PDA

View Full Version : Starting defense...wow!

OU_Sooners75
10/20/2012, 10:39 PM
I'm not posting this to talk about BV. This post is being made solely to provide some interesting numbers by the starting defense and how well they are improving under Mike Stoops.

Actual points scored vs. The Starting Defense:

UTEP: 0
FAMU: 13
KSU: 17
TTU: 13
UTerus: 0
KU: 0

Average: 7.167 points/game

Passing Yards allowed by starters:

UTEP: 48
FAMU: 174
KSU: 154
TTU: 271
UTerus: 215
KU: 124

Average: 164.333 passing yards/game

I am currently working on the rushing yards given up by the starters only.

MamaMia
10/20/2012, 10:47 PM
Impressive. Thanks.

goingoneight
10/20/2012, 11:02 PM
Gotta keep it up, though. Nice to see good D back in Norman.

Soonerjeepman
10/21/2012, 12:10 AM
of ksu's 17 points 7 was from a pic deep in OU territory..right?..yes they should defend that but hard after pic..

OU_Sooners75
10/21/2012, 12:21 AM
of ksu's 17 points 7 was from a pic deep in OU territory..right?..yes they should defend that but hard after pic..

Still points that occurred with the #1 defense on the field.

Widescreen
10/21/2012, 01:21 AM
Noticed an interesting thing in the box score. KU had the ball 40:11 and we only had it 19:49. I don't know that I remember a larger disparity. Our defense did a good job not getting winded.

OU_Sooners75
10/21/2012, 10:04 AM
Great use of our rotation.

BoulderSooner79
10/21/2012, 10:38 AM
Noticed an interesting thing in the box score. KU had the ball 40:11 and we only had it 19:49. I don't know that I remember a larger disparity. Our defense did a good job not getting winded.

Yes, the 2 long kick returns really skew the stats. They take 2 complete series off the score sheet for the offense. That includes time of possession and all the yards and points that might have resulted. The way our offense was clicking, we would have probably added a fair amount to all columns.

JLMSOONER
10/21/2012, 11:29 AM
Well I definitely think we are better and keep improving. I guess I'm not bought in to the hype that we can play with good competition. The last 3 games were impressive but I'm not convinced they were good competition. I hope we dominate the domers but if we win a good hard fought battle I think that would say more for this team. After 4 plus years I fell off of the Landry bandwagon during the k state game. I think Landry has looked like we all have expected a 5th year senior with 3 seasons as a starter under his belt to look. However, I am afraid he is one good pressure or sack from turning into the Landry we hate. Brown, Saunders and Shephard have helped a lot. The D has looked good but I am afraid a good O line and no pressure and we will look porous.

BoulderSooner79
10/21/2012, 11:43 AM
Well I definitely think we are better and keep improving. I guess I'm not bought in to the hype that we can play with good competition. The last 3 games were impressive but I'm not convinced they were good competition. I hope we dominate the domers but if we win a good hard fought battle I think that would say more for this team. After 4 plus years I fell off of the Landry bandwagon during the k state game. I think Landry has looked like we all have expected a 5th year senior with 3 seasons as a starter under his belt to look. However, I am afraid he is one good pressure or sack from turning into the Landry we hate. Brown, Saunders and Shephard have helped a lot. The D has looked good but I am afraid a good O line and no pressure and we will look porous.

What's that old saying about complaining if you're hung with a new rope? This team does not have a bunch of star players or sure fire NFL prospects and yet they are playing extremely well as a team. I guess one could complain about recruiting and *why* we don't have more individual stars. But given the roster, I am extremely pleased with how they have improved with every game and where they are now. If the trend continues, this season will go down as a great coaching job by the staff regardless of which bowl we go to.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/21/2012, 01:31 PM

With the addition of Saunders (who looks like one of those 90's FSU WRs) this is the most talented we've EVER been at WR. Couple that with Williams and Millard out of the backfield and Landry has weapons all over the field for any situation (wish we had a TE, but alas). Geez, some of those guys didn't have a defender within 20 yards of them yesterday.

On D, Wort played really well against KU, so maybe his bench time has turned him around. DE is an embarrassment of riches with guys like Favors and Lindley who'd be starters at most schools on 3rd string at OU. The secondary is playing out of their minds and getting better. The only question is whether they can handle the wear and tear of 9 straight games.

doctorjj
10/21/2012, 07:54 PM
With the addition of Saunders (who looks like one of those 90's FSU WRs) this is the most talented we've EVER been at WR. Couple that with Williams and Millard out of the backfield and Landry has weapons all over the field for any situation (wish we had a TE, but alas). Geez, some of those guys didn't have a defender within 20 yards of them yesterday.

