PDA

View Full Version : Most Likely Scenario where OU wins the Big XII

BermudaSooner
10/22/2012, 10:49 AM
So obviously KSU needs to lose and OU does not control our own destiny. Given the likelihood of KSU losing 2 of the following games: (Tech, OSU, TCU, Baylor, Texas), the other scenario is a 3 way tie. I thought that would be with WVU, but when they lost to Tech, that screwed that up. But now, if Tech were to beat KSU this weekend, we would then need Tech to win out to have a 3 way tie. In the event of a 3 way tie, following are the criteria:

Tiebreaker Procedures
Courtesy: Big12Sports.com
Release: 07/31/2008
Effective June 2011

The following procedure will determine the Big 12 Conference representative to the Bowl Championship Series in the event of a first-place tie:
If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.

If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 4 will be followed until a determination is made. Once a team has been eliminated from a multi-team comparison, it is dropped from further comparisons. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.

1. The records of the three teams will be compared against each other
2. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in the conference
3. The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series Poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative, unless the two highest ranked tied teams are ranked within one spot of the other in the BCS poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two highest ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Bowl Championship Series.
4. The representative will be chosen by draw.

So if there was a 3 way tie, OU would have to be 2 spots ahead of KSU in the BCS--otherwise KSU still goes.

Now the really interesting scenario is OU finishes #2 in the BCS and KSU finishes #3. KSU would be the representative for the BCS---but I'm guessing this means they get the Fiesta bowl---which is just fine because OU would be going to Miami for all of the marbles....I think. Not exactly sure what "representative in the BCS" means unless it just means who goes to the Fiesta.

Widescreen
10/22/2012, 10:58 AM
I don't care about the Fiesta Bowl. If we win out, we go to some BCS bowl regardless of what KSU does. If KSU loses a game, we share the Big 12 championship. I don't like sharing but it's better than nothing. I doubt KSU loses 2 but we'll still share the Big 12 championship if they only lose one.

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2012, 11:03 AM
Conference championships are great, but it could well turnout that the 2nd prize of a trip to the sugar bowl against an SEC team would be more fun. Lot of football to play for all teams to be counting all these unhatched chickens.

MI Sooner
10/22/2012, 11:31 AM
So if there was a 3 way tie, OU would have to be 2 spots ahead of KSU in the BCS--otherwise KSU still goes.

Or have TTU be one spot ahead of OU, and KSU behind OU. I can't see that happening, but we'd go based on the H2H vs Tech if we're one spot behind them and KSU is 3rd.

SoonerAtKU
10/22/2012, 11:40 AM
If tech were able to somehow put up a big number on K-State this weekend, that would change everything. Of course, last weekend we were all hoping for WVU to do the same.

yermom
10/22/2012, 11:50 AM
Now the really interesting scenario is OU finishes #2 in the BCS and KSU finishes #3. KSU would be the representative for the BCS---but I'm guessing this means they get the Fiesta bowl---which is just fine because OU would be going to Miami for all of the marbles....I think. Not exactly sure what "representative in the BCS" means unless it just means who goes to the Fiesta.

the tie-breaker is only for the AQ bid that is guaranteed to the Big 12 champ

the other team isn't guaranteed be be picked at-large, but could be, but it's not based on being co-champs, unless they were #2, but that's another case

goingoneight
10/22/2012, 11:55 AM
So, has anybody pondered the idea that if KSU wins out, Snyder could win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP at KANSAS FREAKIN STATE? I want OU in Miami as much as anybody... but that is wild. Talk about a joke 30 years ago. Granted, odds are extremely against it for now...
That'd be hilarious if after all these years of SEC dominance that Grampa Snyder took 'em down. :D

That said, the only way we're staying alive is by winning and praying they don't.

sooneron
10/22/2012, 11:57 AM
That'd be hilarious if after all these years of SEC dominance that Grampa Snyder took 'em down. :D

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100702150415/simpsons/images/6/6a/Mr_Burns_evil.gif

badger
10/22/2012, 12:12 PM
That'd be hilarious if after all these years of SEC dominance that Grampa Snyder took 'em down.
Let's both take SEC down - Old Man Snyder and his adopted son Stoops both.

I would totally cede the Big 12 to KSU for this one year if Gwamppy Bill would embarrass whatever SEC team they send to the title game (preferably Florida) and just win out to make a BCS bowl against one of their teams (Bammer, Florida, LSU... we have a lot revenge list to handle this season, don't we?).

I can't be bitter if KSU goes to the title game. We laid an egg against them AT HOME and they deserve it more than we do for that sole reason. Go get em, KSU Mask. EMAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2012, 12:28 PM
If tech were able to somehow put up a big number on K-State this weekend, that would change everything. Of course, last weekend we were all hoping for WVU to do the same.

WVU was just hoping as they had already been exposed as a sham. TTech is a much better team, but I don't think they are good enough to win, let alone put up big numbers.

Soonerjeepman
10/22/2012, 01:31 PM
I'd rather ksu win than any other team besides OU...went there for 2 yrs, have lots of friends that are ksu grads. It would be good...he's done and incredible job there, TWICE.