PDA

View Full Version : First Drive Snap to No One

stoops the eternal pimp
10/27/2012, 11:19 PM
I know we had a lot of opportunities after the first drive to make plays, but we were moving the ball so well and then that DA play of snapping to no one after moving the ball...Another WTF just happened play.

Curly Bill
10/27/2012, 11:20 PM
That play just gave me a really bad feeling!!

tulsaoilerfan
10/27/2012, 11:21 PM
I know we had a lot of opportunities after the first drive to make plays, but we were moving the ball so well and then that DA play of snapping to no one after moving the ball...Another WTF just happened play.

we were gashing them with the quick snaps, then all of a sudden we go meerkat and screw up; watch that play again and Landry was trying to make the call with about 4 seconds on the play clock i believe

BoulderSooner79
10/27/2012, 11:24 PM
I've speculating that was on LJ more than the center. The clock was inside 5 and LJ went down the line one more time to bark signals and it must have sounded like the call for the ball to Ikard. There wasn't enough time for LJ to leave like that and he should have either stuck with the play or called TO. Given the how the rest of the drives played out, I'm guessing that one would have petered out too. :(

soonercastor
10/27/2012, 11:26 PM
Just too much gymnastics back there sometimes before the play

5noubus
10/28/2012, 09:16 AM
I blame the whole loss on this play. Nothing was the same after. Momentum,crowd it was deflated.
It's like we loss confidence on that one play. (and 20 yards )

rock on sooner
10/28/2012, 09:19 AM

Step, early in the game but it changed everything...momentum, confidence,
timing...the ball of wax, you could SEE it in the body language of the players,
not just Landry, never recovered for the whole game. Having said that, the
Irish D is the real deal...at least the front seven.

SoonerorLater
10/28/2012, 09:25 AM
That play was one of those "here we go again" moments for me. Judging by the sound of the crowd I think a lot of them thought the same thing.

cleller
10/28/2012, 09:34 AM
That play was one of those "here we go again" moments for me. Judging by the sound of the crowd I think a lot of them thought the same thing.

That is exactly the way it was for me, and probably 40,000 others in the stadium. A body blow.

FaninAma
10/28/2012, 09:38 AM
Somebody should have called a timeout.

OUTrumpet
10/28/2012, 09:41 AM
I've speculating that was on LJ more than the center. The clock was inside 5 and LJ went down the line one more time to bark signals and it must have sounded like the call for the ball to Ikard. There wasn't enough time for LJ to leave like that and he should have either stuck with the play or called TO. Given the how the rest of the drives played out, I'm guessing that one would have petered out too. :(

Our offense has used a hand signal for the snap since Jason White was qb. The downward gesture. Can still do it one, two or three times, and always do it before a meerkat. They try to see where the blitz is coming from and then it takes the coaching staff forever to audible the play or point at Landry (basically run the play, he never audibles after the coaches point at him).

BlownGP
10/28/2012, 09:59 AM

Me too. Usually when we do stuff like that, Its going to be a long game and it was.

cleller
10/28/2012, 10:02 AM
I'd like to know exactly what happened? What was heard to make him snap, never saw Landry come up to change the play, etc?

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2012, 10:08 AM
I blame the whole loss on this play. Nothing was the same after. Momentum,crowd it was deflated.

And if 1 play on the first possession of the game determines a losing outcome, then the team deserves to lose. Things happen and winning team is resilient.

5noubus
10/28/2012, 11:51 AM

And if 1 play on the first possession of the game determines a losing outcome, then the team deserves to lose. Things happen and winning team is resilient.

I agree completely . That's the problem . Their confidence is fragile. I think LJ gets shook up and it trickles down to them all. If your leader is nervous the whole team feels it.
And maybe that's just what happens when you play a team better than you.

Breadburner
10/28/2012, 12:06 PM
That was a major face palm for sure.....So was the one through the wickets later in the game.....

landrun
10/28/2012, 12:23 PM
This play was a non factor. We punted to them. They went 3 and out and punted it right back.

Curly Bill
10/28/2012, 12:39 PM
This play was a non factor. We punted to them. They went 3 and out and punted it right back.

