PDA

View Full Version : This program doesn't have 'IT'

landrun
10/27/2012, 11:30 PM
I'm not sure what we're missing.

But the offense can't score when we need a TD and the D chokes like clock-work in the 4th qtr in big games.

Another long pass on play action. -- are you kidding me!!???? We just scored and had the mo. And we let that happen ... again!???

I haven't seen Sooner Magic in years.

Great teams have great O and D lines. They have good special teams and don't choke. We have none of these characteristics.

And I think it is only going to get worse because our recruiting class is weak at best. Especially in the areas where we need players - on the defense.

I'm so disappointed in this game. :blue:

picasso
10/27/2012, 11:32 PM
Under Stoops we've had great teams about every 4 years. Don't give up hope.

Boomer.....
10/27/2012, 11:35 PM
Haven't seen it in years? Before tonight everyone couldn't talk enough about how well we were playing the last 3 games. Did they all of the sudden change now that we play a very good football team?

landrun
10/27/2012, 11:56 PM
Haven't seen it in years? ....

I never thought Sooner Magic was beating a bad Texas Tech or Kansas team.

I've always thought it was a Torrence Marshall pick in a tough game at AtM to preserve an undefeated season - or to shut out the #1 ranked FSU offense in a national championship game. Maybe a Renaldo Works run in the last minutes of a game to come back and beat Bama or something like that.

I haven't seen that in a long time.

colleyvillesooner
10/27/2012, 11:57 PM
The defense does its job and that Bell pass on 4th an 2 was sooner magic. Is what it is.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/27/2012, 11:58 PM
3-9 now since 2008 in games that are 4pts or less at the half either way...I won't pretend to know the how or why, but something isn't working when we get in close ball games.

landrun
10/28/2012, 12:00 AM
3-9 now since 2008 in games that are 4pts or less at the half either way...I won't pretend to know the how or why, but something isn't working when we get in close ball games.

Very good observation. I have no confidence we will win when the game is close.

landrun
10/28/2012, 12:01 AM

VA Sooner
10/28/2012, 12:03 AM
The defense does its job and that Bell pass on 4th an 2 was sooner magic. Is what it is.

Defense played a good game but got gassed late. Offense started off well but made two big mistakes with hiking the ball back 20+ yards which killed momentum and that linebacker that somehow was everywhere... he'll do well on Sundays.

I'm impressed with the Bell to Millard pass in the red zone... that's Sooner magic. Just not enough of it to beat a very good team.

rainiersooner
10/28/2012, 12:06 AM

I've always thought it was a Torrence Marshall pick in a tough game at AtM to preserve an undefeated season - or to shut out the #1 ranked FSU offense in a national championship game. Maybe a Renaldo Works run in the last minutes of a game to come back and beat Bama or something like that.

That was a pretty poor Alabama team we beat oth those years - this was a good notre dame team

Therealsouthsider
10/28/2012, 12:37 AM
I was unimpressed with the offensive game plan, if there was one...it was so schizophrenic, it was hard to tell what OU wanted to do

ELP Sooner
10/28/2012, 12:45 AM
Agreed. I am not phased at all by the loss. I have come to expect it. In fact I am puzzled by all the shock and surprise about this loss. This is who we are as a program at the moment. Just seeing CU..NU...MU...and aTm in the other leagues sort of shows how bad the Big 12 has been. We are always overrated and continue to give programs "signature" wins over a helmet school that is clearly on the downside. Maybe Bob has a Switzer mid 80s run left in him...but I dont see it. This feels a lot like OU 1981 to 1983.

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2012, 12:48 AM
You mean "Information Technology" is all we need to win these games? Upgrade all the servers!!

Funky G
10/28/2012, 12:53 AM
Dead on. We haven't beaten a truly good team, i.e. Top 5 in I don't even remember how long. We make our "bones" on the highly ranked mid-level teams, and lose to the big boys. We are the Buffalo Bills of college football.

