PDA

View Full Version : Pres Boren asks fans to be nice.

mikee likee
10/24/2012, 03:46 PM
http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-open-letter-from-ou-president-david-boren-sooner-fans-urged-to-be-hospitable-20121024,0,7346364.story

Not needed in my opinion. Now people will think we are are all a$$holes to people.

SoonerLaw09
10/24/2012, 03:49 PM
I have no idea what he is smoking. We are always nice. We feel that it's only appropriate to provide food, drink, and entertainment to those whose butts are about to be kicked repeatedly on national teevee. :D

Wishboned
10/24/2012, 03:57 PM
Dear Sun,

Tomorrow is a new day which will bring many opportunities for a great number of people.

Please rise in the east in the morning.

olevetonahill
10/24/2012, 04:01 PM
http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-open-letter-from-ou-president-david-boren-sooner-fans-urged-to-be-hospitable-20121024,0,7346364.story

Not needed in my opinion. Now people will think we are are all a$$holes to people.

I have no idea what he is smoking. We are always nice. We feel that it's only appropriate to provide food, drink, and entertainment to those whose butts are about to be kicked repeatedly on national teevee. :D

Kinda MY thots, Thats an insult IMHO

BoulderSooner79
10/24/2012, 04:01 PM
Folks most likely to need that advice are the least likely to heed it.

LASooner
10/24/2012, 04:03 PM
Wow.. looks like we get to take the plastic off the couch for this guest.

sooneredaco
10/24/2012, 04:08 PM
I say phuck the domers

badger
10/24/2012, 04:27 PM
The catcaller during the pregame moment of silence was from the Florida State section of the crowd.

The last time the fans rushed the field... it was Poke fans, in 2001.

Seriously, if you're gonna beg a fan base to be orderly, beg the OTHER fanbase!

MyT Oklahoma
10/24/2012, 06:33 PM
I've been around other Sooner fans for years in Norman, in Dallas, and in other locations from around the good old Big 8 and very rarely have I ever been embarassed by OUr behavior.

P.S. Where the heck has President Boren been all of his life?

SunnySooner
10/24/2012, 06:47 PM
Ask Florida State, Air Force, Alabama, etc. fans about how they were treated in Norman, they'll all tell you the same dang thing...like ROYALTY!!! We love opposing team fans at OU, we appreciate the trip they've made, the money they're spending, and most of all, their loyalty and love for their teams because that's somewhere we have a lot of common ground. This is a big game, emotions will run high, there's a history: all of that is true, but it doesn't change the fact that OU fans are among the best in the country, and if you come to Norman to watch your team, you may not leave with a victory (;D), but you'll drink a lot of free beer. For a seasoned politician such as OUr Pres, this was just dumb.

Keller Sooner
10/24/2012, 07:09 PM
I was taught at a very early age to be nice to other people. BY MY PARENTS!

8timechamps
10/24/2012, 07:10 PM
Boren would be better served asking fans to be loud every game, and not just the big ones.

OU fans are smart football fans, and they also respect programs like Bama, ND, etc. (not that we disrespect other teams or their fans, just that we know history). If anything, we'll be too nice to the ND fans. If that's even possible.

oudivesherpa
10/24/2012, 07:12 PM
I have been to many college football games all across the country and the one common theme, championship teams treat their guest well, and provide hospitality to opposing teams. Teams that aren't used to winning treat their guests poorly. OU has a tradition of winning and like all winners they treat their guests with great hospitality.

Disclaimer: The above endorsement does NOT apply to LSU fans!

SoonerStormchaser
10/24/2012, 07:21 PM
I'll be nice to Boren when he stops raising tuition to the max percentage every freaking year!

StoopTroup
10/24/2012, 07:33 PM
Maybe David needs to get his head out of that Bible he reads like a TV Guide and just quit making more and more rules that stress people out when someone who isn't Campus Police or even paid Security tells you you shouldn't be smoking or drinking or when you go into the stadium you are nearly given a body cavity search and then the no pass out check and breaking the old tradition of having a few beers at half.

I think he's done a lot of great things for the University but it seems like he's tried to make the time Fans spend at the games a bit sterile for my taste.

Be nice?

What else is there to do anyway?

I'm a bit insulted by him even asking.

GDC
10/24/2012, 07:39 PM
Boren is a condescending old turd.

fadada1
10/24/2012, 08:46 PM
it'll be just like going to stillwater for a game... or boulder... or baton rouge... or manhattan...

pweitkem
10/24/2012, 09:24 PM
All any FSU fan had to say last year in Tally was how nice all of the OU fans were to them when they visited. No need to tell the Sooner fans to be good ambassadors.

Soonerjeepman
10/24/2012, 09:40 PM
exactly..EVERY game I've ever been to in Norman I haven't seen 1 incident of OU fans really giving the opposition's fans crap...EVER...

but after being at ksu (not too bad) mu (horrible) ku (good) isu (good) nu (so so) osu (so'so) OU is much better.

think I'm going to email him..anyone else?

soonerboy_odanorth
10/24/2012, 10:02 PM
exactly..EVERY game I've ever been to in Norman I haven't seen 1 incident of OU fans really giving the opposition's fans crap...EVER...

but after being at ksu (not too bad) mu (horrible) ku (good) isu (good) nu (so so) osu (so'so) OU is much better.

think I'm going to email him..anyone else?

I already did earlier today. No response yet. His letter really pissed me off. You know, I think the thing that gets under his skin (and I included this in my note) is the booing that is done to the opposing team as then enter the field. Well he doesn't need to send a note to us 'fans', he needs to send a note to HIS students. They are the worst offenders, and it isn't even close.

