PDA

View Full Version : I got a question for all those that are ticked off about losing to ND...

OU_Sooners75
10/29/2012, 02:59 PM
...and even KSU.

But first, after last season, going back as far as before our bowl game, we all witnessed some team turmoil going on in Norman.

We saw Mike Stoops being hired back after Martinez got booted (or he decided to go elsewhere). We saw Brent Venables get butt hurt and left for Clemson.
We saw players being dismissed off the team. We saw some players leave early for the NFL and some transfer.

We then saw some players get suspended forwhatever the reasons.

That said, we came into the season with high expectations. Then we witnessed losing two OL starters before the season even began. We saw some more suspensions and scholarships being yanked.

We then start the season with less than 85 players on scholarship. We struggled vs. UTEP and even FAMU to a point.

My question(s):

Don't some of you that are talking crap and being very negative, take some of what happened before our bowl game last seaon all the way up to the first kickoff of the 2012 season believe, that some of the turmoil has caused this season to be what it is?

Widescreen
10/29/2012, 03:02 PM
Of course. However, we were lulled into a sense of overachievement by the previous 3 weeks. It seemed like we had moved past our early season struggles. The truth is, we've improved but the teams we were playing just aren't very good. Now we know.

Kadosh
10/29/2012, 03:06 PM
I blame the media. They're constantly ranking us in the pre-season top 5 and getting my expectations up.

OU_Sooners75
10/29/2012, 03:11 PM
That or we did improve, but ND and KSU are just better, or at least more experienced than we are?

I was pissed after the KSU loss because of how we lost. We flat out were pathetic in that game.

Against ND we got beat. We played damn near flawlessly and got beat. Would I like to have seens some different things or better things, you bet. But our offense did what the defense gave us.

And with less than 6 minutes to go we are tied.

That all said, I agree with those that say we need a new offensive scheme. We need to go to a ball controlling offense.

But I think a lot of our problems on the season aren't landry jones or our defense, but our coping with less scholaship players and trying to heal from the attitude that plagued this team last year, and maybe even beyond.

And after the game with ND, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to never see Kenny Stills on the field.

If Stoops is going to keep Metoyer and Finch off the field for whatever reason, then he needs to keep Stills off the field the rest of the season for his punk *** attitude last game!

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2012, 03:18 PM
Absolutely all that turmoil is part of where the team is today. But I didn't have high expectations for all the reasons discussed here before the season started - weak in the trenches, no experience at WR outside Stills, average LBs, etc. We got fortunate at WR with Brown and Saunders coming in and Shepard able to contribute as a true FR, but all the other weaknesses are still there. I just hope the turmoil part is really solved and I always thought Martinez caused some of that and i was glad that Stoops canned him (yes, he was canned).

I still like what I see with M. Stoops back and if we can develop some players and that whole turmoil thing doesn't rear it's ugly head, I see us returning to the elite ranks on a consistent basis. Off field and locker room distractions can sink a team no matter how much talent they have.

OU_Sooners75
10/29/2012, 03:18 PM
I blame the media. They're constantly ranking us in the pre-season top 5 and getting my expectations up.

You cannot reasonably blame the media. Maybe you should follow OU more closely than from the ESPN NCF front page, or soonersports, or the newspaper.

You can get a lot of good info from sites like rivals or other pay services. These sites have reporters or inside people that only share with those that pay, well beyond recruiting news.

I pay for it, and I honestly got the idea of a 2-3 loss season this year besides what the media was saying.

The losses in my mind before the season could have came from: KSU, ND, WVU, Texas, and OSU. I didn't think we would lose to them all though.

That said, this team is very good. Its not a top 5 team, or NC caliber team. But they are very good.

Hell we aren't a rushing team, and we scored the only rushing TD vs. ND this year so far, so that's a plus! :-)

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2012, 03:23 PM

I was shocked we were pre-season top 5 by the media. But in no way did that alter my expectations. ;)

TUSooner
10/29/2012, 03:30 PM
I kinda see your point, there '75. But I'm just sad whenever we lose, whether there's a "good" reason or not, and whether we're moving in the right direction or not. I don't think we're "bad", and we lost to 2 really good teams (though we shoulda beat KSU). And maybe that off-season turmoil has put some garbage behind us and got us going in the right direction. That being said, we're not "good enough" for OU Football until we win the tough ones!! (And I say that as cheerfully as possible.) :joyous:

Tear Down This Wall
10/29/2012, 03:31 PM
Both games were winnable. Their players - and, coaches - played like they wanted it more.

