PDA

View Full Version : Riding the storm out.

diverdog
10/29/2012, 06:14 AM
It looks like the eye of Sandy will pass 35 miles to the north of me. So far it is nothing but a sustained nasty rain storm. Think a super cell deluge except it last a couple of days. Our beaches are getting pummelled. My friend called me and said the surf is twenty plus feet. The scary part of the storm is that we will have a ten foot storm surge on top of the already high tide on a full moon. The flooding is going to be really bad. I am on high ground by Delaware standards so flooding is not a huge concern. The Governor just issued a level II driving ban. So no work today. Winds are 30 gusting to 40 at this time. Thank god it is not cold or we would have ten feet of snow.

Spent the last two days getting ready. We have plenty of food and water. Got fuel for the generator and propane for the grill. Since I camp and backpack so much I have a crazy amount of gear....dried food, stoves, water purification pumps, lanterns, flashlights, fire starters,...you name it I got it. My friends joke that I could give Cabelas a run for their money. Lol. Push comes to shove I figure I will go to the local pond and massacre a few resident geese for food. I don't think it will be that bad but it is good to have a plan C. We also have a large deer herd nearby.

I will keep everyone posted. This is not the worst storm I have endured. We lived near the Gulf when Camille hit.

olevetonahill
10/29/2012, 06:22 AM
Keep yer pecker dry, Well unless ya just wanta get it wet

diverdog
10/29/2012, 06:32 AM
Keep yer pecker dry, Well unless ya just wanta get it wet

Still have to walk the dog. Wish he would use the toilet.

olevetonahill
10/29/2012, 06:35 AM

When the weather that Bad my sorry dogs just poop in the floor.

olevetonahill
10/29/2012, 07:05 AM
It looks like the eye of Sandy will pass 35 miles to the north of me. So far it is nothing but a sustained nasty rain storm. Think a super cell deluge except it last a couple of days. Our beaches are getting pummelled. My friend called me and said the surf is twenty plus feet. The scary part of the storm is that we will have a ten foot storm surge on top of the already high tide on a full moon. The flooding is going to be really bad. I am on high ground by Delaware standards so flooding is not a huge concern. The Governor just issued a level II driving ban. So no work today. Winds are 30 gusting to 40 at this time. Thank god it is not cold or we would have ten feet of snow.

Spent the last two days getting ready. We have plenty of food and water. Got fuel for the generator and propane for the grill. Since I camp and backpack so much I have a crazy amount of gear....dried food, stoves, water purification pumps, lanterns, flashlights, fire starters,...you name it I got it. My friends joke that I could give Cabelas a run for their money. Lol. Push comes to shove I figure I will go to the local pond and massacre a few resident geese for food. I don't think it will be that bad but it is good to have a plan C. We also have a large deer herd nearby.

I will keep everyone posted. This is not the worst storm I have endured. We lived near the Gulf when Camille hit.

A LIB ,Dem whos not sittin on his butt expecting the Gov, To come save him ?
Its a Miracle

diverdog
10/29/2012, 07:40 AM
A LIB ,Dem whos not sittin on his butt expecting the Gov, To come save him ?
Its a Miracle

I would kill to live off the grid.

The other smart thing I did was to have my POS neighbor's tree trimmed. They abandoned their house a year ago and since then I have tried to keep it from looking like chit. When I had the tree trimmer come by I had him lop off any limbs that threatened my house and electrical wires. Looks like a good move in retrospect.

Sandy is showing up, winds have really picked up in the last hour.

P.S. I am not a Dem. I am registered unaffiliated. Not even independent.

olevetonahill
10/29/2012, 08:13 AM
I would kill to live off the grid.

The other smart thing I did was to have my POS neighbor's tree trimmed. They abandoned their house a year ago and since then I have tried to keep it from looking like chit. When I had the tree trimmer come by I had him lop off any limbs that threatened my house and electrical wires. Looks like a good move in retrospect.

Sandy is showing up, winds have really picked up in the last hour.

P.S. I am not a Dem. I am registered unaffiliated. Not even independent.

Yer still a LIB who I'd be willing to Bet Votes Dem a Majority of the time :biggrin:

Oh and good thinkin on the tree.

rock on sooner
10/29/2012, 08:14 AM
Good luck, DD!

sooneron
10/29/2012, 08:39 AM

Yep, same here.

