PDA

View Full Version : AD vs. Barry

CowboyMRW
11/4/2012, 04:45 PM
AD's first 5 seasons vs. Barry's first 5 seasons. Very, very close. If AD can stay healthy and continue to put up big numbers with his style of running there is no doubt that he will go down as a top 5 RB of all time.

http://i.imgur.com/hC2ae.jpg

Love watching him run, and hope that he can continue that. He already has one amazing run today.

http://fauxjohnmadden.lockerdome.com/media/102061505

OUster
11/4/2012, 07:00 PM
Like Barry, AD has to do it with an O-line that could be alot better. I wonder how either of them would do behind a line like the Cowboys had in the 90's.

tulsaoilerfan
11/4/2012, 07:05 PM
Peterson needs a damn QB; i thought Ponder sucked at FSU, and he sucks even worse with the Vikings

bluedogok
11/4/2012, 07:31 PM
Like Romo, Ponder is better than who he replaced....

bixby28
11/4/2012, 08:05 PM
I had the chance to watch a lot of Sanders' career and he was a much different RB than Peterson is (you guys know), but AD is just as dangerous with the ball in his hands.

Bo Jackson is the only other RB-- carrer ending injury aside -- that was as talented as Barry Sanders. If Bo had just played football, and not missed 8 games a year because of baseball, he would've set records that nobody would touch.

CowboyMRW
11/4/2012, 08:13 PM
I had the chance to watch a lot of Sanders' career and he was a much different RB than Peterson is (you guys know), but AD is just as dangerous with the ball in his hands.

Bo Jackson is the only other RB-- carrer ending injury aside -- that was as talented as Barry Sanders. If Bo had just played football, and not missed 8 games a year because of baseball, he would've set records that nobody would touch.

What if Barry would've played another 5 years though?

Last five years: 8,480 yards, 5.2 yards per carry

The thing I love about AD though is that he is not a 1 trick pony. He can not only run you over, but he has the moves and speed to make you miss in space.

bixby28
11/4/2012, 08:29 PM
Barry still had some good football left in him, there's no doubt about it.

Bo played less than 40 games in 4 years, and hadn't scratched the surface with his ability.

Breadburner
11/4/2012, 10:13 PM
Quit trying to deflect and suck up...Dooshy OP....

Soonerfan88
11/4/2012, 10:18 PM

Billy Sims was certainly as good and maybe even better than Barry Sanders - and yes, I am talking about his time with the Lions, not just college. His injury, just like Bo, cut short a career that would have rivaled any other.

CowboyMRW
11/4/2012, 10:25 PM
Quit trying to deflect and suck up...Dooshy OP....

No reason to suck up man. Sorry for enjoying talent on the field and appreciating what AD does. Just because he went to OU doesn't mean I have to hate the kid. Plus, I thought that most OU fans would enjoy that graphic.

Lastly what am I deflecting? I was never asked a question.

Billy Sims was certainly as good and maybe even better than Barry Sanders - and yes, I am talking about his time with the Lions, not just college. His injury, just like Bo, cut short a career that would have rivaled any other.

Would've liked to see him play. Was way before my time. I've heard that he was great RB though.

bixby28
11/4/2012, 10:46 PM
Sims played in the NFL before I was old enough to remember how to tie my shoes, but I've heard that the guy was pretty good.

I think Bo's career yd./rush average is 2nd in NFL history.

Salt City Sooner
11/4/2012, 11:11 PM
No reason to suck up man. Sorry for enjoying talent on the field and appreciating what AD does. Just because he went to OU doesn't mean I have to hate the kid. Plus, I thought that most OU fans would enjoy that graphic.

Lastly what am I deflecting? I was never asked a question.

Would've liked to see him play. Was way before my time. I've heard that he was great RB though.

A few Sims highlights:

y0O7973Ew8A

K7xsf5_nePE

q3VxGg79F3w&feature=relmfu

StoopTroup
11/5/2012, 01:02 AM
I got to see Billy and Barry play for Detroit. My Brother was working in Houston the weekend of the last Houston Oiler Game. The Lions played them in the Astrodome. It was surreal as Houston folks were pretty pissed off they lost their NFL Franchise. I can't say I would blame them. We decided it might be a cool game to catch. It was. The Lions beat them too. Barry was impressive. He just had this really smooth way of running by people and with the slightest fake, he could leave them standing there looking for their jock.

