PDA

View Full Version : Too one dimensional...never works, 15 rushing yards !!

basel90
10/27/2012, 11:27 PM
When is stoops and heupel going to mix things up on offense? 15 rushing yards? When did any team win at top level football with this type of offense? People have figured stoop's & heupel's offense for a while now. Looked like the k state game tonight. OU had 70 rushing yards only at the k state game.
I don't blame heupel really as he inherited this offensive philosophy and is too young to make wholesale changes which showcases landry's abilities only.
But for sure stoops and heupel's scheme has been figured out and they are also getting out coached, again.
An overhaul of our offensive philosophy is needed and stoops will probably not do it until next year with BELL coming in.

soonercastor
10/27/2012, 11:28 PM
Actually I think trying to run the ball too much is what killed us tonight on offense.

hvhurricane
10/27/2012, 11:33 PM
Heupel was awful tonight. We tried to run the ball way too much. They couldn't cover our receivers. When we slowed the tempo we played right into their hands.

landrun
10/27/2012, 11:35 PM
And yet some how people are blaming this on Landry.

Boomer.....
10/27/2012, 11:38 PM
You guys realize how good of defense Notre Dame has, right? Especially against the run. You have to play what they give you.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/27/2012, 11:41 PM
It worked fine in 2000. What Oklahoma wisely did at the time was set up the run with the predominant passing attack. Oklahoma had an offensive identity. Now Oklahoma is just all over the place with slow tempo, fast tempo, but always no huddle. Oklahoma needs to pick a pace and stick with it and they need to decide if they want a predominant passing attack, a predominant rushing attack or a balanced attack and then recruit the right personnel for it. Right now, Oklahoma is shooting for a balanced attack where they don't have the right players to do it. Right now and based on personnel, Oklahoma should very much running an all out spread attack ala what they used to do/Texas Tech, etc.

SOONER44EVER
10/27/2012, 11:42 PM
Actually I think trying to run the ball too much is what killed us tonight on offense.
Exactly. I think we might have won if we never ran the ball at all.

SOONER44EVER
10/27/2012, 11:43 PM
The announcers kept saying we had to establish the run. I kept saying why?

Curly Bill
10/27/2012, 11:45 PM

Because we hear that shiznit from the time we begin watching football. The announcers say it because they think they're supposed to. All running the ball did for us tonight was put us in long yardage situations.

basel90
10/27/2012, 11:48 PM

Ran too much but the result is 15 yards coz we are not good at running.

JiminyChristmas
10/27/2012, 11:51 PM
Being balanced means being able to do whatever the defense is giving you. Versus Texas we ran. Versus ND we passed. There was no need to keep beating our heads against the wall tonight trying to run it. The run for minus 2 yards on 2nd and 10 at the ND 35 yd line killed a good scoring opportunity. It was just some weird calls at weird times that we couldn't overcome. This game was definitely not Landry's fault.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/28/2012, 12:15 AM
The weirdest part about it was that our most effective runs were the play action pass. The run is supposed to be about keeping the D honest when you want to throw (or vicey versy) but if they are committing incredibly heavy to the run even when you play action, jeez just ride that train.

Sabanball
10/28/2012, 12:26 AM
I love Bob, still think he's the second best coach in college football at this moment, but I agree, he's lost his way. And what's ironic is he's a D-minded coach that came up through the coaching ranks coaching defense and is a disciple of Bill Snyder. Why he won't go to a more balanced O and run a more pro-style attack, I've never understood.

SOONER44EVER
10/28/2012, 12:32 AM
Because we hear that shiznit from the time we begin watching football. The announcers say it because they think they're supposed to. All running the ball did for us tonight was put us in long yardage situations.

Precisely.

SOONER44EVER
10/28/2012, 12:33 AM
I love Bob, still think he's the second best coach in college football at this moment, but I agree, he's lost his way. And what's ironic is he's a D-minded coach that came up through the coaching ranks coaching defense and is a disciple of Bill Snyder. Why he won't go to a more balanced O and run a more pro-style attack, I've never understood.
You think only Saban is better?

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2012, 12:53 AM

I suspect he will, but it wasn't going to happen this season with LJ returning.

FaninAma
10/28/2012, 12:55 AM

Second that motion.

FaninAma
10/28/2012, 12:59 AM

The Giants were the worst rushing team in the NFL last year. OU wasn't exactly a power rushing team in 2000, either.

I just wonder if it is Bob,Huepel or Norvell that insists on trying to establish the run.

oudivesherpa
10/28/2012, 09:32 AM
If you can't or won't run, no one will take the play action seriously. We just got beat by a superior defense.

Soonerjeepman
10/28/2012, 03:45 PM

yup same here...we got NO WHERE with the run...hell throw every time SHORT until they start dropping their LB then run...

kenth68
10/28/2012, 03:59 PM

so ND could win, as far as I could figure

kenth68
10/28/2012, 04:01 PM
One other thing, we DO need to establish our running game. But last night wasn't the time to start practicing it. Good grief!

MichiganSooner
10/28/2012, 04:26 PM
This thread is silly. Most responders have recognized that OU did attempt to run the ball several times but got nowhere against their defense. Their defense against the run is outstanding. I believe the only chance we had to run the ball successfully would be to have Millard or even Bell in at fullback on every play with Landry under center; then add a tailback. That would have meant fewer receivers; With Landry under center instead of in the shotgun, the passing game would not have been successful. I think it helps Landry to be deep to start with and face downfield as the receivers run their routes.

EatLeadCommie
10/28/2012, 04:29 PM
When is stoops and heupel going to mix things up on offense? 15 rushing yards? When did any team win at top level football with this type of offense? People have figured stoop's & heupel's offense for a while now. Looked like the k state game tonight. OU had 70 rushing yards only at the k state game.
I don't blame heupel really as he inherited this offensive philosophy and is too young to make wholesale changes which showcases landry's abilities only.
But for sure stoops and heupel's scheme has been figured out and they are also getting out coached, again.
An overhaul of our offensive philosophy is needed and stoops will probably not do it until next year with BELL coming in.

That we can't run block falls squarely on the shoulders of Patton. We haven't been able to run block since he got here. Heupel has tried more to incorporate a running game into the offense and with mixed results. I don't blame him for that. It needed to be done. However, Patton needs to be fired.

That having been said, Heupel's play calling was not sharp against ND. We couldn't run and it was obvious from the outset, yet we still tried to run the ball for 3 quarters. We could've thrown for 400-500 yards against their defense even with Landry not being particularly sharp.

BajaOklahoma
10/28/2012, 05:23 PM
You guys realize how good of defense Notre Dame has, right? Especially against the run. You have to play what they give you.

They were giving us the pass, not the run. Up-tempo was working. Running on 1st and 2nd downs was not working. But we kept trying.

mdklatt
10/28/2012, 06:21 PM
Yeah, but we had over 200 yards if you take away the negative yards from all the botched snaps....

OkieThunderLion
10/29/2012, 10:55 AM

agree