MyT Oklahoma
10/28/2012, 12:54 AM
Agreed. I am not phased at all by the loss. I have come to expect it. In fact I am puzzled by all the shock and surprise about this loss. This is who we are as a program at the moment. Just seeing CU..NU...MU...and aTm in the other leagues sort of shows how bad the Big 12 has been. We are always overrated and continue to give programs "signature" wins over a helmet school that is clearly on the downside. Maybe Bob has a Switzer mid 80s run left in him...but I dont see it. This feels a lot like OU 1981 to 1983.

Yep. Sure does.

Except we played USC closer in LA in '81 then we did Notre Dame tonight at home. That is what really sucks!

GrapevineSooner
10/28/2012, 07:13 AM
You mean "Information Technology" is all we need to win these games? Upgrade all the servers!!

Yeah, when you literally watch game film on reels of film, that's a pretty good indicator you need to upgrade your IT. :D

Jason White's Third Knee
10/28/2012, 08:32 AM
No pressure from our D. The line was neutralized. Do we even have linebackers?

No running game. Everyone expects LJ to do it all.

cleller
10/28/2012, 08:55 AM

Think back to 2000. Every time the huddle (how quaint) broke, and Heupel walked slowly up to the line, cool as a cucumber, I knew he could make it work. Heupel was a winner. He didn't just go thru his checks as fast as he could and get rid of it. Our receivers knew that Josh was counting on every one of them every play, the ball might go anywhere. Our O-line was a bunch of tired guys the Fat Man forced into greatness.
Those guys had something to prove, and did it. Mostly, I think it was Heupel. On third down, the only option for him was either another set of downs, a TD, or "you gotta catch me first".

Dang, I'd like to experience that again. Sam had it. I think Bell does, too.

OU_Sooners75
10/28/2012, 08:57 AM
None of it can possibly be the quality of the opponent, can it?

Lets give ND some credit. The better team won last night.

No shame in admitting the better team won.

TUSooner
10/28/2012, 09:28 AM
My impression is simply that we lack the overall discipline and competence to play a focused, error-free game when we are facing a competent opponent. (By "error free" I mean a game like ND played -- maybe not perfect, but no wayward snaps, blown assignments, etc.) If we can beat you with our "B" game, we will clobber you. But if we really NEED the "A" game, we can't come up with one.

PLUS - your D-line has to get a pass rush once in awhile and you have to be able to play smash mouth when the Rube Goldberg offense has a glitch.

And yes, 75, the better team won, no doubt. That's why I am especially not gutted by this loss, like I thought I might be. They deserved the win, even though the final score was a bit flattering to them.

bluedogok
10/28/2012, 09:30 AM
IT seems to be more defined in everything coming together, players, lack of injuries, the right play at the right time and calls and turnovers going your way, it seems like that happens when everything aligns in a proper way. It requires a lot of luck to go along with a real good team to be that successful. If Calmus gets called for the obvious block in the back on Marshall's interception return against A&M we don't end up playing Florida State in the Orange Bowl. If Heupel's elbow gives out earlier in the season we don't even get to the Big 12 CCG. Because of all involved in being able to get there my expectations are never a "championship or bust" mentality or even an undefeated season. I go into every season expecting a loss or two because there seems to be something magical that has to happen to go undefeated and win the championship. The fact that the SEC dominates the BCS-CG seems come down to the fact that they play by their own set of rules but even with that they haven't had the same team string together a bunch of championships.

I agree something doesn't seem to be "right" with the program but I am not sure what that is. A lot of other programs seem to be in the same boat.

cleller
10/28/2012, 09:31 AM
None of it can possibly be the quality of the opponent, can it?

Lets give ND some credit. The better team won last night.

No shame in admitting the better team won.

The fact that they are the better team is what bothers me. After all their Charlie Weis, etc failure, Kelly comes in, then comes right down here and whups us on our own field.

TUSooner
10/28/2012, 09:33 AM
Think back to 2000. Every time the huddle (how quaint) broke, and Heupel walked slowly up to the line, cool as a cucumber, I knew he could make it work. Heupel was a winner. He didn't just go thru his checks as fast as he could and get rid of it. Our receivers knew that Josh was counting on every one of them every play, the ball might go anywhere. Our O-line was a bunch of tired guys the Fat Man forced into greatness.
Those guys had something to prove, and did it. Mostly, I think it was Heupel. On third down, the only option for him was either another set of downs, a TD, or "you gotta catch me first".

