PDA

View Full Version : Good article about Mark Mangino....

bmjlr
10/19/2012, 10:25 AM
After wife's cancer treatments, Mark Mangino is ready to get back to coaching

After an almost three-year hiatus, Mark Mangino is ready to coach football again.

Mangino thought he'd be back by now, but his wife's breast cancer diagnosis last year put career ambitions on hold.

Mary Jane Mangino's condition — which has improved; she had her final treatment a few weeks ago, and doctors are optimistic — has helped the former Kansas coach and Oklahoma offensive coordinator learn an important lesson on priorities.

“It was a no-brainer,” Mark Mangino told The Oklahoman in a telephone interview from Naples, Fla., where he and his wife live.

“My family comes before the game. It's helped me get things in perspective, too. She's joked with me, ‘Winning and losing football games isn't really a matter of life or death is it?'

“I said, ‘No, it's not. It's not.'”

Kansas and Oklahoma — the last two stops on Mangino's career path — meet Saturday at 6 p.m. on Owen Field.

The Jayhawks are in their first season under Charlie Weis, the second KU coach since Mangino's successful seven-year run came to a disappointing, controversial end over accusations that Mangino was emotionally abusive to players.

The Kansas football program experienced unprecedented success under Mangino, peaking with a 12-1 season and Orange Bowl victory in 2007-08. The Jayhawks' overall record during Mangino's tenure was 50-48.

Mangino resigned after a 5-7 season in 2009.

His immediate successor, Turner Gill, was fired after two seasons with a 1-16 conference record.

So far in 2012, under Weis, the Jayhawks are 1-5 overall and 0-3 in the Big 12.

“I have had no contact with anybody in the program since I left,” Mangino said.

“Do I follow them? I wouldn't say I go out of my way to follow the team, but I do have a place in my heart for the kids on the team that played for me or were recruited by me. I would love to see them have some success. ... I have no ill-will toward the football program or the players at Kansas.”

Mangino said he's proud of what he — along with his assistants and players — accomplished in Lawrence, Kan., touting his “Character First” program to instill good values, the advanced cardiac screenings to detect potential heart problems and his Jayhawks' solid academic record.

“By and large I am proud of what we did,” Mangino said. “I can't control what others think; I can only control my own thinking.

“But any good coach — or any good person who values their occupation — when they have time off like I have, they use it for a period of reflection, and I have done that. ... Anytime you spend a period of time anywhere, you always say, ‘Next time I'll do this a little different, or that a little differently.'”

Mary Jane Mangino's illness opened her husband's eyes to the importance of keeping things in perspective. Many coaches, and especially successful ones, are so focused on winning that they can lose sight of other priorities.

“You get wrapped up in your football team and trying to make them better, trying to win games, and your vision becomes like a tunnel,” Mangino said. “Next thing you know, you have no idea what's going on. Your kids are involved in things, and your wife tells you but you barely hear it or retain it. You become obsessed with this quest for winning and excellence.

“I think my wife's situation here has really changed my perspective. I think what I've learned is that life is precious, so let's enjoy it.”

After Mary Jane's final treatment a few weeks ago, she gave her husband an explicit order that he intends to follow.

“She's given me a directive: Go find a coaching job,” Mark Mangino said. “So we'll see what happens. I don't know where it will be. Could be anywhere.”

Could it be Oklahoma? Mangino was an OU assistant from 1999-2001; he was offensive coordinator for the Sooners' national-title run in 2000.

Mangino's daughter lives in Tulsa, and he's been back to Norman “five or six times” since leaving Kansas, he said.

“There are no openings there, and I don't anticipate any openings there, at least not as we speak,” Mangino said. “Would it be something I would think about if there was an opportunity? Yes, but I just can't sit around and wait to see if something happens at Oklahoma.”

Still, he said he loved his time in the Sooner State because of the people.

“The Oklahoma people remind me of the people from where I'm from in Western Pennsylvania; we just felt so comfortable there,” Mangino said. “We felt like we were at home.”

Mangino is open to being either a head coach or an assistant; one thing he won't be, though, is so engaged that he loses sight of what really matters.

“It has really woken me up and my priorities have changed, but don't think I ever lost the desire to win,” Mangino said. “That's still something that's very, very important to me.

“How I go about it ... I think I'll change that course a little bit the second time around.”

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-after-wifes-cancer-treatments-mark-mangino-is-ready-to-get-back-to-coaching/article/3720188/?page=1

Breadburner
10/19/2012, 10:31 AM
Arky....

badger
10/19/2012, 11:54 AM
Maybe not a head coaching job, but someone will give Mangino a chance. If Heupel/Norvell don't want to continue the co-off track, I wouldn't mind seeing Marky Mark back :)

cherokeebrewer
10/19/2012, 11:58 AM
Arky....