Winds really gusting right now. I would guess, sustained around 35 and up to 50, at times. My wife's ridiculous company had the muckity mucks come in today. I wonder when she'll bail... idiots.

And yes, I have a 5.5 and 2.5 yr old at home with me and a skype call with a client in 30 min!!

diverdog
10/29/2012, 10:48 AM
Yep, same here.

Winds really gusting right now. I would guess, sustained around 35 and up to 50, at times. My wife's ridiculous company had the muckity mucks come in today. I wonder when she'll bail... idiots.

And yes, I have a 5.5 and 2.5 yr old at home with me and a skype call with a client in 30 min!!

Where are you located?

Howzit
10/29/2012, 11:59 AM
I'm flying to Bradley in Hartford and driving to Albany Wednesday. Was tomorrow but the airlines are changing flights for free due to the storm.

SicEmBaylor
10/29/2012, 12:16 PM
What on Earth is the difference between unaffiliated and independent? "Independent" isn't a party; therefore, registering as an independent means you're unaffiliated with any party major or otherwise.

Howzit
10/29/2012, 12:21 PM
It's like you don't even care I'm flying into the maw of a devastating hurricane.

olevetonahill
10/29/2012, 12:24 PM
It's like you don't even care I'm flying into the maw of a devastating hurricane.

I care Bro. Ill say 3 "Oh Sh*ts" for you

olevetonahill
10/29/2012, 12:24 PM

salth2o
10/29/2012, 12:35 PM
Sounds like you are ready. We rode out Ike in 2008 here in Houston. Not too bad if you dont mind some serious wind and rain. We are far enough inland that flooding was not an issue.

We were without power for 15 days after the storm. My neighbors and I shared food, water, etc. and made it fine. We had several hurricane parties.

Hunker down as our local met's kept saying.

Howzit
10/29/2012, 12:36 PM
I care Bro. Ill say 3 "Oh Sh*ts" for youWow, you really do care. You said 2 "Ill say 3 "Oh Sh*ts" for you's"

salth2o
10/29/2012, 12:39 PM
Wow, you really do care. You said 2 "Ill say 3 "Oh Sh*ts" for you's"

Meybe Vet should start his own line of sympathy cards. :confused:

olevetonahill
10/29/2012, 01:02 PM
Wow, you really do care. You said 2 "Ill say 3 "Oh Sh*ts" for you's"

I do, I really do. I care so Much Bro

Howzit
10/29/2012, 01:05 PM
Can I borrow $500?

KABOOKIE
10/29/2012, 01:06 PM
Don't worry! Obama was on the news last night explaining the reason why disaster relief may take a long time to reach victims after the storm hits. Yeah CYA from this administration is the norm. But BUSH CREATED KATRINA!!!!

pphilfran
10/29/2012, 01:09 PM
Good luck Diver...

GVFgEBq0EKM

olevetonahill
10/29/2012, 01:10 PM
Can I borrow $500?

Ill Just Give it to you, I care so much

rock on sooner
10/29/2012, 01:21 PM
Don't worry! Obama was on the news last night explaining the reason why disaster relief may take a long time to reach victims after the storm hits. Yeah CYA from this administration is the norm. But BUSH CREATED KATRINA!!!!

Nah, Bush dint create Katrina, just the lack of response to it...

Howzit
10/29/2012, 01:21 PM
Ill Just Give it to you, I care so muchThen you would expect me to earn it. I would prefer to borrow it and just not pay it back.

rock on sooner
10/29/2012, 01:25 PM
Wow, full moon high tide as well as hurricane storm surge..feel for
those folks on the East Coast...

olevetonahill
10/29/2012, 01:26 PM
Then you would expect me to earn it. I would prefer to borrow it and just not pay it back.

No It be a Gift bro.
I just need an addy to send ya a check. Oh and ya mite send 50 cents er so . I need to buy a stamp and **** .
I dont have any cash , But the check is Good I tell ya.

rock on sooner
10/29/2012, 01:27 PM
No It be a Gift bro.
I just need an addy to send ya a check. Oh and ya mite send 50 cents er so . I need to buy a stamp and **** .
I dont have any cash , But the check is Good I tell ya.

