PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that Notre Dame is a Media Darling ?

En_Fuego
10/25/2012, 03:30 PM
They all hope we lose and lose BIG.............Don't let them feed ..............We are set up for another :>( *** fest from the media) .

Come on Laundry

Come on D.D

Come on Trey....

Come on DL........

Please ............If there were any "Magic" left.............................JUST DO IT !

ouwasp
10/25/2012, 03:36 PM
Heck yes ND is a media darling. I would imagine the term was coined for them!

8timechamps
10/25/2012, 03:38 PM
I mentioned this in the first ND thread that popped up here, for those that are too young to remember when ND was good, you have no idea what will happen if they beat us Saturday. You think the SEC love fest is bad, you've seen nothing until you witness an ND love fest.

BigTip
10/25/2012, 03:46 PM
Yes yes and yes.

That is why it always use to, back when they were relevant, to take them getting beaten twice to knock them out of the top ten. They would ALWAYS be the highest ranked one loss team. This is one of the main reasons I hate them and, just out of habit, hope they get beat by everyone.

En_Fuego
10/25/2012, 04:39 PM
I mentioned this in the first ND thread that popped up here, for those that are too young to remember when ND was good, you have no idea what will happen if they beat us Saturday. You think the SEC love fest is bad, you've seen nothing until you witness an ND love fest.

That's it my Man !

You have hit it !

badger
10/25/2012, 04:42 PM
Miami and other Florida schools used to be the BCS darlings. Then the SEC (and a bit of conference reallignment) happened

En_Fuego
10/25/2012, 04:43 PM
I can smell ND is the flavor for this season.........................Let's spoil the meat !

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2012, 04:55 PM
If by media, you mean Lou Holtz, then YES.

But I think the fact they had an exclusive contract with NBC says it best.

En_Fuego
10/25/2012, 05:08 PM
If by media, you mean Lou Holtz, then YES.

But I think the fact they had an exclusive contract with NBC says it best.

Oh, I think it's the same "ole" Oklahoma hate that's been going on for decades............Lou Holtz is a pimple on the rest of the media's asssss'sss

JiminyChristmas
10/25/2012, 05:15 PM
Sooner Magic >>> Luck of the Irish

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2012, 05:33 PM
I've never detected the Oklahoma hate - I guess I'm just thick-skinned.

DCsooner22
10/25/2012, 05:35 PM
...for those that are too young to remember when ND was good, you have no idea what will happen if they beat us Saturday. You think the SEC love fest is bad, you've seen nothing until you witness an ND love fest.

Yup, this right here....

They've been irrelevant for so long, and it's been so peaceful around college football. Let's PLEASE help put them right back there...

BoomerJack
10/25/2012, 05:47 PM
I think they are but not as much as a few years ago. I just think some of the thrill is gone.

MamaMia
10/25/2012, 06:01 PM
The term "media darling" started in reference to Notre Dame years ago.

If by some horrible twist of fate we lose this game, you will be hard pressed to have the desire to watch any sports coverage. We HAVE to win this game. There are no ifs, ands or butts about it, otherwise the aftermath will be brutal torture.

cleller
10/25/2012, 06:24 PM
Its just sickening. Doesn't matter how good their team is, they get extensive coverage every year.

On ESPN College Football Live just now, Probably 3X as many clips of ND plays were shown compared to OU. The whole discussion was ways that ND could beat OU. OU's quick offense is going to tire our D and give ND an advantage...The ND D is going to manhandle our O-line...ND's run game is the best...ND is ranked #1 in D. ND has a bus with vibrating seats...ND invented the forward pass, and owns a copyright on football, allows other teams to play as long as no one gets more press time.

Widescreen
10/25/2012, 06:47 PM
They may be media darlings but that doesn't mean all media people are picking them to win. I was watching the CBS College Football show the other night and all 4 guys picked OU. Said our talent was going to be too much for ND and we are firing on all cylinders right now. Also, Jesse Palmer picked us. I'm sure there are others.

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2012, 06:50 PM
I watched the CBS College Football show - the one with Brian Jones, Ron Zook, Randy Cross and some guy that played at ND. Their pick was unanimous that OU would win - yes, including the ND alum. Almost all picks I've seen have been gone OU. Of course ESPN will have that fake feud between Holtz and May where May picks OU, but I don't count that one :)

Flagstaffsooner
10/25/2012, 07:02 PM
Its just sickening. Doesn't matter how good their team is, they get extensive coverage every year.