Salt City Sooner
11/5/2012, 01:19 AM
I got to see Billy and Barry play for Detroit. My Brother was working in Houston the weekend of the last Houston Oiler Game. The Lions played them in the Astrodome. It was surreal as Houston folks were pretty pissed off they lost their NFL Franchise. I can't say I would blame them. We decided it might be a cool game to catch. It was. The Lions beat them too. Barry was impressive. He just had this really smooth way of running by people and with the slightest fake, he could leave them standing there looking for their jock.
Funny thing about that is that I knew his older brother (one of the nicest guys I've ever had the pleasure of knowing) when I was equipment mgr. for the Dragons back in the fall of '85 & he was our backup tailback. He was built pretty much exactly like Barry ( rock solid 5'8"-ish, 200 lbs.), but his running style could NOT have been more different. If you tried to take him on you'd better have been on your toes because if he thought for a nanosecond that you were on your heels, he'd plow your arse over w/o thinking twice. He blew his knee out the next year, but rehabbed it & went on to 2 successful seasons at Northwestern (back to back 1,000 yard years, & remember, NW royally stunk as a team when he was there). Tried out for the Bears but eventually was cut.

jkjsooner
11/5/2012, 08:03 AM
Barry still had some good football left in him, there's no doubt about it.

Bo played less than 40 games in 4 years, and hadn't scratched the surface with his ability.

I get it that he didn't scratch the surface on what he could have accomplished but how in the world do you know he didn't scratch the surface with his ability?

It seems like Bo Jackson has become some type of legendary status that he didn't have when he actually played. Yes, he was a great football player and a very very good baseball player. His dual athlete status lead to a very well known and successful marketing campaign which is deserved.

It's just as a football player people remember Bo as head and shoulders above Barry Sanders or Jim Brown - had he only been healthy. That's not the way people looked at Bo back in the late '80s.

BTW, here's Bo's yards per game.

I know he didn't have huge attempts per game and had some other good backs around him but all the hypebole about him being unparalleled is garbage.

jkjsooner
11/5/2012, 08:11 AM

I enjoyed it and really enjoyed watching Sanders play at OSU and Detroit. I guess I'm a suck up too.

jkjsooner
11/5/2012, 08:25 AM
How much longer does AD have to do this before he becomes a lock for the HOF?

OU is underrepresented in the HOF so it would be really good to get Peterson in there. I think the odds are pretty strong in favor of him but you just never know how long a running back will last.

If I remember right from looking at HOF players he really only needs a couple of more years at this level or alternatively quite a few years at a lower level to match up with several HOF'ers. A couple of years at this level and a few less spectacular years would put him right on par with some of the greats.

I think with Peterson's work ethic and drive he has a better chance than some of our past running backs (Sims/Dupree) of having a lengthy career. He's proven he can recover from a fairly serious knee injury.

It's unfortunate that we only have two HOF'ers. Part of the reason is our offensive philosophies really limited the number of non-RB offensive players we could put in the NFL. Then there are guys like Sims who would have made it had they only stayed healthy for a few more years.

Soonermagik
11/5/2012, 08:59 AM
2 very special running backs.. no doubt. As mentioned earlier, neither guy has had the world's best O-line. People often argue who is the greatest sooner to ever play and I think you have to look at the totality of what they did. In my mind, no one is close to AD. He was insane at OU even with injuries and he has completely dominated the NFL.

CobraKai
11/5/2012, 09:15 AM
Barry was the best I ever saw. What made him so amazing is what he did the second five years of his career. That said, AD is obviously on a trajectory that puts him right there with Sanders. If he can keep it up for 5+ more years you can certainly argue that he is the best of all time.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/5/2012, 09:34 AM
Barry's Heisman season was the single greatest individual college football season I've ever witnessed. I think he took the opening kickoff of the season back for a TD. Yes, he returned kicks that year too.

AD is one of the very few guys that I think could have gone into the NFL right out of high school. The dude is a physical freak. I have no doubt he'll play another 5 to 7 years at a very high level.

ouleaf
11/5/2012, 11:50 AM
How much longer does AD have to do this before he becomes a lock for the HOF?

It will definitely be interesting to see how things play out about 10-20 years from now when RBs from this generation are up for HOF consideration. Given the fact the RBs just are not utilized the same way anymore.

