PDA

View Full Version : Got a non political question about Obamacare/medicare.

cleller
10/28/2012, 04:59 PM
With medicare, you've always had to have so many quarters that you paid in to be eligible to draw it when you hit 65. Will it still be the same way under Obamacare, or will all that change?

As unbelievable as it sounds, my former employer did not withdraw medicare from my check because we were covered by a pension system. It was only for persons hired in a certain few years they did this, but I got caught in it. I even requested to have them start and one point, and they said it was not possible. I had some quarters already from HS and college jobs; I am currently "self employed" at ranching. I know there is a way I can pay in or buy quarters toward Medicare; or just get another job until I achieve the amount needed.

Just wondering which way to plan.

pphilfran
10/28/2012, 05:05 PM
Did they withhold SS?

With the new healthcare plan it doesn't matter how much you have paid in in the past...you will either get insurance through work or buy a plan on your own...

olevetonahill
10/28/2012, 05:06 PM
No clue Bro
Call SS an ax them. Or go online

pphilfran
10/28/2012, 05:11 PM
Or are you wondering about what happens when you turn 65?

If that is the case as far as I know, nothing has changed...

cleller
10/28/2012, 05:48 PM
Or are you wondering about what happens when you turn 65?

If that is the case as far as I know, nothing has changed...

Did they withhold SS?

With the new healthcare plan it doesn't matter how much you have paid in in the past...you will either get insurance through work or buy a plan on your own...

Nope, didn't withhold SS either, so I don't get that, also. Fine by me. I put it to better use.

So, yep I'm wondering what happens NOW when I turn 65. Will I be denied Medicare, unless I buy my way in?

Ironic that you can work, pay taxes, etc and be denied because of your employer's policies. I have SS statements showing what I paid in over the years long ago, and it states I will not be eligible for either SS or Medicare. Guess I need to learn a foreign language, and pretend to be illegal.

pphilfran
10/28/2012, 06:18 PM
Nope, didn't withhold SS either, so I don't get that, also. Fine by me. I put it to better use.

So, yep I'm wondering what happens NOW when I turn 65. Will I be denied Medicare, unless I buy my way in?

Ironic that you can work, pay taxes, etc and be denied because of your employer's policies. I have SS statements showing what I paid in over the years long ago, and it states I will not be eligible for either SS or Medicare. Guess I need to learn a foreign language, and pretend to be illegal.

Were you an independent contractor or work as a teacher in certain states? There were very few exemptions...

cleller
10/28/2012, 06:26 PM
Were you an independent contractor or work as a teacher in certain states? There were very few exemptions...

Nope. Tulsa Police Dept. Crazy deal.

olevetonahill
10/28/2012, 07:43 PM

If you are self employed NOW , then you should be paying it in on yourself now
I think 5 years used to be the minimum

cleller
10/28/2012, 08:04 PM
I really didn't want to have to research the govt websites, the just depress me. I did find this fairly easy and quick:

Most Medicare enrollees do not pay a monthly Part A premium, because they (or a spouse) have had 40 or more quarters (10 years) in which they paid Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) taxes. Medicare-eligible persons who do not have 40 or more quarters of Medicare-covered employment may purchase Part A for a monthly premium ranging from $248 to $450. All Part B enrollees must pay a monthly premium ranging from $96 to $238, based on income.

I'm just wondering if in the future it won't matter what you paid, how old you are, etc. "The USA Govt Insurance plan is here and you pay this much. Good luck"??

olevetonahill
10/28/2012, 08:15 PM
Call Obammy, Im sure he will be glad to hep ya out

rock on sooner
10/28/2012, 08:27 PM
There's a good chance that your employer might have screwed up. You
should check with an attorney that specializes in employee benefits. Not
sure but something seems not right.

cleller
10/28/2012, 08:51 PM
There's a good chance that your employer might have screwed up. You
should check with an attorney that specializes in employee benefits. Not
sure but something seems not right.

They did this in Tulsa from around 1978-1984. Lots of people affected have repeatedly tried to do something about it, to no avail. Its all legal, with no recourse or make-ups.

rock on sooner
10/28/2012, 09:04 PM
They did this in Tulsa from around 1978-1984. Lots of people affected have repeatedly tried to do something about it, to no avail. Its all legal, with no recourse or make-ups.

Wow! Really? No class action?

rock on sooner
10/28/2012, 09:07 PM

SS depends on the number of quarters that you worked (40) but I don't know
about Medicare/Medicaid. I think it is something similar, though.

cleller
10/28/2012, 09:29 PM
Wow! Really? No class action?