StoopTroup
10/24/2012, 10:13 PM
All any FSU fan had to say last year in Tally was how nice all of the OU fans were to them when they visited. No need to tell the Sooner fans to be good ambassadors.

Exactly. If there was an incident at one of the games this year...I could see Boren giving a little reminder. As far as I know...Everyone that has been to our Stadium this year hasn't complained on this Board. Usually if there is an incident, you hear about it here.

You would definitely hear about it in the DOK or Tulsa World as they seem to have someone on Staff for anything negative that pops up.

nighttrain12
10/24/2012, 11:40 PM
Dear President Boren,

.... and the home of the SOONERS!!!!

mhackl
10/25/2012, 12:12 AM
Unnecessary. We've always established good reputations with visiting fans.

Chuck Bao
10/25/2012, 01:01 AM
I liked David Boren's letter, especially the bit about “Championship Hospitality.” After all, fans of a winning program, like OU, can afford to be quite magnanimous. There is no need to get pissed off about it. It is a tradition worth continuing and reminding fans occasionally when others are doing it all wrong. I have been a guest in Norman several times when I don the green and gold of my beloved Baylor. Each time, I have been shown that Championship Hospitality. Thanks for that.

10/25/2012, 01:15 AM
We rate "meh" in hospitality. Our fans are neither cordial or hostile. I'm glad we don't throw stuff.

badger
10/25/2012, 08:53 AM
I'll be nice to Boren when he stops raising tuition to the max percentage every freaking year!

I've spoken my disdain for this in the past - frequently - but the fact of the matter is that he's doing (or rather, asking the OU Regents to do and they never disapprove) what every other college is doing in the country: raising tuition.

I have also misplaced my disdain at other sources, like football assistant salaries, when unlike other sports at OU or other football programs around the country, at least they're making money and subsidizing the other sports and the university with that extra money.

basel90
10/25/2012, 04:13 PM
Boren is getting to be annoying and has not done anything since he got out of the way from the bob stoops's hiring. Am an ou grad and don't see any big accomplishments for this man. He loves attention.

badger
10/25/2012, 04:19 PM
Boren is getting to be annoying and has not done anything since he got out of the way from the bob stoops's hiring. Am an ou grad and don't see any big accomplishments for this man. He loves attention.

The biggest things he's done, IMHO, is getting new buildings on campus during this time when donors are ready to cough up their millions in return for a piece of OU football success (I'm sure that the building names are all in cushy east stadium luxury boxes, hehe). His government connections may have also triggered some government investments (the National Weather Center by LNC?).

Here's a few things off hands I can think of that have happened since David Boring took presidency:
- Expansion of the physics building
- Renovation of the Arts and Sciences admin building
- The overdue overhaul of the ugly architecture building
- A big arse engineering wing
- A new journalism building (goodbye, South Oval parking lot)
- Hello, near-South Oval parking GARAGE
- A new wing on the business college building
- That student computer center near the business college building (next to the McCasland Fieldhouse)

And I'm sure there's more. Boren knows he's got a goldmine on his hands when the football team is winning and an energized alumni base is a donating alumni base.

basel90
10/26/2012, 03:05 AM
[QUOTE=badger;3535879]The biggest things he's done, IMHO, is getting new buildings on campus during this time when donors are ready to cough up their millions in return for a piece of OU football success (I'm sure that the building names are all in cushy east stadium luxury boxes, hehe). His government connections may have also triggered some government investments (the National Weather Center by LNC?).

I know what you're trying to say , but look at the list you have made, it is all some sort of construction etc. ,with donor money etc.

Badger, i know what you mean , but....
Most college presidents do this as business as usual..
What I was looking for is clear advancements and national accomplishments and academic ranking. We are pretty much at the same ranking. Even in the international and government programs,which is where he was supposed to add accomplishments due to his senate years, and bring government forums , debates, etc,, he has not delivered.

Flagstaffsooner
10/26/2012, 07:56 AM
Dear Prez Boren,

My sister-in-law is a big nd fan and we have been fighting for years. I am not about to be nice to her this weekend just because you said to.

MojoRisen
10/26/2012, 07:59 AM
it'll be just like going to stillwater for a game... or boulder... or baton rouge... or manhattan...

I hope we bring our roman fans to West Virginia - good chance we will have to fight our way home after victory and dodge burning beds... I wouldnt be surprised if people were throwing each other off the back of the stadium... Seriously

olevetonahill
10/26/2012, 08:18 AM
Dear Prez Boren,

My sister-in-law is a big nd fan and we have been fighting for years. I am not about to be nice to her this weekend just because you said to.

Liar, Ya gave her yer Ticket :tongue:

Flagstaffsooner
10/26/2012, 08:20 AM
Liar, Ya gave her yer Ticket :tongue:
So she would have to sit amongst rabid OU fans.:succ:

olevetonahill
10/26/2012, 08:23 AM
So she would have to sit amongst rabid OU fans.:succ:

My Bad
Yer an EVILE genius

Flagstaffsooner
10/26/2012, 08:35 AM
One of us will be calling after the game and I hope it will be me. And f-ck you Boren, I have some things to say to that woman.

olevetonahill
10/26/2012, 08:37 AM
One of us will be calling after the game and I hope it will be me. And f-ck you Boren, I have some things to say to that woman.

:monkey:

MojoRisen
10/26/2012, 09:14 AM
If we kill all the angry chimps after victory - Charlie will know where we are :)