PDA

View Full Version : Which Heisman campaign did the Sooners single-handedly destroy during the Stoops era?

badger
11/2/2012, 08:08 AM
Since it's Iowa State and I was just reminded of 2002, (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Sooners_brought_Iowa_States_dream_ season_to_halt_in_2002/12-17599) a question: Whose Heisman campaign did OU pretty much end during the Stoops era?

One day of voting. You can vote for em all if you want, but I want the ones that OU can be credited with solely crushing.

PrideMom
11/2/2012, 08:30 AM
I know Graham Harrell had phenomenal records, and then the Heisman committee did not even invite him to New York. I thought that was terrible.

badger
11/2/2012, 08:49 AM
I voted for all five, because the OU game(s) was/were pretty much the lowest of the low showing for all five. Seneca was running 100+ yards on opponents to gain about 10 yards for touchdowns, dancing around east and west before finally finding an opening (which likely means refs were ignoring lots of holding calls, heh).

Chrissy Sims was made to look like a blond b!tch against us. Remember the "TAKE THAT, TEXAS!" SI cover? Chrissy was on the receiving end, hehe.

If you look up the infamous "Jump Around" video, the one moment that they don't show OU players and fans is Mike Leach next to Graham Harrell. That moment where they're just standing there dumbfounded at what's happening around there ended his Heisman chances.

Some of you may remember Curtis Lofton carrying Chase McBooger piggy-bank style after an INT. I, however, remember Chase McBooger pouting on the sideline, with his backwards Mizzou hat, sitting on a Gatorade tub, whine whine whine during the Big 12 championship game. I rewound it several times to giggle more before NP and mom asked me to stop :)

You may recall that Cedric Benson was asked if he would rather beat OU or win the Heisman. The correct answer would have been "Don't the two go hand in hand?" A less correct but still acceptable answer would be "I have to put my team ahead of myself. We have got to get the golden hat back." Instead, Cedric Benson says "I'd rather have the Heisman." THAT, ladies and gentleman, may have been what ended his Heisman hopes more than the 12-0 shutout that year Hook em

EatLeadCommie
11/2/2012, 09:31 AM
The Seneca Wallace game was ridiculous. Think we gave up something like 50 total yards in that game to the Cyclones. It was the highlight in an otherwise cold, wet, and miserable day in Norman.

badger
11/2/2012, 09:48 AM
The Seneca Wallace game was ridiculous. Think we gave up something like 50 total yards in that game to the Cyclones. It was the highlight in an otherwise cold, wet, and miserable day in Norman.

My highlight from the game:

A bored badger stands around in band, being very bored with yet another beatdown when all of the sudden, an odd figure walks by... it's a guy dressed as a Seneca Wallace Heisman Trophy! Gold paint and everything! Seriously, this ISU fan was COMPLETELY gold. It was pretty cool, but tee hee, all dressed (painted?) up for a 49-3 loss. Poor Heisman fan.

Iowa State fans are fun. I wish they'd travel to Norman more. But, I know it's kind of far.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/2/2012, 09:57 AM
My highlight from the game:

A bored badger stands around in band, being very bored with yet another beatdown when all of the sudden, an odd figure walks by... it's a guy dressed as a Seneca Wallace Heisman Trophy! Gold paint and everything! Seriously, this ISU fan was COMPLETELY gold. It was pretty cool, but tee hee, all dressed (painted?) up for a 49-3 loss. Poor Heisman fan.

Iowa State fans are fun. I wish they'd travel to Norman more. But, I know it's kind of far.

My highlight from that game is that the punter for Iowa State shanked a punt so bad, it went in to the band and I caught it, so I have an official punt catch in college football! HAHA!

Seriously though, Wallace is the one person who lost the Heisman when he came to town. That was total domination by us.

badger
11/2/2012, 10:03 AM
My highlight from that game is that the punter for Iowa State shanked a punt so bad, it went in to the band and I caught it, so I have an official punt catch in college football! HAHA!

Seriously though, Wallace is the one person who lost the Heisman when he came to town. That was total domination by us.

