PDA

View Full Version : Landry is Tony Romo

soonerinabilene
11/3/2012, 02:05 PM
They both make some of the worst throws and worst decisions I've ever seen, at least once a game.

And they both make a ton of the most amazing, beautiful, absolutely perfect throws that nobody wants to ever talk about because all they remember is the bad stuff.

They are the only two quarterbacks that can be the best in the nation and the worst in the nation in the same game. But man, when they are good, they are really, really, really good.

Stooper
11/3/2012, 02:07 PM
Amen!

goingoneight
11/3/2012, 02:29 PM
Landry is nowhere near the mobile athlete Romo is. There's plenty of hot and cold QBs out there, though.

MyT Oklahoma
11/3/2012, 02:37 PM
"It is what it is."

StoopTroup
11/3/2012, 02:41 PM
The thing is though....The Cowboys just need to spend some money or trade for a good draft pick to replace Romo. We have Landry till the end of this Season and he's an Amateur Player. Romo is paid to win and lead the Cowboys and yet they continue to keep him behind Center even though they aren't ever going to win a Super Bowl with him as their QB.

Landry might just be the guy to replace Romo. That would be a hoot.

Okie35
11/3/2012, 02:43 PM
Landry is nowhere near the mobile athlete Romo is. There's plenty of hot and cold QBs out there, though.

Uh they have about the same mobility. You don't remember Landry the Nebraska game during the last Big XII ship? Tony Romo runs a 40 at 5.02, Landry runs it at 5.06. I've been saying this for a year now he's the college version of the NFL version Tony Romo. He's got a BIG arm but can make some bonehead plays every now and then. He's an elite QB that makes bad decisions from time to time but has the ability to shake off bad plays.

Curly Bill
11/3/2012, 03:01 PM
Uh they have about the same mobility. You don't remember Landry the Nebraska game during the last Big XII ship? Tony Romo runs a 40 at 5.02, Landry runs it at 5.06. I've been saying this for a year now he's the college version of the NFL version Tony Romo. He's got a BIG arm but can make some bonehead plays every now and then. He's an elite QB that makes bad decisions from time to time but has the ability to shake off bad plays.

Seriously? Have you watched them play?

StoopTroup
11/3/2012, 03:29 PM
Romo didn't get a game ball.

(ESPN) Gameball goes to... Landry Jones, who helped OU put last week's loss to Notre Dame behind it with 405 yards passing and four touchdowns.

SoonerStormchaser
11/3/2012, 03:44 PM
Landry comes up with clunkers and stalled drives at the worst possible times...a la K-State and Notre Dame. He reminds me a LOT of Hybl...good but not great. I just don't see him cracking the starting line in the NFL.

StoopTroup
11/3/2012, 04:07 PM
Like some folks say...It's a wonder we get any QB when kids who post stats that have never been achieved here are considered losers by the fan base. We should only recruit QBs who are potential All-Americans that have never lost a game since pee wee ball.

SSC....remind me again why Sam Bradford got a shot at Starting QB and why Landry got a Shot at Starting QB. Also why did Landry stay our Starting QB?

I will always wonder if Jason White would have gone on to the NFL if Hybl had started the Nebraska Game in Lincoln rather than have to finish it. That game cost him a career in the NFL IMO.

Just because you like a QB more than another doesn't mean you are right about one being better than another.

Hybl hurt his right side in the first quarter of the Sooners' 14-3 win over No. 5 Texas and did not return.

Hybl led the team to a Big 12 championship and a victory over Washington State in the 2003 Rose Bowl game, being named MVP.

I still have a picture I took of Jason standing on the sideline with a 10 lb bag of ice taped to his knee. It was very hard to watch.

Bob has always tried to put the guy that was either playing better or able to play in and I'm guessing many times it was a very tough close call as to who got the nod.

I just don't get Fans who crap on Coaches and Players that help put Trophies in the Switzer Center.

Landry stands a much better chance of playing in the NFL because Bob played the Belldozer the last two seasons instead of put Landry in on short yardage Situations. I think you'll see Landry take time to prepare for the Draft like Sam did and he will get his shot in the NFL. He's being groomed just like Sam was.

