PDA

View Full Version : game plan agaisnt ND

Soonerjeepman
10/29/2012, 02:01 PM
"Even when we got down there they were still sinking off our guys so we were pushing it vertical. That is why you saw us throw more to the running backs underneath and those routes to those guys. Just as we get down there, like I said earlier, you just have to capitalize on your situations and [play efficient football."

really? that's why OU threw deep routes to the side on 2 consecutive downs? I guess I saw a different game. I kept saying throw short..take what they are giving us. Ah well...it is what it is...better be prepared for isu.

not saying I'm a better coach..or landry sucks...just find the statement ironic.

FaninAma
10/29/2012, 02:08 PM
Did Landry get any pressure aside from the one sack. I don't remember a lot. Yet it seemed that our play calls were made with the idea that ND was getting intense pressure on him all night long.

Soonerjeepman
10/29/2012, 02:16 PM
I didn't see a lot of pressure either....guess I thought we should have kept passing short routes...on those 2 deep throws to the side, I believe, it was on 2/10 and 3/10. The run obviously wasn't working. Like I said, just didn't see it like they did! ;-)

FaninAma
10/29/2012, 02:31 PM
I still don't think our passing game works the middleof the field like it should, especially from 15 to 20 yards from the LOS.

badger
10/29/2012, 02:36 PM
game plan agaisnt ND :
OFFENSE:
http://memecrunch.com/meme/1SDW/slow-clock/image.png
http://churchillscience.edublogs.org/files/2008/12/meerkat-vs-tortoise.jpg
http://blog.nj.com/njv_guest_blog/2009/03/medium_referee.jpg
CROWD:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61RQRENCEZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://express.howstuffworks.com/gif/wq-money-woman.jpg
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1570/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1570R-129644.jpg
SPECIAL TEAMS:
http://blog.thefoundationstone.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/kicking-man.gif
http://www.vote29.com/newmyblog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Kick-The-Can.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/Aussie_rules_kicking.jpg/220px-Aussie_rules_kicking.jpg
DEFENSE ON FIRST DOWN:
http://nancymorris.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Brick_Wall.jpg
DEFENSE ON SECOND DOWN:
http://assets.survivalinternational.org/pictures/1615/11896-gd_screen.jpg
DEFENSE ON THIRD DOWN:
http://dpadvantage.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/swiss-cheese.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i215/coxseb/monty_python_black_knight.jpg

En_Fuego
10/29/2012, 02:41 PM
UHHHHHHHHHHHHH...........The team is still in some kind of ...................???????????????

Tear Down This Wall
10/29/2012, 03:35 PM
I agree with Badger...especially, the third down swiss cheese bit.

OU_Sooners75
10/29/2012, 04:04 PM
I didn't understand the two deep balls either, at least the timing of them.

Landry was getting a good 4 seconds to throw all night. There were an handful of times where he would have pressure, but only on 3rd and long (over 5 yards to go).

Also, about our vertical game vs. The ND defense not once that I can recall did we run any deep middle passes. In fact, I can't recall seeing on against anyone so far this year.

That said, ND sat comfortably in cover 2 all night long. Knowing that OU doesn't thro deep middle routes.

Heupel needs to exploit the middle a lot more than he does. Even short in passes.

All our passes are to the outside.

tulsaoilerfan
10/29/2012, 06:48 PM
It might be nice to throw to a tight end more than once a month

8timechamps
10/29/2012, 07:09 PM

Hopefully, this changes next year. Right now, the coaches must have no confidence in the TE. Also, when you have a roster full of very good WR, I can understand wanting to get as many on the field as possible.

About the play-calling, not only did ND play cover two all night, they played DEEEEEEP cover two. I think the reason we didn't see a lot of deep middle stuff was because of the anticipation of pressure. Those plays always take longer to develop (and if you remember, the one good deep middle play to Saunders, Landry got smacked in the mouth). So, we couldn't run short slants because of their incredible linebackers (and the one time we did, Brown was covered like white on rice), ND wasn't going to give up a deep ball, so it kinda left us with the flats most of the night. Notre Dame called a great game.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/30/2012, 12:55 AM
I would like to know why they continued to pound the ball up the middle on run plays instead of more stretch/sweep plays to c/d gaps. I thought it was foolishly stubborn to continue to try and run right into the very strongest part of their front 7 (the middle 4), and not test their ability to pursue outside the tackles.

I understand you need to establish the run. But don't you want to mix it up a little?

And then again, pace was again an issue like it was in K-State. Every time we mashed the gas pedal and went fast we were gashing them. Then the coaching staff starts calling the "check with me" crap and slows it down and we lose rythm. I don't get it.