Apparently, that's just the way it was done at the time, and it was in line with the existing laws and regulations, so there's no recourse. People have actually retired early to take other jobs to earn the quarters.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/29/2012, 12:05 AM
Can't speak to the Medicare exactly, but if you were part of a "qualifying pension" that exempts Medicare contributions, shouldn't the trade-off be some sort of health care coverage? Possibly an option for inclusion into the TPD plan when you retired?

It's only a SS exclusion now. But like you said, because of the qualified pension status, we're only eligible to receive half of whatever SS credits we've earned prior to employment with a qualified pension. If that was the case with your Medicare contributions, did part of your retirement include the roll-up when Police/Fire left City of Tulsa health coverage? Did you have the option to extend coverage with the specific TPD plan (outside of COBRA) on retirement?

I take it you paid NO FICA over your career with TPD?

diverdog
10/29/2012, 06:07 AM

Did you retire from there? Doesn't the state pick up your medical care if you retire as a cop?

cleller
10/29/2012, 08:04 AM
Can't speak to the Medicare exactly, but if you were part of a "qualifying pension" that exempts Medicare contributions, shouldn't the trade-off be some sort of health care coverage? Possibly an option for inclusion into the TPD plan when you retired?

It's only a SS exclusion now. But like you said, because of the qualified pension status, we're only eligible to receive half of whatever SS credits we've earned prior to employment with a qualified pension. If that was the case with your Medicare contributions, did part of your retirement include the roll-up when Police/Fire left City of Tulsa health coverage? Did you have the option to extend coverage with the specific TPD plan (outside of COBRA) on retirement?

I take it you paid NO FICA over your career with TPD?

Did you retire from there? Doesn't the state pick up your medical care if you retire as a cop?

Yes, I retired from TPD, and I can stay on the TPD health plan as long as I like, but I have to pay the premiums myself, no contribution from the city, state, etc. The plan they have with Rooney Ins is pretty good, as long as you are employed, and the city is kicking in on the premiums. I could get about the same coverage for about the same cost on the open market, though.
No, the city never took out FICA, I guess (no ss or medicare) just withholding tax for the IRS. In Oklahoma, the state does not pay any medical benefits, etc for police. That's why I understand the outrage at some of the crazy benefits these teachers and public employees get up North. How can the states afford that?

So, it just boils down to the fact that when I'm 65 the insurance is likely to be too expensive to afford, and I need to find a way to make sure I'm eligible for Medicare, or whatever the govt has in its place then.
My wife was self-employed for awhile, and I handled all the various payments to the Treasury for estimated taxes, SS, Medicare, etc. It is kind of a mini-nightmare, and hard to get right until you get the hang of it. Now I've forgotten.
I would basically have to pay myself $4,000/yr then send in forms and checks paying about half back to the US Treasury, and the state. A quagmire.

olevetonahill
10/29/2012, 08:15 AM
Yes, I retired from TPD, and I can stay on the TPD health plan as long as I like, but I have to pay the premiums myself, no contribution from the city, state, etc. The plan they have with Rooney Ins is pretty good, as long as you are employed, and the city is kicking in on the premiums. I could get about the same coverage for about the same cost on the open market, though.
No, the city never took out FICA, I guess (no ss or medicare) just withholding tax for the IRS. In Oklahoma, the state does not pay any medical benefits, etc for police. That's why I understand the outrage at some of the crazy benefits these teachers and public employees get up North. How can the states afford that?

So, it just boils down to the fact that when I'm 65 the insurance is likely to be too expensive to afford, and I need to find a way to make sure I'm eligible for Medicare, or whatever the govt has in its place then.
My wife was self-employed for awhile, and I handled all the various payments to the Treasury for estimated taxes, SS, Medicare, etc. It is kind of a mini-nightmare, and hard to get right until you get the hang of it. Now I've forgotten.
I would basically have to pay myself $4,000/yr then send in forms and checks paying about half back to the US Treasury, and the state. A quagmire.

If yer wife werked , Then draw on her?

badger
10/29/2012, 09:14 AM
If you are not above retail grind, pretty much every store out there is hiring seasonal help for the holiday season. If you make a good enough impression they'd probably keep you on after the holidays.

Some places don't want to hire older workers, because they worry they're just biding their time till they can get a better job. But, if you come in as a bored retiree that wants to do something productive with his free time, I think they'd be more open to that. There were several like that back at the retail places I used to work in college.

You should probably consult an attorney on the matter though. If you need to do it on the cheap, I think the annual free attorney time is coming up in either March or April. Not sure, don't quote me. Plus, they only do that for a few days, so the waiting line is probably atrocious.

cleller
10/29/2012, 09:42 AM
If yer wife werked , Then draw on her?

Ya, the wife is set up well for SS and Medicare if it survives. Her SS would greatly offset my insurance problems.