PLaw
11/3/2012, 04:12 PM
I can name about 110 NCAA schools that would love to have LJ and probably 15-20 that wouldn't mind Romo.

Boomer

8timechamps
11/3/2012, 04:22 PM
Landry is an enigma. I've never been so pleased and displeased with a player the way I am with LJ. When it's all said and done, I will think highly of Landry as he has provided me with more good memories than bad. Until then, hang on to something and get ready for the unknown.

EatLeadCommie
11/3/2012, 04:55 PM
At least Romo would know where to run to for the first down before he hits the deck.

Landry is just an egghead. There is no getting around it. Yes, he is capable of making great throws. Yet I have never seen a QB at any level that has such a propensity for eggheadedness. The guy is a 5th year senior and still makes the same mistakes he did as a freshman. And just when you think he's done for the day, he'll do something simultaneously great and stupid like use his legs to seemingly get a first down and then hit the deck half a yard short.

Perhaps the passage of time will make me appreciate him more, but I doubt it. I was thinking about all those former Sooners who come back on gameday and sign balls and wondered what the reaction will be when it's Landry's turn. I think it will be a nearly universal "Meh."

C&CDean
11/3/2012, 05:08 PM
Do we really need a new Landry/romo thread every week?

StoopTroup
11/3/2012, 05:13 PM
Aggie logic seems to surround all things Cowboy.

DrZaius
11/3/2012, 05:21 PM
The biggest problem I see with LJ is a lack of FAITH in himself. He seems to have plenty for GOD but has sold himself short in that regard. This is why he does not seem to have that winning drive. He is waiting for some kind of divine intervention which is completely insane.

Tony's problem is that he just plain sucks!

Curly Bill
11/3/2012, 08:20 PM
At least Romo would know where to run to for the first down before he hits the deck.

Landry is just an egghead. There is no getting around it. Yes, he is capable of making great throws. Yet I have never seen a QB at any level that has such a propensity for eggheadedness. The guy is a 5th year senior and still makes the same mistakes he did as a freshman. And just when you think he's done for the day, he'll do something simultaneously great and stupid like use his legs to seemingly get a first down and then hit the deck half a yard short.

Perhaps the passage of time will make me appreciate him more, but I doubt it. I was thinking about all those former Sooners who come back on gameday and sign balls and wondered what the reaction will be when it's Landry's turn. I think it will be a nearly universal "Meh."

Sums it up pretty nicely. You could also call him a big ol p***y and be right as well.

LASooner
11/4/2012, 12:15 AM
Landry is Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh, A Million dollar arm and a 10 cent brain.

iknowyoudidnt
11/4/2012, 12:42 AM
I'm kinda tired of watching Landry play football. I realize that makes me a terrible person and an idiot. I'm sorry. :(

MamaMia
11/4/2012, 12:49 AM
In Landrys defense, name one quarterback who hasn't made "Some boneheaded" decisions? The best QBs in the world have lost games over having an extraordinarily bad bad day.

agoo758
11/4/2012, 01:23 AM
Well....at least he isn't Franklin from Missouri.

StoopTroup
11/4/2012, 01:58 AM
I'm kinda tired of watching Landry play football. I realize that makes me a terrible person and an idiot. I'm sorry. :(

You should just settle in for a nice Buffalo Game. They really have turned things around in the Pac36.

TUSooner
11/4/2012, 10:47 AM
In case anybody wonders: LJ -- for all of his great personal virtue and character, is NOT an NFL quality QB. No way. No how. Not ever. Any NFL GM who wastes a draft pick on LJ should be fired immediately, then shot at dawn.

jk the sooner fan
11/4/2012, 11:14 AM
In case anybody wonders: LJ -- for all of his great personal virtue and character, is NOT an NFL quality QB. No way. No how. Not ever. Any NFL GM who wastes a draft pick on LJ should be fired immediately, then shot at dawn.

you base your analysis on what foundation? just a casual fan - or do you possess some football knowledge that the NFL scouts dont seem to have figured out?

