PDA

View Full Version : Ok I admit Im just a spectator Not a Football Guru gots a question for those who are

olevetonahill
10/26/2012, 06:25 AM
who was our Startin O line thru the 1st 3 games ?
And who are they now? after the Big wins? Did returning starters make the dif?
Or was it the fact that the receivers Improved and we got more talent on the field?

In my opinion , The O line Play defined how the Whole team played .
Thots.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/26/2012, 07:19 AM
That's the way it is 90% of the time IMO, but LJ usually gets blamed.

olevetonahill
10/26/2012, 07:26 AM
That's the way it is 90% of the time IMO, but LJ usually gets blamed.

Kinda My thinkin, But Like Ive said I aint a Whiz at this stuff, I just love the Sooners,

yLast year he made some mistakes hell most every player does . After Ryan went down and Whaley that thru the whole team outta sync . Now this year we had a Patched together line for the 1st 3 games and New receivers .
Im wanting to See what Folk Like STEP an JKM think

Mississippi Sooner
10/26/2012, 08:13 AM
Nothing but a spectator here, either, but it seems to me like getting the receiver situation worked out, settling on Williams as the primary running back and finally using Millard in all the ways he can be used is what has made the difference between the start of the season and now.

cleller
10/26/2012, 08:15 AM
I heard thru the grapevine that Mike Stoops and James Patton were seen at the bookstore together about a month ago. Mike was picking up a copy of "Offensive Line Coaching For Dummies"; Patton was buying "War and Peace".

That should help.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/26/2012, 10:31 AM
I'm not a guru but I play one on tv.

Obviously, the first three games was all Laundry's fault.

HateTheWhorns
10/26/2012, 11:01 AM
who was our Startin O line thru the 1st 3 games ?
And who are they now? after the Big wins? Did returning starters make the dif?
Or was it the fact that the receivers Improved and we got more talent on the field?

In my opinion , The O line Play defined how the Whole team played .
Thots.

I have seen four noticeable changes since Game 3:

1) Casey Walker has been back and he has made a HUGE difference in our front line, not only with his play, but his return allowing other players to return to their natural position.

2) Habern & Evans were the two starters we lost pre-season and are not coming back this year, but the line has continuously improved to the point it is no longer a weakness.

3) Playcalling has improved as the season has worn on. We were very vanilla on O & D(probably by design) up until the TT game. MS unleashed several new blitz packages against TT and JH introduced some new O packages against TU.

4) WR shuffle seems to be coming to an end and players are solidifying their positions and roles. The one thing that is great about this WR unit is their downfield blocking. Haven't seen this kind of WR blocking since 2000.

Had we not lost to KSU, I would feel like we are reliving 2000 all over again. Fortunately, if the chips fall right, we could still end up with the same result. If you remember in 2000, we came off a lackluster win over KU right before the TU game and nobody could imagine what would take place the rest of that season.

Boomer Sooner!

SoonerorLater
10/26/2012, 03:06 PM
Just a duffer myself but I think the answer is all of the above and can roughly be lumped under one big category. Landry Jones comfort level. When things aren't clicking Landry tends to get anxious. When Landry gets anxious his footwork and pocket presence deteriorates. Instead of throwing the ball away or taking a sack he starts going Tony Romo with happy feet, tries to make a play and throws picks and fumbles the ball away. When the pressure is off Landry can kill a defense.

PalmBeachSooner
10/26/2012, 04:40 PM
To me it just looks like the players are doing a lot less thinking and whole lot more playing. The athletecism is starting to show and we are seeing a lot more big plays as a result.

Also, with Saunders and Sheperd filling the inside receiver(s) role it has allowed Stills to move outside and that's why we have seen an increased number of plays down the field in the passing game. In turn this loosens up the defense and has made the running game much better.

No question, at the end of the day, the team is playing in a great way.

Atlsooner
10/26/2012, 04:42 PM
Just a duffer myself but I think the answer is all of the above and can roughly be lumped under one big category. Landry Jones comfort level. When things aren't clicking Landry tends to get anxious. When Landry gets anxious his footwork and pocket presence deteriorates. Instead of throwing the ball away or taking a sack he starts going Tony Romo with happy feet, tries to make a play and throws picks and fumbles the ball away. When the pressure is off Landry can kill a defense.

You can bet the house, they watched film on the UTEP and K-State game, and they are bringing the pressure, BIG TIME. But what a great time for screens, passing to our TE's, and Millard out of the backfield to slow them down.

aurorasooner
10/26/2012, 06:09 PM
You can bet the house, they watched film on the UTEP and K-State game, and they are bringing the pressure, BIG TIME. But what a great time for screens, passing to our TE's, and Millard out of the backfield to slow them down. Caught some ND show this week and Coach Kelly said that K-State was playing our receivers at the LOS and bumping them out of their routes. He said that was a gamble since they can all stretch the field vertically.
With all the press this game's getting, this is probably the biggest game for Heupel. If our offense has a great game-plan, we run the ball w/o getting constantly stuffed & put up more than 30 points and win, then he'll probably jump into the top 5 or so of the "assistant coaches in-line for head-coaching jobs" If our offense gets stuffed by the ND D, with our RBs constantly running into brick walls and Landry plays like he did against K-State, then Heupel will probably get a lot heat again from our fans, and not be mentioned for any HC jobs.

10/27/2012, 02:39 AM
The OL is the secret. Shhhh.