Dang, I'd like to experience that again. Sam had it. I think Bell does, too.

And this. Our offense relies too much on one man's arm, which -- let's face it --- is the only thing LJ really has going for him as QB.

TUSooner
10/28/2012, 09:37 AM
IT seems to be more defined in everything coming together, players, lack of injuries, the right play at the right time and calls and turnovers going your way, it seems like that happens when everything aligns in a proper way. It requires a lot of luck to go along with a real good team to be that successful. If Calmus gets called for the obvious block in the back on Marshall's interception return against A&M we don't end up playing Florida State in the Orange Bowl. If Heupel's elbow gives out earlier in the season we don't even get to the Big 12 CCG. Because of all involved in being able to get there my expectations are never a "championship or bust" mentality or even an undefeated season. I go into every season expecting a loss or two because there seems to be something magical that has to happen to go undefeated and win the championship. The fact that the SEC dominates the BCS-CG seems come down to the fact that they play by their own set of rules but even with that they haven't had the same team string together a bunch of championships.

Another good point. Its just hard to run the table (and if you're in the Sacred SEC, you don't really need to). It does help if you don't rely on a gimmicky offense and can play old-school ball like Bama.

PLaw
10/28/2012, 10:41 AM
Under Stoops we've had great teams about every 4 years. Don't give up hope.

One, yes "1", TOP 5 finish since 2004 pretty much says it all. Big pre-season expectations followed by disappointing losses driven by either lack of focus, lack of talent, or being out-coached.

Paying a coach a Top 3 salary . . . .

PLaw
10/28/2012, 10:44 AM
And this. Our offense relies too much on one man's arm, which -- let's face it --- is the only thing LJ really has going for him as QB.

In the words of the KING: Three things can happen when you throw the ball and two of those are bad.

You absolutely must have a lethal passing game with playmakers, but you also need to be able to pound the rock. Those mid-80 Miami offenses were down right scary.

PLaw
10/28/2012, 10:59 AM

13-8 versus ranked opponents since 2009.

0-4 versus top 5 since 2009.

I thought Big Game Bob was back, but sadly, he still lies in a tomb somewhere near South Beach.

Boom

SoonerorLater
10/28/2012, 11:08 AM
In our offense QB has to carry the team. It just seems like a bad idea. It's just not likely you can run the table any given year with this kind of offense because every QB is going to have bad days. Essentially what we have is an offense with lots of moving parts that has a single point of failure. This would be considered a design flaw in most disciplines. An effective ground game IMO is critical. Takes some of the pressure off the QB and keeps the chains moving. It's just another form of load sharing.

picasso
10/28/2012, 10:46 PM
One, yes "1", TOP 5 finish since 2004 pretty much says it all. Big pre-season expectations followed by disappointing losses driven by either lack of focus, lack of talent, or being out-coached.

Paying a coach a Top 3 salary . . . .
We've been in the title game 4 times in the last decade. That's pretty frickin' impressive regardless of how bad we fared in the outcome. Sure, I'd love to have more but be careful of what you wish for.

goingoneight
10/29/2012, 12:20 AM
The fact that they are the better team is what bothers me. After all their Charlie Weis, etc failure, Kelly comes in, then comes right down here and whups us on our own field.

