PDA

View Full Version : Need game-day food ideas for watch party

8timechamps
10/24/2012, 08:34 PM
Living in Colorado, the only way I get to enjoy Sooner football among my Sooner brethren is if I go to an OU Club watch party. Those are always a blast, but as fun as they are, I never feel like I really get to watch the game (at least not the way I like to watch them). So, I've invited my office staff and their families to my house for the OU/ND game. This is the first time I've done anything like this, and am excited to introduce these folks to Sooner Football.

This is where I need some help. My girlfriend is amazing, but she does not know anything about cooking/entertaining. So, it's all on me. I'm expecting about 30-40 folks (including a half dozen kids or more), and I'm trying to think of things to prepare.

Here's what I have to work with:

A kitchen
A grill
A (pellet) smoker

I also have an outdoor fire-pit that can be used as a grill, if I need it. However, I'll be doing all of the food prep, so I don't want to have 20 things going at the same time. I'm thinking a brisket or two on the smoker, then burgers/hot-dogs/chicken on the grill.

I need some other idea's for food...so, what have you to offer?

rock on sooner
10/24/2012, 08:56 PM
Wings, cut the tips and then separate the drummies from the second piece.
Oven at 350, separate pans for drummies and second pieces. About an hour
then drain the juice and turn both another 40 minutes or so. Franks Hot Sauce
or Tabasco and melted butter (at least 4 tbsps butter and a quarter cup of sauce)
Use a pastry brush and coat the wings both sides and another 20 minutes or so.
Here it is guess work...how done you want the second pieces and how done you
want the drummies. All of the above is for about 8-9 pounds of wings. For the
size of your group, should probably double to 18-20 pounds of wings. Somewhere
less than that if you're having brisket, potato salad etc. Folks will munch on wings
the whole game before and after, no matter what you have. Once the wings are
going you can work on everything else. Fresh veggies like celery, green onions,
radishes, baby carrots with dip works, too.

Have done this for Super Bowl, Sooner games, etc. Has always worked, good luck
and Boomer Sooner!

Turd_Ferguson
10/24/2012, 09:11 PM
I'm doing the same but only a third of what you have coming. We're doing hot dogs, chicken wings, little smokies in Hogs Head sauce and also wrapped in a biscuit. Rotel cheese dip with sausage in it, bacon wrapped and cheese stuffed jalapeņos, spinach and artichoke dip with celery sticks. I thought about getting some ground turkey and making a few sliders. If I could figure out how to make those potato wedges like you can get at the quick mart, I'd do that as well but I haven't mastered that...yet. Also, I'll have an *** load of beer. :biggrin:

Breadburner
10/24/2012, 09:12 PM
Little smokies...Queso.....

Turd_Ferguson
10/24/2012, 09:14 PM

Werd.

8timechamps
10/24/2012, 10:10 PM

I don't know how I could have forgotten lil' smokies! I'm making a Sams trip Friday, so it's on the list.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2012, 10:21 PM

I just pooped after reading little smokies.

Turd_Ferguson
10/24/2012, 10:29 PM

I never seen't no giant smokie...

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2012, 10:31 PM
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMN!

Turd_Ferguson
10/24/2012, 10:35 PM
BREAK YOSELF FOOL!!!!!

MamaMia
10/24/2012, 10:48 PM
This is something your girlfriend can help with and have fun doing...

Make cheese, cracker and sausage/meat stick platters. Let people build their own saucers with various crackers and cocktail breads.

Have a good selection of cheeses and different types of beef and meat sticks and link sausages cut into rounds and wedges. Make sure you have some Brie and Camembret wedges along with some sliced cheeses. Put some cherry and fig cheese toppings on top of the Brie and Camembret and have a bowl of jalepeno preserves on the side.

Maybe some humus and pita or Tandori bread cut in wedges.

Offer some different types of fruits and veggies...avocado, carrots, celery, cauliflower, cucumber slices, red, green and black grapes, apple and pineapple wedges. Brush the apples and avocado with lemon juice to prevent browning.

Fill some celery with plain and flavored cream cheeses as well. Sprinkle the plain cream cheese ones with smokey and/or sweet paprikas.

Don't forget miniature pickles, pickle slices...and maybe some candied jalapenos.

They have a great selection of ALL of that at Whole Foods if you have one. You can some of these things at Sams as well. If there is a specialty shop that sells beef and other types of jerky, they usually have a great selection of link sausages and beef and other meat sticks as well. I have a place like that in the city where I can also get poultry and buffalo. :D

Its beautiful. Its inexpensive. Its fun for the grownups and the kiddos. Its also healthy and its so easy.

[edit] for easy print-out. :)

Turd_Ferguson
10/25/2012, 01:36 AM
You said meatstick

MamaMia
10/25/2012, 03:38 AM
You said meatstick
:hopelessness:

SoonerInFortSmith
10/25/2012, 08:10 AM
Cut jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise. Remove seeds. Fill each half with cream cheese and wrap with bacon. Grill. Enjoy.

FirstandGoal
10/25/2012, 08:20 AM
Mama gave some great ideas (thanks Mama, I'm going to do a couple of those!)

I am also in charge of food for the watch party that we're gonna have and I've decided on Mexican. I've got a new enchilada recipe I'm going to try and I'm also making up a crock pot full of queso, some homemade guac, salsa, chips, and a crock pot of lil' smokies. Oh yeah, and I'm making a pan of brownies.