Curly Bill
11/4/2012, 12:36 PM

I tend to agree with this statement.

aero
11/4/2012, 12:55 PM
I tend to agree with this statement.

me too. Landry does NOT handle pressure even slightly well. Even the thought of pressure gives him happy feet. NFL defenses constantly try to confuse and pressure the qb. He'd have to make a tremendous jump to change his m.o. and he hasn't done it in 5 years here so I doubt there's many believing he's got it in him. He's been a good qb. Lot's of great stats. Seems like a really good guy. He's done the best he could.

bluedogok
11/4/2012, 01:02 PM
Just look at the majority of backup and alternate starting QB's in the NFL, I think Landry is just as good if not better than most of them. There are very few "exceptional" QB's in the NFL these days. With some time and coaching he could be a starter at some of those teams, geez...if Kyle Orton could start for a few years, Landry could as well. QB play at most teams is exceedingly average.

PLaw
11/4/2012, 01:07 PM
I just love how these Landry haters like to launch their over-criticizer bombs.

End of the day, LJ will wind up as No. 3 on the NCAA career passing yards list and be well North of 60% completions percentage. This year he has had a makeshift OL and a complete new group of receivers. He has also had to endure an OC change to rookie play caller. Still, no slack for the winningest QB in program history.

You Sunday morning QB's need to go crawl in a hole and keep your stupid opinions to yourself. I can only hope that your manager/supervisor at work shows you the same grace that you show to a great SOONER.

BOOMER SOONER

Curly Bill
11/4/2012, 02:23 PM
I just love how these Landry haters like to launch their over-criticizer bombs.

End of the day, LJ will wind up as No. 3 on the NCAA career passing yards list and be well North of 60% completions percentage. This year he has had a makeshift OL and a complete new group of receivers. He has also had to endure an OC change to rookie play caller. Still, no slack for the winningest QB in program history.

You Sunday morning QB's need to go crawl in a hole and keep your stupid opinions to yourself. I can only hope that your manager/supervisor at work shows you the same grace that you show to a great SOONER.

BOOMER SOONER

Wow, such angst! Impressive! Did you shed a tear or two while typing that?

PLaw
11/4/2012, 03:26 PM
Wow, such angst! Impressive! Did you shed a tear or two while typing that?

No, I've just got better ****ing things to do than sit around and nit pick 18-22 year old kids who are doing their best to peform for the coaches and you, the "fan", so you can stick your chest out a little further on Monday morning.

Granted, there have been knucklheads in the program that put themselves ahead of the team and deserve a little heat, but LJ isn't one of them.

Give me a Sooner?

BOOMER!

8timechamps
11/4/2012, 04:37 PM
No, I've just got better ****ing things to do than sit around and nit pick 18-22 year old kids who are doing their best to peform for the coaches and you, the "fan", so you can stick your chest out a little further on Monday morning.

Granted, there have been knucklheads in the program that put themselves ahead of the team and deserve a little heat, but LJ isn't one of them.

Give me a Sooner?

BOOMER!

SOONER!

jk the sooner fan
11/4/2012, 06:00 PM
do any of you actually watch the throws he DOES make? the long ones? not the swing passes?

dude can toss the ball quite well

have you seen how well Sam Bradford handles pressure now that he has a pathetic excuse for an offensive line? or how any other QB in the NFL not named RG3 or Cam Newton handles pressure? and oh by the way - those two aren't playing for teams with winning records

quit drinking the hatorade and passing judgment on the kid because he hasnt lived up to your expectations - or doesnt show emotion quite like you wish he would

ALL successful quarterbacks in the NFL with any longevity in the league are that way because they have the supporting cast to make them successful

any of you remember the last two years Aikman had in Dallas? horrible......awful - he spent more time on his back than Sic'em's blow up doll

the NFL is littered with QB's that came from colleges that dont have winning records, go to big bowl games, win heismans, championships, etc etc

mdklatt
11/4/2012, 07:35 PM
Just look at the majority of backup and alternate starting QB's in the NFL, I think Landry is just as good if not better than most of them. There are very few "exceptional" QB's in the NFL these days.

If Tarvaris freakin' Jackson could be an NFL starting QB, anybody can. But Landry's only hope is that goes late enough in the draft to end up on a team that has good players around him.

