PDA

View Full Version : You want to know why the SEC is so successful?

Soonermagik
10/28/2012, 05:43 PM
It's really simple to be honest. They play a different brand of football that is physical at both the O-line and the D-line. That's it. Okay, there's more to it than that, but that's the primary focus. If you can protect the QB and run the ball at will you are good on offense. If your D-line can pressure the other QB and stuff the run you shut them down. Heck, your secondary doesn't have to be all world when your front 7 can get sacks and make a team one dimensional. OU must go back to that type of football and recruit those types of players. I've seen enough of the finesse spread on offense, it works against average to sub-par teams but fails against physical teams the majority of the time. Look, being physical and a run first team isn't flashy, but it wins a lot of football games. This is the reason the SEC has won like 6 championships in a row. Sometimes.. it really is that simple.

Stoops is a great coach and can get this done, but he must change the style with which OU plays. We need an actual O-line that is more of a run blocking line than a pass blocking line. We need guys that can blow people off the line. On defense, we need guys that can actually get pressure and eat up space. Until those 2 things change the results will remain the same, IMHO.

soonercastor
10/28/2012, 05:50 PM
Very true. But we're in the Big 12. The "problem" however is that you need to have a GREAT defense because with that type of offense, if your D doesn't show up early in one of the games especially with the offenses we play in this league then your chances of coming back are very slim.

The SEC has the luxury that most teams there play the same style as well so it's hard for teams like LSU, Bama to fall behind by a lot of points.

mdklatt
10/28/2012, 06:10 PM
I was going to start this same basic thread earlier, but after typing a nice, long rant I was automatically logged out and lost it. :grumpy:

Anyway, spot on. The Big 12 should be renamed the New WAC. Flag football. We should be playing on Thursday nights or Tuesday nights or Wednesday nights or whatever on ESPNU8 (Ocho U!). All this finesse offense but we can't tackle for **** and our lines get pushed like a stroller. We're incapable of moving down the field on sustained drives but instead rely too much on the homerun play to score.

The reason KSU is going to the Fiesta Bowl is because Bill Snyder teaches them how to tackle. Too bad they're going to lose because they've been getting fat on a diet of Big 12 creampuffs.

SoonerorLater
10/28/2012, 06:14 PM
The biggest difference in the best SEC Defenses are at the DT and DB positions. These are the hardest positions to successfully recruit. There are IMO, only a handful of difference makers every year at DT and the SEC seems to get a disproportionate share.

aero
10/28/2012, 06:27 PM
totally agree with soonermagik. it's won or lost at the line and if you have beasts on the d line you should be able to scheme and compete with anyone.

Soonermagik
10/28/2012, 06:28 PM
I agree that K-State is taking the recipe from the SEC and putting it to work on the rest of the Big 12. I realize it's not easy to recruit blue chip DT's, DE's and O-line players, but that's how you win. Plus, teams like K-State find a lot of JUCO guys to fill their needs. I'm just saying OU has the ability to get these types of players. You can still have a vertical passing game, but it shouldn't be the main staple of your offense.

Ask yourselves this.. how many times have you seen high powered offenses get shut down against physical SEC type defenses? These finesse spread offenses need time to work and it doesn't work too well when you have physical defenses harassing the QB. On top of that, your finesse spread team hardly gets to see the field, because their run first offenses are chewing up the clock.

aero
10/28/2012, 06:36 PM
Every championship team has a stout defense. Sometimes the offense gets the headlines but its usually because the defense keeps giving the ball back to them allowing them more opportunities for success. Who cares if the other team stops you when you know you'll be right back out there after the other teams 3 and out.

mdklatt
10/28/2012, 06:38 PM
Ask yourselves this.. how many times have you seen high powered offenses get shut down against physical SEC type defenses?