And...both were losses at home. On our turf, where we supposedly had some sort of advantage.

After sitting through both of those games, I accept Kansas State in that we had two fatal errors - the fumble in the end zone, and the failure to stop K-State from scoring after the Belldozer fumble left them 90+ yards from the end zone.

The Notre Dame game was wholly different. Once, the kid ran 62-yards for the score, the team seemed on its heels defensively. And, it played out throughout the rest of the game - lots of third and shorts for Notre Dame, almost 50% of third downs converted.

They are no more talented than we are - they played smarter and their coaches patiently stayed within their game plan. Ours were scrambling to get plays and players in. The penalty on the defense for running the guy off late - stupid.

The 62-yard run got into Stoops & Co.'s head. In short, Notre Dame, took our field goal, punched us in the mouth, and our coaching staff went Mack Brown on them.

badger
10/29/2012, 03:34 PM
I really don't have much personal investment in the program and the winning, beyond the fact that my degree is from OU and I occasionally attend games and watch them on TV.

However, this loss seemed to really bother lots of Sooner fans for it's historical significance and the fact that it decisively knocked OU out of the national championship hunt. At home. Decisively.

I'm not going to be angry about football losses. I'm not the one getting judged by thousands for making millions whether the team wins or loses, nor am I the one cutting those big checks to foot those big salaries. If they decided to cut Stoops lose and hire a local high school coach for far less money, charge hundreds more face value for tickets and raise tuition to pay for a 200,000 stadium... it wouldn't impact me personally in the least.

So, I was ticked (or rather, saddened) because many others were, not because I personally was impacted by the loss.

aero
10/29/2012, 03:39 PM
Every year I anxiously await the season, thinking we have a shot at number 8. The polls usually have us near the top which only fuels my hopes of a great season. I read all the hype and desperately want to believe it all. But I try to dampen my expectations knowing that the polls typically are based on expectations of traditional powers and currently successful programs. Every year, almost all college teams change. Just the loss of 1 player to graduation or the NFL can change the dynamic of a team. There have been a few years since 2000 that I really thought we had the team. Most of those years I thought we could but didn't expect it. This was one of those "hope but not expect it" years. I'm always disappointed when OU loses but I'm not that surprised.

OU_Sooners75
10/29/2012, 03:39 PM
I understand that TUSooner.

But what does it take to satisfy your craving?

Undefeated seasons? We only have 18 of them in our history.
National Championships? We only have 7 of them?
Conference Titles? We have 43 of them.

10+ win seasons? We have 32 of them (most in the nation).

So average all that out. We win a conference title once every 3 seasons (rounded up).

We average a national championship every 17 seasons (rounded up).

We average a 10+ win season every 4 seasons (rounded up).

Yes, OU is built on tradition and excellence. Not to mention championships. But they don't happen every season either.

I would much rather go through this down period of Stoops than anything we had to experience leading up to Stoops hiring.

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2012, 04:05 PM
From '09 - '11 I didn't think we were moving in the right direction - especially with all the players leaving the program last year. At least this season with Mike returning and Martinez leaving, I at least believe in the direction again. I am concerned about to low number of verbal commits we have so far for the '13 class. I hope that is just a fluke of timing and not indicative of a real problem.

OU_Sooners75
10/29/2012, 04:13 PM
From '09 - '11 I didn't think we were moving in the right direction - especially with all the players leaving the program last year. At least this season with Mike returning and Martinez leaving, I at least believe in the direction again. I am concerned about to low number of verbal commits we have so far for the '13 class. I hope that is just a fluke of timing and not indicative of a real problem.

We are about right where we usually are when it comes to verbal commits this year.

Dominique Alexander may end up being our next one.
Justin Manning will eventually tell us he plans on coming here.

The rest are taking awhile because a lot of what OU is looking for. The OL and DL recruits, especially the OL, takes a bit to offer and get committed. It is just part of what the staff does. They want to make sure they are getting quality when those kids are Seniors in high school.

Anyway, the recruiting is on track like it is every year. May be a little smaller right now due to the heavy need of OL and DL.

Also, OU is/will be going heavy into the JUCOs this year from a line stand point trying to get some quick fixes.

cvsooner
10/29/2012, 04:13 PM
I don't think the 62 yard run got into their heads. I do think the 50 yard pass completion did to some extent. I also know we got completely jobbed on the non-called pass interference and the erroneously-ruled interception, followed by the field goal that essentially ended the game.