KantoSooner
10/25/2012, 08:55 AM
Since you probably won't know, a) how many exactly will show up, b) how long they'll stay and, c) how hungry everyone will be, you'll need to be prepared in case the locusts devour the first three lines of defense and you are in danger of running out of food.
I like to keep three 'coils' or so of Italian sausage in the fridge just in case. If you don't use it, it freezes like a champ and will keep for a year. If you need it, fling it on the grill, it takes almost no attention to get it right. Then cut it into 1/2" slices, put it in a bowl and let people dip into bbq sauce or sweet honey mustard.
Not extremely fancy, but it's not expensive, everyone likes it (except vegetarians, and really....well, that's a different topic) and it's quick and easy.

badger
10/25/2012, 10:22 AM
Make some Irish cookies and then make some little voice bubble cookies to go with them. have the irish cookies say things like "1-8, Sooners!" and "WE play like a CHAMPION today, not yOU!" or some other things that make people want to bit their little cookie heads off :D

We have done Packer opponent cookies to great success in the past!

SoonerAtKU
10/25/2012, 10:30 AM
You didn't mention a slow cooker, but if you have access to one, I can give you an Italian Beef recipe that does a pretty good job and makes a ton of food. You can put it on little slider buns or french rolls.

Turd_Ferguson
10/25/2012, 10:40 AM
You didn't mention a slow cooker, but if you have access to one, I can give you an Italian Beef recipe that does a pretty good job and makes a ton of food. You can put it on little slider buns or french rolls.

I'm interested in that recipe please.

hawaii 5-0
10/25/2012, 10:49 AM
Spam Musubi and a Coke.

5-0

KantoSooner
10/25/2012, 11:28 AM
About 10 million bonus points for spam musubi vote. Truly the food of the gods. Right up there with furikaki rice balls.

(of course neither one lives in the same time zone as Ono Burgers. And that is NOT debateable.)

SoonerAtKU
10/25/2012, 01:06 PM
I'm interested in that recipe please.

3-4 Lb. chuck roast
medium yellow onion
jar of sliced pepperoncini peppers and about 1/2 cup of the brine
2/3 of a beer
Italian seasoning (either make your own blend or use a packet of the zesty italian salad dressing mix)
beef boullion

Slice the onion and line the bottom of your slow cooker.
Roast goes on top
Use peppers to taste (I like it relatively heavy on these)
Italian seasoning over the whole thing
Salt if you didn't have any in your seasoning mix
Add beer, brine, and boullion with water to nearly halfway up the roast

Cook on low for about 8 hours. Beef should brown on top and the sauce should thicken some.
Pull the beef out, shred and remove any remaining fat or connective tissue you can, then return to the sauce.
Serve on toasted split french rolls with mayo and provolone cheese.

If you're doing this for a party, I would try to serve with less sauce, because it can get messy quickly.

olevetonahill
10/25/2012, 01:28 PM
3-4 Lb. chuck roast
medium yellow onion
2/3 of a beer
Italian seasoning (either make your own blend or use a packet of the zesty italian salad dressing mix)
beef boullion

Roast goes on top

Cook on low for about 8 hours. Beef should brown on top and the sauce should thicken some.
Pull the beef out, shred and remove any remaining fat or connective tissue you can, then return to the sauce.

If you're doing this for a party, I would try to serve with less sauce, because it can get messy quickly.

May try that with a Deer roast

SoonerAtKU
10/25/2012, 01:47 PM
That sounds delicious.

olevetonahill
10/25/2012, 01:51 PM
That sounds delicious.

I wont Kill em But if a Friend gives me 1/4 Ima cut it up and freeze it n eat it as I want

8timechamps
10/25/2012, 02:26 PM
3-4 Lb. chuck roast
medium yellow onion
2/3 of a beer
beef boullion

Roast goes on top

Nice! This is definitely going on the menu.

MamaMia
10/26/2012, 01:09 AM
May try that with a Deer roast
Thats a great idea! I am always looking for slow cooker venison recipes. This sounds like one that would make a real tender roast.

Garlic oven baked fries would be perfect with that recipe. Thanks SoonerATKU

KantoSooner
10/26/2012, 03:16 PM
Oh, one more: get a few french loaves, slice in half lengthwise, olive oil each half then thickly pack with minced garlic, parsley and parmesan cheese. Wrap 'em in foil and keep cycling them through the oven. one load per 4-5 people.

Fraggle145
10/26/2012, 03:32 PM

http://www.soonerfans.com/images/reputation/reputation_pos.png

stoops the eternal pimp
10/26/2012, 03:55 PM
boner

rock on sooner
10/26/2012, 03:57 PM
3-4 Lb. chuck roast
medium yellow onion
2/3 of a beer
beef boullion

Roast goes on top

Can you use pickled jalapenos instead of the pepperoncini? I grow
and pickle my own jalapenos, just curious....great sounding recipe!

SoonerLaw09
10/26/2012, 04:02 PM
3-4 Lb. chuck roast
medium yellow onion
2/3 of a beer
beef boullion

Roast goes on top

I am so going to make this sometime real soon. Sounds awesome and just the kind of thing my kid likes.

SoonerLaw09
10/26/2012, 04:05 PM
About 10 million bonus points for spam musubi vote. Truly the food of the gods. Right up there with furikaki rice balls.

(of course neither one lives in the same time zone as Ono Burgers. And that is NOT debateable.)

I just looked up spam musubi. Looks perfectly awful. YECHH!

8timechamps
10/26/2012, 07:59 PM
I just looked up spam musubi. Looks perfectly awful. YECHH!

You have to remember:

Spam + Hawaiians = teh awesome!

They love them some Spam.

8timechamps
10/26/2012, 08:01 PM
After dropping a small car payment at Sams, I think I have everything I need. Gonna fire up the smoker early, catch Gameday, then hit the grill an hour or so before kick-off. Beer's in the cooler (along with a crap load of soda)...I think I'm ready for this.

I look forward to topping the day off with a Sooner victory.

Thank you to everyone for your input! If you folks were here, I'd have you all over. (STEP could even use the bathroom in my basement mancave...I think the walls are reinforced).