PDA

View Full Version : Stoops Said They Didn't Prepare Any For ND The Week of The Kansas Game

FaninAma
10/28/2012, 02:46 PM
I didn't really believe him when he said that but I do now. I wonder who QB'd the scout team against the starting defense? It should have been Kendal Thompson.

EatLeadCommie
10/28/2012, 02:54 PM
Thompson can't run like his dad.

And I may be dense, but I didn't expect ND to start the QB that they did. In any event, he wasn't the problem. Heupel trying to establish a run game against a weak secondary was. I think Josh has done a good job as OC, but last night he was just dumb. Like Chuck Long against LSU dumb. And it didn't help that Landry wasn't nailing his throws.

One4OU
10/28/2012, 02:57 PM

And I may be dense, but I didn't expect ND to start the QB that they did. In any event, he wasn't the problem. Heupel trying to establish a run game against a weak secondary was. I think Josh has done a good job as OC, but last night he was just dumb. Like Chuck Long against LSU dumb. And it didn't help that Landry wasn't nailing his throws.

This...^^^^^

SoonerorLater
10/28/2012, 03:01 PM
In hindsight it should have been pass, pass pass between the 20's and the Belldozer after that but for me it's hard to criticize trying to establish a running game. It just didn't work because they were too good up front. Maybe we should have done things differently but ND won last night because they were the better team.

kenth68
10/28/2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah, the play calling was ridiculous I thought. It's as if we get caught up in wanting to break certain records or stats, like being the first in a year to score a rushing touchdown on ND, or establishing a run offense because we're advertised as being unable to against a team like ND. It's also not unlike boasting about beating Texas when confronted with a blown NC outlook. We seem to lose sight of the big picture.

The hurry-up pass was ripping our way down the field. Then we'd try to run on 2nd and long. While we do need a run to balance the offense, ND wasn't the time to experiment or try to set up some plays to brag about. Just do what works and win the effing game.

Landry wasn't too bad. But he gets rattled when things go south. But overall, he did well and could have done better if the coaches had just had him throw instead of trying to establish a run, which obviously wasn't working. Too, what were they doing on the sideline. We'd be cruising along, then almost run out the play clock while Landry was waiting on the signal. Give him a play and go. I don't know if it's "Co" offensive coordinators conflicting or what. Get off the pot and give him a play, the hesitation is only helping the defense to set.

EatLeadCommie
10/28/2012, 03:06 PM
In hindsight? Hell, I was saying that after the 1st series. They couldn't stop the pass. The sure couldn't stop the hurry up and for some reason we abandoned it 4 plays into the game. WTF?

En_Fuego
10/28/2012, 03:19 PM

Classic !

Thank you !

Breadburner
10/28/2012, 03:32 PM
Heupel wasn't the problem as much as mike stoops was. Mike's defense got abused and exposed all night.

Lol.....How many points did the O score again...???

FaninAma
10/28/2012, 03:36 PM
My retired uncle is a huge ND fan who keeps up with the program pretty closely and he told me last week the guy who started against BYU wouldn't start against OU.

I thought the the guy who started against us with just coming off an injury or something. So what is the deal? Who would of thought the ND coaches really willing to start the better player even though he wasn't the senior?

BeaSooner
10/28/2012, 05:46 PM
My retired uncle is a huge ND fan who keeps up with the program pretty closely and he told me last week the guy who started against BYU wouldn't start against OU.

I thought the the guy who started against us with just coming off an injury or something. So what is the deal? Who would of thought the ND coaches really willing to start the better player even though he wasn't the senior?

I don't even know what you are saying here. Isn't that against the rules or something?

soonercastor
10/28/2012, 05:53 PM
Not sure what you guys are talking about, it was well known that Golston was going to be the starter.

Widescreen
10/28/2012, 06:37 PM
Exactly. Kelly said last weekend that if Golson passed his tests on Monday he would start. He passed his test so we've known since Monday Golson would be the guy.

FaninAma
10/28/2012, 06:56 PM
Exactly. Kelly said last weekend that if Golson passed his tests on Monday he would start. He passed his test so we've known since Monday Golson would be the guy.

So if you are deficient you can still practice? Is this an extra ND requirement? It sounds like academics may be the only thing standing between this young man and a great career.

OUTrumpet
10/28/2012, 07:15 PM
So if you are deficient you can still practice? Is this an extra ND requirement? It sounds like academics may be the only thing standing between this young man and a great career.

It was a concussion test, not academic.

olevetonahill
10/28/2012, 08:09 PM
I dont think they prepared any for ND The week of the ND Game

5noubus
10/28/2012, 08:27 PM
What I couldn't believe is the play their qb had to sit out after he was sacked-
The back up qb just waltzed in there and threw a perfect pass on 3 rd down. Wth?

OUTrumpet
10/28/2012, 09:14 PM
What I couldn't believe is the play their qb had to sit out after he was sacked-
The back up qb just waltzed in there and threw a perfect pass on 3 rd down. Wth?

I think the backup has played a lot due to the concussion of the 1st teamer. I know he played the game against Stanford.

jkjsooner
10/28/2012, 09:16 PM
In hindsight it should have been pass, pass pass between the 20's and the Belldozer after that but for me it's hard to criticize trying to establish a running game. It just didn't work because they were too good up front. Maybe we should have done things differently but ND won last night because they were the better team.

For a while, yes, but at some point it makes no sense. It's a little late to be establishing the run well into the third quarter when you've had absolutely no success up to that point.

If you still want to establish a run game then do it on first down or on run downs. You don't run on second a ten (a passing down) late in the game when the run isn't working.

In the end it is about winning the game not some chess match. Sometimes you can't run and they know it. Sucks and it puts the defense at an advantage but it is what it is.

Someone said earlier that play-action doesn't work without a rushing threat. That's true but then you abandon play-action. Watch a few NFL games and you'll see plenty of teams who can't run the ball and will abandon it (and play action) if they need to.

bluedogok
10/28/2012, 09:26 PM
Their "backup" is a junior that was the starter for most of the two previous seasons, he replaced Crist (now at KU) as the starter his freshman year. He was suspended the first game of the season this year and has played when Golson has been out due to injury. He is not a green Landry coming in for Bradford.

SoonerMachine
10/28/2012, 10:08 PM
In hindsight? Hell, I was saying that after the 1st series. They couldn't stop the pass. The sure couldn't stop the hurry up and for some reason we abandoned it 4 plays into the game. WTF?

Yep, that's when a bad feeling started to sink in...