Two games in particular come to mind....

bluedogok
10/28/2012, 06:48 PM
When Urban Meyer was at ESPN last season and they were covering the Oregon up tempo offense before the BCS game he stated that if they had to do a one week turn around they would've had a hard time game planning and defending the OU up tempo offense in the BCS game. Since they had a month and a half to game plan, it allowed the coaches the time to assess and implement a defensive scheme. I think that is a more critical factor to performance against good teams in the bowl games. Most of the SEC seems offensively challenged when playing against any good defense, their philosophy is to invest most of their talent and resources on the defensive side of the ball and they tend to recruit to that side more. Most of the top teams have solid but not dynamic offenses that try to limit the mistakes and put the games in the hand of their defenses.

That said, I would prefer a more balanced attack with a legitimate running game rather than the meerkat offense.

kevpks
10/28/2012, 06:52 PM
We are a hell of a lot better on defense than a year ago. Hopefully, that trend continues. SEC defenses don't look so great at Kentucky, Tenn, Ole Miss, etc.

SoonerorLater
10/28/2012, 06:52 PM
If things continue as they are today we may find out about the SEC defense is dominant argument. I would like to see an Alabama/Oregon matchup. IMO if you want to run a spread type offense Oregon does it right.

Soonermagik
10/28/2012, 06:54 PM
When Urban Meyer was at ESPN last season and they were covering the Oregon up tempo offense before the BCS game he stated that if they had to do a one week turn around they would've had a hard time game planning and defending the OU up tempo offense in the BCS game. Since they had a month and a half to game plan, it allowed the coaches the time to assess and implement a defensive scheme. I think that is a more critical factor to performance against good teams in the bowl games. Most of the SEC seems offensively challenged when playing against any good defense, their philosophy is to invest most of their talent and resources on the defensive side of the ball and they tend to recruit to that side more. Most of the top teams have solid but not dynamic offenses that try to limit the mistakes and put the games in the hand of their defenses.

That said, I would prefer a more balanced attack with a legitimate running game rather than the meerkat offense.

Yeah, well we both know that the title game will always be a several weeks of preparation, so you have to plan accordingly. Not to mention, the SEC may seem challenged on offense, but it's because they are so hell bent on running the ball down your throat. They do it to keep the other teams offense off the field and impose their will. OU needs a physical team and they don't have it. Brian Kelly has realized the SEC model works and he's implemented that style at Notre Dame. Control the clock and be physical on D and you will beat a lot of good teams, especially finesse spread teams.

Soonermagik
10/28/2012, 06:55 PM
We are a hell of a lot better on defense than a year ago. Hopefully, that trend continues. SEC defenses don't look so great at Kentucky, Tenn, Ole Miss, etc.

You can pick out the lame teams of any conference.... they all have them. We are talking the top tiered teams.. Bama, Florida, LSU type teams.

bluedogok
10/28/2012, 06:56 PM
I agree that Oregon runs a completely different type of spread offense with a run first mentality but it really didn't fare that well against LSU last season at Jerryworld. From what I have seen of them this season I think Oregon's defense is what has improved the most in the past year.

kevpks
10/28/2012, 07:48 PM
You can pick out the lame teams of any conference.... they all have them. We are talking the top tiered teams.. Bama, Florida, LSU type teams.

What does that even mean? If that is the case, all you are saying is that you want us to be like Bama and LSU. Auburn was an anomaly, Florida is still rebuilding, and the rest of the SEC is no better than any top team in the Big XII or PAC 10. Does the rest of the conference just dominate in non-conference games?

EatLeadCommie
10/28/2012, 08:06 PM
It's really simple to be honest. They play a different brand of football that is physical at both the O-line and the D-line. That's it. Okay, there's more to it than that, but that's the primary focus. If you can protect the QB and run the ball at will you are good on offense. If your D-line can pressure the other QB and stuff the run you shut them down. Heck, your secondary doesn't have to be all world when your front 7 can get sacks and make a team one dimensional. OU must go back to that type of football and recruit those types of players. I've seen enough of the finesse spread on offense, it works against average to sub-par teams but fails against physical teams the majority of the time. Look, being physical and a run first team isn't flashy, but it wins a lot of football games. This is the reason the SEC has won like 6 championships in a row. Sometimes.. it really is that simple.