I Am Right
11/4/2012, 08:13 PM
Jones isnt that good

StoopTroup
11/4/2012, 08:39 PM
Just saw Homo take a snap from under center. Landry doesn't do that.

Crazy talk.

StoopTroup
11/4/2012, 08:42 PM
any of you remember the last two years Aikman had in Dallas? horrible......awful - he spent more time on his back than Sic'em's blow up doll

ROTFLMAO

http://www.comedycv.co.uk/dougstanhope/2003-january-doug-stanhope.jpg

TUSooner
11/4/2012, 09:03 PM
you base your analysis on what foundation? just a casual fan - or do you possess some football knowledge that the NFL scouts dont seem to have figured out?

jk, as I think you already know; my qualifications are 45 years of watching football and three pints of beer! But I have watched a lot of NFL. I will concede that there are many poor QBs in the NFL, so someone may give LJ a shot. But I would be absolutely stunned if he got drafted on day 1, and even stunneder if he makes an NFL roster and.even more stunneder if he succeeds It's a dang hard job, as Sam can attest, and LJ <<<<<< Sam. It takes more than a arm to be an NFL QB, and the trail is littered with guys who had "all the tools" but failed. As far as I can tell, LJ is a very accurate passer, nothing to scoff at, but everything else suggests he lacks what it takes. He might last long enough for a cup of coffee before everybody, including LJ, realizes he's not an NFL QB.

jk the sooner fan
11/4/2012, 09:09 PM
prepare to be stunned!

TUSooner
11/4/2012, 09:09 PM
do any of you actually watch the throws he DOES make? the long ones? not the swing passes?

dude can toss the ball quite well

have you seen how well Sam Bradford handles pressure now that he has a pathetic excuse for an offensive line? or how any other QB in the NFL not named RG3 or Cam Newton handles pressure? and oh by the way - those two aren't playing for teams with winning records

quit drinking the hatorade and passing judgment on the kid because he hasnt lived up to your expectations - or doesnt show emotion quite like you wish he would

ALL successful quarterbacks in the NFL with any longevity in the league are that way because they have the supporting cast to make them successful

the NFL is littered with QB's that came from colleges that dont have winning records, go to big bowl games, win heismans, championships, etc etc

So what you;'re really saying is he doesn't HAVE to be all that good -- a backhanded compliment. Look I don't hate the guy, I just don't think he's NFL good. I'd be delighted to be wrong.

bluedogok
11/4/2012, 09:12 PM
Most QB's on NFL rosters are not "NFL good", if Caleb Hanie can stick as a backup and Bardy Quinn can sometimes start.....
There are just aren't that many great QB's anymore, most of the starters are good to average, excluding who the starter of the moment is in KC.

jk the sooner fan
11/4/2012, 09:15 PM
no- you have to be good - but i think the standard that many fans set for him is not realistic

you're evaluating him as a Sooner fan - period

Nate Hybl lasted on the Browns roster for 3 years (maybe 2).......Jones has the skill set - there is no doubt about that. to say that he doesnt have what it takes is simply not looking at the whole picture

just my opinion...the guy owns quite a few career records at OU - but because we're an annual 2 loss team - it's all his fault.....if Sam never won the Heisman he wouldnt be any different but that trophy and one spectacular year vaulted him to sainthood....and look how "great" he is in the NFL

goingoneight
11/4/2012, 09:22 PM
Nothing wrong with admitting you don't think he'll handle the NFL well. I thought after 2010 he'd make another good one ala Sam. As time has gone on, naturally we've seen areas of his game exposed. Then again, same could have happened to Sam if he played a couple years with subpar surrounding talent.

StoopTroup
11/4/2012, 09:47 PM
Just saw the 60 minutes piece where Aaron Rodgers was 5'11'' and Purdue told him good luck finding a school interested in you as a QB and then every NCAA Division didn't even want him. Then when he was drafted 24th in the 1st round to Green Bay he waited behind Favre and after Favre left...the GB Fans even told him they wanted Favre back and really were very verbally abusive in telling him.

I can understand you might not like him. What I don't understand is that if Landry takes time like Bradford and uses the folks Sam did to prepare for the Draft and then posts a 40+ Wonderlic Score and does fantastic in the Combines...he won't get any attention?

