PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Study

8timechamps
10/31/2012, 03:29 PM
Anyone ever have one?

I finally bit the bullet and had a sleep study (last night). My doctor recently had me wear a pulse/oxygen monitor overnight, and after he saw the report, recommended I do a sleep study. I've chronicled my battle with insomnia here over the years, so I finally decided to do something about it.

First, between the zillions of wires and electrodes they hooked me up to, and the fact that I was in a strange bed, I (predictably) slept horribly. I was able to take Ambien, but even with that, I didn't sleep well. About half way through the night, the technician woke me and had me put on a CPAP mask. The problem is I kept breathing through my mouth, so they would have to wake me up and tell me to breath through my nose. Weird.

Anyway, this morning, the doctor said "well, we will probably have to have you come back for another study because we're not sure the CPAP you used was the right one". Frustrating.

Does anyone wear a CPAP? Had any luck with it?

OUmillenium
10/31/2012, 10:53 PM
I know a few guys who say its the best thing they have ever done. The old fatigue is gone. One guy lost about 50 lbs in a few months. He had the extra energy to exercise all the time.

Thinking about doing it. I have not been a solid sleeper the last 10 years, I just turned 40.

Cheerin' 4 OU
11/1/2012, 01:26 AM
I had a sleep study almost a year ago after fighting over 20 years of not being able to sleep.

Seeing the doctor was no pleasant task (the guy just wasn't even slightly friendly or understanding), but he sent me in for a sleep study during the day time because my sleeping schedule was so messed up that I couldn't sleep at night any more.

They hooked me up to over a dozen wires on my head and on my chest and even on my legs, and they allowed me to do what I normally do in order to try to fall asleep like reading a little bit or watching a little tv, and they told me that I could take a sleeping pill if I needed to (which I didn't, because by the time I made it to my sleep study, I had already been up 24 hours) and then they put me in an extremely comfortable Tempurpedic bed. The next thing they did was told me that they had a night camera on me so that they could watch me sleep, and they told me that if I happened to wake up in the middle of the night, all I had to do was wave my hand, they'd come into the room and unhook me to make my bathroom run or whatever and then they had me help them test the monitoring setup before they left me alone to sleep.

That night, I think I woke up once and then went back to sleep again and was awakened in time to go home for dinner (they'll wake you up in time for work in the overnight studies too). They provide a shower, even, for you to use to get dressed for work (which I recommend taking advantage of, because the glue stuff they put on the little nodes is absolutely disgusting in your hair and it's hard to get out).

I'm not sure if I went back the next day or if it was a week later. That night, they had me try different sleeping masks for a CPAP that they were going to hook me up to to sleep in. There were 3 different types and several different sizes for me to try on before I settled on the nasal pillows (little half-inch sized hollow cushions under my nostrils) to sleep in.

The second visit (day visit) was AMAZING! I slept solidly through the entire test and for once, I did not wake up with my usual headache, either.

Since then, I've had to take my CPAP machine in to where I got my machine in order to download the sleeping statistics for insurance purposes, and my doctor (who had suddenly become quite friendly) wanted the results too, so he had me bring in my machine for downloading info. I've taken the machine in exactly twice to have the info downloaded.

As far as sleeping in a CPAP is concerned, there are some people that can not stand it. Some feel claustrophobic, and some just can't stand the idea with sleeping with a mask over their head and face. Some people complain that their machines are too loud or they make the room too hot, but the new ones are almost entirely silent (as long as you don't need oxygen when you sleep), and I absolutely wish my CPAP would warm my room up because it's like a freezer in there sometimes.

I have a young nephew here and I was worried about what he would think if he happened to see me wearing my mask, but I've learned to make a big game out of it with him (I pretend that my mask exists because I'm some famous fighter pilot, and it brings much laughter), and I have another friend who pretends his mask instantly turns him into Darth Vader. Also, you can customize the way some machines look in order to match your bedroom's decore if you're worried about it. Mine usually requires roughly 2 gallons of distilled water each month to get me through, and I'm able to travel just fine with it.