That would give new meaning to "woo pig sooowie"

Ok, I'm just kidding. I've always liked 'the fat man' and thought it was dumb of KU to fire him...

AzianSooner
10/19/2012, 05:51 PM
Bringing a Kansas team all the way up to win a BCS bowl game has proven his coaching skill.

I hope one day OU can have him back to this staff. It will be a Nation Champ again and again with Mike and Mark on both sides of the team.

Widescreen
10/19/2012, 06:07 PM
A lot of people have short memories about Mangino's tenure at OU. It wasn't all rainbows and unicorns. We lost way too many OL while he was our OC and not from injury.

StoopTroup
10/19/2012, 06:38 PM
I was wondering why he didn't just jump right back into it all. That's a very good reason especially if he didn't need a Coaching Job to keep things going through it all. I commend him for being there with her.

Awesome guy and an Awesome Coach IMO.

8timechamps
10/19/2012, 07:52 PM
Mangino is (or at least was) a great offensive mind. I also heard he was a very tough coach. Players (and people) either loved him, or loathed him. Under the right situation, I think Mangino could again be a very successful coach. I have mixed feelings about any kind of return to OU, but I don't think that's a real possibility anyway. I wish him luck in his next job.

8timechamps
10/19/2012, 11:16 PM
Found this while perusing a "rumor" column, thought I'd share:

Head coaching possibilities may be be slim. Buffalo or Central Michigan could be options if Jeff Quinn or Dan Enos aren't retained after the season. And there may be an outside possibility Mangino could replace Bill Snyder at Kansas State. Mangino coached under Snyder for eight seasons (1991-'98).

Wouldn't that be crazy?!

OU_Sooners75
10/19/2012, 11:49 PM
A lot of people have short memories about Mangino's tenure at OU. It wasn't all rainbows and unicorns. We lost way too many OL while he was our OC and not from injury.

And the ones he lost were also the ones that went on to do what exactly? They were the ones that didn't want to put in the hard work he demanded from his OL.

I agree attrition under Mangino was an issue. But he also had a hand in having some very good OL here at OU.

IMHO, a player needs to put in the work expected, if they can't, then go away!

Oh and we are still having attrition issues on the OL. So what's different now than then?

StoopTroup
10/19/2012, 11:59 PM
Found this while perusing a "rumor" column, thought I'd share:

Wouldn't that be crazy?!

I'm not sure how possible it is but I got an up close and personal ear full of him Coaching OUr guys at one of the Red and White Games I went to before he left. He is intense a Coach as I have ever seen. I can understand why some folks might feel he's a bit to intense....but I get the feeling Bob would hire him if we had an opening.

That just depends on a lot of variables though from the sound of things. We are currently in mid-season so I'd imagine Mark is putting his name out there now and seeing what develops.

I wish him the best.

picasso
10/20/2012, 12:06 AM
I heard Al and Traber talking about him today and did you know he has to be the greatest KU coach of all time? The only coach with a record above .500, and with a BCS victory.

Widescreen
10/20/2012, 12:26 AM
Oh and we are still having attrition issues on the OL. So what's different now than then?

Most of our attrition now is due to injuries which can't be blamed on a coach (except Schmitty I guess).

OU_Sooners75
10/20/2012, 12:39 AM
Most of our attrition now is due to injuries which can't be blamed on a coach (except Schmitty I guess).

Injuries? You mean attrition should happen when 2 starters go down before the season?

Yes, those injuries aren't on the coaches. But the depth before the injuries are.

It doesn't matter how the attrition occurs, unless you have 17 OL and 10 get hurt. Not the case here now. We just don't have the numbers when it comes to quality depth, even before injury.

OU_Sooners75
10/20/2012, 12:44 AM
I heard Al and Traber talking about him today and did you know he has to be the greatest KU coach of all time? The only coach with a record above .500, and with a BCS victory.

Not true from them.

Looking at the coaching record history, Mangino would rank 6th in winning percentage with more than 2 years on the job.

10/20/2012, 06:14 AM

Well, I'll be.

cleller
10/20/2012, 08:01 AM
Lordy, I wish we could create something for a guy with his coaching talent. Call him the Co-Assistant-Commander of Offensive theater or whatever, just get him here.

Very frustrating that he is now available, but we are full of coaches with arguably less talent in a few positions.

BeaSooner
10/20/2012, 10:13 AM
Maybe Kevin Wilson will offer Patton a job at Hoosierville and Mangino can come be the OL coach. Hell, Patton is a Wilson guy anyway.

8timechamps
10/20/2012, 12:13 PM
Maybe Kevin Wilson will offer Patton a job at Hoosierville and Mangino can come be the OL coach. Hell, Patton is a Wilson guy anyway.

Don't look now, but the Hoosiers may be developing into a decent team. Probably next year though.

MamaMia
10/20/2012, 12:50 PM
I wish him the best but didn't we have players under him leaving the team for unexplained reasons when he was here?