What I don't understand is Brennan Clay's two drops on a third down and on a fourth down. Had to have 'em. Both of 'em. One of them resulted in us kicking a field goal. The other resulted in turning the ball over on downs. That pretty much sealed it right there.

I know there's a lot of talk about the Cali trio...Jefferson has been terrific, all in all. Stills is hot and cold. Clay has been...disappointing to me.

cvsooner
10/29/2012, 04:14 PM
Final thought. This is just a Stoops slump...much like the Switzer slump from about 1980 until 1984. It will pass.

OU_Sooners75
10/29/2012, 04:18 PM
Clay hasn't been disappointing to me. He has however been inconsistent.

I'm trying to figure out why we haven't seen Whaley the last couple of games, is he hurt? Why no finch? Well I know why, or at least heard why. But come on. There are some great talents not being played because they may slack off in the weight room, yet play great in game time.

And that stems a lot from Schmitty. He has too much pull with Bob Stoops. And if a kid isn't meeting Schmittys expectations then he tells Bob about it. And the kid doesn't play much.

Oh well.

rock on sooner
10/29/2012, 04:22 PM

As a looonnnggg time Sooner fan, I was glad to see Stoops put his foot
down with the internal stuff. So many of the players felt entitled, just
because they were Sooners on scholarship. That attitude was pervasive
and contagious. I think Mike Stoops will have a kiiler D, maybe later this
year but next year for certain. LJ has a Broyles type connection with
Saunders and Shepard, so Stills can go be a decoy. Bell will have the
entire off-season, spring and summer to step up his passing game.

Keep in mind that while we have two losses, those are to the #2 & #3
teams in the country. With some help we can still win the conference.
Even if we don't, win out and we can still get a BCS bowl, because KSU
has a great shot at a NC. I'd rather go to the Sugar Bowl than the Fiesta
but either is pretty special. Do that and Stoops and company will have
a lot of very good talent for 2013 and beyond!

Oh, btw, this is 60th year of yelling for (and at) the Sooners.....

ELP Sooner
10/29/2012, 04:29 PM
This feels more like Dr. Tom Vs Barry Switzer. Now we are in the role of Nebraska. All regimented, stiff, well coached, overrated, great NFL combines and scared to make a mistake. It's frustrating because we all have seen how close OU is and coming up short time and again is really disheartening. I wish this team had a little more of a "let's make a play" type of mentality and a little less expecting perfect execution. How that is done? I have no idea. I know some have credited Nebraska breaking through to recruting more "gangster types". If that is true, was it worth it?

OU_Sooners75
10/29/2012, 04:30 PM
If we make a BCS bowl, and KSU and Bama make the National Championship game. I hope, in a way, that we get the Fiesta draw.

Could be a rematch between us and Notre Dame!

Phil
10/29/2012, 04:38 PM
If we make a BCS bowl, and KSU and Bama make the National Championship game. I hope, in a way, that we get the Fiesta draw.

Could be a rematch between us and Notre Dame!

If Oregon makes the title game, that will mean USCw has three losses, which means that we have a shot at the Rose Bowl, especially if Nebbish wins the B1G.

agoo758
10/29/2012, 04:38 PM
Let's be honest..... this is the best defense we have had in ten years and will be one of the best next year.

Right now, they are not at the point were they play at the top level when having to be on the field the majority of the time, but they will be by next year.

We have got incredible depth at RB and WR and will next that whoever is the next qb will be walking into a great situation.

Sure, we havn't got everything we wanted this year after some coaching changes and roster adjustments, but these things take time. Let's not forget that Bill Snyder lost to UL Lafayette his first year back.

I predict that us running over the Big 12 next year and making a run at the NC, and this is coming from a guy who wasn't very optimistic this year and wasn't as optimistic as everyone was in 2011.

OU_Sooners75
10/29/2012, 04:49 PM
If Oregon makes the title game, that will mean USCw has three losses, which means that we have a shot at the Rose Bowl, especially if Nebbish wins the B1G.

The Rose would be sweet. But I like our chances if we had an opportunity for a rematch vs. ND.

But playing in the rose would be pretty sweet too. Specially if its against Nebraska, or even Michigan!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/29/2012, 05:11 PM
We used to have a thread before the season called "How much are we overrated by?"

cleller
10/29/2012, 05:16 PM
...and even KSU.

But first, after last season, going back as far as before our bowl game, we all witnessed some team turmoil going on in Norman.