Stoops is a great coach and can get this done, but he must change the style with which OU plays. We need an actual O-line that is more of a run blocking line than a pass blocking line. We need guys that can blow people off the line. On defense, we need guys that can actually get pressure and eat up space. Until those 2 things change the results will remain the same, IMHO.

Solid post, but two things need mentioning here. First, the Big 10 plays the same style that the SEC does. Second, Bob Stoops is the guy that brought the spread to the Big 12.

JiminyChristmas
10/28/2012, 08:08 PM
I guarantee we are trying to recruit those SEC d-linemen types, problem is, we can't get them consistently like the SEC can. The very highest tier recruits want to play in the best league. That was one reason for us to join that league.

So, what do you do when you know you don't have the horses to line up and duke it out with them, you've got to try and spread them out and find other advantages. Hurry up offense, lots of shifts, motion, formations, etc.

I would hate to see the result if we tried to just line up in the I with a fullback and just run downhill on people. It wouldn't work. Problem is that our offense is not unique anymore, everyone is doing it and is more prepared to defend it. With the new 4 team playoff, I guess they may not have the extra month to prepare, but even the SEC will be more accustomed to it with Mizzou and aTm over there now.

Here's where it gets interesting. What Kstate is doing with Klein IS unique and putting up big numbers. Guess what, we have our version of that in Bell coming full time next year. I just hope our coaches are keeping every game tape on Kstate this year for an offseason crash course on plays to run. Stoops and the gang can still be learning from Snyder with what he's doing this year.

Soonermagik
10/28/2012, 08:12 PM
What does that even mean? If that is the case, all you are saying is that you want us to be like Bama and LSU. Auburn was an anomaly, Florida is still rebuilding, and the rest of the SEC is no better than any top team in the Big XII or PAC 10. Does the rest of the conference just dominate in non-conference games?

It means these teams have dominated the past decade. Florida has hoisted the crystal ball twice in a decade, so has Bama and LSU. Florida is rebuilding.. they were just #2 in the country this past week. Heck, they could have won that game if their receiver doesn't fumble. My point is that teams that put defense at a premium and play physical football have continually won. You pick out a few dogs at the bottom of their conference and act like that validates some point. Every conference has dogs. Who has won the past 6 titles? How are they doing it???

Soonermagik
10/28/2012, 08:14 PM
Solid post, but two things need mentioning here. First, the Big 10 plays the same style that the SEC does. Second, Bob Stoops is the guy that brought the spread to the Big 12.

Leach did bring the spread to the Big 12, but it just hasn't worked great against physical teams. I agree that the Big 10 has tried the same thing, but I guess I should have mentioned you have to have speed with the physical play. The Big 10 is just... slow. These teams are hard to field, but it's the way to win it all if you ask me.

kenth68
10/28/2012, 10:41 PM
old man football

i'm all for it

picasso
10/28/2012, 11:08 PM
The SEC has a much larger talent pool of good defensive tackles. We've gotten our share from Texas but that's where the bread and butter is.

Or is it slaw and sauce?

TulsaSooners
10/29/2012, 01:09 AM
I think there are some racial undertones in this thread when referring to the SEC "talent pool"...

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
10/29/2012, 06:12 AM
OK. The big physical lines are significant.

But, so is having more scholarship athletes due to gray shirting.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/29/2012, 07:06 AM
It's the black population density of the South. It's an overwhelming number compared to the rest of the nation. Plain and simple. You're getting the best of the best of the best. I do wish Oklahoma would return to old school football though.

