PDA

View Full Version : Moving on: The Notre Dame band.

cleller
10/28/2012, 02:13 PM
Not a huge band person, but I'll allow the ND band was good. The best received band I've personally seen seen the ATM band and cadets got a standing ovation in 1999. Of course we were kicking their team's butts at the time.

Anyway, I was mildly impressed until toward the end of one number a bunch of skirt wearing drum majors started twirling around on the west sidelines. I know kilts are supposedly manly some places, but twirling them around on Owen Field is not manly at all.

mdklatt
10/28/2012, 06:30 PM
Anyway, I was mildly impressed until toward the end of one number a bunch of skirt wearing drum majors started twirling around on the west sidelines.

That's not what drum major is. I don't know what those dudes were supposed to be. The guys around me were joking that their bagpipes must have gotten lost by the airline. WTF, is there such a thing as Irish highlanders? Until the left the field I thought they were going to start Riverdancing or something. Weird.

yermom
10/28/2012, 06:40 PM
they had two drum majors

i think those were their flag dudes

soonersweetie
10/28/2012, 06:55 PM
I thought they sounded good.

I was , and still am, annoyed that we let them play that fight song of theirs on our field.

We would never allow TX to do that, if they were ever allowed in Norman.

Seamus
10/28/2012, 07:17 PM
1. Not skirts. K-I-L-T-S. Unbifurcated men's apparel.

2. Kilts are the manliest piece of clothing ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE.

3. You have deep-seated homosexual tendencies if you believe otherwise.

4. Hot day? Cool breeze against your balls is a delight. Cold day or night? Frosty air against your balls tests your manliness.

5. Kilts are not limited to just the Highlanders. There are traditional Scottish clans from all of Scotland. Think the Lowlands, Islay and Speyside, for you Scotch fans.

6. And the kilt is also a part of Ireland's lore. Check out any image of Bouddica, the Celtic warrior queen. She'll be rocking the kilt.

7. Bouddica was more manly than 91 percent of American men, and 100 percent more manly than All American men college age or younger.

8. These people came up with whiskey and Scotch whisky, so their manliness cannot be disputed.

9. I have three kilts. I am at least three times more manly than you, and probably a damn sight more.

King Barry's Back
10/28/2012, 08:34 PM
yes we would. opposing team bands are always invited to perform, and no school would ever say you couldn't play your own fight song.

EatLeadCommie
10/28/2012, 08:39 PM
Kilts are manly if worn by Braveheart.

And that's pretty much it.

yermom
10/28/2012, 08:41 PM
it wasn't the kilts that were the issue, it was the prancing and twirling

Seamus
10/28/2012, 10:58 PM
Kilts are manly if worn by Braveheart.

And that's pretty much it.

See Point 3 of my post above. :chuncky:

8timechamps
10/28/2012, 10:59 PM
I'm glad the band was entertaining, but did anyone else want to throat punch the Leprechaun?

tycat947
10/28/2012, 11:43 PM
I also noticed, with binoculars, that most of the ND band members had their music attached to their instrument (they were flipping pages for different songs) and members of the Pride did not (or very few, if there were any).

Seamus
10/29/2012, 12:00 AM
I'm glad the band was entertaining, but did anyone else want to throat punch the Leprechaun?

Yes. Despite the part of my blood that runs thick with the waters of the Rivers Liffey and Shannon, I despise that little prick.

TahoeSOONER
10/29/2012, 12:26 AM
8. These people came up with whiskey and Scotch whisky, so their manliness cannot be disputed.

Other than this ^ I'll note the other BS in my I don't give a **** book.

MichiganSooner
10/29/2012, 11:10 AM
Bands in the traditional Big 10 area, including Notre Dame, don't memorize their music. They put it on lyres and flip through the pages. Wimps.

PrideMom
10/29/2012, 11:12 AM
I didn't understand the Scot kilts on an Irish band. Can someone explain that to me. Do the Irish also wear kilts??

Seamus
10/29/2012, 12:19 PM
Most Irish kilt tartans came about in the 19th and early 20th century. It originated in Scotland and became a symbol of Celtic unity (Irish Gales had migrated there, merging with existing Picts to form the Kingdom of Scotland).

Some Irish refer to Scots as "Irish 2.0."

tycat947
10/29/2012, 01:07 PM
Bands in the traditional Big 10 area, including Notre Dame, don't memorize their music. They put it on lyres and flip through the pages. Wimps.

Didn't realized that! I know that Ohio State and Michigan are almost always 2 of the top bands in the country every year.