In the end, I gotta say that I absolutely have thrived now that I've gotten on my CPAP machine. I, too, have lost weight and I no longer feel dragged down. No more insomnia. No more tossing and turning. No more headaches. No more choking in my sleep. No more dark circles under my eyes. It's easily one of the best things I've done in order to feel good in general. My memory even improved. My only complaint I had at all was that I had difficulty finding the perfect mask or nasal pillows to use and still sleep comfortably. I ended up getting just a tiny mask that covers up my nose, and since it's normal for me to pull the covers up tightly against my chin, my blankets and sleep position automatically keep my mouth closed.

I guess the tl;dr version of this is just to say: DO IT! You'll thank you're doc for making you do it when all is said and done.

cleller
11/1/2012, 08:12 AM
Guess you've already tried the melatonin and valerian routines.

One or the other is all I've ever needed to drop off.

Breadburner
11/1/2012, 08:31 AM
Have you tried wanking it right before bed....???

Lott's Bandana
11/1/2012, 09:24 AM
CPAP = Saved My Life

Any questions?

8timechamps
11/1/2012, 10:16 PM

Yeah, this went waaaay beyond that kind of thing. I stop breathing on and off throughout the night, which wakes me up often. I'll be on a CPAP, just not sure which kind.

8timechamps
11/1/2012, 10:17 PM
Have you tried wanking it right before bed....???

Well, not solo sessions. But, yeah, I've tested that theory a lot with my gf (I tell her it's for scientific research). No help.

Tailwind
11/7/2012, 10:16 AM
I have had several sleep studies. I'm supposed to do the cpap but I cannot tolerate it.

jk the sooner fan
11/7/2012, 10:17 AM
CPAP = Saved My Life

Any questions?

this

i'm not sure i'd use 'saved my life' - but definitely has made a HUGE difference

jk the sooner fan
11/7/2012, 10:18 AM

that all has nothing to do with sleep apnea

Lott's Bandana
11/7/2012, 06:49 PM
this

i'm not sure i'd use 'saved my life' - but definitely has made a HUGE difference

For me:

Lowered my blood pressure
Eliminated acid reflux
Eliminated the afternoon nap...while driving. But seriously, I don't feel like I'm slipping into a coma every afternoon at 2:45pm.

I got over the Darth Vader sleeping partner anxiety quickly as well, when I realized every one of my sleepover friends didn't mind hearing the breathing instead of snoring. What?? I snore??!!

My machine has been to the Philippines, Taiwan and soon...Vietnam. I should get stamps for it, like the old-time suitcases once did.

fadada1
11/8/2012, 04:36 PM
Thinking about doing it. I have not been a solid sleeper the last 10 years, I just turned 40.

right there with you (i'm 41). been trying the ZZZQuil with some success, but only decent for about 4 hours. tried melatonin - very limited success. also tried velerian (sp) root - some success. god forbid there isn't a fan in the room. if i had to sleep in perfect silence, i'd be nuts - navy days did that to me. thing is, i can get what i think is a crappy night sleep, and feel fine all day. so, i must be doing OK for the limited time i'm actually sleeping.

what i wouldn't give for 6 hours of solid sleep each night....

Lott's Bandana
11/8/2012, 05:08 PM
right there with you (i'm 41). been trying the ZZZQuil with some success, but only decent for about 4 hours. tried melatonin - very limited success. also tried velerian (sp) root - some success. god forbid there isn't a fan in the room. if i had to sleep in perfect silence, i'd be nuts - navy days did that to me. thing is, i can get what i think is a crappy night sleep, and feel fine all day. so, i must be doing OK for the limited time i'm actually sleeping.

what i wouldn't give for 6 hours of solid sleep each night....

Man, I am so there with you. I can't sleep in quiet after 20 years on submarines...somebody slam a locker or at least fart!

The CPAP makes perfect white noise. I forgot it Tuesday night when I overnighted in Clinton...damn stoopid of me.

jk the sooner fan
11/8/2012, 05:35 PM
the melatonin, etc - doesnt help sleep apnea

that helps you fall asleep

the problem with sleep apnea is that during the night, you stop breathing - so your body "wakes you up" to kick start the breathing - this is a subtle thing that you typically wouldnt notice as a single event (unless you have a severe case)....but over the course of a night - you do that 50 to 100 times and you wake up feeling like hammered dog ****

the cpap doesnt help you fall asleep any fasther than anything else - it gives you restful sleep once you get there

the difference in how i feel when i wake up now compared to before is night and day.......no more headaches, et al

StoopTroup
11/8/2012, 05:41 PM
My Wife and my BIL have had the studies and a few guys I work with as well.