SoonerorLater
10/30/2012, 09:26 AM
We can talk about offensive and defensive schemes, play calling etc but having dominant linemen is critical to the success of any program. Controlling the line of scrimmage from both sides of the ball will make average teams good and good teams great. While on any given year one SEC Team might be on the upswing and another on the downswing, the fact is the SEC has been able to present and market themselves as a place where you will be highlighted if you are a great defensive player.

The SEC has a wonderful PR machine. Great defense in the SEC has sort of become self-fufilling.

badger
10/30/2012, 09:27 AM
The reason KSU is going to the Fiesta Bowl is because Bill Snyder teaches them how to tackle. Too bad they're going to lose because they've been getting fat on a diet of Big 12 creampuffs.

Bill Snyder found a way to beat the greatest college team in recent history (the 2003 Oklahoma Sooners pre-Jason White kneejob by KSU). He'll find a way to defeat the almighty SEC. He's done the impossible before (make KSU competitive). He'll do it again before he retires for good.

goingoneight
10/30/2012, 09:45 AM
totally agree with soonermagik. it's won or lost at the line and if you have beasts on the d line you should be able to scheme and compete with anyone.

We had the best OL and arguably the best DL in the country in 2007 and 2008. We were really good then, but still didn't get it done. There's those two areas with which a dominant showing will help you contend... but unplug one of your key cogs anywhere on the field and a good enough team will beat you for it. See: Ryan Reynolds injury vs Texas and DeMarco Murray out against UF. When we've been "SEC good" up front... bad luck has struck us like ground lightning.

jkjsooner
10/30/2012, 09:58 AM
Remember when the Big 12 was a pound it out offensive conference? Remember when the SEC and Miami were throwing the ball around (think Florida in the '90s and Tennessee to a lesser extent) and it was said that our outdated offenses couldn't compete in today's game? (Of course NU did a number on both Florida and Tennessee back then.)

jkjsooner
10/30/2012, 10:07 AM

That is very true but we get fed that "there are no bye weeks in the SEC" bullcrap over and over. I can promise you Auburn is a bye week not to mention the teams listed above.

TitoMorelli
10/30/2012, 10:10 AM
That is very true but we get fed that "there are no bye weeks in the SEC" bullcrap over and over. I can promise you Auburn is a bye week not to mention the teams listed above.

On top of that, SEC schools are able to schedule non-conference cupcakes in late October and November.

jkjsooner
10/30/2012, 10:12 AM
It's the black population density of the South. It's an overwhelming number compared to the rest of the nation. Plain and simple. You're getting the best of the best of the best. I do wish Oklahoma would return to old school football though.

Which is funny because SEC homers seem to think they've always been superior even back in the day when they were all white and everyone else was integrated.

Check out NU's record against the SEC in the '70s through the '90s. Check out their record against SEC champions in that time period. (And in most of those years OU beat NU.) It's really a remarkable stat.

SEC has been dominate as of late and going back to the late '80s to mid 2000's they were often the best conference but it was by no means the given that their fanboys believed it to be.

SoonerorLater
10/30/2012, 10:19 AM
Remember when the Big 12 was a pound it out offensive conference? Remember when the SEC and Miami were throwing the ball around (think Florida in the '90s and Tennessee to a lesser extent) and it was said that our outdated offenses couldn't compete in today's game? (Of course NU did a number on both Florida and Tennessee back then.)

I think the main criticism was that we couldn't seem to throw it all with any consistency. As for me I've never wanted anything but a balanced attack. Maybe that means throwing more one game and running more the next but an offense that can do both. Maybe I'm one of those "unreasonable fans" but I think we should be able to recruit enough talent where we can have a QB line up under center and run a play action offense that features downhill running. In short a pro-style offense.

jkjsooner
10/30/2012, 10:33 AM
I think the main criticism was that we couldn't seem to throw it all with any consistency. As for me I've never wanted anything but a balanced attack. Maybe that means throwing more one game and running more the next but an offense that can do both. Maybe I'm one of those "unreasonable fans" but I think we should be able to recruit enough talent where we can have a QB line up under center and run a play action offense that features downhill running. In short a pro-style offense.