On D, Wort played really well against KU, so maybe his bench time has turned him around. DE is an embarrassment of riches with guys like Favors and Lindley who'd be starters at most schools on 3rd string at OU. The secondary is playing out of their minds and getting better. The only question is whether they can handle the wear and tear of 9 straight games.

Most talented we've ever been at WR? 2004 team was ridiculous at WR. Mark Clayton, Mark Bradley, Brandon Jones, and Travis Wilson. All 4 of those guys played on Sunday.

picasso
10/21/2012, 08:53 PM
Most talented we've ever been at WR? 2004 team was ridiculous at WR. Mark Clayton, Mark Bradley, Brandon Jones, and Travis Wilson. All 4 of those guys played on Sunday.
True but I think we're deeper now. Neal may not get to see the field the rest of the season.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/22/2012, 12:17 AM

Yep. The major difference here is that Jones and Bradley were one trick ponies -> Big guys with speed. Right now you have Brown that fills that same gap. Wilson and Stills are basically the same player though Stills is more talented. That leaves Clayton to compare with Saunders and Sheperd which I think is favorable to this group.

JLMSOONER
10/22/2012, 07:46 AM
Well I wasn't complaining b I was just stating that yeah, we've been looking pretty good, but the competition hasn't really made it a challenge. One good sack and that blank Landry look changes the game.

BermudaSooner
10/22/2012, 09:12 AM
How did a discussion about our defense turn into a Landry bash? Anybody else notice we didn't score at all in the 4th quarter with Bell at the helm?

And yes, the defense looking very good--wish they could have stepped it up and given our Offense one last shot in the KSU game, but other than that, no complaints.

Widescreen
10/22/2012, 10:23 AM
Anybody else notice we didn't score at all in the 4th quarter with Bell at the helm?

I'd like to see Bell get to run our regular offense with the 1st teamers.

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2012, 10:29 AM
Bell looked pretty good running the regular offense. 2nd line receivers dropped passes that would have continued drives, so we had to punt too soon. He threw to guys that were more tightly covered than LJ had earlier. That could have been because the 2nd line receivers were not getting separation or maybe Bell wasn't going through his reads - couldn't really tell. I'll bet we have an open competition for starting QB next year and we'll get solid play out of that position no matter who emerges.

ouflak
10/22/2012, 10:37 AM
It is odd. Someone keeps talking trash about Landry Jones in a thread about our defense. Very strange....

JLMSOONER
10/22/2012, 04:17 PM
If you read the original post I made I did discuss the D. Just not bought into the hype yet due to competition. If the flowers smell good to you keep sniffing them. If the D you are blowing up lays an egg against domer or anyone else for that matter you guys will be on them too. He'll everyone jumped on them for the little guy at utep or famu that ran all over the field. Either case I like the improvement I just want to see the good play against competition. Landry got in there because a bad play or 2 which he is easily capable of puts the D in a hole and we struggle. So carry on about the great D we are playing. I hope you don't fall off of the cloud.

HateTheWhorns
10/22/2012, 05:47 PM

Sorry to chime in (as I rarely have over the past 12 yrs), but is this post for real? I haven't looked up any stats but isn't TTU, TU, and KSU three of the most prolific offenses in the country? Gave up 17 (sort of), 13, and 0. Looks like a pretty good improvement to me.

Wishboned
10/22/2012, 06:01 PM
Sorry to chime in (as I rarely have over the past 12 yrs), but is this post for real? I haven't looked up any stats but isn't TTU, TU, and KSU three of the most prolific offenses in the country? Gave up 17 (sort of), 13, and 0. What a ******.

As far as scoring offense goes:

Texas is 6th at 44.4 ppg.
Texas Tech is 10th at 42.9 ppg.
Kansas State is tied with Texas Tech at 42.9.

PLaw
10/22/2012, 06:13 PM
Great use of our rotation.

Yeah, I was watching TOP during game. It looked like Walker and McFarland had 90% of the snaps. Props to those big boys. And, like the sharks, they played like irate silverbacks.

Boomer

PLaw
10/22/2012, 06:15 PM
How did a discussion about our defense turn into a Landry bash? Anybody else notice we didn't score at all in the 4th quarter with Bell at the helm?

And yes, the defense looking very good--wish they could have stepped it up and given our Offense one last shot in the KSU game, but other than that, no complaints.

Score??? Heck, I don't think we had a first down. LJ haters gotta complain about something.

VA Sooner
10/22/2012, 06:46 PM
Defense has been a huge surprise in just one year. The secondary is amazing...

And with the addition of McGee back in the D-line, it can only get more stout.

MountainOkie
10/22/2012, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I was watching TOP during game. It looked like Walker and McFarland had 90% of the snaps. Props to those big boys. And, like the sharks, they played like irate silverbacks.

Boomer

Gives a pleasant mental picture. Good description.