That was the season of the...um... heh... you know... Fresno State... um... hehe... yeah... right? So did the director track you down and ensure that the ball made a speedy return to Iowa State, I assume? :P

BoulderSooner79
11/2/2012, 10:28 AM
I'll have to say AD. Dang, I'm glad he played for us, but if he had gone to school with a solid power running game, he would have won a couple of statues. Should have won it his FR year anyway.

Jeronimo
11/2/2012, 10:35 AM
Wasn't Colorado's RB also somewhat of a heisman contender in 2002? I think his name was Brown. I seem to remember some hype around him, but I think he did get just over 100 rushing yards against us in another dominate OU performance that game.

rock on sooner
11/2/2012, 11:15 AM
McDaniel had a better shot at the Heisman than Wallace did because
Mizzou was higher ranked. The beatdown that McDaniel got hurt him
more, imo.

goingoneight
11/2/2012, 12:00 PM
Not only did we end it for Daniel, we caused him to completely melt down on National television. Anybody else remember him throwing his head panties and screaming out F-bombs with cameras on him after OU had frustrated him for three quarters?

sluggo sooner
11/2/2012, 12:10 PM
The Sooners were so dominant against Iowa State/Wallace that ABC cut to another game after the first half.

8timechamps
11/2/2012, 12:20 PM
Honestly, I don't think Wallace was really ever much of a threat to win it. I know his name was being mixed in there, but didn't that team finish with several losses?

I went with Sims.

badger
11/2/2012, 12:30 PM
Honestly, I don't think Wallace was really ever much of a threat to win it. I know his name was being mixed in there, but didn't that team finish with several losses?

I went with Sims.

Yes he was (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/whitlock/021017.html), much like RG3 last year (except a magical bounce gave them a victory over OU)

But I agree with your Sims vote as well.
http://media-cache-ec5.pinterest.com/upload/232287293250772168_SgAQqHfY_b.jpg
REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN VOTE FOR MORE THAN ONE IF YOU WANT!

8timechamps
11/2/2012, 12:35 PM
Yes he was (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/whitlock/021017.html), much like RG3 last year (except a magical bounce gave them a victory over OU)

A lot of guys are in and out of the mix during the season, I never thought Wallace had a shot.

Also, it seems like every Heisman trophy winner has their "Heisman moment" somewhere during the season. It's usually in a big game, against a good team. RGIII's was the long TD agaisnt us. Sam's was the flip at the goalline against O-state. I wonder what Klein's will be (the late TD run against us?).

OUTrumpet
11/2/2012, 12:39 PM
02 October was destructive towards Heisman candidates. Had 1 a week. Ran into Chris Simms (what did he do, 3 or 4 picks?), Seneca Wallace who was touted as the next Vick and he had more ints than completions, and Chris Brown, the running back from CU who had never been held to under 100 or out of the endzone...till us.

Pricetag
11/2/2012, 12:56 PM
I'll have to say AD. Dang, I'm glad he played for us, but if he had gone to school with a solid power running game, he would have won a couple of statues. Should have won it his FR year anyway.
I know we're down on our ability to run the ball these past couple of years, but we were pretty reliant on and capable of running the football in 2005 and 2006. It wasn't all AD, either. When he went down for most of 2006, Allen Patrick did very well.

BoulderSooner79
11/2/2012, 01:02 PM
I know we're down on our ability to run the ball these past couple of years, but we were pretty reliant on and capable of running the football in 2005 and 2006. It wasn't all AD, either. When he went down for most of 2006, Allen Patrick did very well.

Yeah, we weren't bad and injuries had a lot to do with it. But I watched some horn games when they had Benson and I couldn't believe how many times the Oline cleared out 4-5 yards before Benson was even touched. When AD came along, I thought jeez, if he had blocking like that he would average 10yd/carry and break 3000 for the year. As I said, thank goodness he was a Sooner.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/2/2012, 01:34 PM
That was the season of the...um... heh... you know... Fresno State... um... hehe... yeah... right? So did the director track you down and ensure that the ball made a speedy return to Iowa State, I assume? :P

Haha, wasn't me. I never stole anything...plus, you can't steal a ball that everyone saw go in, so I gave it back. I was a good boy in band.

nativesooner
11/2/2012, 02:02 PM
02 October was destructive towards Heisman candidates. Had 1 a week. Ran into Chris Simms (what did he do, 3 or 4 picks?), Seneca Wallace who was touted as the next Vick and he had more ints than completions, and Chris Brown, the running back from CU who had never been held to under 100 or out of the endzone...till us.