We saw Mike Stoops being hired back after Martinez got booted (or he decided to go elsewhere). We saw Brent Venables get butt hurt and left for Clemson.
We saw players being dismissed off the team. We saw some players leave early for the NFL and some transfer.

That said, we came into the season with high expectations. Then we witnessed losing two OL starters before the season even began. We saw some more suspensions and scholarships being yanked.

We then start the season with less than 85 players on scholarship. We struggled vs. UTEP and even FAMU to a point.

My question(s):

Don't some of you that are talking crap and being very negative, take some of what happened before our bowl game last seaon all the way up to the first kickoff of the 2012 season believe, that some of the turmoil has caused this season to be what it is?

I agree with you on most things, but I am ticked off about the loss. Mostly, because of things very difficult to control, like injuries, the suspensions, lack of leadership among the players. Still, it is frustrating that these things come to pass when this game we had been waiting for so long comes to Norman. I can't help being disappointed.

I also don't believe we played "near flawlessly". The bad snap, long ND TD run, and the cancelled TD were mistakes that really damaged momentum severely. The crowd participation dropped dramatically after that, you could really feel it, which further helped ND. I think at halftime we had 6 penalties for 45 yards, not the way to win a tight game.

The situation at QB is a killer. Stoops has handled it in the only way he possibly can, but the inability of Landry to stretch plays on third down in this game was also a huge factor. Their QB could buy time, or run, which converted for them. Too often Landry quickly dumped off for little or no gain, and we didn't convert.

It does seem to me that the team is more solid than at the end of last year, but they could not compete with ND. ND was just better. That stings, too.

cvsooner
10/29/2012, 06:46 PM
Landry could also be a little more vocal on the field. He said at the press conference today he thought Saunders had been interfered with. He should've worked the refs a little--maybe even a lot--put his hands up and said, "Hey...what the hell was that?" Landry's too nice sometimes, or all the time...even with his own teammates.

We are somewhere between a pretty good team and a very good team, which is kinda remarkable considering we've got a makeshift offensive line decimated by injuries, a hot-and-cold QB, weak defensive tackles and clueless linebackers. Somehow this group has to learn how to play better and perhaps most importantly more consistently.

The bad snap(both of them) was symptomatic. I can see how it happens. It simply cannot happen again. The long TD run...falls mostly on the linebackers, though the weak tackles (and poor tackling) coupled with a hold on our best defender was a killer. The cancelled TD...eh...that's mostly on the official, in my book. Is it really holding when it doesn't affect the play? I suppose in a perfect world, yeah, but c'mon...the official couldn't find his flag until the extra point team is coming on the field?

cvsooner
10/29/2012, 06:49 PM
Would've been nice to have gotten Finch into the mix. The success Saunders was having should have been something of a clue. And I'm not one of those guys who think you have to be able to run the ball. During the wishbone days nobody said you have to be able to pass. And if you're passing enough, sooner or later a run will work. Landry scrambling once or twice would have been nice too. Notre Dame is beatable, especially with accurate officiating.

8timechamps
10/29/2012, 06:56 PM
That or we did improve, but ND and KSU are just better, or at least more experienced than we are?

I was pissed after the KSU loss because of how we lost. We flat out were pathetic in that game.

Against ND we got beat. We played damn near flawlessly and got beat. Would I like to have seens some different things or better things, you bet. But our offense did what the defense gave us.

And with less than 6 minutes to go we are tied.

That all said, I agree with those that say we need a new offensive scheme. We need to go to a ball controlling offense.

But I think a lot of our problems on the season aren't landry jones or our defense, but our coping with less scholaship players and trying to heal from the attitude that plagued this team last year, and maybe even beyond.

And after the game with ND, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to never see Kenny Stills on the field.

If Stoops is going to keep Metoyer and Finch off the field for whatever reason, then he needs to keep Stills off the field the rest of the season for his punk *** attitude last game!

I don't think Metoyer has done anything, nor is he being punished. He's just a victim of being a freshman on a very deep roster, and he is still improving. He'll get his time. As for Finch, I'm pissed at him. He can be such a game-changer, but apparently doesn't (or can't) put the work in to get time. I can't be upset with Stoops for sticking to his guns I respect his philosophy. As for Stills, I'm sure he dealt with some heat after the game, but it was a knee-jerk reaction at the end of a long, frustrating game. He's a kid, and sometimes kids are guilty of dumb knee-jerk reactions. I give him a pass this time.

