PDA

View Full Version : Good OU article at USAToday

tooslow
10/28/2012, 09:51 PM
http://usat.ly/VT82eU

Says mostly what we all know, but still a good read.

MyT Oklahoma
10/28/2012, 09:57 PM
Interesting read. I for one am in favor of preparing for 2013. But that's just me.

MyT Oklahoma
10/28/2012, 09:58 PM
I want us to win the rest of our games of course but I am still in favor of preparing for 2013 because this season isn't going to amout to anything except for maybe a bowl championship. Wow, whoopie do.

aero
10/28/2012, 10:20 PM
Pretty accurate

bluedogok
10/28/2012, 10:29 PM
"Giving up" seven games into the season should do wonders for recruiting :rolleyes:

aero
10/28/2012, 10:34 PM
I didn't read that as "giving up". I suppose if one thought changing up things a bit would make us worse. I don't think it would, personally. It might show some recruits we're going to play a more physical style and get back to kicking tail.

8timechamps
10/28/2012, 10:41 PM
The fan base is clamoring for a shift to a pro-style mentality.

Huh?

bluedogok
10/28/2012, 10:42 PM
When you've had a starter as long as Landry and replace him with "the future" then that looks like giving up on the current season to those on the outside. That is what I took from the article. To me you want guys who are competitive and hate to lose, the coaching staff "giving up" on the current team and moving on just sends the wrong message to opponents, recruits and the public. If you're 2-5 maybe you consider playing for the future, fans calling for it remind me of Whorn fans a few years back because that is what I heard from many of them.

aero
10/28/2012, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't want to bench LJ. But bringing him in for more plays wouldn't be bad. Plenty of teams have and do. yes, if we were 2-5 it might appear that we were giving up but we have a lot to still play for. hard to believe getting Bella few more snaps would be seen as conceding the season.

bluedogok
10/28/2012, 10:53 PM
A few more snaps doesn't seem to be what some are calling for from what I have read. I do agree that Bell should have more snaps if we have a nice lead, more than what the staff has typically done in the past.

aero
10/28/2012, 10:58 PM
Yes, I can't take "benching" LJ seriously. He's done too much and its not like he's Garett Gilbert. He's earned his spot. And I don't think there's time to put a new offense in. but trying a few wrinkles and personnel changes when the opportunity arises would be good.

TUSooner
10/29/2012, 12:48 AM
. What does Oklahoma need to fix before embarking on a five-game winning streak?

1. Start running the football. Oklahoma ran the ball 22 times against Notre Dame, not counting two sacks. This offense is better with a dedicated running game. So what's the problem? It's not just about feeding the running backs; it's about being physical enough to control the line of scrimmage and the tempo, and OU has shown no signs of regaining the sort of toughness that defined Bob Stoops' early teams.

So it's about more than just running for the sake of running. OU is simply too finesse-based to beat physical teams like Kansas State and Notre Dame.

THIS THIS THIS!!!!

TUSooner
10/29/2012, 12:54 AM
Win the Big Almost 12?? No way. KSU will not lose twice. And frankly, OUr winning the Big Almost 12 after losing to a 2-loss KSU would not be an awesome thing. Time to ditch the Rube Goldberg / meerkat offense and build something mean and nasty.

WA. Sooner
10/29/2012, 02:46 AM
Put bell in the backfield some to give him field time. But NEVER sacrifice a current game for a future game. that is what the off season is for. You try to when everything in front of you always!

thecrimsoncrusader
10/29/2012, 06:08 AM
Landry is the losingest QB in Oklahoma football history (12 losses and counting). He wasn't responsbile for this past weekend's loss, but he sure as hell didn't go out there and do what it took to win it either. It's time to move on.

JLMSOONER
10/29/2012, 07:23 AM
Not a huge Landry fan. Quit supporting him after kstate, but he didn't lose it for us. 13 points isn't much but we were still in it until late. As mentioned in another thread the D is not a world beater some thought after TT, truss and ku. But they kept us in it until late. This loss was a team loss. ND was just better. The O line couldn't run block and the passing game suffered because of it. Although I'm ready to move passed the Landry years I don't put this one on him.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/29/2012, 08:00 AM
Landry is the losingest QB in Oklahoma football history (12 losses and counting). He wasn't responsbile for this past weekend's loss, but he sure as hell didn't go out there and do what it took to win it either. It's time to move on.

By that logic our greatest coaches were the biggest losers. Bennie Owen 54 losses. Bob Stoops 36 losses. Barry Switzer 29 losses. Bud Wilkinson 29 losses.

Great post as usual.