We've had pretty balanced attacks over the last few years. The problem is that the more balanced we got the worse our offense was. When we added Peterson, despite having an incredible offensive line and almost everyone returning, we were simply not as productive offensively as the year before. That hard-nosed balanced team (with an all world RB and returning Heisman QB) got pounded by whatever it is that USC was running.

OkieThunderLion
10/30/2012, 10:36 AM
I agree that K-State is taking the recipe from the SEC and putting it to work on the rest of the Big 12. I realize it's not easy to recruit blue chip DT's, DE's and O-line players, but that's how you win. Plus, teams like K-State find a lot of JUCO guys to fill their needs. I'm just saying OU has the ability to get these types of players. You can still have a vertical passing game, but it shouldn't be the main staple of your offense.

Ask yourselves this.. how many times have you seen high powered offenses get shut down against physical SEC type defenses? These finesse spread offenses need time to work and it doesn't work too well when you have physical defenses harassing the QB. On top of that, your finesse spread team hardly gets to see the field, because their run first offenses are chewing up the clock.

I disagree with this. I don't see much similarity in scheme between KSU and top SEC teams, on either side of the ball.

Are you just saying KSU has a good running game?

SoonerorLater
10/30/2012, 10:58 AM
We've had pretty balanced attacks over the last few years. The problem is that the more balanced we got the worse our offense was. When we added Peterson, despite having an incredible offensive line and almost everyone returning, we were simply not as productive offensively as the year before. That hard-nosed balanced team (with an all world RB and returning Heisman QB) got pounded by whatever it is that USC was running.

USC ran a pretty balanced attack. In that game they ran the ball 28 times and threw it 35. IMO for most of the time Peterson was at OU we didn't really have a great run blocking line. Peterson just required less help up front than most RBs

Soonermagik
10/30/2012, 11:21 AM
I disagree with this. I don't see much similarity in scheme between KSU and top SEC teams, on either side of the ball.

Are you just saying KSU has a good running game?

KSU's running game is with Klein.. think Tebow, Cam Newton etc.. Bill Snyder preaches being physical and getting pressure on defense. They were all over Landry and he's ineffective when he doesn't have time for the finesse offense to setup. I'm not saying KSU is exactly like the SEC teams, but they are taking a similar approach.

swardboy
10/30/2012, 11:24 AM
Maybe this is a good place for this USATODAY article:

Obviously, the easiest way compare how two teams fared against a common opponent is by looking at each game's final score. Kansas State played Oklahoma in Norman. So did Notre Dame.

The Wildcats won by five points. The Irish won by 17 points. Edge, Notre Dame? Not really. Each victory had a different feel: Notre Dame broke Oklahoma's heart, but Kansas State broke the Sooners' back.

A loss is just a loss for OU, which entered Saturday as one of several one-loss teams still lingering around the outskirts of the national championship hunt. The loss to Kansas State put OU behind the eight ball in the race for the national title. The loss to Notre Dame ended any hope of BCS glory.

Could Oklahoma have reached the BCS championship game with one loss? There was a chance, even if the Sooners needed help when it came to teams like Oregon, USC, Florida and others. Could OU have earned an at-large BCS bid with one loss? Absolutely.

Now, at 5-2 overall and 3-1 in the Big 12, Oklahoma's only chance at reaching the BCS comes via a conference championship.
And what chance does OU have in the Big 12? Here's the problem: Kansas State owns the tiebreaker and the better record. Basically, Oklahoma's only shot comes if it runs the table and the Wildcats lose twice down the stretch.

But to even be in the BCS conversation, OU needs to run the table. What does Oklahoma need to fix before embarking on a five-game winning streak?