Landry has had incredible stats in HS which led to him coming to OU. When Sam Bradford was injured it was either Landry or Senior Joey Halzle. After that he has never stopped adding to what can only be described as some of the most impressive QB Stats in Sooner History and when the NFL looks at those Stats....he is going to get as many looks as any QB that might declare for the Draft this year. Since the NFL has been able to reduce the cost of taking a chance on a high draft pick by lowering the huge amounts agents and their clients used to require to sign a kid up.....I think he not only goes in the 1st round but he goes before Aaron Rodgers did when he went into the NFL Draft. Especially if his Wonderlic and Combine results turn some heads. Whatever OU Fans who have constantly bagged on him for not leading OU to another MNC think....I think they will look at his Stats and his ability to win the 3 Bowl Games (so far) in the Post Season will weigh heavily on the mind of Teams looking for a mature yet young QB who is married and isn't the kind of guy to spend his entire 1st check as a Pro making it rain at the first strip club the Team tries to get their Rookie QB to go to.

The NFL has paid a lot more to guys that didn't have near his stats and gotten nothing for their trouble. So I think it's up to Landry really and if he wants to play in the NFL....all he needs to do is show them how much he wants it.

I guarantee you the NFL is tired of guys like this...

http://www.davesfootballblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/vince-young-down.jpg

IMO...Landry is a lot less of a risk than VY was.

TUSooner
11/4/2012, 09:49 PM
Again, I'm not an LJ hater, and I don't blame him for our losses. Just don't think he's NFL good. Clipboard holder is not "NFL good." That's just my opinion, but it is what it is.

EDIT: good post StoopTroup, still.....

StoopTroup
11/4/2012, 09:50 PM
I understand. I haven't seen him hold a clipboard since he came here though.

TUSooner
11/4/2012, 09:54 PM
I understand. I haven't seen him hold a clipboard since he came here though.
Then shut up until you know what you're talking about!! :friendly_wink:

Johnny Utah
11/4/2012, 09:59 PM

Well Matt Ryan just slid at least 1 yard short of the 1st down marker .... guess none of them are perfect even though the Falcons record still is.

StoopTroup
11/4/2012, 10:07 PM
Then shut up until you know what you're talking about!! :friendly_wink:

I will hit you with my old Posse Clipboard.

jk the sooner fan
11/4/2012, 10:12 PM
if Joe Montana and John Unitas are the bar that Jones has to reach, then yeah - he's probably in trouble

but the number of greats in the league - thru out its history - are FAR outnumbered by the Chad Hutchinsons et al

so yeah - Jones has NFL talent and he's going to get a shot - and i'd be he's drafted on day one

what he does with that is anybody's guess

StoopTroup
11/4/2012, 10:18 PM
what he does with that is anybody's guess

That is exactly what I think as well. NFL QB's don't seem to last very long when they toss them to the Wolves as a Rookie. I think that was one of the reasons the NFL stated for lowering the initial wages for untested Rookies. Of course I really think it was more of a way for them to lower wages across the board rather than have money to keep veterans as franchise players but it will take some time to see how last years rookies and the next 3 or 4 years of rookies plays out. If the Veterans don't see higher wages...I expect to see the Players Union coming back at the owners for their dough.

engineer24
11/5/2012, 11:10 PM
Landry Jones is a ***** who doesnt like contact. He's scared and runs around the pocket instead of looking downfield with poise trying to find the open guy. Hell I cant blame him, I'd probably be scared of 250 lb 4.3 freaks coming after me too.

Thats not something you can coach out of somebody. You are either scared or you arent. That is completely independent of how accurate you can throw the ball, what your reads are, etc. Landry is great at those things. But he's got no heart and he's scared. You cant play scared and find a place in the NFL

StoopTroup
11/6/2012, 12:04 AM
But he's got no heart and he's scared.

