PDA

View Full Version : How will Landry fare in the draft?

cleller
10/28/2012, 09:37 AM
On paper, he displays pretty well. On grass?

jk the sooner fan
10/28/2012, 09:49 AM
i've seen several mock drafts - none of which include him in the first round

i think the pro's really don't care much about the outcomes of college games so much as they do mechanics and smarts

Landry has an NFL arm.......what happens on Saturday, and the schemes OU plays - has very little to do with what he'll do on Sundays

i think he goes late first round, early 2d

FaninAma
10/28/2012, 09:53 AM
I think his lack of pocket presence, eratic accurracy and mediocre field vision drops him to the late 2nd round or early 3rd round.

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2012, 10:02 AM
I totally agree that how LJ does at the combine and NFL workouts will be the primary factors for his draft position. Seeing guys like Tannehill, Locker and Ponder getting high picks and even starting chances makes me believe LJ will do fine.

Curly Bill
10/28/2012, 11:50 AM
I think he'll get drafted higher than is warranted just because of the position he plays. Wherever he gets drafted I think he's a career backup at best.

SoonerorLater
10/28/2012, 11:59 AM
I think probably the third round, maybe the second given the position he plays. I see Landry going at the highest point that a GM can justify to keep his job. There will be some organization that has enough egos that will draft Landry convinced that they can coach the pocket anxiety out of him.

Curly Bill
10/28/2012, 12:08 PM
I think probably the third round, maybe the second given the position he plays. I see Landry going at the highest point that a GM can justify to keep his job. There will be some organization that has enough egos that will draft Landry convinced that they can coach the pocket anxiety out of him.

Is there some organization that thinks they can light a fire under his emotionless a**?

kevpks
10/28/2012, 12:45 PM
Late first/early second round. It's a QB driven league.

EatLeadCommie
10/28/2012, 12:59 PM
NFL arm and a 2 cent head. Somebody will waste a draft pick on him, though. You take a chance with talent like that, but you can't unteach dumb.

Seamus
10/28/2012, 01:06 PM
Musberger and Herbstreit kept referring to an Elton John lyric as it pertains to Landry:

"Cross the bridge of fade away."

They kept asking if Landry would cross the bridge, or would he fade away.

I lean toward a little heavier sound, and I couldn't help but think in slightly different terms. Black Sabbath terms.

I was asking, Landry, will you become "Ironman" or will be be more "Fairies Wear Boots"?

I have been loathe to come down on the young man, and I love him for all that he has done. But for what he has not done, it leaves a bit of an empty feeling. It's hard sometimes to avoid living a little too vicariously through the team.

StoopTroup
10/28/2012, 01:11 PM
Is there some organization that thinks they can light a fire under his emotionless a**?

I don't think it takes a fire Bill....

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/674/040/hi-res-6655350_display_image.jpg?1350258611

SoonerorLater
10/28/2012, 01:12 PM
Though it's hard to wrap my head around Landry may be a better Pro than a college QB. Landry's skill set ex- the pocket problems are more NFL-like. To me Landry would be much more effective running a play action offense. NFL scouts will love his arm, can make every throw that he needs to make. His mental errors will scare enough away that they predict him going as the 6th to 8th QB taken.

StoopTroup
10/28/2012, 01:32 PM
At this point I do think you have to consider that Landry will be looking to win every Game we play from here on out and the WR Corp looking to make their mark and prepare to be ready for a New QB throwing passes to them after LJ moves on to the NFL.

I see LJ really just looking at things from a business perspective rather than a Senior QB that is looking to win a MNC his last year in College and having memories of his Senior Year that a player who otherwise would relish a bit more if they knew this was going to be their last year of Football as an amateur. Those who would be graduating and moving on to find a job with the degree they had gotten from 5 years of playing Football and going to College might just see things differently than someone who obviously could have gone Pro a year ago.

I don't see LJ as an emotionless person but more of a guy that has a lot on his mind and is always looking ahead at what he needs to do to be successful. It might be a flaw but I have a feeling it's an attractive attribute to some folks in the NFL. I think he'll be drafted and it's possible he might surprise us all. Maybe he just ends up holding a clip board and assisting an emotional cheerleader QB like Tebow.

Guess we will see...

Okie35
10/28/2012, 01:54 PM
Late 1st early 2nd. He's not BAD but I agree w/ Bill he'll be a solid back up unless he goes to a team w/ a good line.

jk the sooner fan
10/28/2012, 02:24 PM
i dont think its fair to say that Jones lacks emotion or cares about winning/losing

just because he doenst wear his emotions on his sleeve or is overly demonstrative with facial expressions, doesnt mean he doesnt care

i think he cares a great deal - he's just not a "rah rah" type - but i dont remember Jason White or Sam Bradford being overly emotional either....but they didnt deal with the level of scrutiny that Jones does so the rules for him are different

he's a great young man - and many many schools would be happy to have him on their roster

ouleaf
10/28/2012, 02:33 PM
A lot of teams have drafted their "QB of the future" in the past few years, and the ones that haven't are because they already have their QB. I just don't know if there will be as great of a demand for QBs unless the guy is a can't miss.

