PDA

View Full Version : "Phantom" Holding Call

Sooner70
10/28/2012, 07:21 AM
Can someone detail that one? --i.e. the Blake Bell TD that wasn't.

The TV announcers were in a state of not knowing what was going on, & I couldn't get it on radio, which is usually more informative/indepth.

Reading Stoops ranting lips I got "....be fair about your calls....."

Just seemed odd. Esp. on critical situations, you always see a flag & the camera gets focused on the official, who turns on his mike & gives the call & player #. None of that happened. Coulda been a manifestation of cameras out of position & hurry up offense, but just seemed very odd.

I know after the TV announcers sorta figured out what was going on, then they did a replay and began speculating who could've been guilty, but that seemed like a strange exercise that shouldn't have to be.

Did anyone ever see the flag & did the ref ever publicly make the call?

Odd

olevetonahill
10/28/2012, 07:51 AM
IMHO, That call was Legit, The Problem being was There is Holding on just about EVERY down.And the Long delay of calling it. It was Like they were looking for a reason to call it back and had to settle for the Hold

prrriiide
10/28/2012, 08:03 AM
Here's my problem with it...Vet's right, you could've called holding almost every play. But the domers only had ONE f'n penalty the whole game, yet OU gets flagged to take points off the board? I call BS. That was the biggest momentum shift of the game other than the long run and Teo's int. ND outplayed our lines all night, yet we were competitive and in a position to win that game on several occasions. It isn't up to the refs to decide who's going to win before the coin is tossed.

FaninAma
10/28/2012, 08:12 AM
Anybody that doesn't think officiating calls are crucial needs to consider the following:

If one of ND's 2 TDs were negated by penalty and they are forced to kick a FG OU is leading 17-16 in the 4th quarter and OU has tha ball with 5 minutes to play and ND only has 1 timeout left.

The timing of calls is as critical as the penalty themselves.....as are the non-calls.

cleller
10/28/2012, 08:21 AM
It actually seems possible that the officials had a belief that rushing TDs could not legally be made against ND, and made sure that is what happened.

sooneron
10/28/2012, 08:47 AM
Well, it was nice of them to give the other rush td to us, I guess. It was holding, but there was a more blatant hold in the open on ND's td run.... no call. We can't bitch that much- out coached and out played.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/28/2012, 08:56 AM
It's hard to hold if your fists are closed and on the shoulder pads. That was a bull**** call by the refs that wanted ND to win. Hey, it's good for the ratings. That's what's most important! Not honesty and integrity!

tulsaoilerfan
10/28/2012, 10:55 AM
They showed it to start the the second half, and the referee did not throw the flag until Bell was about 6 yards deep in the end zone; Herbie and Musberger said that his mic didn't work so that's how come it was not announced; believe what you want on that though

IronHorseSooner
10/28/2012, 11:56 AM
I'm sorry, the refs in that game had about as much integrity as a Roman tax collector! There were about 6 times in that game where the refs were anywhere from questionable to dead wrong! Every one of them went against us. All as a coach that you ask is that it is called down the middle. In this game, it was clearly not, and this is what happens!

Curly Bill
10/28/2012, 11:58 AM
It was a BS call!

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
10/28/2012, 12:11 PM
Visions of the Oregon debacle.

soonertodd
10/28/2012, 12:22 PM
i never saw the hold or where the flag was,i havent seen any replays though just saw it live. the refs def sucked the whole game i didnt know they were big east refs,i thought they were the ex NFL repacements

kevpks
10/28/2012, 12:32 PM
Screw Notre Dame. Let's go ruin their day next year.

EatLeadCommie
10/28/2012, 03:25 PM
I think Bob said it best when he blurted out on national television "That was a bullsh!7 call!"