Non factor? It very much looked like we had crazy momentum, and were marching for a score. It's very possible we would have marched down and had the offense stall close to the red zone like it did most of the night, but it was a huge play at the time. If nothing else it was one of those: here we go again moments.

olevetonahill
10/28/2012, 12:40 PM

Yup.

StoopTroup
10/28/2012, 02:23 PM
It did kill our obvious plan to come out...march down the field and put 7 points on the board on a Team that hasn't had a lot of folks score on them this year. Purdue's 17 points is the most anyone scored on ND this year in one game. Yesterday our offense got 13 on them. Not what Bob and the Coaching staff had planned I'm sure.

You can paint it as the moment we gave up and the game was over if you want....but I don't think the Record Crowd to see a game in Oklahoma felt that way. The place was packed until the end of the 4th quarter. A large percentage of fans were there to the bitter end.

If you got a bad feeling...it was because you've probably had a bad feeling since we lost to KSU nearly the same way.

We played a darn good team. It's the 2nd time we have played a darn good Team at Home this year. Both were because their Team played better on both occasions. For some the glass is half empty and others half full. For me....I continued to cheer on our Team and believe we were still in it until we were down two scores and needing to score a TD, get an onsides kick and put up a FG to tie (ND-23 OU-13). Once we were down with two scores and little time....the last ND score to make it 30-13 was just a death blow.

As a Sooner, whether Landry Jones, Bradford, White, Hybl, Thompson, Heupel or even Blake Bell is in...I want to believe we have a shot at at least seeing the Sooner Magic show up that has many times made games so memorable and lately....eluded us.

I try to avoid any such beliefs that one play in the first quarter killed our Team's Spirit and instead stay positive that our Coaches have prepared our Players (All of our players) to pull off a win no matter the situation. It doesn't always happen but even after losing to K-State earlier in the year....even some of the folks on GameDay yesterday were picking us to show up and give ND the whipping they surely should have gotten from us.

They held us off. It's not the end of the World or the end of Sooner Football. It was a very tough loss from a Team we all wanted to beat very badly.

When the going gets tough...the tough get going.

Sometimes others fire everybody and some inspire. I surely would like to see our Team winout from here....however.....maybe that bad snap on the first drive last night was the Death of Sooner Football and the point where all Sooner Fans should begin to look for a new Head Coach. I hear Mack Brown might be available.

I choose to be a Sooner who is waiting for the tOUgh to get going again instead of look at one play to get me to chop up my tickets....scream FIRE BOB STOOPS! and p*ss myself because our center hiked a ball when the QB didn't tell him to do it.

As STEP said in his 1st post....it was a WTF moment....but not a game ender.

I hate seeing us lose and even if we played that game again today and I knew the outcome was the same....I'd still be in the stands cheering our guys hoping for a different outcome. We have a really great bunch of guys that can put it all together one week and just miss the mark the next. It is heart breaking but if we won them all....every time....people wouldn't want to stay in this Conference. They would take their football and go elsewhere. (Missouri, Colorado, Nebraska.....TAMU...)

Don't lose faith.

GO SOONERS !

Beat ISU !

BOOMER SOONER !

TrophyCollector
10/28/2012, 02:38 PM
Ironic that in the K-State game we use up all of our timeouts because we can't get a play call in time. ND we don't take the timeout and are trying to make a change with 4 seconds leading to a fumble. When is the last time out offensive play calls from the sideline did not look like an unholy fire drill? Maybe the offense needs to go on the simplification plan as well.

VA Sooner
10/28/2012, 03:38 PM
No doubt in my mind that it killed our momentum... left our team a little frazzled until they got the ball back... they seemed to have the jitters on a few of those plays.

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2012, 06:47 PM
No doubt in my mind that it killed our momentum... left our team a little frazzled until they got the ball back... they seemed to have the jitters on a few of those plays.

I don't know about frazzled, but the team knows the odds are pretty long to convert 2nd and 29. We punted, held them to a 3 and out and continued. Shouldn't have been a big issue that early and if it was, we s*ck.