I'm sure Landry will work out/test/measure just fine, but it's intangibles like leadership, poise, consistency, and playmaking ability that will would make me cautious if I were a GM. I wouldn't take him before the 4th round.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/28/2012, 02:44 PM
People that don't think he will fare well in the draft forget the kind of college quarterbacks, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Christian Ponder, even Ryan Tannehill were.

EatLeadCommie
10/28/2012, 02:55 PM
i dont think its fair to say that Jones lacks emotion or cares about winning/losing

just because he doenst wear his emotions on his sleeve or is overly demonstrative with facial expressions, doesnt mean he doesnt care

i think he cares a great deal - he's just not a "rah rah" type - but i dont remember Jason White or Sam Bradford being overly emotional either....but they didnt deal with the level of scrutiny that Jones does so the rules for him are different

he's a great young man - and many many schools would be happy to have him on their roster

He's a good kid and I won't jump on him about not getting emotional. As you pointed out, Sam and Jason and Josh too didn't get emotional. The larger problem isn't that he doesn't inspire emotion. I think the larger problem is he doesn't inspire confidence.

Curly Bill
10/28/2012, 03:01 PM
You don't have to be super emotional, but what about that blank stare and that "empty" look in his eyes? Would any of you want to follow him into battle? He's got tools, but being a leader ain't one of em.

jk the sooner fan
10/28/2012, 03:05 PM
You don't have to be super emotional, but what about that blank stare and that "empty" look in his eyes? Would any of you want to follow him into battle? He's got tools, but being a leader ain't one of em.

how often are you in that locker room? you're judging a look on his face based on a freeze from a tv camera

i think some of you are passing judgment on the kid without having all the facts

follow the QB into battle with his skill set? i bet more would say yes than you'd like to admit

Curly Bill
10/28/2012, 03:06 PM
how often are you in that locker room? you're judging a look on his face based on a freeze from a tv camera

i think some of you are passing judgment on the kid without having all the facts

follow the QB into battle with his skill set? i bet more would say yes than you'd like to admit

I've seen that empty look on athletes before. It's never good, unless the person is on the other team.

jk the sooner fan
10/28/2012, 03:10 PM
i'm a little shocked (actually not) that fans are bagging on LJ after that loss last night

even though he really had very little to do with the loss itself...

typical of our fan base tho

SoonerorLater
10/28/2012, 03:29 PM
i'm a little shocked (actually not) that fans are bagging on LJ after that loss last night

even though he really had very little to do with the loss itself...

typical of our fan base tho

To me it's very clear why Landry is blamed. First he is the QB and the QB will almost always take the heat for all the offense's woes. Second, he already has the reputation as a guy that wilts under pressure. Third ,OU runs a QB centric offense that requires the QB to put the offense on his shoulders. Under Bob Stoops tenure we have had three QB's who could do that. Two of them are Heisman Trophy Winners the third was runner-up with a National Championship.

Landry's greatest sin is that he isn't one of those guys that can do that. It may not be fair but that is the expectation we have. The bar has been set and it has to be met or bettered or people are going to complain.

EatLeadCommie
10/28/2012, 03:32 PM
To me it's very clear why Landry is blamed. First he is the QB and the QB will almost always take the heat for all the offense's woes. Second, he already has the reputation as a guy that wilts under pressure. Third ,OU runs a QB centric offense that requires the QB to put the offense on his shoulders. Under Bob Stoops tenure we have had three QB's who could do that. Two of them are Heisman Trophy Winners the third was runner-up with a National Championship.

Landry's greatest sin is that he isn't one of those guys that can do that. It may not be fair but that is the expectation we have. The bar has been set and it has to be met or bettered or people are going to complain.

Landry's greatest sin isn't that he didn't win a Heisman. It's that he's an egghead.

That having been said, he didn't play poorly last night. He wasn't sharp but didn't have any blunders.

jk the sooner fan
10/28/2012, 03:44 PM
the offense didnt give up 30 points last night - the defense did. I dont remember LJ being responsible for bad snaps, blocking defensive lineman so that a running game could be established

you cant pin this loss solely on Jones.............kstate is another story however

SoonerorLater
10/28/2012, 03:56 PM
Landry's greatest sin isn't that he didn't win a Heisman. It's that he's an egghead.

That having been said, he didn't play poorly last night. He wasn't sharp but didn't have any blunders.

I didn't say the reason was because he didn't win a Heisman. What I am saying is, that is the level of QB play you have to have to be successful in this system. That is the reason I would like to see our offensive scheme change. Like I said in another thread, too many moving parts with a potential systemically single point of failure.

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2012, 05:59 PM
People that don't think he will fare well in the draft forget the kind of college quarterbacks, Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Christian Ponder, even Ryan Tannehill were.

^This. Don't under estimate the egos of the NFL guys. They think they can filter for the right guys in their combine tests - both the physical and those wunderlich mental/emotional tests. If LJ scores high on those, someone will take him high. If he doesn't, they won't. Another factor is that LJ has had 1 position coach for the last 5 years. It could be a different coach could get more out of him.