PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Tackle Recruits (updated: 2/2/13)

8timechamps
10/25/2012, 06:49 PM
Updated: 2/2/2012

Current Offers:

Josh Augusta (6-4, 275 - Peoria, Illinois): Committed to Missouri

Maquedius Bain (6-5, 285 - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida): Committed to LSU

Rod Crayton (6-1, 275 - Dadeville, Alabama): Visited Norman in July

Greg Gilmore (6-4, 285 - Hope Mills, North Carolina): Committed to LSU

Toby Johnson (6-4, 290 - Hutchison, Kansas JUCO): Visited OU in September

Justin Manning (6-2, 275 - Dallas, Texas): Committed to Texas A&M

Scott Pagano (6-3, 279 - Honolulu, Hawaii): Committed to Clemson

De'Asian Richardson (6-3, 275 - Orange Park, Florida): Committed to Louisville

Quincy Russell (6-4, 311 - Athens, Texas JUCO): Committed to OU

Deadrin Senat (6-1, 311 - Immokalee, Florida): Committed to South Florida

Hardrick Walker (6-2, 281 - Houston, Texas): Committed to Texas A&M

Charles Walkerr (6-4, 280 - Garland, Texas): Committed to OU

Derrick Huggins (6-3, 285 - Dallas, Texas): Committed to OU

Keith Bryant (6-2, 292 - Delray Beach, Florida): Will visit Norman on January 25th.

Matthew Romar (6-3, 265 - Port Arthur, Texas): Committed to OU

Scott D
10/26/2012, 02:35 PM
If Johnson is from the Atlanta area, Georgia has been known to slow play and drop the ball on kids from the Atlanta area. I'm seeing it happen with the son of a high school friend of mine. He's in the 2014 class, and hasn't gotten much of anything from the Bulldogs at this stage.

JiuJitsuSooner
10/26/2012, 05:07 PM
If Johnson is from the Atlanta area, Georgia has been known to slow play and drop the ball on kids from the Atlanta area. I'm seeing it happen with the son of a high school friend of mine. He's in the 2014 class, and hasn't gotten much of anything from the Bulldogs at this stage.

Not really true, they have about 20-30 players from ATL & Suburbs.. They get almost anyone they want in the state and the ATL area, they always have and always will... Lots of talent in that state

8timechamps
10/26/2012, 07:41 PM

Since he wasn't looked at by anyone coming out of high school, I'm assuming that he's excited to have the offer. Also, he's got a close relationship with Gardner, so that always helps. OU is still very much in the hunt for Johnson, and I think that shows by it being his only official visit. You never really know what's going on in these relationships, but if that's the case (UGA moving slow), it could come back to bite them with Johnson.

MO_Sooner
10/28/2012, 07:47 AM
On ESPN.com Sooner Nation they have a story about a tweet Justin Manning
sent out after the OU-ND game but you have to be an Insider to read it all.
He tweeted "OU got me sick." I'll let you all interpret what it means with his
recruitment to OU. OU got me sick last night too, but I'll stick with them.

8timechamps
10/29/2012, 05:44 PM
On ESPN.com Sooner Nation they have a story about a tweet Justin Manning
sent out after the OU-ND game but you have to be an Insider to read it all.
He tweeted "OU got me sick." I'll let you all interpret what it means with his
recruitment to OU. OU got me sick last night too, but I'll stick with them.

I saw that, and wondered what it meant. I've given up trying to figure out where Manning's head is. I would be pretty shocked if he didn't end up being a Sooner.

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2012, 07:25 PM
Since he wasn't looked at by anyone coming out of high school, I'm assuming that he's excited to have the offer. Also, he's got a close relationship with Gardner, so that always helps. OU is still very much in the hunt for Johnson, and I think that shows by it being his only official visit. You never really know what's going on in these relationships, but if that's the case (UGA moving slow), it could come back to bite them with Johnson.

Not only that, but Johnson has said himself, that the chances he can get into the SEC is slim to none.

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2012, 07:28 PM
Manning is growing tired of the recruiting process right now. He wants to get it done and over with.

But he also wants to finish his visits.

The kid is an OU lock. IMO, its better that he does what he is doing now, than be committed to us and find out he wants to go somewhere else.

Just because he is legacy doesn't mean he has to come to OU. But I think in the end, he is OU's to lose. He grew up around Stoops and the program. It will be very hard (or take a lot of money) for him not to sign with OU.

I think we find out before Christmas, since his visits will be over by then.

8timechamps
11/2/2012, 12:26 PM
Not only that, but Johnson has said himself, that the chances he can get into the SEC is slim to none.

I couldn't remember if that was the same kid. That certainly makes the case for the Sooners a little stronger.

Manning is growing tired of the recruiting process right now. He wants to get it done and over with.

But he also wants to finish his visits.

The kid is an OU lock. IMO, its better that he does what he is doing now, than be committed to us and find out he wants to go somewhere else.

Just because he is legacy doesn't mean he has to come to OU. But I think in the end, he is OU's to lose. He grew up around Stoops and the program. It will be very hard (or take a lot of money) for him not to sign with OU.

I think we find out before Christmas, since his visits will be over by then.

He recently tweeted that "LSU is making his decision easier". The scoop is that some of the LSU coaches think that Manning is good, but not "LSU good". Word got back to him, and I think that pretty much ruled out the Tigers. I think he's realizing that he needs to secure a spot at an elite program. Maybe it's cleared his head a little. Still think he ends up a Sooner.

8timechamps
11/2/2012, 12:28 PM
Add a late offer:

Donovan Munger (6'3" 280 lbs Shaker Heights, Ohio/Shaker Heights) - OU offered Munger on Wednesday, and is No. 281 in the ESPN 300.

picasso
11/2/2012, 11:31 PM
Add a late offer:

Donovan Munger (6'3" 280 lbs Shaker Heights, Ohio/Shaker Heights) - OU offered Munger on Wednesday, and is No. 281 in the ESPN 300.
I like the name.

Soonerfan88
11/4/2012, 10:37 PM
Reports that Johnson has torn his ACL. Since he has a redshirt year available, do you think OU will continue pursuit?

