PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that hates the Heisman trophy?

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2012, 04:19 PM
Oh, it's wonderful to have a few statues in the park and have an unbridled Billy Sims yelling Boomer! at the presentation.

But I really hate helping other candidates get a trip to NYC. How many times did they show RG3's last second TD against us at the presentation last year?

If Klein or Te'o win it this year, how many times will plays from OU games be featured at the run up to the awards ceremony?

I really liked it better when playing OU was the best way to kill your Heisman chances.

OU_Sooners75
10/29/2012, 04:27 PM
Well you could also look at it as a compliment too.

Without beating OU you don't win it! LOL

That said, I have lost a lot of respect for that trophy in the last dozen years or so. Because it is suppose to be an award for the Most Outstanding Player in the nation. But rarely is.

Its more of an award that goes to the Most Outstanding Offensive Skill Player on a winning team.

The Heisman Trophy needs to do away with the Media and Fan voters. They need to go strictly to past winners and the Board of the organization to determine a winner for it.

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2012, 05:05 PM
Yes, the Heisman has many elements of a popularity contest and has been that way for some time.

I was just venting at the thought of Klein's TD run against us and Te'os interception (or non-interception) being shown a zillion time come Heisman week.

Or maybe they'll stumble and it will all be about Barkley, McCarron and Thomas again. sigh.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/29/2012, 06:25 PM
I haven't cared much about it since I was a kid.

MichiganSooner
10/30/2012, 07:21 PM
I get tired of the media yakking about it especially early in the season. All the hype toward Geno is an example. Just let the players play. And it has become an award to the most outstanding offensive skill player rather than the best player in college football.

fadada1
10/30/2012, 08:45 PM
when i run for president... one of the most important positions i'll take is this - if any media outlet says "heisman trophy" before the first game of the year... $50 million fine. say it again, your license gets pulled for 2 weeks. 3rd time mentioning the heisman before october 1st, you're banned from playing a college football game on your network for a full year.

i'm coming at you espn, cbs, fox, and the notre dame network. don't screw this up... it might cost you.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/30/2012, 08:51 PM
Paul Hornung. What a sham. The wrong guy wins most of the time.

Salt City Sooner
10/30/2012, 08:58 PM
I followed it in a curious way up until '09 when Suh got royally screwed. That guy was the very definition of the player that award is described to be awarded to, & for him to have not won it just turned on my Don't Give a Flip Anymore Meter in a big way.

SoonerinSouthlake
10/30/2012, 09:17 PM
I followed it in a curious way up until '09 when Suh got royally screwed. That guy was the very definition of the player that award is described to be awarded to, & for him to have not won it just turned on my Don't Give a Flip Anymore Meter in a big way.

Maybe the "football gods" realized that he was going to become such a dirty playing jackass in the NFL that they didnt want him to have it, tarnishing the trophy.

TitoMorelli
10/30/2012, 10:10 PM
I don't mind clips of Heisman candidates making plays against us nearly so much as I mind freakin' Boise St. Fiesta Bowl highlights.

allanace16
10/31/2012, 02:19 AM
I don't mind clips of Heisman candidates making plays against us nearly so much as I mind freakin' Boise St. Fiesta Bowl highlights.

Holy hell, ain't that the damn truth.

And I think OU is about 50-50 on boosting/ruining Heisman candidates so I'm indifferent. You just remember the ones that got boosted from OU cause OU is usually the hardest game they'll play that year so that's why you get the highlights. Like banging the prom queen instead of the uggos on the rest of their schedule.