Moving on to the season, I agree with everything you said in the first post. The truth is, none of us really know the extent of last year's issues. We know they had an impact, we know that they were dealt with, we know that the team appears to be moving forward. But, there's no question it put us in a hole.

We should have beaten KSU. We let that game get away. We were beaten by Notre Dame. Regardless, they are both very good teams, and there is no shame in losing to either of them.

I didn't expect a national title run this year, and anyone that cared to look close enough at this team knew there was little chance of one. I think we'll end up 11-2, and I would see that as a success.

Crimsontothecore
10/29/2012, 07:24 PM
...and even KSU.

My question(s):

But it seems like every year we have "issues" that are used to excuse poor performance and losses. Why is OU losing to teams that have nowhere near the stability OU should have at this point? Kstate was in shambles before Snyder came back and ND hasn't been a power in years. Why do they have it together so well that they can come to Norman and win? They are, in many ways, trying to find themselves again. Shouldn't OU, with a 14th year coach with over a decade of success be able to handle teams trying to rebuild their programs? Don't they have player issues? injuries? defections? Why does our competition over achieve while we underachieve? Things happen and I get that, but it's becoming a pattern.

OU_Sooners75
10/29/2012, 08:23 PM
It does seem like every year we have issues...because every year we have had issues.

This last one seemed like a case of entitlement...

Kids not putting in the time or effort.
Kids not going to class.
Kids partying it up and doing drugs.
Kids acting as if they aren't getting enough playing time, even without putting in the time or effort.

I know I said something about Finch not getting the playing time. But it isn't a practice issue with him. Its the weight lifting with him. And I think that just wrong....as long as he is doing the lifting, it should be at a rate he is comfortable, especially during the season.

Anyway, there have been issues. We are dealing with 18-23 year old kids.

And after the "cleansing" it does seem this team is headed in the right direction, but trying to fill that void left by the "cleansing".

VA Sooner
10/29/2012, 08:37 PM
I'm disappointed by the loss but I see this team playing better than last year's and with a lot more heart and a lot less attitude. Even the Still's PI... understandable to a certain degree with some of the frustration... it's the emotions of a competitive player but I was more disappointed in his lack of maturity by storming off the field instead of shaking hands with the team that outplayed them, but that's a separate issue.

Our secondary is covering much better... we got beat on two plays. The third and long plays that they converted in the second half, over and over again were just some pretty impressive throws to a 6'6" receiver covered by Colvin at 5'9' (and Colvin had him covered very well all night).

The front seven on defense needs help but we knew that from the beginning. For the most part, they have improved since the first game when that UTEP RB was running all over us right up the middle. I think this is where we need the most help/coaching in the upcoming games but I'm giving Mike more time to work with the current players... and I think 75 is right, we'll be combing out the JUCO's again like we did when we found that giant 6'8" Loadholt.

The offense... explosive with the spread but need more work in grinding out the yardage on the ground and in the trenches. The loss of Habern and Evans from the starting line hurt us and moving Ikard from tackle to center helped shore up an important part of the blocking schemes but left us inexperienced on that side. Pass blocking has been much better and the run blocking was much better in the later games but we hit a stone wall and I give Notre Dame the credit with their stout front 7.

We were lulled in to a false sense of security when we beat up on Texas (who later showed us who they were by almost losing to Kansas this past weekend) and Texas Tech (whose defense isn't who they thought they were).

But we still played better than the Texas Tech game last year and with more spirit and fire than the OSU game and weren't digging on our heels the entire game like we were against Baylor.

Win out, and take the best prize from there. Build on to next year with the new DC and LB coaches...

Oh... and send JKM down on the field to coach the backers and 75 up to the booth to call the plays.

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2012, 09:41 PM
But it seems like every year we have "issues" that are used to excuse poor performance and losses. Why is OU losing to teams that have nowhere near the stability OU should have at this point? Kstate was in shambles before Snyder came back and ND hasn't been a power in years. Why do they have it together so well that they can come to Norman and win? They are, in many ways, trying to find themselves again. Shouldn't OU, with a 14th year coach with over a decade of success be able to handle teams trying to rebuild their programs? Don't they have player issues? injuries? defections? Why does our competition over achieve while we underachieve? Things happen and I get that, but it's becoming a pattern.

I think your assumption that OU has had stability is incorrect - there was a lot of turmoil last year as 75 pointed out. Yes, Bob has been there 14 years, but the staff has changed over time. And stability can be a bad thing if it leads to becoming stale or stagnant. It's a tough balance between stability and bringing in fresh faces and new perspective. Most coaches don't last 10+ years for a reason. I like the direction of the program better than the last few years since last year's shuffling, but we've only seen a little over 1/2 a seasons results. Hope I like it even better this time next year.