Scott D
11/5/2012, 09:19 AM
Not really true, they have about 20-30 players from ATL & Suburbs.. They get almost anyone they want in the state and the ATL area, they always have and always will... Lots of talent in that state

I agree they can get anyone in the state that they want, but Tech is more successful recruiting ATL than UGA is because UGA slow plays a lot of kids.

LSUdeek
11/8/2012, 07:15 PM
Gilmore committed to LSU over UF and OU today.

8timechamps
11/9/2012, 12:35 PM
Gilmore committed to LSU over UF and OU today.

Made me sad. Although I was a little shocked we were still in the conversation. I think LSU chose Gilmore over Manning.

PalmBeachSooner
11/30/2012, 12:39 PM
So we might get one or two DTs? That's not good.

FaninAma
12/2/2012, 12:25 AM
Any other decent juco DL OU is looking at?

8timechamps
12/2/2012, 02:03 PM
Any other decent juco DL OU is looking at?

Quincy Russell (6'4" 311 lbs (Trinity Valley Community College) - 4 star DT (ESPNU/Scouts), has offer from Texas and interest from Nebraska, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Oklahoma. He hasn't made an official final three list, but the folks that are close to him say it's between Oklahoma and Nebraska.

Top Schools: Texas, Nebraska, OU

Where I think he'll end up: Nebraska

8timechamps
12/2/2012, 02:11 PM
Here's a couple more high school DT recruits we're in on:

Rod Crayton (6'1" 285 lbs, Dadeville, Ala) - No. 54 DT according to ESPNU/Scouts. Offers from Arizona, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Tennessee. Oklahoma has not offered him yet, as I think they are waiting to see how their first options turn out.

Deadrin Senat (6'1" 311 lbs, Immokalee, FL) - No. 27 DT according to ESPNU/Scouts. Decommitted from Florida State after Mark Stoops announced his departure. Originally a high list target for the Sooners until he made his commitment to FSU. Stoops has a policy of not recruiting players once they commit to his brother. Since Mark has left, Senat is back in play. Still has offer from FSU (as well as Tennessee, Ole Miss, USC, and about 10 others). Has expressed interest in Oklahoma since his decomitt.

soonerdo
12/3/2012, 10:08 AM
OU will still have a top 25 class, maybe not top 15 but its all good

8timechamps
12/3/2012, 05:27 PM
I don't know how I missed this one:

Maquedias Bain (6'5" 285 lbs, Ft. Lauderdale, FL) - Bain is ranked as the nations #6 DT according to ESPNU/Scouts. He has made two visits to Norman this season, with his official visit being for the Bedlam game. After his visit, Bain said "The Oklahoma visit was just tremendous,” Bain said. “Right away I felt like it was a place I could succeed at. The coaches and players were very easy to talk to and they answered my questions". He's been very high on the Sooners, and it's starting to look like OU may be in good position to land one of the nation's best uncommitted defensive tackles.

Top Schools: Louisville, Michigan State, Alabama, Ole Miss, OU

What's the scoop?: At this point in the process, Bain has only taken one official visit, and that was to Oklahoma. All indications are that he has a very good relationship with the coaching staff and loves Norman. Alabama has signed (or has on the roster) a boatload of DTs, so they are not recruiting Bain with the same intensity as OU. However, you can't count the Tide out. The only other serious contender is Ole Miss. Right now, the Rebels are putting together a really good class, and landing Bain isn't that much of a longshot.

If I had to guess where he'll end up: OU (it's looking like a real possibility that OU could land both Bain and Manning).

8timechamps
12/7/2012, 06:55 PM
Here's some affitional information on in-home visits with some of the guys I mentioned. If OU can land Bain & Johnson, that would be HUGE!

DT Ben Bradley (Hutchinson Kan./Hutchinson CC - Tennessee Commit) - Monday, Dec. 3
DT Toby Johnson (Hutchinson, Kan./Hutchinson CC) - Monday, Dec. 3
ESPN 150 DT Maquedius Bain (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./University School) - Wednesday, Dec. 5

Soonerjeepman
12/7/2012, 07:41 PM
Manning out..
but maybe those 3 can come in, juco's will help next yr I hope..

8timechamps
12/11/2012, 06:42 PM
Toby Johnson took his official visit to UGA over the weekend, and has named (surprise) UGA as the front-runner. It would be really surprising to see him end up anywhere other than Georgia.

8timechamps
12/13/2012, 09:07 PM
Another DT recruit:

Charles Walker (6'4" 280 lbs, Garland TX.) - Walker is an un-ranked DT on ESPNU & Scouts, Inc., and a Rivals 2 star prospect. Walker has set an official visit to Oklahoma (1/11/2013), and has already had an in-home visit from Jackie Shipp & Bob Stoops. Walker currently has offers from New Mexico, New Mexico State, North Texas, Houston and Texas State. While no offer has been extended to Walker (from OU), one is expected soon. Walker has also received interest from Oregon, LSU, Texas and Texas Tech.

The feeling is that Walker will commit to OU once there is an offer, but OU is probably holding out to see how the DTs ahead of Walker pan out. I'd consider Walker a serviceable "Plan B" DT.

Always_Sooner
12/14/2012, 08:45 AM
I say give the guy a shot.

Maybe he is willing to come work hard and really wants to be a Sooner.

Mjcpr
12/14/2012, 09:11 AM
I hope we can beat out New Mexico, New Mexico State, North Texas, Houston and Texas State.

Always_Sooner
12/14/2012, 09:59 AM
Don't we all.

kevpks
12/14/2012, 04:43 PM
I got a text alert that Kerrick Huggins decommitted from A&M and committed to the Sooners. Four stars; Dallas Skyline.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5830941

BoomerJ
12/14/2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks. Good news. Does anyone know anything about Huggins?

OkieThunderLion
12/14/2012, 05:51 PM
Athletic DT. Was a real early A&M commit, OU didn't offer him until this fall. Some say grades are questionable. Others say he's fine.

8timechamps
12/14/2012, 06:04 PM
Here's the scouting report on Huggins. At least we have a DT on the board!

Skyline is a program that consistently produces a good amount of FBS talent, and Huggins is yet another prospect from this program to continue that production. He's a defensive tackle with very good overall size at this stage. He possesses very good height and carries good bulk with room to add more good size with further physical development and can be a big presence in the heart of the trenches. He flashes a good get-off, but is not an overly explosive player that can produce much quick disruptive penetration.