I don't see why this is even relevant. All I've heard is this nonsense today. Do you know how long Alabama went without being truly great before Saban won it all in 2009? Nobody in the SEC brought up Shula or Franchione. Bama got themselves a coach and got the job done. LSU didn't go firing Les Miles or anything like that. Bob Stoops resurged the Oklahoma program faster than Saban did either LSU or Alabama... nobody up in Nebraska or down in Texas was crying about how OU should've lost eight games in 2000. Kelly's doing a great job there and his team this year is nasty good in the areas it takes one's team to win a championship. It's not like he inherited Charlie Weiss's 2-10 2007 team a year ago and brought a 3-3 team into Norman. I'm disappointed in the loss and bitter... but not to the point that I don't understand how it works out. Give a guy two or three years somewhere and he can win it all with the right pieces in place and the right formula. No way in hell I would've given OU a chance at beating Texas, KSU, Nebraska, A&M and FSU going into 2000 had you asked me in 1998. OU's program might be losing an edge here or there... but they didn't just completely tank for the forseeable future just because a great team came in and beat them. They played a great game against a legit National Championship contender up until the long bomb pass in the 4th quarter. They collectively collapsed after that. Sort of like FSU collapsed after the Quentin Griffin TD run in the Orange Bowl. This wasn't OSU 2001 nor Tech 2011. It feels like it because Tech was exactly a year ago and the KSU loss was just a few weeks ago... but the two losses this year aren't inexplicable losses as of right now. If Alabama slips up ala OU 2003/USC 2007/KSU 1998... the two teams OU lost two will play for the National Championship. If we were in 2014 already... they'd already be a shoe-in for the 4-team playoff. It stings... but we might've drawn the two best teams in the country into Norman this year unknowingly like Arkansas did a year ago.

Peeb
10/29/2012, 08:23 AM
In our offense QB has to carry the team. It just seems like a bad idea. It's just not likely you can run the table any given year with this kind of offense because every QB is going to have bad days. Essentially what we have is an offense with lots of moving parts that has a single point of failure. This would be considered a design flaw in most disciplines. An effective ground game IMO is critical. Takes some of the pressure off the QB and keeps the chains moving. It's just another form of load sharing.
Some Yards-After-Catch would help a lot. Every time a defender from ND touched those guys, the play was over. Haven't seen tackling that good in the modern era.

EDIT: Honestly don't expect you to have such problems when my pokes come to town! :D:grey:

JiminyChristmas
10/29/2012, 08:33 AM
Nope, but Cousin It is way too old for college.

cleller
10/29/2012, 08:34 AM
I don't see why this is even relevant. All I've heard is this nonsense today. Do you know how long Alabama went without being truly great before Saban won it all in 2009? Nobody in the SEC brought up Shula or Franchione. Bama got themselves a coach and got the job done. LSU didn't go firing Les Miles or anything like that. Bob Stoops resurged the Oklahoma program faster than Saban did either LSU or Alabama... nobody up in Nebraska or down in Texas was crying about how OU should've lost eight games in 2000. Kelly's doing a great job there and his team this year is nasty good in the areas it takes one's team to win a championship. It's not like he inherited Charlie Weiss's 2-10 2007 team a year ago and brought a 3-3 team into Norman. I'm disappointed in the loss and bitter... but not to the point that I don't understand how it works out. Give a guy two or three years somewhere and he can win it all with the right pieces in place and the right formula. No way in hell I would've given OU a chance at beating Texas, KSU, Nebraska, A&M and FSU going into 2000 had you asked me in 1998. OU's program might be losing an edge here or there... but they didn't just completely tank for the forseeable future just because a great team came in and beat them. They played a great game against a legit National Championship contender up until the long bomb pass in the 4th quarter. They collectively collapsed after that. Sort of like FSU collapsed after the Quentin Griffin TD run in the Orange Bowl. This wasn't OSU 2001 nor Tech 2011. It feels like it because Tech was exactly a year ago and the KSU loss was just a few weeks ago... but the two losses this year aren't inexplicable losses as of right now. If Alabama slips up ala OU 2003/USC 2007/KSU 1998... the two teams OU lost two will play for the National Championship. If we were in 2014 already... they'd already be a shoe-in for the 4-team playoff. It stings... but we might've drawn the two best teams in the country into Norman this year unknowingly like Arkansas did a year ago.

Well, this is really no comfort to me either. The only conclusion I can draw from this is the Kelly is a better coach than Stoops. Yes, they've got the better team. In a short time Kelly and ND have eclipsed our program. Doesn't feel good. No one wants to admit you cannot compete with the best teams in the country.

Maybe next year.

