/2012, 06:26 PM
A baby bird fell out of a tree at St. Patricks Catholic church right in front of us. My children were all little then. My daughter was bound and determined to save this bird. I even went to that bait shop at lake Overholser to get worms to grind up. Gross! It didn't work. I found the poor thing dead one morning a couple of hours after I got the kids off to school. Knowing that my daughter would be traumatized, I buried the deceased bird when she was at school and told her it had flown away. My son knew better, but never said a word. Still to this day she asks me if I remember that bird we saved. :O

SicEmBaylor
11/4/2012, 06:28 PM
I've always wanted a pair of real seal skin boots.

MR2-Sooner86
11/4/2012, 06:38 PM
and nursed them back to health?

No I usually eat them before that can happen.

StoopTroup
11/4/2012, 06:47 PM
The place my Wife and I worked for awhile had their servers under ground in a facility that could withstand a Nuclear Blast (supposedly). It had some large ventilation shafts. The place was surrounded by huge parking lots and that was surrounded by fields which were full of mice. It seemed to be a great place for some folks to leave an unwanted cat or it would attract strays. The cats became a huge problem as they would climb in the ventilation shafts and since they were powered....they got chopped up and made a huge mess and sometimes shut down the ventilation. It was a big problem so they bought cat traps and baited them and then would take them away to the SPCA. Some of the employees there didn't think it was nice and many of them would come out to smoke and then leave open food cans for them. The Cat Population began to rise again and they had to send out an Email and post signs not to feed the cats and why. They even had to threaten people that if they didn't follow the new policy they would be treated with disciplinary action up to and including termination of their employment.

There were mostly cats but the occasional raccoon or Possum would get caught from time to time. It's been years now and they still have to do this from what I understand. They considered just hiring a person to terminate them but folks want to really believe that that all go to a happy place once they are collected.

There is no happy place that I know of. I think it might be possible to get SicEm all the ***** he ever wanted though. No baby Seals however. :D

Mjcpr
11/4/2012, 06:56 PM
I was saved by a family of overly religious squatches in SE Oklahoma when I was 4.

SicEmBaylor
11/4/2012, 07:02 PM
I was saved by a family of overly religious squatches in SE Oklahoma when I was 4.

There's a height joke to be made in there somewhere.

rock on sooner
11/4/2012, 07:11 PM
Gotta little Yorkie that my daughter fell in love with from what
turned out to be a puppy mill. The little guy had a bone disease
that affected his left rear leg. Vet told us that most owners put
the dog down. No frickin way, vet did the surgery and Scruffy
has the run of the house, it is his world and he lets us live in it!!!!

MamaMia
11/4/2012, 07:47 PM
Gotta little Yorkie that my daughter fell in love with from what
turned out to be a puppy mill. The little guy had a bone disease
that affected his left rear leg. Vet told us that most owners put
the dog down. No frickin way, vet did the surgery and Scruffy
has the run of the house, it is his world and he lets us live in it!!!!I always wanted to save a Yorkie. I've come close a couple of times but just couldn't find a free one close enough.

rock on sooner
11/4/2012, 07:55 PM
I always wanted to save a Yorkie. I've come close a couple of times but just couldn't find a free one close enough.

Well, this little guy is SO territorial that you'd think he hates you,
but, once he gets used to you, he'll steal your heart!

SicEmBaylor
11/4/2012, 08:14 PM
I will never ever own another dog breed other than English Bulldog. My grandmother has a yorkie, and I detest that little rat but I'm sure you love yours! ;)

rock on sooner
11/4/2012, 09:43 PM
I will never ever own another dog breed other than English Bulldog. My grandmother has a yorkie, and I detest that little rat but I'm sure you love yours! ;)

Well, SicEm, Yorkie is a rat terrier breed and can sense when there
is hostility. I bet if ya give it a chance, it'll lick yer hand, crawl up
in yer lap, look at ya and you'll surrender. Wouldn't trade Scruffy
for any breed and I know there's a ton of em that people swear
by. This little guy is IT!

SicEmBaylor
11/4/2012, 09:50 PM
Well, SicEm, Yorkie is a rat terrier breed and can sense when there
is hostility. I bet if ya give it a chance, it'll lick yer hand, crawl up
in yer lap, look at ya and you'll surrender. Wouldn't trade Scruffy
for any breed and I know there's a ton of em that people swear
by. This little guy is IT!
I don't like yappy dogs that bark. English Bulldogs rarely bark.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/winstonStPattys.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/599356_278114055626460_1385570019_n.jpg

The one on the top is Winston who I bought as a pup from a breeder here in OK. He was with me for 7 years, but died last year. English bullies only have an average lifespan of 8 years.