He can be a stout and tough interior run defender. In addition to his size he displays the ability to come out of his stance and play low and gain leverage and maintain position. He is a big kid who still needs to watch his pad level at times, but does a good job of being able to play half-a-man and get into the gap and stay low and square and fight pressure and hold his ground and get himself in a position to find and play the ball. He does need to do a better job of bringing and using his hands to separate and shed. He comes across as more of a gap-control between the tackles run defender. When he can get his hands on ball carriers he displays the ability to wrap-up and finish. Looks at his best defending the run.

As a pass rusher with his size and ability to keep his pads down he flashes the ability to be able to get under blockers pads and power his way up-field and constrict the pocket. He is adequate as a pass rusher and needs to develop the use of his weapons to help him more quickly work past blockers. Will get his hands up if he can't get to the quarterback. Huggins is a big kid who displays the tools to develop into a tough productive interior run defender and should come with experience competing against good talent on a consistent basis.

OkieThunderLion
12/14/2012, 11:50 PM
I don't know how I missed this one:

Maquedias Bain (6'5" 285 lbs, Ft. Lauderdale, FL) - Bain is ranked as the nations #6 DT according to ESPNU/Scouts. He has made two visits to Norman this season, with his official visit being for the OU-OSU game. After his visit, Bain said "The Oklahoma visit was just tremendous,” Bain said. “Right away I felt like it was a place I could succeed at. The coaches and players were very easy to talk to and they answered my questions". He's been very high on the Sooners, and it's starting to look like OU may be in good position to land one of the nation's best uncommitted defensive tackles.

Top Schools: Louisville, Michigan State, Alabama, Ole Miss, OU

What's the scoop?: At this point in the process, Bain has only taken one official visit, and that was to Oklahoma. All indications are that he has a very good relationship with the coaching staff and loves Norman. Alabama has signed (or has on the roster) a boatload of DTs, so they are not recruiting Bain with the same intensity as OU. However, you can't count the Tide out. The only other serious contender is Ole Miss. Right now, the Rebels are putting together a really good class, and landing Bain isn't that much of a longshot.

If I had to guess where he'll end up: OU (it's looking like a real possibility that OU could land both Bain and Manning).

I have a friend coaching in Florida that said Bain has "zero chance" of qualifying. For whatever that is worth. ??

BoulderSooner79
12/15/2012, 01:37 AM
I have a friend coaching in Florida that said Bain has "zero chance" of qualifying. For whatever that is worth. ??

Folks on landthieves are claiming that Huggins is a big qualifying risk as well.

1sooners1
12/15/2012, 04:59 PM
Kids that know that they're not going to qualify probably take every (free?) visit they possibly can.

OR- am I wrong? Who foots the bill on these visits (travel/lodging) etc?

8timechamps
12/15/2012, 09:41 PM
Kids that know that they're not going to qualify probably take every (free?) visit they possibly can.

OR- am I wrong? Who foots the bill on these visits (travel/lodging) etc?

It's free for the recruit, so you're not wrong (and if I am correct, they can have an adult along too, but I may be wrong about that part).

I don't know about Huggins situation, but Bain is such a highly recruited kid, I would think that OU (or any school he commits to) will do any and everything possible to get him qualified. Same thing happened with Trey Metoyer, but he was just too far behind to qualify.

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 02:11 PM
Update for Quincy Russell: He's announced that his decision is down to the final two: Oklahoma & Nebraska. At this point, I think he's still a slight Nebraska lean, but we'll see.

8timechamps
12/17/2012, 10:20 PM
Supposedly, Bain to LSU is all but official. Will update the first page when/if the announcement is made.

Boomer.....
12/19/2012, 12:35 PM
Quincy Russell is ours!!!!

http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=9&c=8&toinid=667&yr=2013

8timechamps
12/19/2012, 01:44 PM
Updated first page with Quincy Russell

8timechamps
12/27/2012, 09:22 PM
Added Keith Bryant to the list.

8timechamps
1/12/2013, 10:13 PM
Charles Walker is a Sooner.

lexsooner
1/12/2013, 10:38 PM
Charles Walker is a Sooner.

Good news. Did he suddenly pick up a star too with the recruiting service? If so, it reminds me of our discussion about recruiting services a few weeks ago.

8timechamps
1/12/2013, 11:00 PM
Good news. Did he suddenly pick up a star too with the recruiting service? If so, it reminds me of our discussion about recruiting services a few weeks ago.

LOL, could be.

My personal favorite was Cody Thomas. Back in the early spring, when ESPN released their "Top 300" list, he was nowhere to be found. The day after he got an OU offer, he made his debut at 181. So, basically overnight, he went from unknown to the 181st best player in the country. OUTSTANDING!

Curly Bill
1/12/2013, 11:09 PM
Our recent 4-star recruits haven't exactly distinguised themselves, maybe a lower ranked guy will.

OU_Sooners75
1/13/2013, 01:20 AM
Curly why do u follow OU football when you are so disgruntled or disgusted by it?

Curly Bill
1/13/2013, 12:40 PM
Curly why do u follow OU football when you are so disgruntled or disgusted by it?

Because I've been a lifetime fan doesn't mean I can't be less than thrilled by the current situation. Was this a real question, because if so it wasn't well thought out, or were you just trying to stir stuff up?

Soonerjeepman
1/13/2013, 12:49 PM
ok you being a former lineman..right?

I'm with Curly a little on this one...tell me why I should/shouldn't get excited about OU recruiting guys against schools like New Mexico, Houston, etc? Baylor is just now showing INTEREST not even an offer for this kid. Not saying he sucks or not worth the offer, I know all the 2/3 star success stories we've had. BUT with our recent busts in the big bowls (sorry uconn, iowa even stanford without luck don't count) this has to show OU is not getting the top talent and hasn't for awhile.

I just can't get excited about a kid that wasn't recruited by other big boys than OU....not til he starts playing. * I don't too excited about recruiting anyways.

yes coaching is big, but sometimes natural talent just is the "it" factor...ya can't make chicken salad out of chicken $hit.

SoonerorLater
1/13/2013, 01:01 PM
ok you being a former lineman..right?