OkieThunderLion
10/29/2012, 10:37 AM
If Calmus gets called for the obvious block in the back on Marshall's interception return

Definitetly close. But not an obvious call. The pursuer can't turn his bad and create a block in the back, which Farris does. Calmus initiated the hit from the side/shoulder. Swallow the whistle on that one.

TUSooner
10/29/2012, 10:38 AM
...It's just not likely you can run the table any given year with this kind of offense because every QB is going to have bad days. Essentially what we have is an offense with lots of moving parts that has a single point of failure. This would be considered a design flaw in most disciplines. An effective ground game IMO is critical....

I have been singing that song for years! YES!

Curly Bill
10/29/2012, 10:46 AM
When your offense is so QB-driven as ours is, and when that QB is Sam Bradford you have a shot to win the whole thing. When that QB is Landry "empty eyes" Jones, you don't have a shot.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/29/2012, 10:56 AM
We're soft. That's all there is to it.

When the 4th quarter started, I turned to my buddy and said when is the last time we won a game when we were behind in the 4th quarter? Anyone? Anyone?

We can't run the ball because we don't make a commitment to run the ball. It's a philosophy that I don't understand. I mean we don't have to be a grind it out sec team, but we need to make a commitment to run the ball, if nothing else, to take pressure off the qb. This loss is not Landry's fault. He was not put in a position to win.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/29/2012, 10:58 AM
If Calmus gets called for the obvious block in the back on Marshall's interception return against A&M we don't end up playing Florida State in the Orange Bowl.

Wasn't there 8 minutes left in that game still?

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2012, 11:07 AM
When your offense is so QB-driven as ours is, and when that QB is Sam Bradford you have a shot to win the whole thing. When that QB is Landry "empty eyes" Jones, you don't have a shot.

I have to agree. That INT LJ threw against KSU was a game changing opportunity. He escaped pressure and bought time and spotted a wide open Stills for what should have been a big gain. He made the right decision and all he had to do was make the throw. After the holding call that called back the Bell TD on Saturday, he got chased from the pocket again and Shepard was open in the endzone running the same side as LJ. He either didn't see him or was afraid to make the attempt and threw the ball away. He saved the FG, but missed another big play opportunity. I have no doubt Sam makes both those throws.

Maybe we are too QB dependent, but I don't think a team will win it all with just a QB manager. Bama lost to UF when they had a manager and the gators had Tebow. They beat them the next year when McElroy outplayed Tebow in the CCG. McCarron made multiple big plays in the BCS title game last year while Jefferson folded for LSU. We could be more balanced but we still need a play making QB to get to very top.

tator
10/29/2012, 11:19 AM

Barring the 2008 MNC, there has been the common thread of one player at a very important skill position.

I'll give you 3 guesses as to who it is.

Mjcpr
10/29/2012, 11:23 AM
Barring the 2008 MNC, there has been the common thread of one player at a very important skill position.

Is it Gabe Ikard?

PrideMom
10/29/2012, 11:26 AM
OU can still win the BIg XII, but Kansas State has to lose to someone, and that doesn't look very good, unless OSU can beat them. Going to and winning the National Championship game relies on too many lucky events, like having other great teams lose at the right time. Ask what Florida thinks at losing to Georgia this past week-end......

tator
10/29/2012, 11:29 AM
Is it Gabe Ikard?

Very close in proximity. 2 more guesses

TUSooner
10/29/2012, 11:31 AM

I don't see anyone saying we don't need no stinkin quarterback. And I've never complained about a touchdown pass. I just think most of us are saying that if you rely on a pass-happy offense you will not beat more balanced teams that "gird their loins" and run and play defense and smack you in the gob for 4 quarters (especially when those teams are more disciplined). Sometimes watching our meerkat offense over the years has made me think we should have joined CUSA or some dinko conference where the scores are 56-49 every week. I'd give you 5 Stillses for 1 Suh or a dominating OT.

tator
10/29/2012, 11:36 AM
That's awesome, but I was replying to STEP regarding the issue of loosing close games.

champions77
10/29/2012, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure what we're missing.

But the offense can't score when we need a TD and the D chokes like clock-work in the 4th qtr in big games.