My theory is that the ND D-Coordinator flat out-coached our offensive staff by showing one thing to the offense and then switching to something else last second. I mean all coaching staffs do that... but the ND DC just did it much better than we have seen all year, including against K-State.

P.S. One other thing... we looked confused much of the night on our offensive personnel groupings. It was a real cluster at times. Isn't that the opposite of how it is supposed to work? Aren't we supposed to smoothly switch personnel groupings and press the pace to cause them to have to scramble and catch up. In other words isn't the offense supposed to make the defense react? It looked like much of the night it was our offense that was reacting to defensive personnel groupings. That's not good.

cleller
10/30/2012, 09:19 AM
I agree with Badger...especially, the third down swiss cheese bit.

They had a triple-option QB. Evade, throw, run.

Not using that as an excuse, just highlights why they made third downs and we didn't.

PrideMom
10/30/2012, 09:36 AM
Notre Dame played the game of their life! I had watched them this year and they never played like that. I did not know how good Golson (spelling?)was, the receivers played the best game ever for them. It was just their night. I have watched a lot of college football, and you cannot explain everything that happens....Remember how surprised we were in 2000 with an OU team that no one thought had a chance? I was expecting to see ND do the personal fouls, late hits, etc. and they didn't, or at least weren't called on them. I was impressed with Brian Kelly when he was coaching Cincinnati. ND kept the ball, which is what OU did against Florida State in the 2000 National Championship game.... Again defense wins games, because they create the field postions.. OU's touch down was created by a short field, when finally OUr defense stopped them.......

jkjsooner
10/30/2012, 09:40 AM
Did Landry get any pressure aside from the one sack. I don't remember a lot. Yet it seemed that our play calls were made with the idea that ND was getting intense pressure on him all night long.

I don't think he got a TON of pressure. He got more pressure from ND than other teams and more than we put on their QB. He didn't get more pressure than he'd see week after week in the NFL.

They did pressure us more than Landry can handle and the coaches know that. Jones played a pretty good game but when a team is able to pressure him it really limits what our coaches can do. Jones simply doesn't have the intagibles that Heupel had to buy time and make a play (either with a QB run or pass) when under pressure.

FaninAma
10/30/2012, 09:56 AM
Why can't we run the hurry up with a 4 year starter at QB?

Widescreen
10/30/2012, 10:11 AM

Maybe it's not the QB that's causing this.

Tear Down This Wall
10/30/2012, 10:22 AM

A preacher/lawyer coaches the tight ends.

Sooner in Tampa
10/30/2012, 11:23 AM
I have wondered this all year long. It is disgraceful and it drives me bonkers to see Landry standing there looking at the sidelines...he has started 4 years...he can't read a defense?????? WTF????

Curly Bill
10/30/2012, 11:32 AM
I have wondered this all year long. It is disgraceful and it drives me bonkers to see Landry standing there looking at the sidelines...he has started 4 years...he can't read a defense?????? WTF????

No...I really don't think he can!

Sooner in Tampa
10/30/2012, 11:38 AM
No...I really don't think he can!
That's my fear as well.

I hope he enjoys selling insurance after college.

Curly Bill
10/30/2012, 11:43 AM
That's my fear as well.

Some team is gonna be dumb enough to waste a high draft choice on him, then they'll be forced to hang onto him for a few years while he holds a clipboard. Then he'll be released, some other team will be dumb enough to claim him thinking they can salvage something out of a once high draft choice, they'll realize that the team that originally drafted him was correct to let him go, and then team 2 will do the same after a one year experiment.

Then...he can go sell insurance, or preach, or whatever his heart is really set on, because it just doesn't appear to be football to me.

Soonerjeepman
10/30/2012, 01:46 PM
because it just doesn't appear to be football to me.

buddy of mine...MU fan, said the same thing...after I mentioned he wants to be a preacher not so much an NFL qb.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/30/2012, 01:57 PM
Maybe it's not the QB that's causing this.

Or maybe it is and the coaching staff, more specifically, Bob Stoops and Josh Heupel don't have that kind of confidence in him.

8timechamps
10/30/2012, 02:39 PM

What makes you think he can't read defenses? Good grief, he threw for over 350 yards Saturday, and the lone interception bounced off of a reciever.

The pace of the offense has little to do with LJ. He can only go as fast as the plays are given to him. The issue is somewhere between Huepel and getting the plays in to LJ.

ddub0224
10/30/2012, 04:24 PM
What makes you think he can't read defenses? Good grief, he threw for over 350 yards Saturday, and the lone interception bounced off of a reciever.

The pace of the offense has little to do with LJ. He can only go as fast as the plays are given to him. The issue is somewhere between Huepel and getting the plays in to LJ.

