PDA

View Full Version : More Longhorn Amusement

Scott D
10/21/2012, 08:05 PM
So word has been going around that the original plan down there in Austin when they did the whole HC in Waiting deal, that by 2011 or 2012 Will Muschamp was supposed to be the new HC, and ole Mack was supposed to have replaced DeLoss Dodds as the AD. Gotta suck for them that Dodds decided making the LHN was more important than potentially having a real good football team. So I guess in honor of this information, I'm almost willing to consider looking at a commercial telling me I want the LHN. :D

badger
10/21/2012, 08:48 PM
A few years ago it was also said in the media rumor file that it was Bob Stoops himself that recommended Will Muschamp to Florida for their vacant HC position... you know, since the only part of UT that didn abysmally suck at that point was their defense.

With Will out of UT, and Greg Davis previously forced out, Mack really has nobody left, does he?

With Mush Camp as far away from the Big 12 as possible and Mack left to fend for himself, we were free to score 50-60 in Muschamp's absence in the past two RRS.

:mack: Hook em

PS: NP is sick of Cox Cable, so we are getting LHN starting tomorrow, via ATT Uverse. Perhaps they're still showing reruns of the RRS? :D

OUmillenium
10/21/2012, 10:05 PM
COX DVR technology needs a serious upgrade

Sooner70
10/21/2012, 10:26 PM
According to Randy Harvey, Houston Chronicle Sports Writer, Scott D has it about right. His conjecture is that Mack is/was obsessed about going out on top. The plan was set for the Alabama-TX NC game, and if Texas had won, Will woulda been HC at Texas & Mack would've moved to another role....if not AD, then some type Asst till Dodds retired. McCoy's injury & the Texas loss set all that back. Will got tired of waiting, and Mack is still seeking that one more crystal football. And so it goes.

Cantstandya
10/21/2012, 10:34 PM
So word has been going around that the original plan down there in Austin when they did the whole HC in Waiting deal, that by 2011 or 2012 Will Muschamp was supposed to be the new HC, and ole Mack was supposed to have replaced DeLoss Dodds as the AD. Gotta suck for them that Dodds decided making the LHN was more important than potentially having a real good football team. So I guess in honor of this information, I'm almost willing to consider looking at a commercial telling me I want the LHN. :D

It sure was fun watching several
replays of the game last week thanks to the LHN!

goingoneight
10/21/2012, 10:49 PM
See, the problem is Garrett Gilbert and Case McCoy were still the QBs in 2010. Ole Coach "Boom" would've been run out of town quicker than he could say "Hook em" after 2010. This was a fan base who actually believed :mack: could do no wrong. They found out quickly how much Colt and Shipley 1.0 meant to that program even with beloved :mack: at the helm.

sooneron
10/21/2012, 11:32 PM
:mack: was flipping nuts if he really thought he was going to beat Satan. Ol Nick was just toying with him for the better part of the game! This was a UTerus team that beat the Stoops MASH unit by a whopping 3 points in Dallas. They barely deserved to be there.

picasso
10/22/2012, 12:06 AM
They gave a few reach-arounds for the W over Nebbish that year.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/22/2012, 09:51 AM
COX DVR technology needs a serious upgrade

So does Comcast, that's why I have a TIVO Premier. Great system and I can import shows to my iPad as long as they ain't copy protected... (so far few shows are protected...).

goingoneight
10/22/2012, 10:09 AM
:mack: was flipping nuts if he really thought he was going to beat Satan. Ol Nick was just toying with him for the better part of the game! This was a UTerus team that beat the Stoops MASH unit by a whopping 3 points in Dallas. They barely deserved to be there.

Looked to me like Greg McElroy was the one teasing UT fans. Every time he dropped back to pass, something bad happened. Nick gave a Mortal Kombat-style "FINISH THEM" call his OC when it became apparent that Gilbert would beat them if they kept farting around.

sooneron
10/22/2012, 10:24 AM
Looked to me like Greg McElroy was the one teasing UT fans. Every time he dropped back to pass, something bad happened. Nick gave a Mortal Kombat-style "FINISH THEM" call his OC when it became apparent that Gilbert would beat them if they kept farting around.

Which begs the question, why pass when you have what they had in the backfield?

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2012, 10:44 AM
Which begs the question, why pass when you have what they had in the backfield?

They didn't pass much. As I recall McElroy had less than 100yds on very few attempts. It was Bama's DC who was messing up - he thought he could single cover Shipley and he got burned for a couple TDs. Once he wised up and doubled Shipley, the game was over.

VA Sooner
10/22/2012, 11:02 AM
Defense killed Garrett in the MNC. He had too many turnovers to give the 'horns a chance against Bama.

Mack had a chance to go out in style... now the active FBS coach with the most wins is potentially leaving with a mudhole in his honor.

Think it can't happen? Ask Bobby Bowden. They have to search for a reasonable HC replacement though and that will be challenging in today's world.

Jacie
10/23/2012, 04:13 PM
An indictment of being educated in the state of Texas from whornfans.com regular, caryhorn: We still have three tough games ahead: tech, tcu, ksu, and isu.