Another long pass on play action. -- are you kidding me!!???? We just scored and had the mo. And we let that happen ... again!???

I haven't seen Sooner Magic in years.

Great teams have great O and D lines. They have good special teams and don't choke. We have none of these characteristics.

And I think it is only going to get worse because our recruiting class is weak at best. Especially in the areas where we need players - on the defense.

I'm so disappointed in this game. :blue:

+1 We have TWO O-Line coaches, and still can't get out guys to run block against good defensive fronts. Does Bob need to find another college buddy and hire him as our third O-line coach?
If you think things are bad now, wait until next year. We lose a bunch of experienced defensive tackles and ends. And from what I can tell, we do not have any great players coming up through the ranks, or even have any committed. Between the average recruiting classes and the attrition, future does not look real promising. Currently ranked 33rd in the country in recruiting by Rivals.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/29/2012, 11:57 AM

If your QB can't engineer a score after an opposing score you are going to lose a lot of close games.

OkieThunderLion
10/29/2012, 12:00 PM
Does Bob need to find another college buddy and hire him as our third O-line coach?

Heard from a good friend that Kittle may be the best thing this staff has going for them right now.

picasso
10/29/2012, 01:17 PM
Definitetly close. But not an obvious call. The pursuer can't turn his bad and create a block in the back, which Farris does. Calmus initiated the hit from the side/shoulder. Swallow the whistle on that one.
That was not an obvious call and we would have scored even if T Marsh didn't.

OU_Sooners75
10/29/2012, 02:27 PM

And Bob Stoops probably doesn't wina national championship hus second year without a lot of players he didn't recruit.

Just goes to show ND has some very good players, just didn't have the coaching.

Brian Kelly is a very good coach. Look at what he was able to do at Cinc with less talent.

OU_Sooners75
10/29/2012, 02:31 PM

Curly, is there anything you like about the OU program?

Or are you just a full on doom and glooner?

Bourbon St Sooner
10/29/2012, 04:08 PM
If your QB can't engineer a score after an opposing score you are going to lose a lot of close games.

Or if your defense can't nut up and get a stop after the offense just tied the game in the 4th Q (see Baylor 2011; ND 2012).

landrun
10/29/2012, 05:44 PM
Or if your defense can't nut up and get a stop after the offense just tied the game in the 4th Q (see Baylor 2011; ND 2012).

^^^ This!!

Our defense folds in the 4th qtr like clock work. A long play action pass deep into our end of the field .... again .... right after we scored and took back the mo.
Who was shocked by that??:disgust:

Peeb
10/29/2012, 08:15 PM
OU can still win the BIg XII, but Kansas State has to lose to someone, and that doesn't look very good, unless OSU can beat them. ......
Uh-oh. True frosh QB playing at night on the road against a top-3 team with an injury depleted receiver corp; on-again/off-again defensive unit.

We're not conceding the K-State game, but it's a tall order.

IF the cowboy D puts together 4 quarters; and
IF Lunt can keep his cool and stay in one piece; and
IF we can field some receivers who can deliver; and
IF we don't implode with mistakes,

we might keep it close. ;)

thecrimsoncrusader
10/30/2012, 08:43 AM
^^^ This!!

Our defense folds in the 4th qtr like clock work. A long play action pass deep into our end of the field .... again .... right after we scored and took back the mo.
Who was shocked by that??:disgust:

Not this. The Sooner offense needs to actually do something in the prior 3 quarters. Something they absolutely failed to do in the Kansas St. and Notre Dame games. The defense needs to get a stop? How about the offense needs to get a score?

Tear Down This Wall
10/30/2012, 08:59 AM

Dude, spot on! I was thinking about Renaldo Works' run last night! With the game on the line, Renaldo taking a dinky shovel pass and running like hellbent jackrabbit inside the 10. Then, Kejuan Jones finishing it off on the next play.

Those guys didn't want to lose. They made plays. Then, Bassey returning the fumble on Bama's ensuing drive...Eric Bassey!

Guys who weren't superstars making plays in big games when they needed to be made. A team led by Nate Hybl in the Rose Bowl.