PDA

View Full Version : RIP George, Never cared for yer politics at all

olevetonahill
10/21/2012, 07:30 AM
But it sounds like ya had a Long an decent life.

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/4s6uo2HXI6fdpMFTV3WhYw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9OTU0O2NyPTE7Y3c9MTE2NDtkeD0wO2 R5PTA7Zmk9dWxjcm9wO2g9NDcyO3E9ODU7dz01NzY-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/ffd3ce98ae7b9b1d1e0f6a706700d662.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/family-spokesman-george-mcgovern-dead-age-90-112752136--politics.html

Turd_Ferguson
10/21/2012, 08:08 AM
He'd had enough when a young man at the airport fence in Battle Creek, Mich., taunted that Nixon would clobber him. McGovern leaned in and said quietly: "I've got a secret for you. Kiss my ***." A conservative Senate colleague later told McGovern it was his best line of the campaign:biggrin:

olevetonahill
10/21/2012, 08:18 AM
:biggrin:

:biggrin::watermelon:

cleller
10/21/2012, 09:10 AM
Seems like it was the Nixon/Mcgovern election that the network news came out and said Nixon was going to win before the polls closed on the west coast. Lots of McGovern supporters then just stayed home, and turned it into a landslide win for Nixon. After that restrictions were put on announcing totals till all the polls had closed. At least, that's the way I remember it.

olevetonahill
10/21/2012, 09:21 AM
Seems like it was the Nixon/Mcgovern election that the network news came out and said Nixon was going to win before the polls closed on the west coast. Lots of McGovern supporters then just stayed home, and turned it into a landslide win for Nixon. After that restrictions were put on announcing totals till all the polls had closed. At least, that's the way I remember it.

I remember that

okie52
10/21/2012, 09:23 AM
A good guy. I think he was the first candidate I ever voted for in a presidential election.

Of course I waS smoking a lot of pot back then.

ouwasp
10/21/2012, 09:43 AM
my first political memory is sitting in my Grandpa's living room watching the '72 election results...my dad said "You know, if McGovern somehow comes back and wins, I think I'll just go home and cry..." The idea of seeing my Dad cry startled me!

My Grandpa offered this: "Son, you don't need to drive all that way to cry, you're welcome to cry right here." We all laughed when I realized they were joking. And Nixon went on to win the landslide.

cleller
10/21/2012, 10:48 AM
A good guy. I think he was the first candidate I ever voted for in a presidential election.

This is astounding, if I remember your general posting history. However, my biggest memory of McGovern was he was reputed to be in favor of decriminalizing marijuana. In my household, that was a pretty serious offense.

sappstuf
10/21/2012, 10:48 AM

Some things change and some things stay the same... ;)

MamaMia
10/21/2012, 11:14 AM
my first political memory is sitting in my Grandpa's living room watching the '72 election results...my dad said "You know, if McGovern somehow comes back and wins, I think I'll just go home and cry..." The idea of seeing my Dad cry startled me!

My Grandpa offered this: "Son, you don't need to drive all that way to cry, you're welcome to cry right here." We all laughed when I realized they were joking. And Nixon went on to win the landslide.I called my father really sad when Clinton beat Dole. I was disheartened that our country had gotten to the point that the majority of our citizens would vote for a draft dodging womanizer over a war hero. It may have happened before that day but it was then that I knew there was very little, if any, 'wholesome' left in this country.

olevetonahill
10/21/2012, 11:19 AM
I called my father really sad when Clinton beat Dole. I was disheartened that our country had gotten to the point that the majority of our citizens would vote for a draft dodging womanizer over a war hero. It may have happened before that day but it was then that I knew there was very little, if any, 'wholesome' left in this country.

Yup.

okie52
10/21/2012, 12:51 PM
This is astounding, if I remember your general posting history. However, my biggest memory of McGovern was he was reputed to be in favor of decriminalizing marijuana. In my household, that was a pretty serious offense.

Heh...I am embarrassed to say I can't remember if I actually voted for him or not...but it was the first presidential election where I could vote and I was for McGovern.