I'm with Curly a little on this one...tell me why I should/shouldn't get excited about OU recruiting guys against schools like New Mexico, Houston, etc? Baylor is just now showing INTEREST not even an offer for this kid. Not saying he sucks or not worth the offer, I know all the 2/3 star success stories we've had. BUT with our recent busts in the big bowls (sorry uconn, iowa even stanford without luck don't count) this has to show OU is not getting the top talent and hasn't for awhile.

I just can't get excited about a kid that wasn't recruited by other big boys than OU....not til he starts playing. * I don't too excited about recruiting anyways.

yes coaching is big, but sometimes natural talent just is the "it" factor...ya can't make chicken salad out of chicken $hit.

It's hard to understand how we have come to the point where we are recruiting against mid-major programs for talent. I understand that Rivals' ratings are no guarantee of success but when you get down to recruiting 2 star guys you are most likely going to have many, many fails for every Jason Pierre-Paul. Our recruiting has a feel of desperation about it.

Scott D
1/13/2013, 03:27 PM
It wasn't really all that long ago that there wasn't a star system for recruiting. This system is so vastly overrated it's ridiculous, and the fact that some people even swear by it is even more ridiculous. The fact that it allowed coaches to get lazy and just recruit based on it is even sillier. Basically technology has turned an obsession by some who are interested in scouting into a multimillion dollar business and have had a great deal of hits and misses in the process of it. People say that they need a Kelly Gregg type at OU. Hell, I'd wager that Kelly would have been a 3 star recruit at best by today's standards. Plenty of players have been "ranked" low and turned out to be far better than advertised. The percentages favor the players with "more stars" simply because there are fewer of them in the overall pool of players.

It wasn't that long ago that many were mocking the recruiting services and their star ratings by making jokes that schools A, B, and C (in this case USC, ND, and Miami) were interested in a kid, so the kid magically went from being 2 stars to being 4 stars.

8timechamps
1/13/2013, 04:36 PM
It's hard to understand how we have come to the point where we are recruiting against mid-major programs for talent. I understand that Rivals' ratings are no guarantee of success but when you get down to recruiting 2 star guys you are most likely going to have many, many fails for every Jason Pierre-Paul. Our recruiting has a feel of desperation about it.

While I do think the Sooners missed out on some bigger name DTs this year, competing for talent against lower level programs is absolutely nothing new. Think about how many high school kids play football in America. Unless you are one of around 300 players that are known before their junior season, then you (typically a coach or parent) have to get the attention of big programs.

Take Charles Walker as an example, I am not bothered at all that OU was the biggest program to offer, because Walker has camped at OU while in high school. The staff knows this kid, he wasn't a shot in the dark. He may not have been the #1 target on their board, but he was up there somewhere. It doesn't matter that OU was the biggest school to offer, you could make a long list of really good players that were in the same position. The bottom line is that there are far more players than there are schools with a need at their position from year to year.

Soonerjeepman
1/13/2013, 05:43 PM
8time,
yeah I agree...and obviously my opinion means absolutely jack lol. Obviously Shipp liked him and thought he could help. He has the size, is he someone you think will help next yr?

I do appreciate your non-smarta$$ responses, unlike some folks here.
THanks

lexsooner
1/14/2013, 12:47 PM
8time,
I do appreciate your non-smarta$$ responses, unlike some folks here.
THanks

I second that about 8Time. It is so refreshing to have a board moderator who is knowledgeable and respectful to all posters. I'm glad at least one moderator on SF is a secure individual.

OkieThunderLion
1/14/2013, 12:53 PM
Q Russell had eligibility issues. But still supposed to be here by summer.

8timechamps
1/16/2013, 09:01 PM
The Sooners offered Matthew Romar (6' 3", 265 lbs). Seems thin, so I'm guessing he'll redshirt. Who knows.

Widescreen
1/16/2013, 09:06 PM
The Sooners offered Matthew Romar (6' 3", 2265 lbs). Seems thin, so I'm guessing he'll redshirt. Who knows.

Thin? At 2265 lbs? You're being ironic, right?

;)

8timechamps
1/16/2013, 09:09 PM
Thin? At 2265 lbs? You're being ironic, right?

;)

Awesome!

stoopified
1/17/2013, 07:10 AM
Awesome!I can see it now,OU unveils their 1-5-5 defensive scheme.At 2265 our d- line should be impregnable up the middle.

KantoSooner
1/17/2013, 10:22 AM
Hell, in American Samoa, they'd call him 'Slim'.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/17/2013, 11:52 AM

The problem is if you go back and look through our commitment lists we have a much higher success rate with low rated guys than we do higher rated guys. There is an abundance of great college talent out there but you have to dig for it. Up until 2 years ago, Boise State has only had never had higher than a 3 star recruit in their history.

8timechamps
1/21/2013, 09:55 PM
No surprise (as OU has been out of the race for months), Josh Augusta to Missouri.

Collier11
1/21/2013, 10:34 PM
some people care way too much about Star ratings...for every 5 star that has panned out as a superstar, there have been 5 two and three stars that have done so

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2013, 11:17 PM
Here is what bothers me.

Class of 09 was ranked 13th..of the 23 signed, 11 didn't finish their eligiblity here..only 2 of those was guys leaving early for NFL..I don't care about stars..I just want guys who want to be at OU.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/28/2013, 09:46 PM
Interesting number looking at some Alabama numbers

Of the 27 Alabama players drafted since 2007, 16 were ranked 3-stars or lower as recruits by either Rivals or Scout.

8timechamps
1/28/2013, 09:51 PM

Of the 27 Alabama players drafted since 2007, 16 were ranked 3-stars or lower as recruits by either Rivals or Scout.

I've started a side project; I'm going back and looking at guys that were recruited by OU, and I'm looking at three things:

1. From the time they were offered, how long did it take them to commit. I want to see if there is any correlation to late offers/missing on guys.

2. What the average recruit ranking was per position (in BCS title game years).

3. Looking at guys rated 3 stars, or below, who else offered and how did they turn out.

I suspect I'm going to find exactly what you mentioned. 3 star players ultimately make a team what it is, which isn't a far stretch considering there are more 3 star guys...but, it'll still be interesting.

Boomer.....
1/29/2013, 08:20 AM
The Sooners offered Matthew Romar (6' 3", 265 lbs). Seems thin, so I'm guessing he'll redshirt. Who knows.