The one on the bottom is Charley and he was a surrender to an english bulldog rescue. His previous owners had him for 7 years, but they recently had a kid and didn't think they had the time to take care of him anymore.

The thing about English bulldogs is that they're incredibly smart but extremely stubborn. They won't do anything unless they think there is something in it for them. They're lazy, so if you want an athletic dog then an english bully definitely isn't it. But they have more personality than any other breed I've ever seen. They're extremely emotive and can be bossy but highly sensitive.

Great great breed but they aren't for everyone especially considering their health issues.

MamaMia
11/4/2012, 09:57 PM
Between my dad, who was the flight supervisor at the Cold Bay Alaska air traffic control tower, a couple of Flying Tiger pilots, and the Los Angeles Zoo, we were able to find a happy home for my seal. I named her Lucille. Three years, many letters and pictures later, I was able to visit her. She remembered me and could still do the tricks I taught her.

SicEmBaylor
11/4/2012, 10:05 PM
Between my dad, who was the flight supervisor at the Cold Bay Alaska air traffic control tower, a couple of Flying Tiger pilots, and the Los Angeles Zoo, we were able to find a happy home for my seal. I named her Lucille. Three years, many letters and pictures later, I was able to visit her. She remembered me and could still do the tricks I taught her.
They didn't really send her to a farm where she had plenty of room to run and play -- that's just what they told you. She ended up between two slices of rye bread.

rock on sooner
11/4/2012, 10:14 PM
They didn't really send her to a farm where she had plenty of room to run and play -- that's just what they told you. She ended up between two slices of rye bread.

Wow, SicEm, I appreciate your loyalty to the bulldog breed but that crack
about the rye bread sux!

SicEmBaylor
11/4/2012, 10:46 PM
Wow, SicEm, I appreciate your loyalty to the bulldog breed but that crack
about the rye bread sux!

You don't like rye bread?

jk the sooner fan
11/4/2012, 10:53 PM
i had a mouse once

a circus mouse

he got smushed but one of my friends saved him

you know, so he could fulfill his circus dreams

olevetonahill
11/4/2012, 10:54 PM

Yea but you got away before we could have ya for supper.

jk the sooner fan
11/4/2012, 10:55 PM
exactly what kind of tricks could Lucille the Seal do?

MamaMia
11/4/2012, 11:08 PM
exactly what kind of tricks could Lucille the Seal do?
She did a hug thing where she would sit and lay her head on my shoulder if I said "hug" and she would bark 3 times in a row if I held up my hand and pressed my fingers together.

StoopTroup
11/5/2012, 01:09 AM
Here's what the traps they used looked like.

http://www.caraphil.org/files/cat_in_trap_for__website_2_1.jpg

I once even saw some crazy Gal who thought she was doing the cat some good set a can of food on top the cage with a cat that was already trapped inside the cage. I guess she really thought they were going to give it to the cat. The only thing they gave the cat was a very long sleep.

jk the sooner fan
11/5/2012, 08:12 AM
crazy, my dog will lay her head on my shoulder if i say hug, but thinks i want to smoosh her head when i raise my arms and press my fingers together

jk the sooner fan
11/5/2012, 09:03 AM
that baby seal grew up and married Heidi Klum and made hit records

MamaMia
11/5/2012, 09:37 AM
My sister took over possession of a neighbors pet raccoon a few years back. They were not supplying the proper anything for this baby raccoon, It was literally dying, so she took over. Her vet has the raccoon now.

C&CDean
11/5/2012, 01:27 PM
You're trying too hard jon.

Anyone who's ever lived in the country has attempted a wild-animal rescue of some sort. Nearly all fail; and even when "successful" what have you accomplished? Poor thing might get another crack at a life, but will probably just end up in their normal spot in the food chain sooner than normal because now it's "tame."

When I see something injured I either leave it alone and let nature take it's course, or if it seems to be in great pain I go ahead and kill it. If it's a cat that's injured it's pretty much automatic that he's going to kitty heaven. I hate seeing anything suffering. Even a cat. It's easier for me to euthanize it than it is to leave it in pain.

pphilfran
11/5/2012, 01:46 PM

Anyone who's ever lived in the country has attempted a wild-animal rescue of some sort. Nearly all fail; and even when "successful" what have you accomplished? Poor thing might get another crack at a life, but will probably just end up in their normal spot in the food chain sooner than normal because now it's "tame."