I would say anyone that can top the great Jim Brown's rushing yardage mark of 12,312 should be a lock for the HOF. The only guys above that mark that are not in the HOF are Tomlinson (should be 1st ballot when eligible) and Bettis (Finalist in 11 & 12. He'll get in though)

StoopTroup
11/5/2012, 11:56 AM
Funny thing about that is that I knew his older brother (one of the nicest guys I've ever had the pleasure of knowing) when I was equipment mgr. for the Dragons back in the fall of '85 & he was our backup tailback. He was built pretty much exactly like Barry ( rock solid 5'8"-ish, 200 lbs.), but his running style could NOT have been more different. If you tried to take him on you'd better have been on your toes because if he thought for a nanosecond that you were on your heels, he'd plow your arse over w/o thinking twice. He blew his knee out the next year, but rehabbed it & went on to 2 successful seasons at Northwestern (back to back 1,000 yard years, & remember, NW royally stunk as a team when he was there). Tried out for the Bears but eventually was cut.

When Micheal Anderson (Head Coach of the Razorbacks Basketball Team) was at Tulsa, I was taking some Physics II and Chem II classes and a Law Class. I was working on getting my resume beefed up and studying for my MCATs. I started playing some Basketball after class and TU was just finishing practices about that time. I got to play in a few pickup games with some of the starters and Anderson was there. He's was no Barry Sanders but was one of the fastest guys I had ever played ball against.

If is unreal when you actually experience what it's like to play someone that is that fast and talented. Can't imagine what these guys have to deal with when guys like AD, Billy and Barry are coming right at them. One blink and you've pulled a muscle in your neck to see where they went.....lol

aero
11/5/2012, 12:18 PM
Barry was just a awesome to watch. That's impressive that AD is right there with him but not surprising. Bo was indeed great but longevity is part of the equation.

StoopTroup
11/5/2012, 12:20 PM
Bo tried to do to much. He definitely has his fans but like aero is saying...look how it turned out. Very tough for him I bet. It looked like he loved to run and play at that level...once that was gone so quickly, it was a huge shock.

Bo like AD and Barry seemed to do it with very little effort and seemed to feed off the people chasing them.

pphilfran
11/5/2012, 02:14 PM
AD is on Barry's *** after five years...but the next 5 are going to be hard to match...

2053 (6.1 per carry)

bixby28
11/5/2012, 02:21 PM
I get it that he didn't scratch the surface on what he could have accomplished but how in the world do you know he didn't scratch the surface with his ability?

It seems like Bo Jackson has become some type of legendary status that he didn't have when he actually played. Yes, he was a great football player and a very very good baseball player. His dual athlete status lead to a very well known and successful marketing campaign which is deserved.

It's just as a football player people remember Bo as head and shoulders above Barry Sanders or Jim Brown - had he only been healthy. That's not the way people looked at Bo back in the late '80s.

I know he didn't have huge attempts per game and had some other good backs around him but all the hypebole about him being unparalleled is garbage.

Bo could've done much more.

Why ? He was a part-time football player who only played partial seasons with the Raiders, meaning, he wasn't probably around for training camp -- because of baseball -- and played on a mediocre Raiders team.

His reputation was even stronger in the 80's. I'm not sure if anyone involved in the NFL in the late 80's would say that he wasn't as talented as any RB in the league. Is he "head and shoulders above Barry and Jim Brown" ? I haven't seen anyone in this post say that, nor have I heard that -- even once.

pphilfran
11/5/2012, 02:26 PM
Bo knows....

JLMSOONER
11/5/2012, 05:10 PM
Bo knows how to break a baseball bat with his knee. I saw that.

EatLeadCommie
11/5/2012, 05:20 PM
As great as AD is, Sanders was better. Sanders was the best I've ever seen, though I wasn't around for Jim Brown.

CowboyMRW
11/5/2012, 06:23 PM
This is very, very nitpicky but one thing that I would say about AD is that he seems to always get positive yards. With Sanders, there were times that he danced a little too much.

But like I said, very nitpicky.

OkieThunderLion
11/6/2012, 10:06 AM

BTW, here's Bo's yards per carry
---
5.4 career (#2 all-time for RBs w/ 500+ carries)

Bo was a freak. Period.