Committed.

sooner KB
1/29/2013, 09:39 AM

While this is interesting, it still doesn't really let us compare 3-stars vs. 4-stars vs. 5-stars. There are obviously a much higher amount of 3-star players than 5-star players, so to be able to really understand this it seems that we need percentages. What I would like to see is what percentage of 5-star players go on to be drafted, what percentage of 4-star players, etc. Just going by number of players seems useless to me.

I'm not arguing, maybe 3-star recruits are more likely to get drafted than 5-star. I'm just saying you can't make that point with those numbers.

sooner KB
1/29/2013, 10:48 AM
Follow Up Post:

So I had nothing better to do here at work, so I crunched some numbers. I used scout and took the total number of 5-stars, 4-stars, etc recruited from 2002 to 2008, since those that got drafted since 2007 were in those classes. I had to take out Trent Richardson from the analysis, since he is from a recruiting class (2009) where most of the players will get drafted in the 2013 class. I also added one player that was drafted in 2006 since he was in the 2002 class. The player I took out was a 5 star and the player I added was unranked, so me doing this should actually bolster the numbers in the other direction (supporting the argument that 3-star players are just as likely or more likely to get drafted as 5-star players).

Here are the results. From 2002 to 2008, Alabama had 5 five-star recruits, 40 four-star recruits, 76 three-star recruits, 36 two-star recruits, and 17 unranked recruits. This means that 14 were ranked 3-star or lower. (Perhaps the article used rivals, where it was 16 players?) Still, 14 out of 27 players, that's a lot, right?

Lets take a look at it another way. This way is more telling.

Since 2002, Alabama has recruited 5 players with 5 stars, not including Trent Richardson. Of these 5, 4 of them were drafted. 80% of 5-star players got drafted.

Since 2002, Alabama has recruited 40 players with 4 stars. Of these, 9 were drafted. 23% of 4-star players got drafted.

Since 2002, Alabama has recruited 76 players with 3 stars. Of these, 8 were drafted. 11% of 3-star players got drafted.

And you get the point. If anyone can see any glaring problems I made with my maths, let me know. I'm no math whiz, though I think this is basically correct. Now obviously, using the draft as an indicator for how good players turn out to be in college might be slightly dubious, since some players can be great in college, but not have skills that transfer into draft status for whatever reason. A better measure might be to go by percentage of 3-star players that made all-conference or something like that. Those players mentioned above were probably mostly ranked 5 stars by scout because of their height, weight, speed, etc. Likewise, they were probably drafted high years later largely because of physical measurements.

I still think though that it's a little absurd to imply that 3-star recruits turn out just as well on average as 5-star recruits, or even better. The numbers just don't add up. Of course, rivals or scout will never be perfect in scouting how well a player will be. It's obviously way too complicated to be perfect on having to be all-knowing about the HS player's character, how he'll develop, and everything else. But there's still a decent correlation between how good scout or rivals thinks a HS player is and how good he will turn out. You could make a good argument that people shouldn't freak out too much, since there are always plenty of 3-star and even 2-star players than go on to the NFL (Interestingly, the numbers showed that 11% of their 2-star players were drafted, same as 3-star). But it's not absurd to be concerned to some extent with an OU recruiting class with a higher percentage of 3-stars than normal.

Edit: And in telling fashion, the one 5-star recruit out of 5 (or 6 if you count Richardson) that did not get drafted gets used in a Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/694605-alabama-football-five-star-busts-prove-its-not-all-written-in-the-stars) article as proof (yes, that word is in the title) as how stars are not worth anything because of "all the busts," even though 5 of 6 being drafted should, if anything, be used to prove the opposite point. Funny stuff.

BoomerJ
1/29/2013, 11:54 AM
Looking at Romar I've seen 6' 2" or 6' 3", 265-275. It'll be good for him to gain some size the first year. However, he shows nice strength and real quickness. I'm excited about this pick up. Let's hope that all 4 DT's make it in this Summer.

8timechamps
1/29/2013, 03:07 PM
Still nothing official on Romar...will update when I see something.

8timechamps
1/29/2013, 09:17 PM
Still hasn't been confirmed, but I'm adding Matthew Romar as committed.

BoomerJ
1/30/2013, 05:53 PM
Rivals shows him.

8timechamps
1/30/2013, 07:09 PM
Rivals shows him.

It was confirmed earlier today, but I haven't had a chance to get on and post until now. That makes four for this class, surely one of these kids is a stud.

NormanPride
2/1/2013, 06:59 AM
So with us. Moving to a 3-4 how does this affect our numbers? I imagine a bunch of d ends are becoming olb and d tackles move outside...

picasso
2/1/2013, 08:22 AM
It was confirmed earlier today, but I haven't had a chance to get on and post until now. That makes four for this class, surely one of these kids is a stud.

Don't call me Shirley!

sooneron
2/1/2013, 09:18 AM
Follow Up Post:

I felt it better not to contain your quote (length), which was very informative. However, we are talking about college players here. Some guys coast through college or have careers that were not significant and they get drafted all the time. One person that comes to mind is Chris Chester. I remember many being surprised that he was drafted, let alone in the 2nd round. He was, by no means, a monster in the middle for us. He was good/serviceable. He was drafted in the 2nd round due to how he graded for the scouts on pro days/combine and he could play C/G. Do we want a team of Chesters? I'm not sure. We still lost games when he was on the roster. Yeah, I know that makes no sense... but whatever.
What if McFarland blows them away in the weeks leading to the draft and goes in the first 3-4 rounds? Are we going to say, "Thank God we had Jamarkus all those years!" ?
Hell, look at Matt Cassel for further proof as to a player's worth to his college team vs. draft status...

Seamus
2/1/2013, 01:53 PM
Don't call me Shirley!

My dad says you don't work hard enough on defense. And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try except during the playoffs.

vtsooner21
2/1/2013, 02:46 PM
Have you ever seen a Turkish Prison?

Boomer

vtsooner21
2/1/2013, 02:47 PM
Also: Give me Ham on 5 and hold the Mayo...

Boomer

8timechamps
2/1/2013, 07:45 PM
Roger, Roger.

picasso
2/2/2013, 03:05 AM
My dad says you don't work hard enough on defense. And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try except during the playoffs.

Try busting your rear up and down the court with Lanier and Walton. kid

Seamus
2/2/2013, 12:46 PM
Roger, Roger.