TUSooner
10/29/2012, 09:44 PM
They are no more talented than we are - they played smarter and their coaches patiently stayed within their game plan. Ours were scrambling to get plays and players in. The penalty on the defense for running the guy off late - stupid.... Notre Dame, took our field goal, punched us in the mouth, and our coaching staff went Mack Brown on them.
That struck a chord: sometimes we just don't seem as cool, calm, collected -- and competent -- as the other guys, especially when the pressure's on and we really need to be cool. Excessively critical? Probably. But that's been a recurring impression of mine for the past several years.

MamaMia
10/29/2012, 09:47 PM
It all boils down to...is it quite alright to be the team you can beat, as long as you're team is better than ours, and is it okay to not be that better team? Different people have different expectations.

Breadburner
10/29/2012, 10:00 PM
Play hard...Play sharp...Execute....

StoopTroup
10/29/2012, 11:27 PM
...and even KSU.

My question(s):

First of all....that's more than one question and I have made quite a few comments about people calling to fire a Coach every damn year if we lose one or two games. Hell....you wanted to fire the O-Line Coach before he was half way through the Season and now after two losses you want to ask One Question (that is somewhere closer to just trying to say I told you so when you didn't really tell anyone anything but a bunch of crap) and now you want to act like you haven't ever been negative about anything and call posters out on this board?

It's some of the funniest wash the blood off your hands stuff you have written and I say some because I don't think you are capable of admitting to it if it was transcribed by Moses and Jesus read it back to you for you to sign as a confession for being a total sellout.

MamaMia
10/29/2012, 11:59 PM
He said question(s) but don't let facts stand your way.

OU_Sooners75
10/30/2012, 04:39 PM
See greg, you never mentioned a damned thing about what transpired last season.

That said, I still think both Kittle and Patton need to be replaced.

Why? Because our OL is weak. They are good pass blockers, but they can't run block a good front 7 to save their asses. That's a fact!

Those coaches are also subpar recruiters. And the attrition numbers back it up!

And this recruiting class hasn't gained anything to the nhumbers as of yet to not worry about it.

You can say, "I tolde you so" until you're blue in the face. You haven't told anyone anything.

You just think everything is A-Okay. When its not.

I think the program is headed in the right direction. But that doesn't mean everything is great either!

Jason White's Third Knee
10/30/2012, 06:25 PM
75, your logic has no place here. Landry sucks! Fire Brent Venables!

Plexis22
10/30/2012, 11:15 PM
I'm ticked because it was the second loss at home this season. Yes ND is a good team but not a great team, and they still came into Norman and beat us. Not only that the entire nation was watching this game (most watched CFB game this year) and they all saw perpetually overrated OU lay a big egg at home where we supposedly (once) had a big advantage..

DBrown
10/30/2012, 11:24 PM
Communication.......very important...need to be attentive enough to get up to the line and get the ball snapped before that "oh by the way, let's review that" moment happens. Wishful thinking? Yes but impossible...NO! That's just my little opinion,but it could make a difference.

8timechamps
10/31/2012, 03:20 PM
Communication.......very important...need to be attentive enough to get up to the line and get the ball snapped before that "oh by the way, let's review that" moment happens. Wishful thinking? Yes but impossible...NO! That's just my little opinion,but it could make a difference.

You pretty much nailed it. Maybe it's because Huepel is fairly new to the OC, but what you mentioned is IMO the one thing wrong with our offense. Take the bad snap in the first quarter for example. If we run the play that was originally called, maybe it's stopped for no gain, maybe it's a loss of a couple, or maybe it's a positive gain. All are much better than losing 20 yards.

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2012, 04:42 PM
Even if they hurried up and snapped the ball, the officials can blow the play dead, especially if the replay booth is buzzing down right at the start, or right after the start of the play.

They (the officials) can just say the replay booth was buzzing in before the snap of the ball. But if its a quick snap and the play ends fast, say like a spike, then the play can no longer be reviewed...as long as they counted that play on the field.

Its all subjective really.

10/31/2012, 07:28 PM
Our biggest problems are off the field. We have to eliminate guys choosing weed over football. It is killing us in national perception. I realize many of the high-profile teams deal with this, and I don't know what the cure is, but multiple suspensions don't seem to work. Maybe if it is more clear that crap doesn't get even a second chance here... From the first recruiting visit on... I don't know. I do believe it plays a roll, though.