Great call... I remember seeing a sign at the Colorado game that looked similar to this...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/nativesooner/heismanhopes.jpg

That was a dang good year! Even though we lost to Pokey.

badger
11/2/2012, 02:15 PM
Haha, wasn't me. I never stole anything...plus, you can't steal a ball that everyone saw go in, so I gave it back. I was a good boy in band.

Oh I know it wasn't you. And I checked - that game was in 2003, not 2002. So, it was still safe to have souvenirs that season. After 2003? I remember a practice pregame punt landing in our @ KSU pep band. The director ran in back to the team after the game was over. I remember seeing the OU trainer he handed it to have a face that said "We have billions of these and you suckers pay $50+ for them at the campus corner stores. And you're returning one that we'll never miss. Suckers!"

cjames317
11/2/2012, 02:24 PM

"Please Mr. Wilkerson, don't hurt me?"

Prolly my favorite SI cover, even over the swimsuit editions.

sooneredaco
11/2/2012, 07:01 PM
I can tell you about a guy that single handedly gave it to!! RGIII and now possibly Teo and Klein.... We need to get back to the old days. Just sayin.....

sooneron
11/2/2012, 08:54 PM
Kingsbury was getting some serious buzz in 02...

picasso
11/2/2012, 11:28 PM
I can tell you about a guy that single handedly gave it to!! RGIII and now possibly Teo and Klein.... We need to get back to the old days. Just sayin.....
I think we're on the right path. Nobody has put up any RG3 type numbers on us just yet.

XingTheRubicon
11/3/2012, 12:26 AM
David Ash

OUTromBoNado
11/3/2012, 03:51 PM
Haha, wasn't me. I never stole anything...plus, you can't steal a ball that everyone saw go in, so I gave it back. I was a good boy in band...to the point that I never got caught.

FIFY

OUmillenium
11/3/2012, 11:26 PM
Seneca Wallace came to mind immediately. I was at the cold, misty game when Brandon Everage was lowering the boom on him.

Sooner70
11/4/2012, 07:57 AM
I was going to say Tony Dorsett, but he did win the Heisman. Still, he got knocked on his butt & I think was taken out of the game when he brought his much ballyhooed self & the Pittsburg Panthers to Norman for a game long ago.

Salt City Sooner
11/4/2012, 08:17 AM
OU destroyed Pitt in '75; Dorsett won his statue (& the MNC) in '76.

mdklatt
11/4/2012, 07:46 PM
Great call... I remember seeing a sign at the Colorado game that looked similar to this...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/nativesooner/heismanhopes.jpg

Remember when CU fielded a football team? Good times.

bluedogok
11/4/2012, 07:58 PM
Remember when CU fielded a football team? Good times.
Aren't they playing intramural football now?
Sure looks like it...

King Crimson
11/6/2012, 06:15 PM
Kingsbury was getting some serious buzz in 02...

i was going to post the same thing. however, i'd say we get some serious cred for getting Eric Crouch the H....on that throwback play.

whoever posted that the network cut away from the ISU/Senaca Wallace game was right.....i was just settling in for a good-time azz-whoop and they cut away.

so many good beers wasted i have no doubt.

King Crimson
11/6/2012, 06:21 PM
the beatdown we put on "#1 Missouri" was enjoyable. though, i think it was Chase Daniel.

badger
11/7/2012, 09:44 AM
the beatdown we put on "#1 Missouri" was enjoyable. though, i think it was Chase Daniel.

Yes, sorry. I just grew so used to calling him McBooger that I started thinking of him as McDaniel, but I'm glad you all know who I'm talking about. Mr. Head Pantie himself :P