When I see something injured I either leave it alone and let nature take it's course, or if it seems to be in great pain I go ahead and kill it. If it's a cat that's injured it's pretty much automatic that he's going to kitty heaven. I hate seeing anything suffering. Even a cat. It's easier for me to euthanize it than it is to leave it in pain.

This is on target...

The blue jay we saved had no fear of man...like I said it would fly up and land on your head...we saw it around for a month or two and then it disappeared...not surprising...

SicEmBaylor
11/5/2012, 01:53 PM
Birds are rats with wings. I wouldn't touch much less save one.

pphilfran
11/5/2012, 02:00 PM
Birds are rats with wings. I wouldn't touch much less save one.

You only say that because most birds are taller than you...

StoopTroup
11/5/2012, 02:03 PM
Alaska the Last Frontier is a show about the Kilcher Homestead up in Alaska. I think it's Season Two...Episode 3 that Otto Kilcher talks about what happens when your little pet bunny gets out in the hay field while he's mowing with his old rebuilt mowing deck.

Squeak....thump.

That's life on the farm....LOL

pphilfran
11/5/2012, 02:25 PM
I once mowed over an bunny nest on Easter Sunday...not a pretty sight...no colored eggs for me...

C&CDean
11/5/2012, 03:07 PM
If you mow hay in Oklahoma for any length of time you will have kilt at least several of the following:

Baby quail, turkey, turkey eggs, fawns, rabbits, rats, mice, gophers, snakes, kittens, armadillos, and a few other critters. I don't mind the rodents, but when you hit turkey/eggs/deer it pretty much sucks.

The upside is watching the hawks work. They'll nail the rats/mice/gophers while they run across the mowed pasture. They also are hell on the snakes.

Soonerjeepman
11/5/2012, 03:51 PM
worked at the zoo in Manhattan Ks for awhile...saved several animals. I was going to go into the administration side (education) but them zoo keepers are a different breed.

GF has a teacher in her school...saves cats...has over 40 in her house...UGH! she is a real freak about this...like weird freak.

olevetonahill
11/5/2012, 08:37 PM

You nailed it Dean. I only try to save em anymore IF i know I can find em a home somewhere

MamaMia
11/6/2012, 01:32 AM
I appreciate people who foster rescue animals. A lady does that here in town. They have a huge box at one of the grocery stores that you can put things in to donate to help with her cause, like shampoo, food, treats, toys, leashes, pet beds, collars and such.

At Christmas I gather donation money to buy a gift certificate to give for vet bills.

Chuck Bao
11/6/2012, 02:17 AM
As a kid with nothing better to do than play in the hay fields, barns, pastures and plowed fields in Southern Oklahoma, I tried to rescue anything and everything that looked even slightly distressed. In most cases, I’m sure that I was the main reason for the distress. I can’t say that any of my noble efforts were particularly successful. From the animals’ viewpoint, “just kill me now” would have been better if they could have talked.

But, I have one positive rescue story. I was jogging in Lumpini Park in Bangkok early one morning in the 90s and noticed a baby bird on the pavement that had fallen out of its nest in the tree above. I took the little featherless bird home, expecting it to die shortly. It didn’t and ate every worm/bug that I put in front of it. Didn’t even know what kind of bird it was until its feathers came in. It was one of those talking Burmese Mynah birds. Never got it to talk. My maid left the door open one day and it flew away. Karma, man. Karma.

SicEmBaylor
11/6/2012, 05:39 AM
I appreciate people who foster rescue animals. A lady does that here in town. They have a huge box at one of the grocery stores that you can put things in to donate to help with her cause, like shampoo, food, treats, toys, leashes, pet beds, collars and such.

At Christmas I gather donation money to buy a gift certificate to give for vet bills.
I think you're angling for beatification. Admit it.

SicEmBaylor
11/6/2012, 11:07 AM
I sell panda meat I get on the black market to under privileged inner city youths who also don't have winter coats.

SicEmBaylor
11/6/2012, 11:08 AM
I donated money for injured iguanas.

SicEmBaylor
11/6/2012, 11:08 AM
I find old appliances and donate them to battered women's shelters and teach training courses on how to operate them. If they had the proper knowledge from the beginning, they probably wouldn't be in the battered women's shelter.

usmc-sooner
11/7/2012, 07:00 PM
I train dogs with peanut butter.