PDA

View Full Version : Trey Metoyer

Boomer.....
10/25/2012, 02:38 PM
What is going on with him? Through 6 games he has 13 receptions for 108 yards. I wouldn't normally be questioning the output from a freshman player, but with the hype coming into the season and news from practice saying that he was making unbelievable catches I have to wonder. He was even picked as the pre-season Big 12 player of the year.

Is he having a hard time with his routes? Does Landry just have more offensive options this year?

aj44mc
10/25/2012, 02:42 PM
I read somewhere his shoulder has been bothering him more than what is being lead to believe.

Widescreen
10/25/2012, 02:43 PM
He has struggled to be productive. I'm not sure why that is. I was hoping he'd have a Sammy Watkins type freshman year but obviously that isn't going to happen. Especially now that Saunders is playing and Stills has moved to the outside in place of Metoyer.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/25/2012, 02:44 PM
Stills, Brown and now Saunders (from his past experience at Fresno St.) has a lot more live game experience than him and it's common for even highly touted freshman to not have an immediate impact. And then you have those exceptions like Shepard who are ready to play immediately. Given that he was for all intents and purposes a year off from football until spring and fall drills started, I would wait until next season to pass judgement on his capability.

Could he end up being a bust? Sure he could. But he could also end up being Justin Blackmon in a sense that he wasn't even on the radar his freshman year but went absolutely bezerk his sophomore and junior years. They alll develop at differently and some never at all. Only time will tell.

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2012, 02:44 PM
Outside of Shepard, experience seems to be get the PT from Stills, Brown, and now Saunders.

StoopTroup
10/25/2012, 02:57 PM
Saunders has hurt him. He dropped a lot of passes and in the EZ seemed to not put his body in a position where he could reel in the passes LJ put out of reach from the defender but where he should be able to pull it in and get a foot down for a TD. I think he just needs some help with body mechanics and will be a great WR here unless he gets a case of ego.

starclassic tama
10/25/2012, 03:21 PM
not a damn thing is wrong with him. the media is ridiculous and foolish for hyping up a player so much that has yet to take a single college snap. metoyer is obviously superbly talented, and he will be a great receiver IN TIME. could even be by the end of this season. but to expect the guy to come right in and put up 1,200 yards and 14 TD's is completely asinine and one of the many reasons why i tend to hate sports media

Boomer.....
10/25/2012, 03:24 PM
not a damn thing is wrong with him. the media is ridiculous and foolish for hyping up a player so much that has yet to take a single college snap. metoyer is obviously superbly talented, and he will be a great receiver IN TIME. could even be by the end of this season. but to expect the guy to come right in and put up 1,200 yards and 14 TD's is completely asinine and one of the many reasons why i tend to hate sports media
I agree, but he was lighting it up in practice this summer. Coaches, players, etc. were all raving about him. That's why I'm puzzled.

Moore
10/25/2012, 03:27 PM
He is hurt bad

StoopTroup
10/25/2012, 03:27 PM
I agree, but he was lighting it up in practice this summer. Coaches, players, etc. were all raving about him. That's why I'm puzzled.

It's why he got a shot to play a lot until Saunders was released to play. I think we would still be seeing him out there if it wasn't for Jalen being back. Trey is going to need to up his game when he gets a shot out there on the field. He has the ability to get open....now he just needs to make those hands of his become the flypaper they are in practice it would seem to me.

8timechamps
10/25/2012, 03:43 PM
He is hurt bad

You're a moron.

There is nothing wrong with Trey, other than he's a freshman on a team loaded with talent. If Saunders hadn't been cleared, then I think he would have continued to see action. Now, he can continue to develop the way he should.

StoopTroup
10/25/2012, 03:47 PM
Trey should be out of the body cast soon....LMAO@Moore

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2012, 03:57 PM
Me thinks Moore is just a bot.

8timechamps
10/25/2012, 03:59 PM
Me thinks Moore is just a troll.

FIFY

cleller
10/25/2012, 04:31 PM
Stills mentioned him in the "practice report" in another thread. Seems like they are away that Metoyer had some high expectations piled on him, but he's not been so effective.
I'm sure its just a situation of other guys having more experience, and responding better. Brown and Saunders have been at the D-1 level awhile already. Shepard, on the other hand, wasn't singled out for greatness so much. Maybe the pressure was on Metoyer, and off Shepard.

Since Metoyer apparently really is talented, its just a matter of time till things come together.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/25/2012, 04:36 PM
The biggest issue i've seen with him is run blocking..They tried to run screens to his side several times where he just missed the block repeatedly..blocking for runningbacks has been ok but his missed blocks have hurt there as well..And that's a big deal with Norvell. kind of loses interest it seems if it's not a play that is potentially to him..which is pretty normal for a kid in his shoes.

The only reason why I bring that up is because the last drive before he disappeared for a while against KState, he missed 2 blocks in series that were pretty important.

JiminyChristmas
10/25/2012, 05:20 PM
It seems to me that he will be fine and have a great career at OU, just not this year. The emergence of Shepherd and eligibility clearance of Saunders solidifies the slot position. That moves Stills back outside opposite Brown. Just some really good players ahead of him right now.

VA Sooner
10/25/2012, 06:29 PM
Trey is very good.

We just happen to have some outstanding receivers now to fill the void that we somehow had in the summer and now I can't remember who those missing, suspended players were... :biggrin:

Seamus
10/25/2012, 06:35 PM
Me thinks Moore can count to potato.

PSK2080
10/25/2012, 09:10 PM
Malcolm Kelly didn't have a catch his freshman year until something like game 6 or game 7...and he ended up being the primary receiver with Iglesias and Manny Johnson both splitting catches with him (among others). Now, Kelly didn't have the hype that Metoyer has, but he was a highly touted 4 star receiver that got overshadowed by less touted guys early on, then really took off...maybe the same thing will happen with Metoyer.