They get almost as much coverage as the Kardishans(sp) and Honey Boo Boo. The American people have gone to hell.

No wonder we have a $%& in the White House.

opksooner
10/25/2012, 08:07 PM
Are bears Catholic? Does the Pope $#@% in the woods?

Come on! Get serious.

MichiganSooner
10/25/2012, 08:12 PM
Notre Dame is not the media darling today although they were the original. ESPN has seen to it that Bama and the SEC are the media darlings along with USC. And the media has lots of respect for Oklahoma, believe it or not.

En_Fuego
10/26/2012, 03:16 PM
LISTEN YOUNG FOLKS

A WIN BY THE DOMMERS IS A HISTORICAL LOSS.....................(to all my critics)>....cOVER YER HEADS bOys...........Sompup fixin to happn"
Carry on !

MOTHER OF ALL FOOTBALL GODS LET THIS HAPPEN !

fadada1
10/26/2012, 03:28 PM

i will quit TV. imagine a tiger/yankee/lebron love-fest all wrapped up in one. the media is the reason i hate notre dame and tiger woods. 20+ years of notre dame sucking still hasn't stopped the crotch sniffing they get. nd winning will be the worst possible scenerio for everyone that is a fan of college football.

KantoSooner
10/26/2012, 04:24 PM
Young people, sample this article and consider: this is what the media is doing BEFORE the game is played. Imagine the unmitigated horror that will erupt in the event of a Notre Dame victory. The press will go from merely sniffing their jocks and proclaiming the aroma to rival Chanel No.5 to strewing rose petals before them whereever they go. This must not happen.

Notre Dame Delenda Est!

South Bend, Ind. (CNN) -- When you say "Notre Dame" and then throw in words such as mystique, storied and blessed, you create as many folks rolling their eyes as wiping away tears of joy.

This has been so throughout the 125 seasons of football for the Fighting Irish, especially when they are good.

Well, forget about placing "Notre Dame" and "good" in the same sentence for a moment. With overwhelming losses to supposedly inferior foes on a consistent basis and underwhelming coaches from Bob Davie to Tyrone Willingham to Charlie Weis, "Notre Dame" has been "mediocre" or less during the last two decades.

Now, with Brian Kelly in his third year of leading the Irish while having the fourth-most victories of any coach among the big boys of college football since 2006, "Notre Dame" is flirting with "greatness" at 7-0 despite a monster schedule and all those haters.

Oh, and lovers.

This gets a little confusing. After all, no team this side of the New York Yankees, Duke basketball and the Dallas Cowboys is more polarizing than the famous -- or is that the infamous? -- one that resides among the majestic oaks, maples and pines of Northern Indiana.

Notre Dame can further its return to prominence Saturday night, when it takes its No. 5 ranking in the Bowl Championship Series standings on the road to No. 8 Oklahoma. Not surprisingly, Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops is calling this the biggest game for his team in 12 years -- maybe ever -- because it's Notre Dame.

It will be televised nationally on ABC, and the ratings will be huge, partly because of the game's magnitude, but mostly because of the staggering number of Notre Dame haters and lovers.

I'll show you how this works, and I'll start with a confession: I was born and raised a few punts from the Notre Dame campus. Not only that, I was at the Irish's home game last week against Brigham Young during their attempt on a heavily overcast afternoon to remain undefeated this late in a season for the first time since 2002. They trailed BYU by four points deep into the third quarter, but then something happened -- first away from the playing field and then on it.

The sun burst through the clouds, and as I looked to my left inside the Notre Dame Stadium press box toward the nearby Hesburgh Library, I saw the brightest of sunlight touching the face of Jesus on the mosaic that is as high as half a football field.

The "Way of Life" mural, also known as "Touchdown Jesus" on Notre Dame's campus.They call the mosaic Touchdown Jesus around here.

Needless to say, Notre Dame's offense promptly roared to the end zone after that to take a lead the Irish would never relinquish. Then, after the Notre Dame Marching Band finished its eternal playing of the Victory March at the end, the Irish players gathered before the student section for one of Notre Dame's slew of traditions.

The others?

The pep rallies on the Friday night before every home game, with a crowd as high as 20,000 at times.