^^ Agree ^^ Seems like Heupel can't get more than 2-3 plays called in a row without having to pause and kill the momentum.

BoulderSooner79
10/30/2012, 06:21 PM
^^ Agree ^^ Seems like Heupel can't get more than 2-3 plays called in a row without having to pause and kill the momentum.

Part of the pauses were for substitutions if one of our guys got dinged or winded. If we do that, the ref will add more pause to allow the D to substitute. It's much harder to run hurry-up using only pass plays vs. using only running plays because the receivers get winded quickly if there are any incompletions.

Seamus
10/30/2012, 06:41 PM

Sorry, mate, but that is one seriously dooshey thing to say about one of our players.

Sooner in Tampa
10/30/2012, 07:46 PM
I don't think its a disgrace to sell insurance...a friend of mine makes a damn good living doing it

I really think he will end up preaching...which is a damn noble profession

MamaMia
10/30/2012, 08:09 PM
We have so many problems, I wouldn't even begin to try to analyze them all.

tulsaoilerfan
10/30/2012, 08:44 PM
Honestly i wish we would just huddle and run the damn play that is called in the huddle or allow the QB to check off at the line of scrimmage; quit the micro-managing and let the players play; almost every time we have to hustle to get the play ran it's a disaster

soonercastor
10/30/2012, 09:26 PM
Again defense wins games, because they create the field postions.. OU's touch down was created by a short field, when finally OUr defense stopped them.......

We had pretty good field position

SoonerMachine
10/30/2012, 10:07 PM
"... foolishly stubborn..."

Shortened that for ya... :)

OUmillenium
10/30/2012, 10:18 PM
You do know why we don't throw to the middle of the field right? Because LJ cannot read a defense. His best success has always been throwing to the first check or "read" (ha, laughable). Ryan Broyles could get separation and get to the spot where LJ was going to throw better than anyone ever.

LJ throwing to the middle would be very risky. It's risky enough throwing to the sidelines. He has hit a lot of defenders in stride over his career for 6. It took him a whole season to learn how to throw the ball away without getting an INT on the sideline.

I pull for him to be highly successful every game, but I have never really expected much more than what we saw his Freshman year. Those mistakes were very low level and if he was making them then, how much better mentally could he really get?

Great arm, tall, probably smart with the playbook - but if option one is not open...yikes

That is his mo

5thYearSooner
10/31/2012, 08:30 AM
ND game reminded me of NC game against Florida. We miss scoring opportunities in red zone cuz of our inability to run, scores tied* at half time. Second half they score a touchdown, we turn the ball over from which they score a field goal. 10 point difference with 3-4 mins to go. Even the interception seemed similar - bounced off receivers, pulled from inches above the ground.

*Tied in this game if not for stupid penalty

I Am Right
10/31/2012, 09:57 AM
Sucked, same game plan as Kstate. We go to Taco Tech and run a great game plan, go to Dallas and Run a great game plan, play Kansas and run a great game plan, play ND and we run same game plane as Kstate. Hmmmmmmmm?

I Am Right
10/31/2012, 09:58 AM
How many times we throw to tight end in kstate game, how many times we throw go tight end in ND game?

PujolsFan
10/31/2012, 10:09 AM
I'm wondering why we didn't see the play action pass to Millard down the center of the field ... that play has been WIDE open the 3 times I recall us using it... and has been big. Just seemed to me that our play calling (which could be slowed down due to failed execution) has been a shell of what it could and should be. As I recall Bradford had a pretty good tide end he threw too on many occasions that resulted in big yardage and TD's.

If they (meaning ND) are going to give you 5-10 yard short passes all night then TAKE IT!! You don't have to run the ball... especially when you're out manned at the line. The last 3 or 4 Super Bowl winning teams have ranked near the bottom of the league in rushing yards so the old adage about "you have to establish the run" to me is not really true. You do need to control or manage the line, but that doesn't have to be done via the run game. I'm also not a huge fan of meerkating at the line... we have a 5th yr Sr at the helm... can't he run the plays called or at least know how to audible to another?

Tear Down This Wall
10/31/2012, 10:22 AM
Why are we wondering about the offense when the defense gave up 200+ rushing?

We should be asking why the hell they kept playing "QB contain" instead of blitzing when it was obvious the DL was getting shoved around again.

Curly Bill
10/31/2012, 10:52 AM
How many times we throw to tight end in kstate game, how many times we throw go tight end in ND game?

Do we have any TE's on the team?

MyT Oklahoma
10/31/2012, 11:57 AM
We have so many problems, I wouldn't even begin to try to analyze them all.

My thoughts exactly. LOL