I wish playing championship level football was of more emphasis. That signing on to our program was more a privilege than a decision... It is a cultural change, more than anything. But the problem is widespread major programs, so who knows?

I don't like us making bone-headed decisions during games. That falls more on coaching than offseason smoking, so essentially, I have no answer than to keep on trying.

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2012, 07:34 PM
Our biggest problems are off the field. We have to eliminate guys choosing weed over football. It is killing us in national perception. I realize many of the high-profile teams deal with this, and I don't know what the cure is, but multiple suspensions don't seem to work. Maybe if it is more clear that crap doesn't get even a second chance here... From the first recruiting visit on... I don't know. I do believe it plays a roll, though.

I wish playing championship level football was of more emphasis. That signing on to our program was more a privilege than a decision... It is a cultural change, more than anything. But the problem is widespread major programs, so who knows?

I don't like us making bone-headed decisions during games. That falls more on coaching than offseason smoking, so essentially, I have no answer than to keep on trying.

Multiple unannounced urinalysis can do the trick.

Do it a minimum of 4 times per season. Can be a lot more under any suspicions. And can be done at any time.

I personally would do it every Sunday morning during the season for sure. But also do it unannounced throughout the entire school year.

I would also do the screen test under strict supervision where they cannot cheat the test results.

and if there are suspicions after the drug screens, take a hair sample!

Of course some of this may be illegal or an invasion of privacy. But these kids are getting a 100K education for free!

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2012, 07:35 PM
Our biggest problems are off the field. We have to eliminate guys choosing weed over football....

That should be part of the legalize weed campaign.

Legal Weed = Better College Football

I'd wear that T-shirt!

;)

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2012, 07:36 PM
But weed =/= better college football.

Weed makes you lazy!

tulsaoilerfan
10/31/2012, 07:38 PM
It's not just being upset about the Notre Dame game, it's the continuation of a decade long trend; when was the last time we beat a really good team? Yeah we beat mediocre Texas teams the last 3 seasons and have beaten some highly ranked(and probably highly overrated) conference opponents, but ask yourself when was the last truly big win for this program? I love the Sooners as much as anyone, but we have been underachieving on a national scale for quite a long time; flame away

BoulderSooner79
10/31/2012, 08:31 PM
Weed makes you hungry for Taco Bell at 2am!

FIFY

MyT Oklahoma
11/1/2012, 10:02 AM
It's not just being upset about the Notre Dame game, it's the continuation of a decade long trend; when was the last time we beat a really good team? Yeah we beat mediocre Texas teams the last 3 seasons and have beaten some highly ranked(and probably highly overrated) conference opponents, but ask yourself when was the last truly big win for this program? I love the Sooners as much as anyone, but we have been underachieving on a national scale for quite a long time; flame away

Seconded. Duly seconded.

SoonerAtKU
11/1/2012, 10:32 AM
Florida State was a pretty big deal last year. That game crippled the rest of their season, almost literally.

Soonerjeepman
11/1/2012, 11:20 AM

on top of the fact that since 2006 OU has "lost" Sooner Magic not being able to finish games
OU is under .500 ( 11/14) when margin was single digits in the 4th quarter...Stoop's first yrs (2000 to 2006) he was 28/9 in games like that.

http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/football/story/_/id/8577885/oklahoma-sooners-need-four-quarter-focus-iowa-state-cyclones

thecrimsoncrusader
11/1/2012, 11:43 AM
The reason why OU doesn't do well in close games is because that means they are obviously playing poorly and when you play poorly, you will usually lose. Duh! :)

MamaMia
11/1/2012, 12:05 PM
No reason to get upset as far as I see it. I fully expect us to lose a couple times a year. Thats what we have become. I've grown to accept it. Its easier that way.

rainiersooner
11/2/2012, 09:21 AM

I blame texas. We constantly forget how much they suck, so when we destroy them, we think it's because we're a great team.

cleller
11/2/2012, 09:26 AM
That should be part of the legalize weed campaign.

Legal Weed = Better College Football

I'd wear that T-shirt!

;)

But weed =/= better college football.

Weed makes you lazy!

He's from Boulder.

BoulderSooner79
11/2/2012, 10:25 AM
He's from Boulder.

You saw the winkie, right?

8timechamps
11/2/2012, 12:30 PM
Even if they hurried up and snapped the ball, the officials can blow the play dead, especially if the replay booth is buzzing down right at the start, or right after the start of the play.