An Vet's gotta castle in the hills to sell ya!:biggrin:

diverdog
10/29/2012, 07:23 PM
What on Earth is the difference between unaffiliated and independent? "Independent" isn't a party; therefore, registering as an independent means you're unaffiliated with any party major or otherwise.

In Delaware "Independent" is a party. In other words, there is an Independent party in Delaware. I have no idea what is their platform is and I did not know it until I changed my registration from Republican to Unaffiliated.

diverdog
10/29/2012, 07:25 PM
So far not to bad. Lots of flooding and our electricity went out for about 4 hours. Right when I fired up the generator the electricity went back on.

sooneron
10/29/2012, 07:58 PM
Where are you located?

Glen Rock, NJ 07452

diverdog
10/30/2012, 12:30 PM
I drove into work today and the damage was very light. I would be amazed if we have $2 million dollars in damage. Mostly trees that are down. Now if they include economic loss because businesses were closed it could go much higher. I am really gald it went north of us.

Turd_Ferguson
10/30/2012, 01:31 PM
Right when I fired up the generator the electricity went back on.That's usually what happens when you fire up a generator.

Turd_Ferguson
10/30/2012, 01:36 PM
Then you would expect me to earn it. I would prefer to borrow it and just not pay it back.CK?

hawaii 5-0
10/30/2012, 01:49 PM
Good luck Diver...

GVFgEBq0EKM

I never quite understood the line, "Watching the full moon crossing the range" .................... during a storm???

5-0

StoopTroup
10/30/2012, 03:15 PM
Can I borrow $500?

Collateral? I could use a few things. Maybe I can just go through your stuff till I think I have enough to cover the $500. :D

One question before we go any further in negotiations....

Do you let your pets Sh*t in the house?

TheHumanAlphabet
10/30/2012, 03:35 PM
You near Cape May? Hope everything is good for you soon and easy clean up. NYC and surrounds look plastered.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/30/2012, 03:36 PM
I never quite understood the line, "Watching the full moon crossing the range" .................... during a storm???

5-0

A little "enhanced" lyric writing???

StoopTroup
10/30/2012, 03:45 PM
He should take a drive down I-70 from KC to Denver at night when there is some storms on the radar. I've seen some pretty cool fracturing of lightning and the fog at night as well as how it looks as the sun comes up as you head toward the Mountains. Just beautiful. I also have a feeling that REO did a lot of drugs back in the day but then again....John Denver wrote songs purely under a Rocky Mountain high. :D ;)

KABOOKIE
10/30/2012, 09:18 PM
Nah, Bush dint create Katrina, just the lack of response to it...

That's my whole point you dolt. Obama is out ahead of the storm justifying why it may be long time before assistance arrive, read "lack of response". Some of you "enlightened" types are pretty dim.

FaninAma
10/30/2012, 10:05 PM
DD, I hope you and everybody in Delaware is safe. However, I do hope all the federal bankruptcy courts in the state got blown away. The Delaware bankruptcy system is the work of the devil.

Chuck Bao
10/31/2012, 03:18 AM
That's my whole point you dolt. Obama is out ahead of the storm justifying why it may be long time before assistance arrive, read "lack of response". Some of you "enlightened" types are pretty dim.

In these types of disasters, I thought that there was a very important distinction between rescue and relief. At least 1,833 people died during Katrina...

sooneron
11/1/2012, 01:54 PM
My town got thrashed pretty good.

http://ridgewood.patch.com/articles/sandy-strikes

Not close enough to the big bodies of water to see what the shore/LI/Brooklyn saw as far as devastation goes. More than 2/3 of my town is without power.

KABOOKIE
11/1/2012, 09:33 PM
In these types of disasters, I thought that there was a very important distinction between rescue and relief. At least 1,833 people died during Katrina...

Why get rescued when there's some looting to be done....

diverdog
11/2/2012, 06:44 PM
DD, I hope you and everybody in Delaware is safe. However, I do hope all the federal bankruptcy courts in the state got blown away. The Delaware bankruptcy system is the work of the devil.

Why do you say that? By all accounts we have the best courts in the nation.

Jersey
11/2/2012, 06:47 PM
sisters beach house in longport, nj. the jersey shore will never be the same

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/normanboy/jownspic.jpg