Vector, Victor.

Clearance, Clarence.

vtsooner21
2/2/2013, 03:26 PM
I cab make a hat, a broach,...

Boomer

Ruf/Nek7
2/2/2013, 04:18 PM
Just read that Georgia no longer in mix for Toby Johnson and they were thought to be favorite. His opens the door for OU.

8timechamps
2/2/2013, 06:35 PM
Just read that Georgia no longer in mix for Toby Johnson and they were thought to be favorite. His opens the door for OU.

The D-line coach that had the relationship with Johnson left. This was about a month ago, and the relationship between Johnson and UGA fell off the cliff.

Sabanball
2/2/2013, 08:10 PM
More raiding by the SEC into Texas. Looks like Bama will steal one from the whorns this time and sign 5 star DT A'Shawn Robinson out of Ft Worth....

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-A'Shawn-Robinson-123086;_ylt=AqjnVslySER1.3knqxhn.2xGPZB4#college_c hoices

He told the Texas coaches on their in-home this past week that he was going to Bama. Possible fallout from Applewhite-Gate? Maybe, but whatever the case seems that things might be unraveling a bit in Austin. I've always thought that DFW was your guys turf, yet I don't see where you guys ever offered this kid. Was there a reason?

8timechamps
2/2/2013, 09:46 PM
More raiding by the SEC into Texas. Looks like Bama will steal one from the whorns this time and sign 5 star DT A'Shawn Robinson out of Ft Worth....

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-A'Shawn-Robinson-123086;_ylt=AqjnVslySER1.3knqxhn.2xGPZB4#college_c hoices

He told the Texas coaches on their in-home this past week that he was going to Bama. Possible fallout from Applewhite-Gate? Maybe, but whatever the case seems that things might be unraveling a bit in Austin. I've always thought that DFW was your guys turf, yet I don't see where you guys ever offered this kid. Was there a reason?

The only reason I can think that we didn't offer Robinson was because Manning was believed to be a lock. Otherwise, we offered quiet a few DTs, and I think they didn't want to add another kid to the mix so late in the process. I can't think of any other reason.

Anytime a recruit can be stolen from Texas, it's a good thing. Congrats sabanball!

sooneron
2/3/2013, 09:12 AM

Possible fallout from Applewhite-Gate?

Srsly? You really think that an offensive coach getting caught 4 years ago with a college student is going to affect a Dlineman's choice of school?

Sabanball
2/3/2013, 01:41 PM
Srsly? You really think that an offensive coach getting caught 4 years ago with a college student is going to affect a Dlineman's choice of school?

Normally, I would say no, but with all the bad pub they are getting over it along with the fact that they've lost 4 other high profile commits lately just thought hey it may have possibly helped tip the scales for us. Two wks ago this kid would not even give our staff the time of day. What else changed in that short period of time?

Tulsa_Fireman
2/3/2013, 02:15 PM
Uhhhh, texas sucks?

Applevaginagate hasn't done jack. Quit giving it up to yourself.

sooneron
2/3/2013, 04:43 PM
Normally, I would say no, but with all the bad pub they are getting over it along with the fact that they've lost 4 other high profile commits lately just thought hey it may have possibly helped tip the scales for us. Two wks ago this kid would not even give our staff the time of day. What else changed in that short period of time?

Probably more to the fact that it appears that texas has to face one of two bad situations-
1) :mack: stays and they continue to suck
2) :mack: leaves and they go through the Schnellenberger Blake years...

Curly Bill
2/3/2013, 04:45 PM
One of the cable news channels just brought up how Bev Kearney and Applewhite are being treated differently by the uterus folks. Expect this story to grow.

Seamus
2/3/2013, 08:48 PM

Probably jonesing for some of that prime Alabama antler spray or powdered bear testicle or whatever the hell else is on Saban's menu of soon-to-be-banned substances.

sooneron
2/4/2013, 02:32 PM
Maybe he thinks he'll get a special kind of shirt when he's asked to gray shirt! ooh, will it be Lacoste? Polo? Burberry? Robert Graham???

Sabanball
2/4/2013, 11:27 PM
Maybe he thinks he'll get a special kind of shirt when he's asked to gray shirt! ooh, will it be Lacoste? Polo? Burberry? Robert Graham???

Na....we're saving the gray shirt for Henry Poggi, a 4 star Michigan commit that might very well give up a total free ride in Ann Arbor to come to Tuscaloosa and gray shirt.:-)

Widescreen
2/5/2013, 07:16 AM
Na....we're saving the gray shirt for Henry Poggi, a 4 star Michigan commit that might very well give up a total free ride in Ann Arbor to come to Tuscaloosa and gray shirt.:-)
If he does, he's a complete moron.

Curly Bill
2/5/2013, 08:46 AM

He's a high school age boy, of course he's a moron!

Herr Scholz
2/5/2013, 10:40 AM
We've got a nice albeit smallish class (15) this year, the strength definitely being on the O line. We've definitely had more decommits this year than previously (5 this year vs 5 in the previous 5 years) which include RB Hicks to TCU, TE Smythe to ND, WR RSJ to A&M, DE Daeshon Hall to UW and DT Robinson to Bama. If we would've hung onto those guys, this class would've been pretty stellar. But that represents the past 3 down years we've had and that we're not the hot ticket in town anymore.

I can understand Hicks going elsewhere due to our young stable of RBs. We've got the numbers at WR, still no playmaking TE but we got a juco there. The glaring hole in this class is the D line though. If we don't land Andrew Billings today, we will have ZERO DEs and ZERO DTs in this class. You can't have a class with no D linemen especially in a year with so many good DTs. That will leave a big hole in coming years.

Anyway, since you guys are going to a 3:4 presumably, can we haz one of your DTs? :crushed: Not picky, I would just request that he's played the game before at least once and that he has 4 working limbs.

Widescreen
2/5/2013, 11:33 AM
Not picky, I would just request that he's played the game before at least once and that he has 4 working limbs.

I'm not sure all our recruits meet that threshhold.

Herr Scholz
2/5/2013, 04:31 PM
If we don't land Andrew Billings today, we will have ZERO DEs and ZERO DTs in this class. You can't have a class with no D linemen especially in a year with so many good DTs. That will leave a big hole in coming years.