If you are not above retail grind, pretty much every store out there is hiring seasonal help for the holiday season. If you make a good enough impression they'd probably keep you on after the holidays.

Some places don't want to hire older workers, because they worry they're just biding their time till they can get a better job. But, if you come in as a bored retiree that wants to do something productive with his free time, I think they'd be more open to that. There were several like that back at the retail places I used to work in college.

You should probably consult an attorney on the matter though. If you need to do it on the cheap, I think the annual free attorney time is coming up in either March or April. Not sure, don't quote me. Plus, they only do that for a few days, so the waiting line is probably atrocious.

Who you calling older? Get me in a huff and shizzle.

I'm working on a little deal to become the part time maintenance guy at our church. I feel like I should not accept money for the deal, but maybe this could be tailored to help with the issue....

olevetonahill
10/29/2012, 09:47 AM
Ya, the wife is set up well for SS and Medicare if it survives. Her SS would greatly offset my insurance problems.

Who you calling older? Get me in a huff and shizzle.

I'm working on a little deal to become the part time maintenance guy at our church. I feel like I should not accept money for the deal, but maybe this could be tailored to help with the issue....

Not what I meant Bro
If yer wife qualifies then so do you under HER benefits . You can draw SS under hER earnings Just like anyone elses wife can draw under the Husbands .
You aint got a Prob Bro

cleller
10/29/2012, 02:18 PM
Not what I meant Bro
If yer wife qualifies then so do you under HER benefits . You can draw SS under hER earnings Just like anyone elses wife can draw under the Husbands .
You aint got a Prob Bro

That dawned on me after I replied. There must be something like that set up to take care of your average homemaker, stay at home mom, whatever the term today is. They couldn't be left out in the cold.
I'll be a kept man. Now I got more research to do.

edit:
Don't know I could have been so dumb not to think of that. This is from SSA:

Hospital Insurance (also known as Part A)
If You Are 65 or Older

Most people 65 or older are eligible for Medicare hospital insurance (Part A) based on their own—or their spouse's— employment. You are eligible at 65 if you:

Receive Social Security or railroad retirement benefits;
Are not getting Social Security or railroad retirement benefits, but you have worked long enough to be eligible for them;
Would be entitled to Social Security benefits based on your spouse's (or divorced spouse's) work record, and that spouse is at least 62 (your spouse does not have to apply for benefits in order for you to be eligible based on your spouse's work) ;or
Worked long enough in a federal, state, or local government job to be insured for Medicare.

olevetonahill
10/29/2012, 02:48 PM
That dawned on me after I replied. There must be something like that set up to take care of your average homemaker, stay at home mom, whatever the term today is. They couldn't be left out in the cold.
I'll be a kept man. Now I got more research to do.

edit:
Don't know I could have been so dumb not to think of that. This is from SSA:

Hospital Insurance (also known as Part A)
If You Are 65 or Older

Most people 65 or older are eligible for Medicare hospital insurance (Part A) based on their own—or their spouse's— employment. You are eligible at 65 if you:

Receive Social Security or railroad retirement benefits;
Are not getting Social Security or railroad retirement benefits, but you have worked long enough to be eligible for them;
Would be entitled to Social Security benefits based on your spouse's (or divorced spouse's) work record, and that spouse is at least 62 (your spouse does not have to apply for benefits in order for you to be eligible based on your spouse's work) ;or
Worked long enough in a federal, state, or local government job to be insured for Medicare.

After you said yer wife werked and Paid in , I knew you were good Bro

Tulsa_Fireman
10/29/2012, 02:57 PM
In Oklahoma, the state does not pay any medical benefits, etc for police. That's why I understand the outrage at some of the crazy benefits these teachers and public employees get up North. How can the states afford that?

They don't for firefighters either but to listen to some folks around here, you'd think we're raping Granny Taxpayer in the public square.

olevetonahill
10/29/2012, 03:00 PM
They don't for firefighters either but to listen to some folks around here, you'd think we're raping Granny Taxpayer in the public square.

I know how you guys are, You wait till ya get her in the back of the fire house.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/29/2012, 03:04 PM
Don't let the old pattern skirt and wrinkles fool ya.

She's a wildcat.

olevetonahill
10/29/2012, 03:13 PM
Don't let the old pattern skirt and wrinkles fool ya.

She's a wildcat.

:biggrin:

StoopTroup
10/30/2012, 03:56 PM
It will all be fine once Romney is elected Tuesday. Stop with the politics and just start sending Cleller some Money. Let's set up a little fund so we can all send him some money to cover his expenses. Then he doesn't have to live off the Government tit.

I know this will be a much better system. Plus if he gets sick....he can just go to the ER.