JLMSOONER
10/22/2012, 08:23 PM
Ok. I'm in. Best D in sooner history. I forgot how good tense and TT were. I'm sure everyone really believes those rankings. Top 10 my *ss. Statistically speaking I'm sure they are. Oh and wait. Everyone is on the bandwagon of how strong their schedules Are right? As for Landry I supported him bar none until ksu this year. He is a 5th year sr. Not many teams have a 5th year sr with this many starts. But I will wait. As soon as something goes wrong you guys will whine like babies. I love this team. I'm just not j*rkin off yet be ause we ain't played nobody. When we be the domers i will believe a little more. She. We win out I'll be feelin it. When we beat bama for number 8 I'm all in. I love the sooners but I'm a realist. We still haven't played tough competition.

blacktop
10/22/2012, 09:10 PM
Agree on the tough competition but TT was an away game in really hostile territory & the Whorns had a half a stadium of Bevo barf on their side. I just wish we had been able to shut down the Kansas running game. I keep watching the reruns and we gave up too many yards after seemingly we had them stopped. ND is coming in here with a decent running offense (285 yards a game). We will need Stacy back and everyone on D to be stout to throttle the Domers.

JLMSOONER
10/22/2012, 09:36 PM
Thank you blacktop. I'm not saying we suck. Just that we haven't been tested tough. Granted TT was hostile and not a place we have played well. Tejas is not home but not really away. We all know they suck though bits all over this board. I just want to see good play on both sides of the ball when the chips are down.

picasso
10/22/2012, 10:58 PM
Good lord who around here is saying this is the best defense we've ever had, even under Stoops? You have to be a blind crotchety old bastard to deny the fact that we are ten times better than we were last season.
That squad would have given up many points by now.

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2012, 11:57 PM
Good lord who around here is saying this is the best defense we've ever had, even under Stoops? You have to be a blind crotchety old bastard to deny the fact that we are ten times better than we were last season.
That squad would have given up many points by now.

^^This. Maybe we are reading different threads, JLMSOONER, but I just read that people are very happy with the D improvement over last year. And I concur; I'm especially happy with how quickly it has happened as I thought it would take most the season to see a difference. We don't have the studs to match some of Mike's previous units at OU or the current ones at Bama/LSU. So if that is your expectation, then yeah, you'll be disappointed.

And as far as tough competition, we have already seen as tough as we're going to see on our schedule in KSU and TT. We may see similarly tough teams in ND, TCU and OSU but not tougher. Some team is likely to test us again as KSU did, and hopefully we'll pass this time.

HateTheWhorns
10/23/2012, 01:49 PM
No one is accusing you of saying that OU's D sucks. If you were, then you would probably be ban for life and given a lifetime membership to hornfans.com and irishenvy.com. If you simply go back to the origin of this thread, it was all about the interesting numbers that the OU D has put up thus far. Clearly, the OU D is leaps and bounds ahead of last year with the primary off-season change being at D-Coordinator. We have played 3 of the top 13 teams (in terms of PPG) and we have held them to a combined 64 pts below their season avg and 101 points below their season avg (if you eliminate the points given up by our O, ST, and 2nd team D). Not sure what show you are watching, but if it is going to take a shut down of Alabama's offense in the NC game to convince you then there is not much else to say.

StoopTroup
10/23/2012, 02:19 PM
Score??? Heck, I don't think we had a first down. LJ haters gotta complain about something.

Hell the OP had to bring up Brent Venables. The Coach Haters, the QB Haters...they all have to **** on something. You can bring up a bunch of stats about a guy who worked with the last DC for years and then **** all over him and try to give the New Guy a Trophy before the Season is already over.

Haters are going to hate. Stupid is as Stupid does. Then there is the "Bob is a Loyal Dog" Haters.

This is the 14th year of some pretty darn good football Teams led under one of the best Active Coaches in America. We have had ups and downs and moments of glory. Fans need to just realize that every time someone thinks Bob can't win the Big Game...he does. Every time Brent was done.....he wasn't. Every time Landry cost us a game....he had you on your feet cheering about a great play the next week.

We are very blessed that Mike is back here as our DC. It was obvious his Brother was concerned for him and together they are a great Team. I hope it stays that way for years to come. I hated to see Mike go back in 2004 but everyone should take their shot at a Head Coaching position when it's being offered. I also think if he'd been given more time at AZ....he would have won a Pac12 Title there. Arizona like Texas Tech and Kansas decided to make a change. It's their Football Team and their fault if things don't get better.

Arizona did us a huge favor and Bob did a great job of keeping Mike here instead of Urban Meyer stealing him away. It cost us Brent Venables who was our DC here for the years after Mike left but I still have nothing but respect for Brent just like I did for Mike when he left OU. If we didn't....I think Mike would be Coaching at Ohio State.