And there it is. Billings to Baylor. That's 0 d linemen for UT in this class, ladies and gentlemen. Mack Brown must go. If he can't pull talented kids, his usefulness has come to an end.

sooneron
2/5/2013, 04:35 PM
Wow, baylor stealing from austin. The TIMES they are a Changin'!!!

LakeRat
2/5/2013, 04:36 PM
And there it is. Billings to Baylor. That's 0 d linemen for UT in this class, ladies and gentlemen. Mack Brown must go. If he can't pull talented kids, his usefulness has come to an end.

BULL SHEEEEET!!!! I hope he stays!!!

Scott D
2/5/2013, 04:40 PM
Eh to be fair it's not a surprise that Briles is able to steal a few top guys here and there in Texas, he's still pretty popular with high school coaches.

Herr Scholz
2/5/2013, 05:04 PM
No, Briles is definitely a good coach. They beat us head to head for a couple guys: DT Andrew Billings and WR Robbie Rhodes. Plus, Billings is from Waco. That's not that big of a deal.

My gripe is that we weren't able to get a single DT or DE in this entire class. This was a deep class for talented DTs and we whiffed on all of them. DE is good for the 2014 class but not DT. We're either going juco at this point or having a hole there for a couple of years. We just don't have much to sell right now with Mack and Manny _iaz. I'm afraid this is going to get worse before it gets better too. Mack will ride this ship all the way to the bottom.

Widescreen
2/5/2013, 05:05 PM

Mack still has brilliant coaching to fall back on.

Herr Scholz
2/5/2013, 05:12 PM
What's most important is that Mack gets to go out on his own terms. We don't want any hurt feelings or anything. Gross.

8timechamps
2/5/2013, 05:19 PM
No, Briles is definitely a good coach. They beat us head to head for a couple guys: DT Andrew Billings and WR Robbie Rhodes. Plus, Billings is from Waco. That's not that big of a deal.

My gripe is that we weren't able to get a single DT or DE in this entire class. This was a deep class for talented DTs and we whiffed on all of them. DE is good for the 2014 class but not DT. We're either going juco at this point or having a hole there for a couple of years. We just don't have much to sell right now with Mack and Manny _iaz. I'm afraid this is going to get worse before it gets better too. Mack will ride this ship all the way to the bottom.

Really, no DEs? I thought that you guys had gotten one or two. Well, I'm not sure you want any of ours (per an earlier comment in another post)...I'm not sure we have any that can play (or stay eligible to play).

Herr Scholz
2/5/2013, 05:30 PM
Really, no DEs? I thought that you guys had gotten one or two.
Nope. We had Daeshon Hall who is a great DE but he decommited to UW (supposedly for "family" there) and now it looks like he will end up at A&M tomorrow. We have Jake Raulerson but he's projected at center.

The tree of woe. Texas is on it.

8timechamps
2/5/2013, 05:44 PM
Nope. We had Daeshon Hall who is a great DE but he decommited to UW (supposedly for "family" there) and now it looks like he will end up at A&M tomorrow. We have Jake Raulerson but he's projected at center.

The tree of woe. Texas is on it.

Wow, that's crazy. The one guy that decommitted, that I think Texas will look back and be glad he didn't come, is RSJ. That kid is going to have a tough time making it through 2 years of college ball without incident...let alone 3 or more.

Sabanball
2/5/2013, 08:01 PM

Not if he wants a shot at a ring and more prep for an NFL career. And, It's amazing how uneducated people are about 'gray-shirting." Once you fully understand it, frankly I think it's under-utilized. Some benefits:

6 years to play 4: This buys extra time for a college athlete. If you are striving towards an NFL career, the additional time can make a big difference.
Early enrollee: Delaying enrollment does not require waiting a full year, it merely requires waiting until January to enroll. This not only allows the athlete to participate in spring practice, but it also allows them additional time in the classroom, putting them closer to graduating or an advanced degree. In this regard, they gain even more time, as enrolling a few months earlier would have cost them a full year of eligibility/athletic scholarship.
Time to heal: Greyshirting is particularly useful if a player is recovering from an injury. If they are not able to perform football activities, why on earth would they want to start their eligibility clock?
Time to develop: Some positions are much more demanding than others. Mental and physical development can be key. Giving the athlete this additional time could be the difference between a pro career or not, and could greatly affect their impact as a college football player.
Some time off: They are heading into a college career, which could turn into a pro career. It's hard for me to grasp why the prospect of a break after high school should be such a bad thing.

After thinking this through, I'm puzzled why it is not used more often. In truth, I think college coaches are hesitant to offer it because if more people realized all the advantages, they might have trouble getting potential instant contributors on campus.However, I will remain puzzled when someone says "____ wouldn't take a greyshirt offer". Really? They're in a hurry for their eligibility to run out? The only players that should even consider balking at this offer would be three and done players that know they would play right away (in which case why greyshirt them?). Even players that wouldn't redshirt have very little to complain about, and should they decide to transfer, having that redshirt year available would come in handy.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my thoughts in this issue, since the public perception seems to be rather ill informed.

Sabanball
2/5/2013, 08:11 PM
t

What do you think happened with A'Shawn Robinson? We didn't get in on him until just the last couple of weeks.

Herr Scholz
2/5/2013, 09:03 PM
What do you think happened with A'Shawn Robinson? We didn't get in on him until just the last couple of weeks.
He's been committed to UT since last Spring and he was telling us he was solid all along even though he was taking visits. Can't really blame him going to Bama with the national titles and all but I just wish he would've told us sooner than the week before Signing Day so we could've recruited someone else. I think he was looking seriously at USC until their class imploded, then Saban put on the hard sell and that was that. We steal last minute guys too though so I guess I can't complain too much. That really put a dent in our class and our DT depth though.

Herr Scholz
2/5/2013, 09:04 PM
Wow, that's crazy. The one guy that decommitted, that I think Texas will look back and be glad he didn't come, is RSJ. That kid is going to have a tough time making it through 2 years of college ball without incident...let alone 3 or more.

Maybe. He seems kind of diva-ish. He reminds me of that knucklehead Martellus Bennett a little bit both with the basketball playing and the ego.

8timechamps
2/5/2013, 09:27 PM
Maybe. He seems kind of diva-ish. He reminds me of that knucklehead Martellus Bennett a little bit both with the basketball playing and the ego.

