PDA

View Full Version : Switzer was right...

Therealsouthsider
10/28/2012, 10:49 AM
...OU doesn't have the horses.

there isn't any real leadership on either side of the ball for a game winning drive or stop. Who can the offense or defense look to in those situations? With the game in the balance, ND had players on both sides of the ball step up and make a play while we were grasping at straws

kevpks
10/28/2012, 11:36 AM
Jefferson was playing his heart out. That fumble he caused and ran back was a game changer. I was at the game, so I couldn't tell if the guy was down but it looked pretty close. The front seven needs to get better though.

TahoeSOONER
10/28/2012, 11:40 AM
He was down

soonertodd
10/28/2012, 12:25 PM
ND just owned the line of scrimmage we couldnt run on them and they ran on us. and yes the King is always right

En_Fuego
10/28/2012, 12:45 PM
LONG LIVE THE KING !

basel90
10/28/2012, 01:46 PM
Our recruiting has been suspect with , what's his name ? Kittle.?..? Where did stoops dig him from?

East Coast Bias
10/28/2012, 04:21 PM
Switzer was definitely right. Our line on both sides of the ball is not good enought to play with the elite teams. It was said a couple of weeks ago, we are second tier at this point and there is truth in that. We are on par with the VT's and Michigans until we get better talent up front. Beating OU in Norman is losing it's shine. The best comparison of the line talent levels for me is seen on the goal line. We put in the belldozer, big blocking backs and try to gimmick the ball forward. Did anyone note ND on the goal line? Golson is in the backfield with NO BACKS and goes right in behind his line.

East Coast Bias
10/28/2012, 04:26 PM
I thought our team played hard and the coaching was good, we just got beat by a stronger team.My only complaint was the backs dropping the passes. Williams and Clay both dropped passes between the numbers....

MichiganSooner
10/28/2012, 04:31 PM
This year's team is not a national championship team; I hoped it would be. We have lost to 2 unbeaten teams. I believe we will not lose another game. I thought the players played hard and the coaches did a good job with them.

tulsaoilerfan
10/28/2012, 04:43 PM
This year's team is not a national championship team; I hoped it would be. We have lost to 2 unbeaten teams. I believe we will not lose another game. I thought the players played hard and the coaches did a good job with them.

The discouraging part is we haven't been national championship caliber since 2008; we thought last year was the year but we all know how that turned out

SoonerorLater
10/28/2012, 05:10 PM
Once you start down the road to mediocrity it's hard to right the ship back on the National Championship path. Just look at once perennial NC contenders like Nebraska, Michigan, Miami, Florida State and Penn St. (even before all the problems). All of these programs have a common denominator,,,coaching. In each case it's a program that churned coaches or a program that the coaches stayed too long. Figuring where we are on that spectrum is the problem.

jk the sooner fan
10/28/2012, 05:12 PM
there were a ton of matchup problems last night

that ginormous tight end against our smaller lb/db's
that ginormous nose tackle against Ikard

a few others - they play a different style of football and it showed....Stoops has created a system to compete in the big 12 and really not against any other style of play or conference......the bowl games and big non conference games are testament to that in my opinion

kevpks
10/28/2012, 05:18 PM
there were a ton of matchup problems last night

that ginormous tight end against our smaller lb/db's
that ginormous nose tackle against Ikard

a few others - they play a different style of football and it showed....Stoops has created a system to compete in the big 12 and really not against any other style of play or conference......the bowl games and big non conference games are testament to that in my opinion

What other big non-conference games have we lost recently? We beat FSU twice; Cincy twice. We lost to Miami and BYU in 2009. Are there any others? I agree on the bowl games I guess, but our regular season non-conference record is really good under Stoops for his whole tenure.

jk the sooner fan
10/28/2012, 05:38 PM
i was talking primarily about bowl games (i.e. the SEC)

i wouldnt consider Cincy a "big non-conference" game

bluedogok
10/28/2012, 06:27 PM
No other teams tend to fare well against the top of the SEC, like I said elsewhere, it seems the SEC plays by their own set of rule interpretations. It isn't like a mid-level also ran in the SEC has come out and beat OU consistently. The last time (that I can remember) a mid-level SEC team beating OU was the 1999 Independence Bowl game against Ole Miss.

I also think that officiating differences between conferences comes into play a little bit, what gets called as PI and holding in the Big 12 doesn't seem to be called as much by other conferences. It isn't as prominent as basketball officiating but I think it has affected how close the DB's can play a receiver. I think that was very evident in the games against LSU and Florida because most of what their DB's were doing all game would have got a flag in the Big 12.

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2012, 06:52 PM
No other teams tend to fare well against the top of the SEC, like I said elsewhere, it seems the SEC plays by their own set of rule interpretations. It isn't like a mid-level also ran in the SEC has come out and beat OU consistently. The last time (that I can remember) a mid-level SEC team beating OU was the 1999 Independence Bowl game against Ole Miss.

I also think that officiating differences between conferences comes into play a little bit, what gets called as PI and holding in the Big 12 doesn't seem to be called as much by other conferences. It isn't as prominent as basketball officiating but I think it has affected how close the DB's can play a receiver. I think that was very evident in the games against LSU and Florida because most of what their DB's were doing all game would have got a flag in the Big 12.

I don't know which refs did the LSU game, but it was big east that did the Florida game just like last night. So the big east refs may be similar to the SEC because they definitely let things go that big12 refs flag. I know you have to play the style your conference allows, but I agree it hurts us out of conference.

bluedogok
10/28/2012, 06:58 PM
The LSU game was ACC refs if I remember correctly.

MamaMia
10/28/2012, 08:16 PM
I thought our team played hard and the coaching was good, we just got beat by a stronger team.My only complaint was the backs dropping the passes. Williams and Clay both dropped passes between the numbers....
I thought you were going to say that your only complaint was that their team was stronger. :D

XingTheRubicon
10/28/2012, 08:23 PM
http://youtu.be/kowv6l2CBD0

Tear Down This Wall
10/28/2012, 09:48 PM
About the game of football, Switzer is rarely wrong.

Here's our problem: the bar is set at "we're dominant because we beat the snot out of Texas Tech and Texas."

Really? Well, who gives a sh*t?

The Big 12 sucks. I really provides no gauge at all for what a national championship-caliber school looks like. The champions of the Big 12 these days are like Anthony Michael Hall's character in Sixteen Candles - King of the Dipsh*ts.