1. Start running the football. Oklahoma ran the ball 22 times against Notre Dame, not counting two sacks. This offense is better with a dedicated running game. So what's the problem? It's not just about feeding the running backs; it's about being physical enough to control the line of scrimmage and the tempo, and OU has shown no signs of regaining the sort of toughness that defined Bob Stoops' early teams.
So it's about more than just running for the sake of running. OU is simply too finesse-based to beat physical teams like Kansas State and Notre Dame.

2. Make Blake Bell a bigger piece of the offense. Bell, a sophomore, is now used primarily in short-yardage situations. He's great in this role, helping OU rank second nationally in red zone conversions heading into Saturday. But with 2013 looming, it's time for Bell to serve in a larger role in the offense.

Eventually, down the road, Oklahoma will appreciate Landry Jones' statistical consistency. But with the Sooners sitting in the background of the BCS race, Stoops and his staff need to start thinking about next season.

Moving Bell into a bigger role does two things for Oklahoma. One, it gives the sophomore more experience heading into 2013. Two, it gives Oklahoma a different identity at quarterback – tougher, less finesse.

3. Evaluate the coaching staff. Specifically, Stoops should evaluate whether co-offensive coordinators Jay Norvell and Josh Heupel can remake OU's offense or whether he needs to bring in a new voice.

The fan base is clamoring for a shift to a pro-style mentality. Kansas State is showing that despite the Big 12's move to pass, the best offense remains one that can control the clock while dictating the flow of play. If Stoops decides to implement a more physical system, he needs to spend the next five games testing not just merely his roster but also his staff of offensive assistants.

From here, Oklahoma's dream is to finish 5-0 while Kansas State loses two of its last four. That would leave the Sooners at 10-2, 8-1 in the Big 12, while KSU would be 10-2, 7-2 in the Big 12. Hello, Fiesta Bowl.

But at this point, isn't planning for 2013 more important than winning 10 games during the regular season? And couldn't OU do both – become tougher on offense and still close strong?

Curly Bill
10/30/2012, 11:35 AM
Me likey that USA Today article!

SoonerorLater
10/30/2012, 11:52 AM
Normally I dismiss these national writers but I agree with this guy in principle if not in actual reality, at least at this point. I would love for us to implement the changes but we just don't have the horses of front right now. The trouble is that it doesn't look like we have the recruits coming in to make the changes next year. What i'm afraid of is if we don't change our offense we are likely to waste 2 years of Blake Bell since our current system just doesn't work to his strengths. The Belldozer has been a success but it's not something you can run 30-40 times a game.

PLaw
10/30/2012, 03:13 PM
Power >>> Finesse.

Run the ball to set up the pass.

Boomer

stoops the eternal pimp
10/30/2012, 03:22 PM
The SEC has a much larger talent pool of good defensive tackles. We've gotten our share from Texas but that's where the bread and butter is.

Or is it slaw and sauce?

And the main reason texas has sucked the last few years..their high schools aren't cranking out these top OL/DL right now..

jkjsooner
10/30/2012, 04:25 PM
The Wildcats won by five points. The Irish won by 17 points. Edge, Notre Dame? Not really. Each victory had a different feel: Notre Dame broke Oklahoma's heart, but Kansas State broke the Sooners' back.

I knew the point spread was going to come up. While we were outplayed by Notre Dame, the 17 point spread is terribly deceiving. We were tied with about 7 minutes left in the game.

Notre Dame had a good drive to go ahead by 7.
We threw an INT to give them great field position. They capitalized with a field goal I believe. (???)
We then went into desperation mode and went for it on fourth down deep in our territory. We turned over on downs and ND capitalized on it.
We then had the ball at the half yard line at the end of the game. Had we had a little of time we would have punched it in with the Belldozer. Due to time constraints we threw the ball and, well, you know what happened.

These close games can easily turn into 17 point wins if one team is desperate at the end of the game. Credit is due to ND for outplaying us but anyone who watched that game knows that it was a close game.

cleller
10/30/2012, 05:28 PM
Think there will ever be another Mike Leach type that comes up with yet another offense that could befuddle opponents, at least in the short run?
Has it all been tried now?