Good comparison, he does remind me of Bennett.

This may be my disdain for A&M talking, but you have to wonder if having all the "Me first" guys in this incoming class will come back to bite them. There's no question they have landed some top recruits, but no matter how many stud DTs you have on the roster, no more than 2 (3 max) are going to play at once.

8timechamps
2/5/2013, 09:31 PM
Not if he wants a shot at a ring and more prep for an NFL career. And, It's amazing how uneducated people are about 'gray-shirting." Once you fully understand it, frankly I think it's under-utilized. Some benefits:

6 years to play 4: This buys extra time for a college athlete. If you are striving towards an NFL career, the additional time can make a big difference.
Early enrollee: Delaying enrollment does not require waiting a full year, it merely requires waiting until January to enroll. This not only allows the athlete to participate in spring practice, but it also allows them additional time in the classroom, putting them closer to graduating or an advanced degree. In this regard, they gain even more time, as enrolling a few months earlier would have cost them a full year of eligibility/athletic scholarship.
Time to heal: Greyshirting is particularly useful if a player is recovering from an injury. If they are not able to perform football activities, why on earth would they want to start their eligibility clock?
Time to develop: Some positions are much more demanding than others. Mental and physical development can be key. Giving the athlete this additional time could be the difference between a pro career or not, and could greatly affect their impact as a college football player.
Some time off: They are heading into a college career, which could turn into a pro career. It's hard for me to grasp why the prospect of a break after high school should be such a bad thing.

After thinking this through, I'm puzzled why it is not used more often. In truth, I think college coaches are hesitant to offer it because if more people realized all the advantages, they might have trouble getting potential instant contributors on campus.However, I will remain puzzled when someone says "____ wouldn't take a greyshirt offer". Really? They're in a hurry for their eligibility to run out? The only players that should even consider balking at this offer would be three and done players that know they would play right away (in which case why greyshirt them?). Even players that wouldn't redshirt have very little to complain about, and should they decide to transfer, having that redshirt year available would come in handy.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my thoughts in this issue, since the public perception seems to be rather ill informed.

You should think of it as a positive, it's done your program well, and that's how your team works. I'd probably feel the same way if OU did it and won national titles.

That said, I still think it's a shady proposition, that takes advantage of kids. Not all of them, because there are many that know going in how it's going to work. But, I think that there are many that don't completely understand. Who pays for the education, living expenses, etc. for the gray shirts? Not the school.

Now, I'm not saying that there aren't some benefits to the process, because there are. I just think it can (and many times does) take advantage of kids that should be getting their degree paid for elsewhere.

SicEmBaylor
2/5/2013, 09:44 PM

Getting Billings tonight (4* DT) was huge for us. Great news.

landrun
2/6/2013, 08:19 AM
The D-line coach that had the relationship with Johnson left. This was about a month ago, and the relationship between Johnson and UGA fell off the cliff.

So, what are our chances of getting Johnson today?
Are we still in the mix for him? I saw he took a late visit to Auburn.

FaninAma
2/6/2013, 10:08 AM
Sabanball's regurgitation of the "benefits" of gray-shirting is comedic genius. Pure gold, Jerry.

CowboyMRW
2/6/2013, 10:45 AM
You should think of it as a positive, it's done your program well, and that's how your team works. I'd probably feel the same way if OU did it and won national titles.

That said, I still think it's a shady proposition, that takes advantage of kids. Not all of them, because there are many that know going in how it's going to work. But, I think that there are many that don't completely understand. Who pays for the education, living expenses, etc. for the gray shirts? Not the school.

Now, I'm not saying that there aren't some benefits to the process, because there are. I just think it can (and many times does) take advantage of kids that should be getting their degree paid for elsewhere.

Please, those kids are getting money.

SoonerAtKU
2/6/2013, 10:54 AM
Frankly, I don't know why MORE school's don't sign ten extra kids a year and then run off those that don't perform. I mean, you look at it in terms of benefits to the program, and the guys who get to stay have a better shot at winning championships, so that's fantastic all around.

What's that?

It's not so great for the people you run off? Who says? Sour Grapes over there who wasn't good enough to hack it at the University of By God Alabama, ROLL TIDE?

LakeRat
2/6/2013, 12:03 PM

Do they get to practice, workout, have the same tutors etc. . .
Do they come out of school with a 25k loan now b/c they had to grey shirt?
How much improvement is done between a redshirt junior and a red shirt senior?
Can you show me a situation where this was a major benefit to one of the Bama kids?
DO Kids that aren't your top tier get drafted?

This is a big stretch and your seeing it through crimson colored glasses. It is unethical and bad for the kids. But it is about rings.

cherokeebrewer
2/6/2013, 12:22 PM
It is unethical and bad for the kids. But it is about rings.

While I tend to agree that it's somewhat sleazy, the players are not being forced to sign...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/6/2013, 02:04 PM
The only school that really used grayshirting in the big 12 was aTm. I honestly can't remember them ever having one actually amount to anything, but that wasn't why RC used it. He used it as a method to keep talent away from TTech.

OUster
2/6/2013, 06:04 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS WHOLESOME AND RIGHT...ANY NEWS ON TOBY JOHNSON?! I think this guy would make a difference and as of right now, mums the word...anyone....?

Scott D
2/6/2013, 07:22 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS WHOLESOME AND RIGHT...ANY NEWS ON TOBY JOHNSON?! I think this guy would make a difference and as of right now, mums the word...anyone....?

scuttlebutt is that he's waiting until Feb 12th before sending his LOI

8timechamps
2/6/2013, 07:26 PM
Johnson has another week until he has to make his decision (as do all JUCO players). So, I don't think we'll hear anything until then. My feeling is that OU is pushing hard, and it'll be between OU & UGA, and UGA has fallen a bit since losing their D-line coach.

OUster
2/6/2013, 10:05 PM
Danke, fellas! I really hope we get this dude. With Phillips growing, our existing DL class and Johnson, the DLine would look pretty stout.

8timechamps
2/6/2013, 11:02 PM
Danke, fellas! I really hope we get this dude. With Phillips growing, our existing DL class and Johnson, the DLine would look pretty stout.

Yep, he's the one guy I've really wanted. I think we'll be fine at DL, but Johnson could really make a difference.