PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame week practice notes

8timechamps
10/23/2012, 07:17 PM
Thought I would pass along some notes from practice:

* FB Trey Millard said he's looking forward to locking helmets that first time with Notre Dame LB Manti Te'o. "This game is going to be a 15-round prizefight... But you definitely want to win that first round."

* The consensus among the Sooners is that this will be the best defensive front they have faced this season, though that probably goes without saying. "Pretty special group," said OL coach James Patton, before reeling off several Irish jersey numbers. "The biggest, the strongest line we've seen," said LT Lane Johnson. "Going to test our running ability. But it's a challenge we're ready for." Obviously whether the Sooners can run the ball will be a huge key in this game.

* Patton praised the resiliency of his offensive line, which is playing the best football for an OU line since 2008. "They want to fight," Patton said. Even though the Sooners are short on numbers up front, that didn't deter them from going full go on Tuesday. "They know they need to get ready," Patton said.

* Former OU great Brian Bosworth was at Tuesday's practice. Kenny Stills referred to him as "Mr. Bosworth."

* Beginning to hear rumblings about who that guest picker will be on GameDay. Don't think it will be a huge surprise, or someone outside the box.

***Interior offensive line coach James Patton said it’s not difficult trying to manage getting the Sooners offensive front ready for a physical team like Notre Dame and making sure Gabe Ikard, Bronson Irwin and Adam Shead remain healthy along an offensive line ravaged by injuries.

“We’ll practice the way we practice, we just went good-on-good and got after each other,” he said. “Our guys know what’s at stake.”

It’s critical for the Sooners to keep the rest of their interior line healthy after losing Ben Habern, Tyler Evans and Nila Kasitati from one of the deepest groups on the roster in July.

***Kenny Stills has taken a leadership role among the Sooners receivers and he’s taken it upon himself to make sure Trey Metoyer remains engaged as his role has diminished.

“He understands what is going on, his spirits haven’t gone down at all,” Stills said. “He knows he’s young. He has a long way to go and a lot to learn but he’s still very focused at practice and trying to do everything he can to get back on the field.”
After starting OU's first five games, Metoyer saw limited action against Kansas as Stills moved to the outside and Jalen Saunders played in the slot.

***Stills feels good about his move to outside receiver when Jalen Saunders is in the slot. His 44-yard touchdown reception against Kansas was shades of his first two seasons in Norman.

“I feel pretty comfortable everywhere now,” Stills said. “I love being outside, I felt like I was a outside receiver but I learned to get comfortable inside real quick because I had to.”
OU can take better advantage of Stills' skills when he's on the outside as more one-on-one situations present themselves on the perimeter. Saunders' playmaking ability and experience have made the coaches more comfortable moving Stills outside and gets what they feel is their best skill players on the field.

StoopTroup
10/23/2012, 07:30 PM
I like hearing they are going for the first round. They seem to feel every team out and don't get rolling until late in the 1st qtr or even later a couple of times. 21 points in the 1st qtr against the gnomes wOUld be awesome!

colleyvillesooner
10/23/2012, 07:40 PM
So guest picker? Switzer, Superman, Billy?

StoopTroup
10/23/2012, 07:42 PM
Not Switzer....he says we suck. :D ;)

VA Sooner
10/23/2012, 07:43 PM
I'm liking that practice report. Sounds like the guys are really getting after their preparation for this game.

BoulderSooner79
10/23/2012, 08:03 PM

Marcus Depree

stoops the eternal pimp
10/23/2012, 08:26 PM
So the team wants it?

FirstandGoal
10/23/2012, 08:28 PM
Hmmm, wonder what the Boz had to say to them?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/23/2012, 08:28 PM
"You got to want it boys."

swardboy
10/23/2012, 09:00 PM
Boz wore a t-shirt saying "National Catholics Against Athletics"

FirstandGoal
10/23/2012, 09:05 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KmlKhK48j3s/UCOUGamFGqI/AAAAAAAAOhc/b8RKoYEDILk/s400/brian%2Bbosworth.jpg

8timechamps
10/23/2012, 09:39 PM
So the team wants it?

Hard to tell. Maybe later in the week. Right now, they're too busy celebrating their KU victory. Sometime around Thursday, they'll spend a little time wanting it.

MamaMia
10/23/2012, 09:42 PM
Not Switzer....he says we suck. :D ;)He did NOT say that we suck, but what he did say worked, didn't it?

AzianSooner
10/23/2012, 09:49 PM
To hide our practice and game plan away from ND, I strongly suggest our players, coaches, staff, players' class mate and all of their significant others not to go confession this week.

Just be sinfull one more week. Things will be normal again by next Sunday.

AlboSooner
10/23/2012, 10:02 PM
The team seems focused. I like what I'm hearing.

StoopTroup
10/23/2012, 10:07 PM
He did NOT say that we suck, but what he did say worked, didn't it?

Yeah. Bob went right out and got us some talent. LOL

OUTrumpet
10/24/2012, 06:11 AM

My guess is Toby Keith or J.R. They are at every game on the sidelines anyway.

olevetonahill
10/24/2012, 07:10 AM
Hmmm, wonder what the Boz had to say to them?

He looked em in the eye and said
"Green and Gold , Make me Puke"

8timechamps
10/25/2012, 02:11 PM
From yesterday:

* Stoops agreed this game will help some in recruiting. "But we're in a lot of these games. If you come here, you're going to play in these games."

* Stoops was asked why Gabe Ikard and Jamarkus McFarland met with president David Boren on their recruiting trips. Stoops said it was because they were such good students.

* On whether the crowd will show up like Texas Tech '08: "We'll see."

* Stoops said he hadn't read Mack Brown's comments on the Longhorn Network giving Texas a competitive disadvantage, but Stoops said he hadn't "watched 30 seconds" of the channel. "No one in my building has watched it either. We didn't find a need to watch it" before the Texas game.

* The OU channel has actually reduced Stoops' media workload. His coaches show takes 15 minutes less time now.

* Stoops said he's had a ton of ticket requests the last 4 months for this game. How he decides whether to give them out? "If you haven't been here before this, you're not coming now. Doesn't take me five seconds to say, no."

* He said this is the most anticipated game since Nebraska '00 "just because that is the overall feeling of everybody."

* On whether they'll be able to score the first rushing TD against the Irish: "It'll be a challenge. We're sure gonna try."

* On Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert: "Great player. Fabulous player. You try your best to double cover him."

* On who would be blocking Manti Te'o: "Whoever draws the unlucky straw."

* On Bosworth stopping by: "Whenever I see a special player (come to practice), I make sure to introduce him to the team."

* He said OU has been physical all season. Said K-State, too. Difference in that game was the "critical mistakes."

Mazeppa
10/25/2012, 02:20 PM
* Stoops said he's had a ton of ticket requests the last 4 months for this game. How he decides whether to give them out? "If you haven't been here before this, you're not coming now. Doesn't take me five seconds to say, no."

Pure gold and Pure Stoops.

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2012, 02:24 PM
I still want to know why the team didn't show up for the KSU game. Is there a number I can call?

8timechamps
10/25/2012, 02:31 PM
I still want to know why the team didn't show up for the KSU game. Is there a number I can call?

Maybe a website that offers info?

DarrellZero
10/25/2012, 02:46 PM
* Stoops said he hadn't read Mack Brown's comments on the Longhorn Network giving Texas a competitive disadvantage, but Stoops said he hadn't "watched 30 seconds" of the channel. "No one in my building has watched it either. We didn't find a need to watch it" before the Texas game.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Cartoon-Character-Mutley-Laughing.gif