It's your perception but I think he's just smart. White, Hybl, Bradford....all of them had some awful injuries. He saw what losing the starting QB does to a Team and has worked diligently with our Coaching Staff and the Team to avoid many of the hits our past QBs took. He's been able to stay healthier than any of the others and we just haven't had that happen in other area of our Team. Injuries kill runs to the MNC. I think he and Bell have done an exceptional job of trying to keep our offense scoring points. Even the two losses we have were not blowouts and were winnable ball games.

It sucks we aren't sitting on 10 or even 12 Crystal Balls since Bob came here but there are reasons for that. OU Fans that bag on Landry only help feed the whole National Media bias and feed this idea that Landry is this and that.

Bob and the Staff know who landry is and he has Started every Game since taking over for Bradford I think. That's a huge accomplishment in itself. It shows longevity and that he's able to do his part when he has players on the Team that also stay Healthy. College Ball can't just put kids in Injured Reserve and call up a free agent. I think he's going to do fine in the Pros. Not every successful NFL QB was come from a first round draft pick so if everyone's bagging on Landry continues and armchair QBs and Coaches all are able to stall a higher pick in the draft because of talk that he has no heart or can't lead....I'm betting that the support he gets from the OU Coaching Staff trumps most all of this disappointment Fans seem to be lodging against him as our QB.

I do wish he had had more success and been able to bring in an 8th MNC as our QB but I know it's not all his fault. He's made mistakes....but so do most QBs in the NFL. In Modern History in the NFL there has only been one Team (The 1972 Miami Dolphins) to win the regular Season. The Playoffs and the Super Bowl. They went 17-0. The NCAA asks for College QBs to do it every year. It's a very tough thing and even though there is controversy every year about the BCS...we still end up with very few undefeated Teams before deciding who plays in what Bowl and what two teams play for all the marbles.

If you don't play scared in the NFL....you won't be there very long.

PrideMom
11/6/2012, 09:46 AM
All of you Landry Jones haters will regret when he is no longer the QB for OU! You need to look at his stats again. There are plenty of schools that would drool to have Landry....Texas, Iowa State, OSU, etc.

OkieThunderLion
11/6/2012, 10:00 AM
You are out of your mind.

40 time = straight line and has little to do with mobility. Landry's a great player, but Romo's feet are on a whole different level.

Curly Bill
11/6/2012, 10:18 AM
All of you Landry Jones haters will regret when he is no longer the QB for OU! You need to look at his stats again. There are plenty of schools that would drool to have Landry....Texas, Iowa State, OSU, etc.

I'd wager $100 that I will not regret when he's gone. So...ya wanna bet?

jk the sooner fan
11/6/2012, 10:57 AM
Landry Jones is a ***** who doesnt like contact. He's scared and runs around the pocket instead of looking downfield with poise trying to find the open guy. Hell I cant blame him, I'd probably be scared of 250 lb 4.3 freaks coming after me too.

Thats not something you can coach out of somebody. You are either scared or you arent. That is completely independent of how accurate you can throw the ball, what your reads are, etc. Landry is great at those things. But he's got no heart and he's scared. You cant play scared and find a place in the NFL

congrats for the dumbest post in this thread

sorry but you dont get to play at this level without having a passion or a heart for the sport - or having an innate fear that can't be coached out....QB's are coached to avoid contact - it's kind of important to keep your starter healthy to finish the game

kids that make it to this level have dedicated HOURS to the sport - hours beyond what us message board champs can ever imagine.....you simply can't achieve that without heart

hate on him all you want because we've lost a few games, or because he's not Sam Bradford reincarnated - but get a tiny bit of perspective and reality in your brain

jk the sooner fan
11/6/2012, 11:00 AM
Landry Jones is a prototypical NFL style "drop back pocket passer"

he is not Vince Young - he was never recruited to be a running quarterback

some of you make my head hurt!

EatLeadCommie
11/6/2012, 11:50 AM
People don't bag on LJ because he isn't Sam Bradford or didn't bring us a national title. We bag on him because he has made no appreciable improvement in his mental game since perhaps the end of his sophomore year. Yeah, he can throw the ball nicely when he has time. But he craps his pants if his first or second read is not there, tends to force the ball, and often just makes flat out poor decisions with the football. You can point to stats all you want and say "Landry!", but I can do the same and say "Broyles!" It really gets us nowhere.