StoopTroup
10/23/2012, 04:16 PM
They are practicing again on the LWN....

Scott D
10/23/2012, 09:01 PM
Heh, now Mack says that the LHN is hurting Texas Football.

tycat947
10/23/2012, 09:27 PM
Mack is trying to deflect attention from the poor job he and his staff have done the last 3 years! This deflection MIGHT buy him another year in whornville!

AzianSooner
10/23/2012, 09:34 PM
By all means, I hope Mack is still the Horn's head coach. He is clearly not as good as Stoops.

texas bandman
10/23/2012, 09:36 PM
PS: NP is sick of Cox Cable, so we are getting LHN starting tomorrow, via ATT Uverse. Perhaps they're still showing reruns of the RRS? :D

I love my uverse. I've been forwarding all the juicy info I get from LHN to Bob and company. Stupid Shorthorns.

StoopTroup
10/23/2012, 09:50 PM
I love my uverse.

Same here. I did dump my bundled cell service with them and would dump the U-Verse too if i could find something as good but the TV Service is fantastic. I'm betting they will eventually find a way to screw it up too but for now....There doesn't seem to be a better TV Service than U-Verse. At least not in Tulsa.

SoonerKnight
10/23/2012, 10:53 PM
Same here. I did dump my bundled cell service with them and would dump the U-Verse too if i could find something as good but the TV Service is fantastic. I'm betting they will eventually find a way to screw it up too but for now....There doesn't seem to be a better TV Service than U-Verse. At least not in Tulsa.

Don't take this the wrong way but you suck with your U-Verse talk. I live in ****ing Denver and can not get fast internet service unless I subscribe to Comcast. No way in hell. On top of that Comcast and what used to be qwest made sure there is no other competition.

n8v_ndn
10/24/2012, 01:59 AM
Listening to the HORN this week has been very entertaining for a couple of reasons:

Their cow-eyed admiration from afar over what Muschamp has done at Florida. They keep reminding themselves how he was the HCIW and they're really getting off on his weirdo yelling he did at halftime of their last game. They keep asking why Brown doesn't have that intensity and how they need a coach willing to get after players the way him and...Bob Stoops does.

They're beginning to wonder if the LHN really is a mixed blessing. They think it makes UT so much money that the powers that be may not be swayed by moneybags donors who pressure for changes. If that's the case, there can't ever be much effective leverage to push Brown out. This week Brown was also complaining about other programs having an unfair advantage being able to see Longhorns practices on their channel, and how he's taking too much time away from coaching to do shows and whatnot. Some of the talking heads and fans are looking at this complaining and getting even more irritated with him.

HateTheWhorns
10/24/2012, 02:58 PM
Defense killed Garrett in the MNC. He had too many turnovers to give the 'horns a chance against Bama.

Mack had a chance to go out in style... now the active FBS coach with the most wins is potentially leaving with a mudhole in his honor.

Think it can't happen? Ask Bobby Bowden. They have to search for a reasonable HC replacement though and that will be challenging in today's world.

Could be challenging given the salaries that schools are willing to offer to keep coaches, but I have a strong suspicion that Gary Patterson is primed to become the next HC at Uterus. That would not be a good thing for OU, but will certainly make the OU-TU rivalry more interesting.

Statalyzer
10/25/2012, 09:44 AM
This was a fan base who actually believed Mack could do no wrong.

That has never been the case, not even in 2005.

With Will out of UT, and Greg Davis previously forced out, Mack really has nobody left, does he?

Harsin is a great assistant. Took it up Diaz is clearly not. With Applewhite it's hard to tell b/c he's overshadowed by Harsin, but he's a good recruiter at least.

They didn't pass much. As I recall McElroy had less than 100yds on very few attempts.

They only called 17 passes. 1 pick, 5 sacks, 6 completions, 5 incompletions.

why pass when you have what they had in the backfield?

You still have to keep the defense honest. Once we figured out we didn't have to play pass defense, Alabama's rushing offense stopped being successful and didn't score again until they got the ball on our 20 a couple of times.

It was Bama's DC who was messing up - he thought he could single cover Shipley and he got burned for a couple TDs. Once he wised up and doubled Shipley, the game was over.

He never really changed his coverage on Jordan Shipley. But he called a blindside blitz with perfect timing that caused a fumble.

I do agree he got too cocky thinking he had someone who could guard Shipley one on one. The funny thing is OU had already provided Alabama with a perfect example of how to play Texas' passing game that year and somehow Alabama must not have watched any film on it.

Ol Nick was just toying with him for the better part of the game! This was a UTerus team that beat the Stoops MASH unit by a whopping 3 points in Dallas

The idea that Alabama stopped trying to score in the 2nd half is pretty silly. Beating OU by only one score in 2009 didn't mean much any more than OU only beating a 5-7 Texas team by one score in 2010 meant anything. Losses are losses, and it just so happened that the underdog team played better than expected in back to back years, but still not quite good enough.