PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame, what makes them a top 5 team?

OU_Sooners75
10/21/2012, 03:22 PM
Honestly, what makes all the media pundits think they are a top 5 team?

Their toughest opponents have been Michigan and Stanford, and I think most everyone that watches a lot of football will know that neither of those teams are very good at all.

Notre Dame has a good defense, but I think a lot of it has to do with how good Texas Tech defense is. In other words, they haven't really played any good offenses or offenses with a lot of speed and weapons.

The Notre Dame offense is, well, crap!

If the crowd doesn't sit on their hands all game long. If the Sooners come out and play their best game possible. Then OU walks away with this one.

If OU plays like they did against KSU, they will likely struggle like they did against KSU, but still have a chance to beat them.

That said, IMHO, Notre Dame is not a top 5 team!

OUNASH
10/21/2012, 03:34 PM
Notre Dame is top 5 for thier name only. I have seen them play most of their games and have not been impressed. They have played a weak Big 10 schedule and Stanford, BYU should have beat them. If we play like we are capable I could see a major butt kicking ala Miami, FSU when they came to Norman.

cleller
10/21/2012, 03:35 PM
I hope you are right, and that we expose it.

Yet I hope all the ND loving ESPiN types will refuse to admit ND was overrated, so they will have to vote us up. Its only Sunday, but I've got my Friday stomach already.

MyT Oklahoma
10/21/2012, 03:38 PM
Notre Dame is top 5 for thier name only. I have seen them play most of their games and have not been impressed. They have played a weak Big 10 schedule and Stanford, BYU should have beat them. If we play like we are capable I could see a major butt kicking ala Miami, FSU when they came to Norman.

^^ This. I expect a pretty one sided game myself. We are on a roll and they are in the way.

LRoss
10/21/2012, 05:43 PM
Notre Dame is top 5 because they're undefeated and people can't vote for Ohio State.

Unless you want Oregon St or Rutgers above them?

Actually their computer average is under 3. It's true that they haven't beaten anybody really good. It's also true that if you asked voters if they were legitimately better than OU, LSU, USC, Georgia, etc. who they're ranked above, they would surely say no -- but it's just how the polls work.

Also, for what it's worth, although they haven't beaten anybody all that good, they also haven't played any FCS schools, which I think explains their high computer score.

Of course I agree that OU's objectively (as much as I can!) the better team, and especially playing at home will probably be about a 10 point favorite, and will cover easily if they play their best.

En_Fuego
10/21/2012, 06:04 PM
I'm just going to wing this one, no look-ups. The Catholic "Religion" is..............Well ? ...Hello.....Jerry is that you ?

Soonerwake
10/21/2012, 06:04 PM
I've been asking myself the same question all day.

1. Best defense we've faced all year!! Hmmm, ND is only giving up 9.4 pts/game, but the top offense they have faced is #54 in points per game. OU has faced 3 of the top 10 offenses in the country and will see 3 more, while only giving up 15.3 pts per game.

2. Their rushing offense is great!! Actually, OU's rushing for 4 more yards per game from a "spread offense". Oh, and we are passing for 94 yds/game more than ND..

3. Special teams?? Nope, OU has huge advantages there too, punt average, PR, KR, etc...

So, what am I missing other than the gold helmets??

SoonerStormchaser
10/21/2012, 06:24 PM
So, what am I missing other than the gold helmets??
The golden spoons shoved up the fanbase's collective asses?

BillyBall
10/21/2012, 06:42 PM
I just saw that it's opening at a 10 point spread.

SoonerofAlabama
10/21/2012, 06:46 PM
D-FENCE

MamaMia
10/21/2012, 06:51 PM
I just saw that it's opening at a 10 point spread.and they're ranked what?

BoulderSooner79
10/21/2012, 07:20 PM
7-0 record along with defensive stats. Simple as that. They've played some decent teams but no really good teams. Stanford is a legit #15-#18 I'd say and that's the best team they have faced. And Stanford is a run-first team with no real game breakers in the passing game, so they played into the ND strengths. We'll see how they can handle a team that has play makers and can pass the ball for real.

MichiganSooner
10/21/2012, 07:26 PM
They are undefeated and have their tradition. All we have to do is beat them.

yermom
10/21/2012, 07:29 PM
let's just hope it doesn't rain or anything on Saturday

that place should be electric though.

MamaMia
10/21/2012, 07:35 PM
let's just hope it doesn't rain or anything on Saturday

that place should be electric though.High 66 Low 38 and a 10% chance of rain for game day

BlownGP
10/21/2012, 07:53 PM
Man, I am so ready for this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!