Some NFL team will take a chance on him because he does have the arm and the height and all the things that NFL scouts spooge over. But he doesn't have the mental game. He never has and, at this point, it's a safe bet that he never will.

Curly Bill
11/6/2012, 11:56 AM
People don't bag on LJ because he isn't Sam Bradford or didn't bring us a national title. We bag on him because he has made no appreciable improvement in his mental game since perhaps the end of his sophomore year. Yeah, he can throw the ball nicely when he has time. But he craps his pants if his first or second read is not there, tends to force the ball, and often just makes flat out poor decisions with the football. You can point to stats all you want and say "Landry!", but I can do the same and say "Broyles!" It really gets us nowhere.

Some NFL team will take a chance on him because he does have the arm and the height and all the things that NFL scouts spooge over. But he doesn't have the mental game. He never has and, at this point, it's a safe bet that he never will.

Winnah, winnah, chicken dinnah!

LiveLaughLove
11/6/2012, 12:08 PM
LJ is a very good QB. He has the fundamentals down and he can throw a beautiful pass and is decently accurate. His accuracy is not as good on slant patterns, he tends to be behind them. His deep ball is very good.

He is much better on his check downs than he was early on, so those saying he hasn't improved are just wrong. He has.

Now, he has way too happy of feet as has been pointed out. When he throws off of his back foot, bad things man, bad things.

He doesn't have good pocket awareness. He tends to leave when he's fine, and when he does leave he tends to drift into the rush, rather than away from it too many times.

Not sure if this is from lack of film watching and gathering the rushers tendencies or what.

Lastly, LJ and hate to say it, Sam also, don't have the "it" factor to me. They are both fundamentally sound, but neither seem to be able to rally the troops and bring their teams back from defeat to victory often enough. I never feel we are going to win late in a game, and we rarely do. Sam doesn't even now in the NFL.

To be fair, very few QBs have that "it" factor, but it is certainly one thing that made me admire Tebow (I know Tebow isn't as talented physically as either of them). He was never out of a game, and he drove his teammates to play just a bit harder and just a bit hungrier late in games. Elway the same.

We haven't had that "it" factor in awhile. Call it Sooner Magic if you want. It's not there. I can't stand the way LJ is on the sidelines. He is myopic. Bell goes over there and hollers and yells and is at least excited. Now whether that will translate in to the "it" thing only time will tell. Sometimes being loud and boisterous is just loud and boisterous. But at least, I know he is alive and excited to be wearing Crimson and Cream.

I would like to see Bell starting to get more and more playing time for next year personally, but it's not going to happen.

I like LJ. I respect him tremendously. He has done a very good job at OU, and I am glad we have had him. I'm ready to see what Bell can do now.

King Crimson
11/6/2012, 12:11 PM
i'm disappointed in the way OU has played some in the LJ years...i think we all know that... but man some of you people are off the chart.

goingoneight
11/6/2012, 12:45 PM
LJ would have started over Greg McElroy and probably AJ McCarron at Bama the last four years. For all those saying we can't win with LJ at QB... think about that for a second. LJ can't help that between a lackluster running game, an inconsistent OL and two really bad defenses and ST units contributed to us not being just a hair better the last few years. He's had his faults, but he's about as good as you can expect in the system he's in.

BoulderSooner79
11/6/2012, 12:46 PM

And that NFL could hit the jackpot. LJ has had 1 position coach for the last 5 years and it could be that another coach in a different scheme can raise him to the NFL level. And with the rookie salary cap in place, it's not such a huge hit to the team if a draft choice doesn't work out. All of us should be so unlucky to be limited like LJ.

I was one that thought LJ should declare last year, but not so much to rid OU of him. I just thought he has progressed as high as he could in our system and it wouldn't help him make in the NFL to stay if that is his goal. I also don't think it is great for a program to have a 4 year starter at QB unless it is someone phenomenal. It means you are probably playing someone who is not ready when he is a FR and it also means several other guys go through the system without getting a chance to play which has to discourage true competition. But LJ stayed and he is a great kid to represent the university and I doubt the team would have done better had he moved on. We just missed out on seasoning QB for the next year or 2 and that's not such a big deal.