Wife was fine. BIL had to get the CPAP and it was about 50-50 with the guys at work too. If you have to use the CPAP....any of you...I feel badly for you. My BIL has gotten used to it...My Sister...not so much. She sometimes feels like she's living with Darth Vader.

fadada1
11/8/2012, 09:47 PM
Man, I am so there with you. I can't sleep in quiet after 20 years on submarines...somebody slam a locker or at least fart!

The CPAP makes perfect white noise. I forgot it Tuesday night when I overnighted in Clinton...damn stoopid of me.
Nothing better than sleeping while underway in moderate seas. Like a big, noisy, rumbling cradle. Best sleep EVAR.

nutinbutdust
11/8/2012, 10:54 PM
I had asleep study done one year ago. Couldn't sleep at all in the strange surroundings with all the wires and nasal cannula. Went back after the sleep study and the attitude was meh.... You might need a cpap or able to use a dental appliance. Went to the dentist, she looked at my sleep study and asked me why I was there, she said I needed a cpap. I blew it off. Continued feeling like poop in the afternoon. Always felt like I needed an energy drink or something after lunch... Well fast forward to sept 20th.... I had my knee replaced with titanium and plastic. When they had me on narcotics in the hospital my sleep apnea made my blood oxygen count go below 80 and it set off the monitors. They put me on oxygen every night until I left. I went to see another "sleep Dr."(Different clinic). He looked at at my sleep study and put me on a cpap. It took about 3 nights to get used to it. I have been using it for about 4 weeks now, but the difference is incredible. I have energy again. I am still trying to work the bugs out on the mask. On the third one still having some leaks showing on the data, but I am sure I will get it worked out.

jk the sooner fan
11/8/2012, 11:19 PM
i remember my sleep study - the mask they had me using was WAYYY more obstructive than the nasal pillow thing i use now - its pretty tiny compared to the one in the sleep lab

i think they'd have more success convincing folks that the cpap was doable if they showed the other options

Collier11
11/9/2012, 12:01 AM
Well, not solo sessions. But, yeah, I've tested that theory a lot with my gf (I tell her it's for scientific research). No help.

thats your problem dummy, let her do it and you arent burning enough energy :D

nutinbutdust
11/9/2012, 09:51 AM
I wanted to say to 8-time, I don't think they had the wrong cpap, probably the wrong mask. I started with one that covered my mouth and nose. Had some air leakage problems. Then they gave me a tiny one that covered my nose only. Had problems with that because sometimes I breath through my mouth. They have me back on a different brand that covers my mouth and nose. I am hard to fit, because I have a beard and the Mrs. doesn't want me to shave it.

8timechamps
11/9/2012, 12:55 PM
I wanted to say to 8-time, I don't think they had the wrong cpap, probably the wrong mask. I started with one that covered my mouth and nose. Had some air leakage problems. Then they gave me a tiny one that covered my nose only. Had problems with that because sometimes I breath through my mouth. They have me back on a different brand that covers my mouth and nose. I am hard to fit, because I have a beard and the Mrs. doesn't want me to shave it.

Thanks for the info! My machine will be here today, and theyre sending two masks (one for just the nose, and one that covers the mouth too). Then they will walk me through testing both of them (which I think I can probably figure out). I have facial hair too, and have had it for 15+ years, I can't bring myself to shave it.

Lott's Bandana
11/9/2012, 04:05 PM
Nasal pillows.

My goatee wrecks every other option.

I used to open my mouth, but somehow I've stopped doing that and sleep very well with the pillows.

StoopTroup
11/9/2012, 05:36 PM
Well fast forward to sept 20th.... I had my knee replaced with titanium and plastic. When they had me on narcotics in the hospital my sleep apnea made my blood oxygen count go below 80 and it set off the monitors. They put me on oxygen every night until I left.

Scary huh? Some people think everyone can tolerate narcotics. For me it's no laughing matter. Glad you found out what the problem was. Hope you get it all dialed in soon.