Probably a lot of OC's think of gimmicks, but realize they are only temporary fixes.

DBrown
10/30/2012, 11:58 PM
60 minutes.
That was the answer given by Patrick Fain Dye in response to those gathered at his first press conference when asked,"How long will it take you to beat Alabama?"
You DON'T have to or may not be better than your opponent all the time,JUST BE BETTER THAN THEM FOR 60 MINUTES and if nothing else,leave them going into
the next week KNOWING BEYOND DOUBT that they did play somebody.
That's just one part of a winning foundation,but it's a good place to start.

Soonermagik
10/31/2012, 10:39 PM
Maybe this is a good place for this USATODAY article:

Obviously, the easiest way compare how two teams fared against a common opponent is by looking at each game's final score. Kansas State played Oklahoma in Norman. So did Notre Dame.

A loss is just a loss for OU, which entered Saturday as one of several one-loss teams still lingering around the outskirts of the national championship hunt. The loss to Kansas State put OU behind the eight ball in the race for the national title. The loss to Notre Dame ended any hope of BCS glory.

Could Oklahoma have reached the BCS championship game with one loss? There was a chance, even if the Sooners needed help when it came to teams like Oregon, USC, Florida and others. Could OU have earned an at-large BCS bid with one loss? Absolutely.

Now, at 5-2 overall and 3-1 in the Big 12, Oklahoma's only chance at reaching the BCS comes via a conference championship.
And what chance does OU have in the Big 12? Here's the problem: Kansas State owns the tiebreaker and the better record. Basically, Oklahoma's only shot comes if it runs the table and the Wildcats lose twice down the stretch.

But to even be in the BCS conversation, OU needs to run the table. What does Oklahoma need to fix before embarking on a five-game winning streak?

1. Start running the football. Oklahoma ran the ball 22 times against Notre Dame, not counting two sacks. This offense is better with a dedicated running game. So what's the problem? It's not just about feeding the running backs; it's about being physical enough to control the line of scrimmage and the tempo, and OU has shown no signs of regaining the sort of toughness that defined Bob Stoops' early teams.
So it's about more than just running for the sake of running. OU is simply too finesse-based to beat physical teams like Kansas State and Notre Dame.

2. Make Blake Bell a bigger piece of the offense. Bell, a sophomore, is now used primarily in short-yardage situations. He's great in this role, helping OU rank second nationally in red zone conversions heading into Saturday. But with 2013 looming, it's time for Bell to serve in a larger role in the offense.

Eventually, down the road, Oklahoma will appreciate Landry Jones' statistical consistency. But with the Sooners sitting in the background of the BCS race, Stoops and his staff need to start thinking about next season.

Moving Bell into a bigger role does two things for Oklahoma. One, it gives the sophomore more experience heading into 2013. Two, it gives Oklahoma a different identity at quarterback – tougher, less finesse.

3. Evaluate the coaching staff. Specifically, Stoops should evaluate whether co-offensive coordinators Jay Norvell and Josh Heupel can remake OU's offense or whether he needs to bring in a new voice.

The fan base is clamoring for a shift to a pro-style mentality. Kansas State is showing that despite the Big 12's move to pass, the best offense remains one that can control the clock while dictating the flow of play. If Stoops decides to implement a more physical system, he needs to spend the next five games testing not just merely his roster but also his staff of offensive assistants.

From here, Oklahoma's dream is to finish 5-0 while Kansas State loses two of its last four. That would leave the Sooners at 10-2, 8-1 in the Big 12, while KSU would be 10-2, 7-2 in the Big 12. Hello, Fiesta Bowl.

But at this point, isn't planning for 2013 more important than winning 10 games during the regular season? And couldn't OU do both – become tougher on offense and still close strong?

Great article!!!