They (the officials) can just say the replay booth was buzzing in before the snap of the ball. But if its a quick snap and the play ends fast, say like a spike, then the play can no longer be reviewed...as long as they counted that play on the field.

Its all subjective really.

You know, I took his post/point entirely different. I thought when he said "...need to be attentive enough to get up to the line and get the ball snapped before that "oh by the way, let's review that" moment happens.", he meant the communication from Heupel to the sidelines to Landry. I think you took it as instant replay review (which may be what he meant).

BoulderSooner79
11/2/2012, 12:51 PM
You know, I took his post/point entirely different. I thought when he said "...need to be attentive enough to get up to the line and get the ball snapped before that "oh by the way, let's review that" moment happens.", he meant the communication from Heupel to the sidelines to Landry. I think you took it as instant replay review (which may be what he meant).

I've noticed the college replay guys will buzz down if the offense looks like they are trying to hurry to avoid a review. So I don't think teams should really worry about it - just run the offense in the normal manner. I've seen the hurry up bite teams a few times because they did avoid the replay by runing some unseccessful play and then we see the replay would have gone their way anyway, so they wasted a play. It's a much bigger deal in the pros where a team may hurry up just to force to opposing coach to waste a review and possibly a timeout if he loses.

8timechamps
11/2/2012, 12:54 PM
I've noticed the college replay guys will buzz down if the offense looks like they are trying to hurry to avoid a review. So I don't think teams should really worry about it - just run the offense in the normal manner. I've seen the hurry up bite teams a few times because they did avoid the replay by runing some unseccessful play and then we see the replay would have gone their way anyway, so they wasted a play. It's a much bigger deal in the pros where a team may hurry up just to force to opposing coach to waste a review and possibly a timeout if he loses.

I've thought that too. Kinda like if you look guilty, then you probably are. It may not work that way, but that's always what I think. And (as was proven Saturday), it doesn't really matter, because if they want to review the play, they will.

MamaMia
11/3/2012, 12:05 AM
At this point I just concentrate on being happy for the wins we do have. Nothing is going to keep me from cheering for my team. There is absolutely nothing I can say or do that will change a thing, so I have made the choice to accept things as they are.

Oh... and next season, we have oSu in Stillwater, Notre Dame in Indiana and a new starting quarterback. High apple pie in the sky hopes, don't worry, be happy, I'm singing in the rain...Its all good. :D

tooslow
11/5/2012, 03:21 PM
I pay for it, and I honestly got the idea of a 2-3 loss season this year besides what the media was saying

I believe you might end up being correct. I do not pay for inside information, but after watching the first 2 games of the season, I kinda form my opinion on how the year will turn out. I think this year's team is good, but not as good as last year's squad. I think the 2012 unit finishes with 4 losses. Obviously, I hope I end up eating crow, but I will always be honest in my opinions. Unfortunately, many fans here can't handle an opinion that differs from theirs.

KantoSooner
11/5/2012, 04:04 PM
It was Notre ****ing Dame, people.

Losing to them is like losing to nazipedophilecommunistslavedrivingbabyrapingtreaso nousintentionalspreadersofHIVleaversofemptytoiletr olls.

Unforgiveable. Our team, once again, wasn't ready and we falied to make any adjustments that I could see after the half. Just laid there and took it.

TUSooner
11/5/2012, 04:41 PM
It was Notre ****ing Dame, people.

Losing to them is like losing to nazipedophilecommunistslavedrivingbabyrapingtreaso nousintentionalspreadersofHIVleaversofemptytoiletr olls.

Unforgiveable. Our team, once again, wasn't ready and we falied to make any adjustments that I could see after the half. Just laid there and took it.

Well, when you put it THAT way... Yeah!

TUSooner
11/5/2012, 04:43 PM

I cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.

nutinbutdust
11/5/2012, 05:34 PM
I had been biting my tongue about this and don't want to start a new thread. Did anyone catch the penalty in the domer Pitt game where the domer defense got caught yelling signals? We had two bad snaps when we played the dormers, kind of makes you wonder....

BoulderSooner79
11/5/2012, 05:41 PM
I had been biting my tongue about this and don't want to start a new thread. Did anyone catch the penalty in the domer Pitt game where the domer defense got caught yelling signals? We had two bad snaps when we played the dormers, kind of makes you wonder....

Noticed that and it's a very unusual call, so they must have really been yelling.