The public luncheon (average attendance of 1,500) that happens on the Friday afternoon before every home game.

The lighting of candles on campus at The Grotto for miracles ranging from game-winning field goals to huge interceptions.

The Midnight Drummer Circle, featuring those from the Notre Dame Marching band spending 45 minutes in front of the Golden Dome leading cadences and cheers.

But back to the BYU game, when Notre Dame players continued a post-game home tradition that happens whether they win or lose. After they reached the front of the student section, they joined those who remained from the sellout crowd of more than 80,000 to sing Notre Dame's alma mater called "Notre Dame, Our Mother."

Tears were everywhere.

You may roll your eyes now.

I haven't even mentioned that the whole Notre Dame Nation these days is inspired by Manti Te'o, the Irish's senior linebacker from Hawaii with a story built for Hollywood -- you know, like the one about George Gipp, otherwise known as The Gipper.

Ronald Reagan as George "The Gipper" Gipp in "Knute Rockne, All American"Gipp was the Notre Dame running back who played for legendary Notre Dame coach Knute Rockne from 1917 to 1920 before his death from a throat infection. Notre Dame's dynamic coach and player duo inspired the phrase "Win one for the Gipper," and they were immortalized in the 1940's movie "Knute Rockne, All American."

Somebody named Ronald Reagan played The Gipper. To hear political pundits tell it, that role contributed to his earning the right to spend two terms in the Oval Office.

You may roll your eyes again.

Either that, or you can wait to hear more about Te'o, the undisputed leader of Notre Dame's bone-crunching defense.

Before Notre Dame went to then-10th-ranked Michigan State in September, Te'o's grandmother and girlfriend died in Hawaii within six hours of each other. He played anyway. Along the way to a 20-3 victory, he had 12 tackles, broke up two passes and intercepted the first pass of his four-year Notre Dame career.

After the interception, Te'o pointed to the sky, with emotion -- the kind he sends through the rest of his teammates.

"There are a lot of leaders that think a quality of a leader is just to talk," Te'o told me after the BYU game. "I think the strongest leaders are those who not only verbally communicate but communicate by action."

Manti Te'o, No. 5, is a linebacker for the Fighting Irish.Exhibit A: With much help from Te'o, the Irish rank second in the nation by allowing opponents just an average of nine points per game. They also possess the only defense at the NCAA's highest level of football that hasn't allowed a rushing touchdown.

Te'o leads the team in tackles, ranks second in the nation in forcing turnovers (four interceptions, two fumble recoveries) and is among the handful of legitimate candidates for the Heisman Trophy, which is college football's top individual award.

He would join Michigan's Charles Woodson (1997) as the only person to win the Heisman Trophy as primarily a defensive player. He also would help Notre Dame break its tie with the University of Southern California for the school with the most Heisman Trophy winners (7). (Seven trophies also have gone to Ohio State, but two went to the same player.)

In addition, when it comes to The Associated Press and The USA Today/ESPN (formerly the United Press International) polls, Notre Dame has more consensus national championships than anybody (11).

Nobody has more consensus All-Americans than Notre Dame's 80, and the Irish lead everybody in first-round NFL draft picks with 63 and in overall No. 1 NFL draft picks with five.

Still, the haters would mention Notre Dame hasn't won a national championship since 1988. In contrast, the lovers would mention Te'o isn't alone as an Irish star these days.

Notre Dame has other splendid players, such as future NFL tight end Tyler Eifert, athletically gifted quarterback Everett Golson and the speedy 6-6 and 303 pounds of Stephon Tuitt at defensive end. With Kelly's expertise and the Gipper's guidance, they are on the verge of turning Notre Dame's glory days of the past into those of the present and the future.

You may roll your eyes some more.

You may return to vomitting now.

70sooner
10/26/2012, 04:36 PM
I can't stop rolling my eyes.....

En_Fuego
10/26/2012, 06:37 PM
KantoSooner is spot on...............We need someone to carry on the "Hope".

This is for real Boy's and Girl's>...............May we all not come out alive if we do not overcome this............."We must throw the ring in the feiry pit "...........May God have mercy on you all !

MyT Oklahoma
10/27/2012, 06:38 AM
The general concensus would appear to be yes.

delhalew
10/27/2012, 08:19 AM
The Gameday crew just pointed out that they stole our "play like a champion" sign. Didn't see that coming.