Shortly thereafter I was majoring in oil and gas and Carter came aLong and mcgovern was the last dem I would have supported for president.

okie52
10/21/2012, 12:54 PM
Some things change and some things stay the same... ;)

Well I'm usually just a victim of second hand smoke these days:biggrin:

SanJoaquinSooner
10/21/2012, 05:01 PM
"Right from the start"

rock on sooner
10/21/2012, 07:00 PM
I called my father really sad when Clinton beat Dole. I was disheartened that our country had gotten to the point that the majority of our citizens would vote for a draft dodging womanizer over a war hero. It may have happened before that day but it was then that I knew there was very little, if any, 'wholesome' left in this country.

Mama, I'd be careful talking about draft dodging, when Dubya had "questionable"
activity in the TX guard and his buddy, Cheney, had FIVE deferments, 'cause he
was too busy doing important things (his words). Jus' sayin'.

rock on sooner
10/21/2012, 07:04 PM
I remember that

You sober? Ya know, McGovern and his "stuff" brought about some
decent thought process, even though he got his butt kicked in the
elections. Some Dems that came later did some good because of
him.

diverdog
10/21/2012, 09:04 PM
McGovern was a bona fide war hero. Got the DFC with valor. A bunch of men would be dead if it were not for his skills and heroism.

LiveLaughLove
10/21/2012, 09:49 PM
McGovern was a bona fide war hero. Got the DFC with valor. A bunch of men would be dead if it were not for his skills and heroism.

Agreed. Hated his politics but always liked and respected him. I think he was a genuinely good person.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/21/2012, 10:50 PM
The night McGovern was nominated, the Republicans and the hippies partied together.

Nixon crushed him in the election, but karma is a bitch.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/22/2012, 10:04 AM
Hated his politics, but Thank You for your service. A B-24 Pilot with DFC over Europe. Now that's some balls.

Turd_Ferguson
10/22/2012, 10:48 AM
Hated his politics, but Thank You for your service. A B-24 Pilot with DFC over Europe. Now that's some balls.

^^^^^^^This.

StoopTroup
10/23/2012, 12:38 AM

I never voted for Clinton. It wasn't because of that draft dodger rhetoric either. I don't give stuff like that much credence when a Republican gives another Republican amnesty to save him from prosecution (President Ford). Especially when Draft Dodgers were also given amnesty.

I did know enough about Clinton's history as a politician and based on that...I had little trust in his ability to be a good POTUS. I voted for Dole same as you. I guess the difference I have after that is that people went after Clinton as POTUS because he cheated on his Wife. Hell....I knew that before he was even elected. So seeing Politicians, many who later left their Wives for their boyfriends, go after Clinton because of infidelity seemed more like a Witch Hunt than a reason to impeach him. I'm betting we could find any POTUS making enough of a mistake to impeach him. But....Should we? IMO not unless he maybe gets us involved in like a War on false pretenses? Stuff like that seems to have merit IMO. Maybe not. Maybe it should only matter if a POTUS is a Democrat? Yeah...that seems what our Founding Fathers wanted the future of America to become.

Draft Dodging Womanizer just doesn't seem to far from having your rich Daddy get you a gig in the National Guard, being a drunk that hardly showed up for service and continuing on afterwards to be a drunk and a womanizer for years.

Looking at the legacy of these two Presidents (Bill Clinton and GW Bush). I actually voted for GW Bush in 2000 and later realized I made a huge error in judgement. I'll take the two Clinton Terms over the two GW Bush Terms every time. Anyone that wouldn't....is welcome to their opinion but I really think Clinton cleaned up his act and his Legacy isn't without a scar....but it also doesn't seem to be missing two arms, two legs and both it's testicles blown off like GW Bush's two term did.

soonercruiser
10/25/2012, 11:18 PM

That explains a lot!
And the last two years of highschool were a "blur".
Wait! Then, you should be a liberal!
:playful:

SanJoaquinSooner
10/26/2012, 07:58 AM
That explains a lot!

That was back when everybody was a liberal. Except for William F. Buckley, any other conservative was a "closet conservative."

okie52
10/26/2012, 09:39 AM
That explains a lot!

More like the 1st 2 years of college...and I think I was a liberal...certainly a democrat.

sappstuf
10/26/2012, 10:47 AM
More like the 1st 2 years of college...and I think I was a liberal...certainly a democrat.

I'm sure Dem policies make a lot more since when you are smoking..